Character Creation discussion

I do want to stress that D&D is as much as you want it to be. Don't feel like you have to go super deep and write pages and pages of character backstory. If you are that type, by all means go for it! If you are more like me, an outline type person, that's great too. There is no wrong answer to your character, but some will be easier to live than others. Some people like to just make themselves in character form and react as they themselves would and some like to pretend to be the opposite of themselves (my party paladin is an example of this). Some just want a random character given to them so they can be an actor in a film if you will. There is no wrong answer here. D&D does like you to pick some background personality traits because this makes characters more real people with faults and goals in life. This is where you can get some fun group dianamics with a straight laced too by the book follow all the rules character and a kloptomanic that lock picks and steals everything. Do think about how your character is going to interact with others. Sure you can make a true evil bad guy but don't be surprised when you end up getting the group killed or become the villian of the story.
My biggest suggestion for anybody who wants to play or may want to play, to go ahead and start looking at classes and races and deciding what kind of character you want to play. There are places that will give you random ideas if you don't want to be super cliché. I'll try and find some resources and post them. DD Beyond does have breakdowns of at least some of the classes. There are other places too. If anybody has better suggestions. I will try to do any example character build and what that could look like soonish.
I will also work up some basic info on character alignments (good, nuetral, evil, etc.) As well as how you can use your character's states the help with their personality. Example, my party paladin is super charismatic, but has very low intelligence. She says the words Like and Oh my God and For Reals a lot.

This is just a fun one to get some wonderful random ideas for characters. Might end with a most eclectic group of murder hobos though.
That was fun. I got some good ones. My favorite is either the one with the enchanted legs or the last one. I have a feeling, however, people will want me to be the one with literacy issues

Attachments

• IMG_8129.jpeg
    IMG_8129.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8131.jpeg
    IMG_8131.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8132.jpeg
    IMG_8132.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8133.jpeg
    IMG_8133.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8134.jpeg
    IMG_8134.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 12
rockos modern life nicksplat GIF

Clop clop clop

Moonsprout Beandirt

Connoisseur of fine video games
@VashTheStampede @Christina
I don't know the etiquette in D&D so please school me. When I think of D&D, I think of making a wacky character that adds to the silliness and enjoyment of the game, using unique and creative ways to escape from different situations. That sounds fun.

But apparently there are other people who play as some sort of self-insert escapist power fantasy.

If my character were a smelly grass whistle-playing pants less hippy bard who communes with animals and swears off violence, would a character like that add to the enjoyment of the game for people, or would my antics detract from the game's enjoyment for most people by making the game/situations more unorthodox?

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
I don't know the etiquette in D&D so please school me. When I think of D&D, I think of making a wacky character that adds to the silliness and enjoyment of the game, using unique and creative ways to escape from different situations. That sounds fun.

But apparently there are other people who play as some sort of self-insert escapist power fantasy.

If my character were a smelly grass whistle-playing pants less hippy bard who communes with animals and swears off violence, would a character like that add to the enjoyment of the game for people, or would my antics detract from the game's enjoyment for most people by making the game/situations more unorthodox?
In my experience it's up to the party what kind of game they want. The DM can have all the intentions in the world of running a grimdark Soulslike experience....but once the party decides to wear underwear as hats and chuck pancakes at the Big Bad, all bets are off.

So its really all about checking with your team. Games usually have a Session Zero before starting to work that stuff out.

It depends on the group as a whole. I can tell you, you would fit in great with my party paladin. Her god is that of party and festivities. So while she is a paladin, following the "law" of her god is often inflows lots of debotory. Thus our characters could do a lot of drugs together and would probably eat every mushroom we come across.

Vash loves creativity and good story telling more than anything.

Moonsprout Beandirt

In my experience it's up to the party what kind of game they want. The DM can have all the intentions in the world of running a grimdark Soulslike experience....but once the party decides to wear underwear as hats and chuck pancakes at the Big Bad, all bets are off.

So its really all about checking with your team. Games usually have a Session Zero before starting to work that stuff out.
okay okay

I'm now accepting applications to join my rag-tag group of fairweather adventurers, barefoot beat poets, and professional loiterers.

Your application is to be accepted in the form of a flower

Moonsprout Beandirt

It depends on the group as a whole. I can tell you, you would fit in great with my party paladin. Her god is that of party and festivities. So while she is a paladin, following the "law" of her god is often inflows lots of debotory. Thus our characters could do a lot of drugs together and would probably eat every mushroom we come across.

Vash loves creativity and good story telling more than anything.
Okay forget the application process I just proposed; I'm applying to join your troupe

• Haha
Reactions: Ben
In D&D you can make your own spells if you really want that's up to the DM, but you can also just rename an existing spell to make it your own. Adding flavor to your spell casts is always great.

Lok Ahl

So I think before I posted in PIMI (or at least early on) I participated in some sort of role play/fan fiction. I don't remember at all who posted with me, but we all made characters, created back stories, and posted what they did in the world, and slowly integrated their stories together into a larger narrative.

I still remember my character - Ryo, swung a big double sided axe.

I think I had him die and introduced another character but I don't remember. That's the extent of my memories with this and also the extent of any sort of D&D adjacent thing.

Lok Ahl

So I think before I posted in PIMI (or at least early on) I participated in some sort of role play/fan fiction. I don't remember at all who posted with me, but we all made characters, created back stories, and posted what they did in the world, and slowly integrated their stories together into a larger narrative.

I still remember my character - Ryo, swung a big double sided axe.

I think I had him die and introduced another character but I don't remember. That's the extent of my memories with this and also the extent of any sort of D&D adjacent thing.
I doubt anything was saved in way back machine or anything, and I kind of hope it's totally lost because I'm sure it's quite embarrassing, as I was 13 or so

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
Okay I got it. I have an enchanted hammer. Just a regular size one you'd hit nails with. No extra attack or anything.

But anything I hit that contains any sort of fruit instantly has the fruit ferment.

The hammer of fermentation: helping people get hammered since 1969.

1000003786.png

You said the hammer was regular sized. Not that you were.

(This was my brief attempt to make you Alvin the Chipmunk to get the giant A on your shirt, but I ain't fixing it.)

I'm gonna quit wasting time, but by golly I'll be doing this more if we get this thing off the ground...

View attachment 5090

I ignored the pantsless bit.

Edit: haha that fukken elephant tho

View attachment 5091

You said the hammer was regular sized. Not that you were.

(This was my brief attempt to make you Alvin the Chipmunk to get the giant A on your shirt, but I ain't fixing it.)

I'm gonna quit wasting time, but by golly I'll be doing this more if we get this thing off the ground...
Also realized it makes sense for these two characters to hang out.

• They’re Right, You Know?
Back
Top Bottom