Sony The PlayStation Platinum Club

Fire Queen

official GWF wolfmistress (sometimes) | she/they
GW Elder
What made you prefer 3 over 5, and 5 over 4, FQ?
3 has aigis

5 has some good music and characters even if the story is eh

4 is the one that has the most infuriating relationship with what it considers its themes and that’s before you even get to the fact that you have to put up with teddie

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
3 has aigis

5 has some good music and characters even if the story is eh

4 is the one that has the most infuriating relationship with what it considers its themes and that’s before you even get to the fact that you have to put up with teddie
This is 100% a perfect take.

My friends think I'm crazy because I cannot fucking stand Teddie.

I'll catch up and reply over here soon-ish. But, hold the phone!

Petulant, sexist, homophobic raging megadouche Yosuke Hanamura is right there and we're gonna dunk on beloved national idiot treasure Teddie instead? I'm wounded! 😂

I haven't played P4 since like 2009, so I do wonder how my perceptions will change once I get around to playing P4 Golden in 2089. 🤔

the thing is that rpgs (indeed, media in general) has evolved beyond the need for the Weird Womanizer trope
Oh, absolutely. It always feels out of place and is completely unnecessary, plus routinely ends up clashing with other themes for what are (usually) one-off gags. Like the whole thing with P5's Ryuji only doesn't top my annoyances list because Yosuke has such a strangehold on being a dickbag.

Yosuke is the Dipshit Buddy, the easiest to ignore of the Persona Tropes
I used to actually like Junpei, amusingly enough.

Boy did FeMC route change that though. ...Bonus points for VA Vic McSexpest having been cast for that role. Perfect fit in retrospect, aged like milk. Here's hoping Reload fares better! 👀

You named all of the games I have lmao, except for Star Ocean. I have Nier, Tales of Graces F, and Tales of Xilia. I also have Persona 5 Royal for the Switch (gifted). So I'll get around to all of those... eventually...

The Persona series is kind of a mindfuck for me. There's so many different versions and titles that I don't know what to make of it. What is like the Persona 5 game to have? Which console?
Any console should be fine. There are essentially just two versions of P4 and P5, and three (soon-to-be-four) versions of P3.

P5: Original release, PS3/4 only. Dungeons are notoriously padded, some more than others.
P5 Royal: Upgraded release, available on all platforms (except PS3). Some parts of dungeons have been streamlined, there are two new Social Links, and there's an epilogue/"third semester" with new story. Said new content is entirely missable if certain prerequisites aren't met.

P4: Original release, for PS2. Might have been a PS2 Classic on PS3 at one point I don't remember off-hand.
P4 Golden: Upgraded/remaster release, available on all platforms (plus Vita). Has 2 new Social Links and epilogue chapter/expanded ending that is, again, completely missable if certain prerequisites aren't met.

The actual clusterfuck:
P3: Original release, PS2 only.
P3 FES (Festival): Expanded version of original game, PS2 + maybe PS2 Classics. New Social Links (Aegis!), new scenarios and cutscenes, new post-game epilogue scenario ("The Answer") that expands on the original ending and is exceedingly, frustratingly difficult.
P3 Portable: Massively stripped down PSP release. You control a cursor over a prerendered background instead of having a 3D avatar. Cutscenes are portraits only with no 3D models doing animations. You can directly control your party members finally, Persona Fusion and Skill Inheritance have underdone extensive QoL adjustments. Is based on the vanilla game and does not necessarily include all additional scenarios added in FES, IIRC. Biggest addition: The ability to select a female main character, who has her own Social Links (including the male party members) and some slight tweaks to the story - like Junpei being a sexist pig to you for a lot of the game.
P3 Reload: Comes out next month, seems to be using a modified version of assets rigged up for P5. Is based on the vanilla version of the game, but does at least contain Aegis's Social Link. May or may not include all of the scenarios and events added in FES, such as the school festival. Does not include The Answer nor the female protagonist; ergo, there is still no definitive version of this game.

I should've mentioned I'm a Xenowhore. I've played all the releases since Wii, except for XC3. I still have it, but I'm waiting for Ramadan when work timings will be chill AF and allow me to get a lot of gaming done.
If Switch is an available tinker toy for experiencing RPGs, grab Grandia HD Collection. I can't speak for the quality (or lack thereof, depending) of the "Remastering" effort, but the first Grandia is in many respects the joy of adventuring in a JRPG made manifest. The series also has a pretty nice take on the Active Time Battle combat system, where it's technically turn-based but your actions can delay/cancel enemy turns. Grandia II, meanwhile, is held up as one of the best RPGs out there - and from what I can remember, I agree it's a great game. Regretfully my memory of the time period I played this is complete shit and "Yeah, I really enjoyed it" is about the entirety of what I can say. :chuckle

One thing about P4 I heard is that the Gold edition is actually a downgrade from vanilla. I'm not sure why, and I know not everyone thinks this, but I guess that's why I find it a little confusing.
Hmm, without having played Golden (in a timely manner) I couldn't weigh in too much on finer details/changes. I can at least say that it's not a downgrade like P3/FES -> P3P is, so if anything it would probably fall more into the category of the new content distracting from the original story pacing-wise. Or concerns over difficulty, perhaps? Though I would be surprised if P4G doesn't have difficulty modes to potentially alleviate that.

You're probably fine just doing P4G and not worrying about P4, if you wanted to take that particular entry for a spin.

Finished 100%ing Dead Space 2 today. I booted up my GTA4:CE hoping to get started on the main game missions, but the game doesn't want to cooperate with my PS3 :/

I get to the part where I can choose which game to play, and when I choose the main game, I get a few "trademark" and logo screens, and then the screen just goes black and the game never loads. What a pain in the ass :/

edit: aaaaaaaaand it's working. After I installed the Ballad of Gay Tony, I had no problems loading up the main game and installing it.

edit2: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand after the initial cutscene I get stuck on the loading screen forever. wth

Last edited:
With the release of The Last of Us Part II Remastered today, it presents an interesting problem. It seems the game will auto-pop if you have a save file on your Playstation. You can stop this by deleting (or transferring to the cloud) your save file. I will definitely buy the game because I'd like to play No Return and experience the other bonus content, but I'm not sure if I should save myself the ~60 hours and take the auto-pop, or actually get the platinum a second time. I don't really like either outcome; it would have been better if this game only added the DLC trophies for No Return.

I notice a ton of PS4 -> PS5 cross-buys/cross-progressions/upgrades/Remasters do this. There's either a concerted effort to try to drive engagement by publishers/developers, or Sony has another really silly policy in place.

I'd take the "free" trophies/Platinums personally. Can still totally replay the game if we wanted, just removes the obnoxious parts.

Now if I could just convince Sony and Microsoft to allow all multiplatform games to do it I'd be totally set for life. I mean outside of the ones that sort of do because they have dedicated, independent servers like FF14/PSO2/Master Duel. 👀

I get to the part where I can choose which game to play, and when I choose the main game, I get a few "trademark" and logo screens, and then the screen just goes black and the game never loads. What a pain in the ass :/

edit: aaaaaaaaand it's working. After I installed the Ballad of Gay Tony, I had no problems loading up the main game and installing it.

edit2: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand after the initial cutscene I get stuck on the loading screen forever. wth
Oof, that sucks. I know on the Xbox side, the game is wonky insofar that people with the DLC downloaded via the marketplace and those with the DLC installed from the Episodes from Liberty City disc can't connect to one another for some asinine reason or another. Haven't heard of anything like this before though.

So GTA4 won't load the opening cutscene anymore. I've given up on it. I think it's an issue with the disc. I noticed a scratch shaped like a hook drawn by someone with hand tremors near the edge of the disc. That could be causing the problem. I guess I'll have to shelve my GTA4 attempt for the time being. I'm just perpetually in fear of servers going down forever. Anyway, meanwhile I guess I'll work on my Dead Space 3 platinum. There's an online component, so I'mma try to bang that out as quickly as possible too.

On the subject of GTA, there was a very subdued and generally short notice announcement regarding Grand Theft Auto V losing some functionality that I only happened to catch while browsing TA out of boredom:

Article:
Rockstar is shutting down the Rockstar Editor for the Xbox One version of GTA 5, and unfortunately, it looks like up to ten Grand Theft Auto V achievements will be discontinued because of the change.

The Rockstar Editor will be removed from GTA 5 on Xbox One and PS4 on February 20, 2024, and as per a Rockstar support page, the developer says the change is "necessary to allow us to support ongoing updates to these games on both platforms."

From what we can tell, the removal of the Rockstar Editor will potentially discontinue up to ten achievements in GTA 5, specifically from the Grand Theft Auto Online Freemode Events update. They are as follows:
  • First Time Director
  • Method Actor
  • Animal Lover
  • Vinewood Visionary
  • Ensemble Piece
  • Cult Movie
  • Location Scout
  • Majestic
  • Humans of Los Santos
  • Cryptozoologist
While it's possible that achievements related to the Director Mode may not be discontinued, we've included them just in case, as the mode is tied heavily to the Rockstar Editor.

Of course, the achievements listed above in the Japanese Grand Theft Auto V Xbox One stack will also likely be impacted. The Xbox Series X|S stack of GTA V will remain unaffected as the removal of the Rockstar Editor only applies to the Xbox One version.

Wow, thanks for the update. I'll have to look into getting as many of those as possible, since I'm playing the PS4 version. Based on True Trophies, it looks like all of those pertain to a DLC that only takes 2-3 hours to get, so I'll make it a priority to knock those out this week.
Only if you've completed portions of the main game. The DLC trophy timing assumes you're not starting from scratch.

If you're crunched for time like me, this guide streamlines the whole 100% process. Normally I like playing at my own pace, but missables are a pain in the ass -- especially in a game as big as GTA5

Wow, thanks for the update. I'll have to look into getting as many of those as possible, since I'm playing the PS4 version. Based on True Trophies, it looks like all of those pertain to a DLC that only takes 2-3 hours to get, so I'll make it a priority to knock those out this week.
Guide included this time:

I do plan to take a stab at it eventually, but I've heard one of the DLCs is near impossible, so it might be only a plat for me.
Without even looking at the details:

oof.png

Those ratios are fucking nuts. Twice as high as the highest ratio'd achievement I have to date.

I would assume bare minimum you'd require a static group that's good at coordinating. 👀

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
#53: Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin

This game was not what I expected in the best way possible. Came to the catalog in December and has reinvigorated me into gaming. It's a blend of Nioh and Final Fantasy with a minimalist story (not a lot of cutscenes either) with an extremely extensive post-game. The season pass is on my watch list. It's $20 now, if it drops to $10 I could see myself getting it.

Very easy plat too. You can do a first playthrough blind. There's no missable trophies and only one playthrough is needed.

This game was not what I expected in the best way possible. Came to the catalog in December and has reinvigorated me into gaming. It's a blend of Nioh and Final Fantasy with a minimalist story (not a lot of cutscenes either) with an extremely extensive post-game.
Unexpected success story, huzzah! 🎉

The season pass is on my watch list. It's $20 now, if it drops to $10 I could see myself getting it.
Not sure if PSNProfiles has one or not (they probably do, I just haven't really clicked around the site much), but I love the TrueX websites for their price trackers.

price_tracker.png

Seems to go on sale about as often as the rest of Square's stuff, so probably March at the latest and it'll be back to $9. ...Or whatever that translates to in Top Hat currency. :giggle

• Cheers!
Reactions: TD

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Random note: how do people here feel about members of the GWF Platinum Trophy Club having a badge to display as flair?

Something like this? Just a random idea.

View attachment 7730
@Mark
Can we get a badge for this?

Name: GWF Platinum Trophy Club
Description: Awarded to members of the GWF Platinum Trophy Club who have obtained at least one Platinum trophy.

I'll take care of distribution if you can make it.
Unexpected success story, huzzah! 🎉
Unexpected indeed, and actually quite enjoyed. I also really enjoyed the story at the end, the twist, and the way it all tied into FF1. Glad I gave it a second chance. Jack is hilarious.
Not sure if PSNProfiles has one or not (they probably do, I just haven't really clicked around the site much), but I love the TrueX websites for their price trackers.

price_tracker.png

Seems to go on sale about as often as the rest of Square's stuff, so probably March at the latest and it'll be back to $9. ...Or whatever that translates to in Top Hat currency.
Top Hat currency.
:chuckle

It's nice that the PS App now sends push notifications when items on your wishlist go on sale but I had no idea about those trackers. Thanks for sharing!

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
@Mark
Can we get a badge for this?

Name: GWF Platinum Trophy Club
Description: Awarded to members of the GWF Platinum Trophy Club who have obtained at least one Platinum trophy.

I'll take care of distribution if you can make it.

Unexpected indeed, and actually quite enjoyed. I also really enjoyed the story at the end, the twist, and the way it all tied into FF1. Glad I gave it a second chance. Jack is hilarious.

Top Hat currency.
:chuckle

It's nice that the PS App now sends push notifications when items on your wishlist go on sale but I had no idea about those trackers. Thanks for sharing!

IMG_6141.jpeg

Under general.

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Gentlemenmovie GIF by The Gentlemen

And distributed.

Last edited:

Fire Queen

GW Elder
whittling away the yakuza: like a dragon plat. have been LOVING this game so far. ichiban is such a good protagonist. anyway i have only four trophies left! and i haven't even beat the game yet! (though i am in the finale chapter) all that's left to do is finish the game, do the two postgame dungeons, and get the final honk-honk.

whittling away the yakuza: like a dragon plat. have been LOVING this game so far. ichiban is such a good protagonist. anyway i have only four trophies left! and i haven't even beat the game yet! (though i am in the finale chapter) all that's left to do is finish the game, do the two postgame dungeons, and get the final honk-honk.
Man, I really have to get to playing the Yakuza games some day.

• Seen

Fire Queen

GW Elder
i'm honestly really impressed with how well the series adapts to rpg. if you move through battles quickly enough it does still kind of feel like the button-mashing greatness of kiryu and others, but with four people as opposed to just one. related, it opens up so many more opportunities for characterization and depth. my current party is ichiban, the two girls, and either joon-gi han or zhao. nanba is fine. the former cop dude annoys me to no end. but eri and saeko kick ass, especially when you put them into one of the crazier jobs lol. there's a dominatrix one where you can do big heals by grabbing another party member's crotch (and yes it works on eri too LMAO)

really excited for infinite wealth which drops later this week, but i'm planning on going through gaiden first

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Am I supposed to post here for a badge? I don't push for plats, but I have like... 5?

Yes, I'm a badge whore.
Share your Playstation ID (optional/comfort level) and share your list of games so our list mistress can add you - then boom, badge.

Also feel free to hang out and chat games.

The badge already having the desired effect.

Got one more plat: Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair. Very fun game overall, and an amazing trophy list.

I will say that the title of this game is no joke. The Impossible Lair is the last level, and it's not even comparable to the rest of the game in terms of difficulty. Supposedly the original version of the game that launched didn't even have checkpoints in the last level, but I found it immensely frustrating. I wouldn't say it was the hardest thing I've done; in fact, it probably only took 2-3 hours for a 25-minute level, but wow is it frustrating! Final level aside, this was a great platinum.

As a quick follow-up to the GTA V discussion earlier, I've started working on that DLC set. About half of the trophies can be unlocked in under an hour (I got 5 of them already). There are 2-3 more trophies that require some work - mostly just driving around to certain spots on the map. It *appears* that 1 of these trophies is missable if you've beaten the game depending on which ending you got (unfortunately I have no idea which ending I got back when I beat the game, so I'll try to go for this trophy and see what happens). And then there are maybe a couple of trophies that take basically no time but are dependent upon the 2-3 more time-consuming trophies.

Edit: I'm doing a bit more reading elsewhere, and the speculation is that only two of the trophies (pertaining to the Editor itself) will become unobtainable. Those are 2 of the ones that take less than 15 minutes to get. If true, that's definitely not as concerning, but I'm going to try and get them all to be safe.

As a quick follow-up to the GTA V discussion earlier, I've started working on that DLC set. About half of the trophies can be unlocked in under an hour (I got 5 of them already). There are 2-3 more trophies that require some work - mostly just driving around to certain spots on the map. It *appears* that 1 of these trophies is missable if you've beaten the game depending on which ending you got (unfortunately I have no idea which ending I got back when I beat the game, so I'll try to go for this trophy and see what happens). And then there are maybe a couple of trophies that take basically no time but are dependent upon the 2-3 more time-consuming trophies.

Edit: I'm doing a bit more reading elsewhere, and the speculation is that only two of the trophies (pertaining to the Editor itself) will become unobtainable. Those are 2 of the ones that take less than 15 minutes to get. If true, that's definitely not as concerning, but I'm going to try and get them all to be safe.
My understanding is that it's all trophies related to this mode:

Fire Queen

GW Elder
one trophy left for yakuza like a dragon! was really satisfied with the ending to the game. the first postgame dungeon wasn't so bad, but my characters were turbo overleveled (like, 75-80 when the final boss was level 60 lol). i haven't tried the last postgame dungeon yet but i hear that one's a doozy. gonna take my first stab at it tonight

Update 2 on the potentially disappearing GTA trophies: I finished the DLC pack today. Overall, it is very easy and probably takes about 5-10 hours. It depends on your familiarity with the game and if you're far enough to do what you need to do. It took me a while to get back in the groove of where to find helicopters, but it was very easy after that.

Back
Top Bottom