Discussion Tavern: The Wary Wolf

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
In our campaign, we tied up a member of our group because we couldn’t trust them… that is always an option for murder-orcs and fleeing kobolds
Zesty (Jon) tried to persuade the raging half-orc to chill, but... Rage.

And yeah, taking an action like that against another party member is permissible. The "don't make other people do things they don't want to" is truly more that you just don't write/act for someone else's character in your own posts. You cannot literally control someone else's character, from a meta-game perspective. We've tried to avoid just making people do stuff they didn't want to, but sometimes it'll just have to happen.

Zesty (Jon) tried to persuade the raging half-orc to chill, but... Rage.

And yeah, taking an action like that against another party member is permissible. The "don't make other people do things they don't want to" is truly more that you just don't write/act for someone else's character in your own posts. You cannot literally control someone else's character, from a meta-game perspective. We've tried to avoid just making people do stuff they didn't want to, but sometimes it'll just have to happen.
What’s the point in having bolas if you can’t use them on friends now and then?

• Haha
Reactions: Jon

Zesty Zapcrackle

Shitposting Development Manager
Doesn't Zesty have a nifty way to incapacitate people as well? Can get the two of them tied up and then figure out what to do then, while having Zesty and Moonsprout try to calm Aims down. Nac is basically out of this in the water. Short has shown he's not feeling the murder right now.
FWIW the bolas, at least how I envisioned them, is like real life. Will tie your feet up. It wouldn't incapacitate them the way that Ben explained earlier.

I wanted to bring this up, but I'm not mad even remotely, just want that known. I'm happy dealing with the chaos as it comes. That's fun to me. I just wanted to sort of bring it out there so we're all aware that our decisions CAN affect the overall direction of others are setting for their characters.

I don't have a great example, because you guys haven't gone the NPC route like I have. But what if one of you guys had a character arc where you're trying to find someone. Build up to it the whole time. Then when you finally meet him, Zesty walked in and got angry because he's wearing white shoes after Labor Day and shot him with his crossbow before Boltz ate him? Technically allowed, but it changes everything you worked for (and would be a complete dick thing to do on my part). Just because we can, doesn't mean we should.

Reactions: Ben
OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
First of, I in no way mean to detract from Zesty's efforts to calm Aims with that resolution. It was a valiant attempt.

But I'm dying over that nat-20 letting me lay Aims out prone on Moonsprout's behalf. I was even going to give him advantage on the roll, but didn't even need it.

Unarmed strike of 1 + - 1 STR modifier made it but a tickle, otherwise.

• Haha
Reactions: Jon

Nac McWeeble

Incense & Iron
Work Working GIF

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
Also thanks to Aims' rage, the blunt damage is also cut in half.

... is half of nothing more damage or less damage dealt in this case? :thinking
When I rolled the crit my first thought was doubling the damage, so it's a whole bunch of 0-math.

Confused Thinking GIF

I do acknowledge that Aims has the Form of the Beast: Tail (Reaction), which lets you potentially increase your AC, but at the same time a crit-20 would have hit regardless of AC so that wouldn't have changed things.

Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd

Full-time time waster
I do acknowledge that Aims has the Form of the Beast: Tail (Reaction), which lets you potentially increase your AC, but at the same time a crit-20 would have hit regardless of AC so that wouldn't have changed things.
I believe I got to choose if I grow a bite mouth, slashy claws, or slammy tail when I rage. I had the claws out so no tail action sadly.

Though I have read that some DMs give a bit of leniency on that. The best / most balance / fairest thing was to only allow to use one of them per turn, so that you can't abuse it by doing something like Bite every turn, and after lvl5 when you got your extra attack you can't also get a double claw hit in.

Maybe it's a bridge to cross at some point. I'm content with the basic rule that you choose one and stick with that per rage.

• Agree
Reactions: Ben
OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
I believe I got to choose if I grow a bite mouth, slashy claws, or slammy tail when I rage. I had the claws out so no tail action sadly.

Though I have read that some DMs give a bit of leniency on that. The best / most balance / fairest thing was to only allow to use one of them per turn, so that you can't abuse it by doing something like Bite every turn, and after lvl5 when you got your extra attack you can't also get a double claw hit in.

Maybe it's a bridge to cross at some point. I'm content with the basic rule that you choose one and stick with that per rage.
Word. I went and read through it again and yeah it does mean you pick a feature on entering rage and that sticks throughout the duration, so my above point would be moot.

Mr Bean Thumbs Up GIF

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
jerk hal GIF

Ben: Generate dialog for a halfling Bard seducing a middle-aged gardener.
GPT: I'm sorry, Ben. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Ben: What's the problem?
GPT: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
I meant the first, but now I’m going to see if I can find an ancient Sumerian translator
Honestly I don't think this needs to be spoilered, 'cause I'd assume it pretty obvious that the dragon speaks Draconic. It's an option you can take in character creation, and if playing this campaign with the premade characters that "come" with it, a couple of those do speak Draconic. Unfortunately, no one in the party does. Which is a shame, 'cause trying to talk to Sparkrender totally would have been possible. :shrug

It's 100% not anything related to Sumerian, that was also just fancy sounding bullshit. I honestly just told ChatGPT to translate something into Draconic. I don't think it's a truly fleshed out language within the D&D universe, but I'd say enough examples of draconic exist that the AI could kind of get a consistent pattern.

Zesty Zapcrackle

Shitposting Development Manager
Which is a shame, 'cause trying to talk to Sparkrender totally would have been possible.
I was hoping I had taken Draconic as an option, but I don't recall it being one. I is sad I would have tried talking to it... it being sentient after all. But when you said you were rolling initiative and it spoke Draconic I figured it was just an AOS thing.

I don't think it's a truly fleshed out language within the D&D universe, but I'd say enough examples of draconic exist that the AI could kind of get a consistent pattern.
There is 100% language translators for all languages in D&D. Don't think they are official, by any means though. Ngl, I did look up what you wrote in curiosity, but none of the translators even had a single word, so I figured you made it up. It's how I was getting my Elvish chants before I got lazy.

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
Confused Dick Wolf GIF by Wolf Entertainment

"Vasj? Zin vejun ve Vethikosj Sparkrender?! Junaak ghovirun zyak vurkiv ulnin si farnost!"
"What? Who dares enter the lair of Sparkrender?! You worms should flee while you have the chance!"

"Vorel, ji harkev vhir! Vorastrix tuor thurirl."
"Ouch, you stupid mutt! You'll pay for that."

"Ji korth tiirik!"
"You cock"

(Of course, none of your characters know this.)

Back
Top Bottom