Character Creation discussion

Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd

Full-time time waster
Would this be appropriate for a starting character? I’m assuming not

View attachment 7499
Yeeaaaa. At best a regular "Chain Shirt" instead of "Elven Chain" would be appropriate if you're looking for Medium Armor. But for Kreskent, it's fine if you don't have any actual armor. There's always the Mage Armor spell to get your AC to 13 your +dex. It's a bit rough in early game as it does eat up a spell slot, but maybe you just want to cast cantrips anyways.

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
Would this be appropriate for a starting character? I’m assuming not

View attachment 7499
Definitely not for a starting character. That's a +1 magical item, so I don't think any DM would let you start out with that on a level 1 character. You'd have to find it somewhere in a campaign.

EDIT: Oh, and Elven Chain would still require you have the right proficiency to wear it effectively use it. So unless you can wear medium armor, that'd still cause you a disadvantage and make you unable to cast.

Last edited:

Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd

Full-time time waster
I thought Elven Chain passively gives you proficiency with it? That's what was neat about it. If you needed the extra AC and had nothing else special, it's just a good mid tier chain for anyone.

Shooting Star GIF

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
I thought Elven Chain passively gives you proficiency with it? That's what was neat about it. If you needed the extra AC and had nothing else special, it's just a good mid tier chain for anyone.
You're right. I overlooked that, though you won't get the FULL benefit of it without proficiency.

While it is a chain shirt and thus normally a medium armor, what makes Elven Chain unique is that it can be worn by someone who isn't proficient with medium armor without imposing disadvantage on any ability checks, saving throws, or attack rolls that the wearer might make. This feature makes it an excellent choice for classes that typically don't have medium armor proficiency but could benefit from better protection, like some wizards or sorcerers.

However, to fully utilize its potential and not just avoid the penalties, proficiency in medium armor is indeed necessary. This allows the wearer to apply their proficiency bonus to the armor class (AC) calculations, which is an important aspect of effectively using any armor in D&D. This proficiency can come from the character's class, race, or certain feats that grant proficiency in specific types of armor.

Back
Top Bottom