Sony The PlayStation Platinum Club

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I ain't got no tips for that one sadly! Watched a video and it looks suitably awful, so... yeah. 👀
I hate being anywhere from 1-3 trophies to done. My OCD can't handle it. I'm tackling some other FF trophies in the meantime and will come back to it. I guess at least I get two plats from it but they're the bane of my existence.

Kingdom Hearts has some bullshit ones too so I didn't even try to get close.

I am hoping that I can tell you to upgrade Star Wars Battlefront to 100% soon. Yesterday, I got the second-to-last trophy for reaching rank 100.

The final trophy I need is in the 4th DLC mode. There's a trophy for winning 10 matches in the new game mode. Unfortunately, the playlist for this DLC is mixed, so it alternates other game modes in with the new one. The real problem is that of the 4 DLC packs, this one has the fewest people playing, which makes no sense because 3/4 of them require a concerted group effort to have enough people to start the playlist.

I've tried getting a group going in the discord a couple of times with no luck. These DLC modes basically only run on weekends because nobody is around to play them. I've gotten into this mode a couple times before and would guess I have somewhere between 4-6 wins, but I think I'll essentially need to boot up Battlefront every time I turn on my PS5 and check if there's an active game before I start playing something else.
I am proud to say that this game is now 100%! It was a bit of a wild ride to get that last trophy.

As I had mentioned, there is a Discord for this game. Some guy posts in Discord saying he's starting a massive PSN group chat for people who want to get any and all trophies for the game. I asked to join, and he actually had at least 3 group chats going (I was only in 3 of them, thankfully). One of these group chats had closer to 100 people than it did 0. As you can imagine, my phone has been blowing up non-stop for two days with messages as these guys try to boost trophies that are irrelevant to me.

Anyways, yesterday, they actually managed to get a lobby created around 5PM when I finished work. They taught everyone how to switch teams in-game (which makes getting the 10 wins faster, since you can always be on the winning team), and all hell broke loose. People basically started doing that every game, but the problem is that you have to leave the game first in order to do it, and the game doesn't run with fewer than 12 people. After a couple hours yesterday, the lobby burned out, but we started up around the same time today, and I managed to get the trophy.

As for why I'm telling this story - the problem was that other people needed competing trophies (ex: get a certain number of kills with a vehicle only available in the game mode that we were trying to win super fast in). The guy who set-up these group chats was getting really frustrated that people were only working on whatever specific trophy they needed and not helping him win. I empathize with his problem, because it is frustrating, but he needs to chill out. Quite frankly, some of the things he said in that chat should probably be reported to Sony. Someone sorta called him out on it once and then he started to say he was kidding after each outburst, but the guy clearly has anger issues over an imaginary milestone in a video game (and I say that as someone who is pretty obsessed with trophies).

Once I got my trophy, I unfriended everyone from the group who added me and blocked this guy, so hopefully our paths don't cross again.

Also, I'm blown away that this method worked, because, as far as I know, Battlefront has crossplay, so using PSN group chats rather than Discord seems like it would be less effective. Major props to the angry dude because he was hustling. Seriously, probably every 20 minutes throughout the day, I got a notification that a new person got added to one of these groups. You'd have no idea there were still so many people trophy hunting on this game.

I have boosted many times before, although I generally don't enjoy it. But this was a special beast because it was a game that was somewhat dead and segmented by DLC ownership. On a more current game (or even one like GTA V that will never die), it would be easier.

The next game in my sights is Red Dead Redemption 2. I've made a few attempts in the past, but I'm going to make a more serious effort now. I only have 1 online trophy left (get to level 50; I'm currently 32), and then the single-player stuff will be its own beast. I have a feeling I won't have an update for this thread for a couple of months!

Reactions: TD
This talk of Square's bullshit made me muster up the courage.

View attachment 4242
Fuck you Square, now I gotta gather the strength for the Remake shit.

#47: Final Fantasy X
standing ovation clap GIF

• Cheers!
I have boosted many times before, although I generally don't enjoy it. But this was a special beast because it was a game that was somewhat dead and segmented by DLC ownership. On a more current game (or even one like GTA V that will never die), it would be easier.

The next game in my sights is Red Dead Redemption 2. I've made a few attempts in the past, but I'm going to make a more serious effort now. I only have 1 online trophy left (get to level 50; I'm currently 32), and then the single-player stuff will be its own beast. I have a feeling I won't have an update for this thread for a couple of months!
Getting to lvl 50 is the worst trophy because it's a lot of mindless grinding the same exact area for hours. The rest of the game is more interactive and more fun, but some of the missions are a pain in the ass to get gold in -- especially if there's some long-ass intro scene with minutes of horse riding before any actual action. There's enough easy missions to get the platinum without much stress, but if you're like me and want to 100% the game, you'll be in for some pain.

Also, I'm blown away that this method worked, because, as far as I know, Battlefront has crossplay, so using PSN group chats rather than Discord seems like it would be less effective. Major props to the angry dude because he was hustling. Seriously, probably every 20 minutes throughout the day, I got a notification that a new person got added to one of these groups. You'd have no idea there were still so many people trophy hunting on this game.
If it's anything like the Xbox side of things, there are a surprisingly large amount of people that keep an extensive library tucked away just for impromptu boosting sessions and short-notice server closure announcements. The downside to this end of things is that, as far as I can tell, there isn't really a good central hub - nothing remotely like TrueAchievements (and their Boosting Session feature, which is a godsend), or really even OG X360A's more ad-hoc forum approach. So you've got like two large-ish hubs, Reddit, various per-game dedicated Discord servers... I can certainly see it being possible to round up big groups, but a massive pain in the ass.

Dude sounds like a real piece of work, though. Definitely met some characters in my time, but thankfully - at least ~10 years ago - most people were pretty chill and organized. Anyone like that probably would've gotten banned/exiled pretty quickly since the community wasn't super large and you'd see the same names quite often game-to-game.

especially if there's some long-ass intro scene with minutes of horse riding before any actual action.
Shit like this is the bane of my existence, Assassin's Creed in particular immediately springs to mind.

Armored Core 6 right now as well in a roundabout way, insofar that end-of-mission report with the ranking award doesn't have a "replay mission" option so you have to sit through 2 unnecessary load times per attempt. :bah

If everything was as snappy and to the point as, say, N/+/++ or Super Meat Boy, I would be quite happy.

Shit like this is the bane of my existence, Assassin's Creed in particular immediately springs to mind.

Armored Core 6 right now as well in a roundabout way, insofar that end-of-mission report with the ranking award doesn't have a "replay mission" option so you have to sit through 2 unnecessary load times per attempt. :bah

If everything was as snappy and to the point as, say, N/+/++ or Super Meat Boy, I would be quite happy.
It just blows my mind that, with everything people know about game design by now, these simple BASIC mistakes keep being made.

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
For me a lot of game designers make wild misses on trophies and unlockables. When it's straight up annoying with no in game reward? Bullshit. It also should not be doing the same thing over and over. I also hate online only ones.

Collectable ones and that type of shit while they suck - at least make sense as a trophy.

For me a lot of game designers make wild misses on trophies and unlockables. When it's straight up annoying with no in game reward? Bullshit. It also should not be doing the same thing over and over. I also hate online only ones.

Collectable ones and that type of shit while they suck - at least make sense as a trophy.
I don't mind collectable trophies. I think the ones that are like "collect 90% of whatever" are nice and pretty forgiving to most players, even if I tend to 100% anyway.

You'll appreciate this: I 100% finished the alchemy and the familiar book in Ni No Kuni 😵

• Mind Blown!

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I don't mind collectable trophies. I think the ones that are like "collect 90% of whatever" are nice and pretty forgiving to most players, even if I tend to 100% anyway.

You'll appreciate this: I 100% finished the alchemy and the familiar book in Ni No Kuni 😵
That's seriously impressive, wow.

I think my biggest issue with collectable trophies is when games have missable collectibles.

I think my biggest issue with collectable trophies is when games have missable collectibles.
This is why I always look up trophy guides now. I don't like having to go through a game again, or restart huge sections just because of one dumb missable. Still, I prefer these over "do repetitive thing 200 times" trophies because of how mind-numbing they are. Ni No Kuni was a lot of that -- finished a good few podcasts while grinding random shit out

• Agree

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
This is why I always look up trophy guides now. I don't like having to go through a game again, or restart huge sections just because of one dumb missable. Still, I prefer these over "do repetitive thing 200 times" trophies because of how mind-numbing they are. Ni No Kuni was a lot of that -- finished a good few podcasts while grinding random shit out
Yeah I'd take those over the repetitive bullshit too, mainly cause the gameplay is NOT engaging.

If it's a game I know for a fact I'll do a replay I go in blind without looking at a trophy guide.

Otherwise I'll look at the trophy stuff. From there, I decide if I'm going to bother with Plat or just play, or use that as a support to make sure I don't miss the missable stuff.

I'd rather grinding an actual gameplay than the shit Square pulls.

Getting to lvl 50 is the worst trophy because it's a lot of mindless grinding the same exact area for hours. The rest of the game is more interactive and more fun, but some of the missions are a pain in the ass to get gold in -- especially if there's some long-ass intro scene with minutes of horse riding before any actual action. There's enough easy missions to get the platinum without much stress, but if you're like me and want to 100% the game, you'll be in for some pain.

Yeah I'm doing the Collector role and just going around picking stuff up and trading them in for XP. Seems like the fastest thing to do, but no doubt quite repetitive. I actually don't mind grindy stuff these days because I usually just pop on football or wrestling or something on my laptop, but this one is annoying because I need the map to find the items, so I can't do that.

If it's anything like the Xbox side of things, there are a surprisingly large amount of people that keep an extensive library tucked away just for impromptu boosting sessions and short-notice server closure announcements. The downside to this end of things is that, as far as I can tell, there isn't really a good central hub - nothing remotely like TrueAchievements (and their Boosting Session feature, which is a godsend), or really even OG X360A's more ad-hoc forum approach. So you've got like two large-ish hubs, Reddit, various per-game dedicated Discord servers... I can certainly see it being possible to round up big groups, but a massive pain in the ass.
There's also PSNProfiles but I find that almost every single boosting session says that the date/time is just a placeholder. I find that doesn't work because (1) you don't even know what timezone the people that you are signing up to play with are in, and (2) without a definitive time/date, things tend to fizzle and not happen. If people stuck to the date/time, it would work a lot better.

In general, I've had a lot better luck trying to boost with 1 person than to organize a larger group for anything. That sounds obvious to begin with, but I also find that groupthink sets in with the larger groups and no one wants to do anything.

Sounds about right, and completely agreed on the annoying and serves no purpose thing. This is a good list:

Hear Johnny's bowel noises in two locations

Original game had tons of fun(ny) easter eggs, let's turn those into trophies in addition to some bog standard stuff.

FF9 is bad 'cause, yeah, jump rope was in the original PS1 version... but like only crazy people messed with it for more than a minute or two. But...

I'd rather grinding an actual gameplay than the shit Square pulls.
...I can rag on Square, and specifically Final Fantasy, all fucking day. Enter FF14's Palace of the Dead - a kinda-sorta rogue-like mode inside a tab-target, 2.5 global cooldown MMORPG with dubious server refresh rate and spotty connection issues. Climb 200 floors of this solo, without dying or disconnecting once, with the added caveat that most jobs do not have the ability to do this legitimately without exploiting because the content released as a 4-person challenge mode and the solo in-game achievement was added in after the fact with zero testing and it being entirely possible that it was never truly attainable. A single job was the only one viable for it for the longest time, and only with immense amounts of luck and a decent amount of skill.

It's slightly easier now. But not by much.

There's also PSNProfiles but I find that almost every single boosting session says that the date/time is just a placeholder. I find that doesn't work because (1) you don't even know what timezone the people that you are signing up to play with are in, and (2) without a definitive time/date, things tend to fizzle and not happen. If people stuck to the date/time, it would work a lot better.
Yeah, PSNProfiles and PlayStationTrophies both came to mind. The lack of session functionality really hurts; doing things on a nebulous honor system is usually awful unless there's a massive glut of people to draw from.

...i thought the pullups were fun and i got the trophy super easily but also i have rhythm game brain so i'm biased
Shh, I wasn't going to tell him that that minigame is 100% just one of the old modes from Theatrhythm. 😂

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Sounds about right, and completely agreed on the annoying and serves no purpose thing. This is a good list:

Original game had tons of fun(ny) easter eggs, let's turn those into trophies in addition to some bog standard stuff.
See and I love when games toss in mini games and convert those into trophies. But some of these are just absurd.
FF9 is bad 'cause, yeah, jump rope was in the original PS1 version... but like only crazy people messed with it for more than a minute or two. But...

...I can rag on Square, and specifically Final Fantasy, all fucking day.
...yeah, they really went off the deep end with their shit with trophies. I recently decided I want to try to wrap up the plat for all the single player FF games.. but, IX feels unlikely.

Speaking of.. finally.
That gives me #48 & #49 I guess cause of the weird way they did Remake trophies.

Next will be either XV or VIII...
Woo, congrats! I feel like if I wait until the weekend to update this you're somehow going to be ahead of Spiner at this rate. :rofl

XV isn't a bad Platinum. Pretty sure the 100% is no longer possible on PlayStation since the original "Comrades" DLC mode was shut down and shit out into a standalone thing (so... yay for me having done that nonsense 4 1/2 times 😭), barring maybe some sort of tomfoolery? Not sure. XV's a weird game for me in that I don't hate it as much as XIII and XIV, and instead - despite having done everything at least twice over - just constantly have the nagging sensation that I never finished the game. :shrug

• Haha

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Woo, congrats! I feel like if I wait until the weekend to update this you're somehow going to be ahead of Spiner at this rate. :rofl
:chuckle
The wonders of being off work and getting time to catch up on some gaming.
XV isn't a bad Platinum.
I'm currently only 5 trophies away for the base game so it shouldn't be too bad. Again, mostly mini games lol. Mastering the 4 "life" skills and oddly enough doing a summon.
XV's a weird game for me in that I don't hate it as much as XIII and XIV, and instead - despite having done everything at least twice over - just constantly have the nagging sensation that I never finished the game. :shrug
It's probably one of my least fav FFs, I haven't even touched the DLC.

Only a few tries!?

I think all attempts considered it was probably like a year.. yeah.. pain.

Lightning dodge is brutal. Scared to ever try jump rope.
I've never done the jump rope. It was the worst.

Overall I think it took me 7 tries for the pull up. Iirc, the buttons fade after a while, but it's all like a metronome. I just closed my eyes and tapped the numbers to a beat. Being a former first aid/cpr/aed trainer helped because it's the same concept of giving chest compressions. Get into a rhythm and just hold to it.

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Overall I think it took me 7 tries for the pull up. Iirc, the buttons fade after a while, but it's all like a metronome. I just closed my eyes and tapped the numbers to a beat. Being a former first aid/cpr/aed trainer helped because it's the same concept of giving chest compressions. Get into a rhythm and just hold to it.
I'm just terrible at rhyhym games and I know it. So often I'd just get twitchy fingers and hit something too fast.

I'm just terrible at rhyhym games and I know it. So often I'd just get twitchy fingers and hit something too fast.
Fair enough. And it happens with that game. Once it fades and gets faster it's tough. But once it's at it's peak, it's easier to be in rhythm. I think I got either 49 or 51 (once was my squats number the other pull ups). I was happy it didn't take me forever to platinum that game. I hope part 2 doesn't have a challenge like that tied to achievements though.

This sucked to do. My hands were cramped, but thankfully only took me a few tries.

Lightning dodging though.....
If you make use of the exploit, at least everything is entirely in your control with dodging lightning. Can just sit under the tower and only run towards the crater when you're fully rested and zoned in. Actually counting to 200 should be the worst of it! :chuckle

I was happy it didn't take me forever to platinum that game. I hope part 2 doesn't have a challenge like that tied to achievements though.
Ostensibly Rebirth will have some or all of the Gold Saucer on top of being at least partially Open World? So good luck not having an assortment of really awful trophies included. 👀

If you make use of the exploit, at least everything is entirely in your control with dodging lightning. Can just sit under the tower and only run towards the crater when you're fully rested and zoned in. Actually counting to 200 should be the worst of it! :chuckle
I only play FF10 on PC now. So I just script the fuck outta that.

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Another one:

Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age
This one feels good as it's one of my favourites despite the mixed opinions. That beastiary trophy is a pain in the ass and Trial Mode is pretty intense. Guides say it should take 80 hours but I'm at like 115. lol

Back
Top Bottom