Discussion Tavern: The Wary Wolf

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
This adventure is set along the Sword Coast region of Faerûn, on an island called Stormwreck Isle about 5 miles off the coast, located near where the Sword Mountains abut the sea. You have bartered your way onto a merchant vessel scheduled to deliver supplies to an enclave on the island, one rumored to hold much knowledge and insight for adventurers trying to find their way in the Nine Realms. Yet tales from sailors speak of how perilous this voyage can be, even with how close the island lies to the coast. Stories abound of ships dashed upon the jagged rocks, with all souls meeting a watery end.

You and the other adventurers now aboard this cargo ship each have your own motivations for wanting to visit the Stormwreck Isle, but your fates have now converged together.

ship3.png

This is a Tavern thread for a campaign entitled Dragons of Stormwreck Isle.

This campaign is designed for 4-5 characters. It is an entry-level campaign well suited to beginners.

We now have a full party of 5:
  • Zesty Zapcrackle the Tiefling Artificer (pdf)
  • Moonsprout Beandirt the Halfling Bard (pdf)
  • Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd the Half-Orc Barbarian (pdf)
  • Nac McWeeble the Dwarf Monk (pdf)
  • Short Order the Gnome Druid (pdf)
Characters will begin at 1st level and if they survive to the end of the campaign, should end at 3rd level. There will be options to continue these characters into another campaign afterwards.

This thread will be used for the following:
  1. Gather the party: Sign-ups will be taken in the order they're received and once we have 5 people (or 4 with enough time passed that we're eager to go), a dedicated campaign thread will be posted.
  2. Party In-Depth Discussion: Out of character discussion regarding the campaign should be kept to this thread, to ensure that the campaign thread itself stays story-focused.
  3. Questions for the DM: Please use the @ tag feature if you need answers on something, to ensure it's seen.
  4. General Campaign Discussion: Discussion and comments from everyone is welcome in this thread, whether you're participating in the campaign or not.

Last edited:
OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
I believe the players we have left waiting are @A New Year… A New Suck, @canadaguy, @Christina, @Local Hero and @Tommy Boy. Tagging for awareness.

I'm going to say, anyone who doesn't get in on this one should probably get priority joining the next, if they don't get to step in mid-campaign. I'm feeling we might have to run another beginner campaign to catch people up in levels, but we can work that out later.

Or, depending on it time investment needed, I could run a secondary separate campaign of the same adventure, for the left-over 4.

Zesty Zapcrackle

Shitposting Development Manager
Reactions: Ben

Nac McWeeble

Incense & Iron
Feeling Myself Flirting GIF

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
Hmm I thought I was signed up for a game but I guess I missed that. I'll wait for the next one.
This was probably my fault for not being clearer that the other thread was just to get people into the role-playing mindset, and that the campaigns weren't ready to go right then.

It does bug me that anyone who had interest may miss out though, so I am trying to work out whether I'd be able to run 2 campaigns at once.

Season 9 Idk GIF by The Office

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
This was probably my fault for not being clearer that the other thread was just to get people into the role-playing mindset, and that the campaigns weren't ready to go right then.

It does bug me that anyone who had interest may miss out though, so I am trying to work out whether I'd be able to run 2 campaigns at once.

Season 9 Idk GIF by The Office
I was originally planning on running two at once before you gifted me with help, so I can just go back to that plan.

Moonsprout Beandirt

Connoisseur of fine video games
@Jawneh did you want a character image? Somehow I missed hooking you up before.

@Jon @Smacktard @Jawneh @Nae'blis @A New Year… A New Suck

Make sure you all have your character sheets as you want them, and if you can I'd suggest getting a thread up in the Adventurer's Guild. That way I can get some of your backstory and make sure your stuff isn't all whack.
When will you be starting the game? I'm back from vacay in a couple days so I'll have more time to dedicate to this. If you want to start before then, maybe best to sub me out for now :/

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
When will you be starting the game? I'm back from vacay in a couple days so I'll have more time to dedicate to this. If you want to start before then, maybe best to sub me out for now :/
I'd aimed to try to get things moving in the next day or so, but I can hold off until you're back. Assuming everyone else signed up for this campaign is cool with that.

What day are you back?

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
Awwwww yeah.

Animation Hacking GIF by vewn

Here's a summary of the party as it stands, highlighting some strengths and weaknesses to consider once we get going.

Party Composition
  1. Short Order (Druid, Rock Gnome)
    • Role: Support, spellcasting, and nature-related skills.
    • Strengths: High intelligence and wisdom, versatile spellcasting, and good survival skills.
    • Weaknesses: Average physical abilities, low hit points.
  2. Nac McWeeble (Monk, Hill Dwarf)
    • Role: Melee combat, agility-based tasks.
    • Strengths: High dexterity and constitution, good combat skills, resistance to poison.
    • Weaknesses: Limited spellcasting, low charisma.
  3. Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd (Barbarian, Half-Orc)
    • Role: Front-line melee combatant, tank.
    • Strengths: High strength and constitution, rage abilities, high hit points.
    • Weaknesses: Low intelligence, no spellcasting.
  4. Moonsprout Beandirt (Bard, Lightfoot Halfling)
    • Role: Support, social interactions, some spellcasting.
    • Strengths: High dexterity, good communication skills, bardic inspiration.
    • Weaknesses: Physically weak, limited combat abilities.
  5. Zesty Zapcrackle (Artificer, Tiefling)
    • - Role: Spellcasting, crafting, and intelligence-based tasks.
    • - Strengths: High intelligence and good charisma, diverse spellcasting abilities.
    • - Weaknesses: Average physical strength, not a frontline combatant.

Party Effectiveness
  • Combat: The party is well-balanced for combat, with Aims'Orreh and Nac providing strong melee capabilities, and Zesty and Short Order offering magical support. Moonsprout can offer versatile support through his bardic abilities.
  • Utility and Skills: The party covers a broad range of skills. Short Order brings nature-related knowledge, Zesty excels in crafting and arcane knowledge, and Moonsprout's bardic skills aid in social situations. Nac's monk abilities provide agility-based skills, and Aims'Orreh's survival skills are valuable in harsh environments.
  • Spellcasting: The party has a good mix of spellcasters with Short Order, Moonsprout, and Zesty, allowing for a variety of magical solutions to problems.
  • Exploration and Social Interaction: The party is equipped for exploration, with diverse skill sets covering various terrains and situations. In social scenarios, Moonsprout's and Zesty's high charisma and specific skills can be pivotal.
  • Weaknesses: The party might struggle in situations requiring high charisma-based interactions, except for Moonsprout and Zesty. Also, the lack of a dedicated healer could be a challenge in prolonged engagements or dangerous territories.

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
I feel like we ended up with a really well-rounded team. I'm really getting excited!
With the exception of little healing, I'd say so.

Not enough bards IMO
I'm not trying to start a Bardbershop Quartet over here.

When the bard-bass drops.

In regards to the healing potential of the group;
  1. Short Order (Druid)
    • Spellcasting Modifier: Wisdom (+3)
    • "Cure Wounds" heals for 1d8 + Wisdom modifier.
    • So, each casting heals for 1d8 + 3.
  2. Zesty Zapcrackle (Artificer)
    • Spellcasting Modifier: Intelligence (+4)
    • Each casting of "Cure Wounds" heals for 1d8 + Intelligence modifier, which is 1d8 + 4.
Total potential healing if each character uses all their available slots for "Cure Wounds":
  • Short Order and Zesty each have two 1st-level spell slots at Level 1.
  • The total healing for each character per spell slot is the average of 1d8 (4.5) plus their spellcasting modifier.
The total average healing potential of "Cure Wounds" for the party, with each character using all their available spell slots, is as follows:
  • Short Order (Druid): 15 points of healing (using two spell slots).
  • Zesty Zapcrackle (Artificer): 17 points of healing (using two spell slots).
In total, the party can heal an average of 32 points of damage if both Short Order and Zesty use all their spell slots for "Cure Wounds."
You'll likely not want to be using only Cure Wounds though, so it'll be a little more tricky mid-combat.

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
I'll just use my druid craft to light a campfire beneath the wounded party member. It'll cauterize all their wounds at once, plus more!
Sadly, nah.
The "Druidcraft" spell is a cantrip that allows druid characters to create minor magical effects related to nature. Some of the effects it can produce include predicting the weather, making a small flower bloom, creating a harmless sensory effect, or instantly drying a small item.
So you could make it smell like fresh-cut grass, but not create a fire.

There is a spell that does that, but you don't have it.
"Create Bonfire" is a cantrip available to spellcasters like sorcerers and warlocks. When cast, it creates a small bonfire in a 5-foot cube within range. The bonfire can provide light and deal fire damage to creatures that enter its space or end their turn within it.

Moonsprout Beandirt

Connoisseur of fine video games
Moonsprout Beandirt (Bard, Lightfoot Halfling)
Role: Support, social interactions, some spellcasting.
Strengths: High dexterity, good communication skills, bardic inspiration.
Weaknesses: Physically weak, limited combat abilities.
I have a naturalist ability or something like that. Would I be able to use that to find curative herbs or something?

Also, as for good communication skills, I want my character to sound like kind of like a limited-vocab flower child hippy when they talk. Would I still be able to have good communication skills while communicating, well, poorly? Like would I be able to influence someone even though my language wouldn't be that persuasive or commanding?

Back
Top Bottom