Character Creation discussion

His intelligence isn't too bad. He's just not wise. So no street smarts. Fun D&D fact! Wizards and I think Artificers are the 2 classes that care about intelligence, so a lot of classes use it as their dumper state. So you end up with a lot of groups of idiots.

• They’re Right, You Know?
Reactions: Ben

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
I think my character has high intelligence as well. Do druids actually not care about it?
Wisdom should probably be your highest, then constitution and dexterity.

For Druids in Dungeons & Dragons, certain ability scores are particularly important for their effectiveness in both spellcasting and fulfilling various roles in the party. The key ability scores for Druids are:

1. Wisdom: This is the primary ability score for Druids. It affects their spellcasting ability, determining how difficult their spells are to resist (Spell Save DC) and how accurately their spells hit (Spell Attack bonus). A high Wisdom score allows Druids to cast more powerful spells and increases the number of spells they can have prepared at any time.
  2. Constitution: Since Druids can often find themselves in the midst of combat, especially when using Wild Shape or casting spells at close range, a good Constitution score is important. It increases their hit points, making them more resilient, and it also helps with concentration checks, which are crucial for maintaining concentration on spells in combat.
  3. Dexterity: Dexterity is useful for Druids as it contributes to their Armor Class (AC), making them harder to hit in combat. It also affects initiative rolls, which can be important for casting crucial spells early in combat, and it's useful for Dexterity saving throws.
Secondary Stats:

1. Intelligence and Charisma: While not primary stats for Druids, these can be situationally useful depending on the character's role in the party and the campaign's focus. Intelligence can be important for knowledge checks, and Charisma can be useful in social interactions.
  2. Strength: Generally the least important stat for most Druids, unless the character focuses on a melee combat style or situations where physical strength is frequently required.
Druids are a versatile class, capable of filling various roles in a party, from healers and support to spellcasters and frontline combatants (especially when using Wild Shape). Therefore, while Wisdom is universally crucial for all Druids, the importance of other stats can vary based on the Druid's chosen Circle and play style. For example, a Druid who often uses Wild Shape to turn into animals for combat might prioritize different stats than one who primarily casts spells from a distance.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
It would be cooler if quotes and tags worked with the alt names here… hint hint @Crystal
I'll try, I'll try...

Damn kids these days, with their never-ending demands and their saggy pants. I swear one of these days I'll....
@Crystal is awesome and helps enable my whims. She's an enabler.
Happy Episode 16 GIF by The Simpsons

I try not to ask for too much, though. :hide
Excited Season 7 GIF by Parks and Recreation

• Haha
Reactions: Ben

Tuberius of Wadawurrung

CFO of Shitposting, Head of Data & Insights

Nootie Plucker

Smart fella by day, fart smella by night
One of these things is not like the others...rwrhwrha.png

Btw I bought Xanathar's for my account and it looks like it got auto-shared to the campaign, so y'all should be free to use stuff from that sourcebook as well. :^

Last edited:

Moonsprout Beandirt

Connoisseur of fine video games
Enchanted hammer so important it's listed on both sides of the pages, and all my gear is booze and apparently a knife. But mostly the booze.

It's downright perfect.
I can't wait for you to start naming the brews you create with your enchanted hammer.

Your first should be Lok Ahl's Local Low-Cal Alcohol

Last edited:

Nootie Plucker

Yeah I've been trying to figure out my spells for a while too. There's so many good ones to choose from. Funny thing is I've run into several that require a feather. Which is something my character happens to have a lot of :witch

Nootie Plucker

That sounds pretty dope. I don't think I've ever heard of a dwarven monk before and that'd be such a fitting subclass.

DM: I probably should've mentioned this earlier but I figured it was a self-nerf so no one would care. I wanted to play a penguin variant of an aarakocra, which I know doesn't exist officially, but I was thinking we just change my flying speed into my swimming speed and leave everything else the same if that's cool. I've seen homebrew ideas that give them like cold resistance, longer breath, etc, but that's up to you. I don't really care if I have any of that extra stuff, just thought it'd be a fun reflavor of the race either way.

Nac McWeeble

Incense & Iron
That sounds pretty dope. I don't think I've ever heard of a dwarven monk before and that'd be such a fitting subclass.
Thanks! And with our resident booze provider he'll be set! :D
DM: I probably should've mentioned this earlier but I figured it was a self-nerf so no one would care. I wanted to play a penguin variant of an aarakocra, which I know doesn't exist officially, but I was thinking we just change my flying speed into my swimming speed and leave everything else the same if that's cool. I've seen homebrew ideas that give them like cold resistance, longer breath, etc, but that's up to you. I don't really care if I have any of that extra stuff, just thought it'd be a fun reflavor of the race either way.
Penguin variants should have +3 cute in charisma saves. :love

Last edited:

Zesty Zapcrackle

Shitposting Development Manager
If one of the more experienced players wants to take a look at my character sheet and tell me if anything glaring stands out I'd appreciate it.

The only thing I've not done at all is equipment as I'm totally lost there, so any guidance would help.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant

Oh I absolutely love it. We'll talk more in a session 0

Dragmire

If one of the more experienced players wants to take a look at my character sheet and tell me if anything glaring stands out I'd appreciate it.

The only thing I've not done at all is equipment as I'm totally lost there, so any guidance would help.
1703778470604.png

I think you may need to pick up one more cantrip and two first-level spells:

1703778488221.png

For the inventory stuff, I think you can choose between a set amount of gold or the starting gear you're entitled to here:
1703778658391.png

I think if you pick gold, you'll have an option to add whatever the random amount of gold is for your character (for barb it's like 2d4 x 10 gold). Otherwise you can pick Equipment and get a screen like this:

1703778741143.png

I would recommend going for getting starting equipment as it'll get you a weapon, a Spellcasting Focus if your character casts spells and needs one (very important), and some random knickknacks. Typically your starting gear is based on your class (see the Barbarian Starting Equipment) part of the screen and your Background (which I think you set in your 4. Description tab). So where you see "Acolyte Starting Equipment" that's stuff you'd get if you chose the Acolyte background. If you choose others, you'll get different items (among other differences).

Zesty Zapcrackle

View attachment 5385

I think you may need to pick up one more cantrip and two first-level spells:

View attachment 5386

For the inventory stuff, I think you can choose between a set amount of gold or the starting gear you're entitled to here:
View attachment 5387

I think if you pick gold, you'll have an option to add whatever the random amount of gold is for your character (for barb it's like 2d4 x 10 gold). Otherwise you can pick Equipment and get a screen like this:

View attachment 5388

I would recommend going for getting starting equipment as it'll get you a weapon, a Spellcasting Focus if your character casts spells and needs one (very important), and some random knickknacks. Typically your starting gear is based on your class (see the Barbarian Starting Equipment) part of the screen and your Background (which I think you set in your 4. Description tab). So where you see "Acolyte Starting Equipment" that's stuff you'd get if you chose the Acolyte background. If you choose others, you'll get different items (among other differences).
Thanks Jump. I've added starting equipment. Looking into spells now.

Dragmire

@GwJumpman I need one of those assessments too
1703779426723.png

First thing is it looks like your character sheet URL needs to be updated so it's just the character id after "/characters/" part of the URL.

I think you might also be missing your Background. On my sheet I have this:

1703779638544.png

Your Background typically can get you an extra language or two, an extra toolkit, and/or a trinket; they also give you a skill proficiency or two I believe. You can find it on the 4. Description tab:

1703779716729.png

View attachment 5389

First thing is it looks like your character sheet URL needs to be updated so it's just the character id after "/characters/" part of the URL.

I think you might also be missing your Background. On my sheet I have this:

View attachment 5390

Your Background typically can get you an extra language or two, an extra toolkit, and/or a trinket; they also give you a skill proficiency or two I believe. You can find it on the 4. Description tab:

View attachment 5391
I’ll look into the later. Are you using an app?

Zesty Zapcrackle

I was able to equip 2 cantrips and prepare 4 spells. I have no idea if I chose well or poor but If there are specific ones I should have, I'm open to suggestions.

1703780597548.png
1703780623444.png

Dragmire

I was able to equip 2 cantrips and prepare 4 spells. I have no idea if I chose well or poor but If there are specific ones I should have, I'm open to suggestions.

View attachment 5392
View attachment 5393
I would say if you were to make one change, it would be swapping in a damage-dealing cantrip into your list. It doesn't look like any of your spells deal damage so you might wind up in a little trouble if we get into an encounter and you need to deal some damage. Cantrips like Thorn Whip, Fire Bolt, and Ray of Frost are all good but really any that deal damage are useful in a pinch

Back
Top Bottom