Multi Watcha playing?

I've been working through the FF Pixel Remastered, the updated pixels and music honestly adds such a new level of detail that didn't exist and certain graphics have a lot more clarity to what they are now.

I'm 40 minutes into FFIV and I'm very impressed.
I've never played any of the retro FF games, are these pixel remasters faithful ways to experience those as my primary way of playing it? The name confuses me a little bit and I'm not sure if pixel is just a flavor word or something

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I've never played any of the retro FF games, are these pixel remasters faithful ways to experience those as my primary way of playing it? The name confuses me a little bit and I'm not sure if pixel is just a flavor word or something
I've only messed with FF6 out of these but it's a faithful recreation, just with a facelift.

• Agree
Reactions: TD

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
So after playing the first 4 and almost being done V - the pixel remaster is definitely how I'd recommend playing it. I've played both the originals and Remasters, I've thoroughly loved it.

They're entirely faithful with a bit of a tweak to the pixels but it only enhances it in my opinion.

Just one small example is in one of them you encounter the classic "bombs" in the open world, in the original it's essentially a little fire blur but in the remaster you can actually tell it's bomb.

There's also some amazing QoL tweaks like quick save, area maps, chest counters for each area... and if grinding isn't your thing there's also boosts for xp/gil to cut down on the time spent there.

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I started playing Bayonetta again. This is one game in a dwindling collection of games that I beat without caring about trophies, so now I'm going back for the platinum.

I mentioned the first time that I played it that I didn't understand how the game worked at all and stumbled my way to the end on the easiest difficulty. Having put a few more hours into it now, that remains true. I have a vague idea of what I'm doing, but still feel somewhat lost in the mechanics of the game. I've bumped the difficulty up to normal and it's not as troubling as it was before, although I think it helps that I used some of the currency from my initial play through to buy some upgrades.

I am optimistic that I can find all of the collectibles and beat the game 3 times (as is required for the plat), but I'm hoping that at some point on that journey, I understand how to play the game, rather than sorta mindlessly button-mashing my way through it.

I mentioned the first time that I played it that I didn't understand how the game worked at all and stumbled my way to the end on the easiest difficulty. Having put a few more hours into it now, that remains true. I have a vague idea of what I'm doing, but still feel somewhat lost in the mechanics of the game.
This is true of pretty much all of Platinum's games (and by extension Clover's games) tbh. There are so many mechanics that are not well-explained, that are hidden, that take a ton of practice to pull off, etc. My experience has always been that you only really "get" the game after you beat it -- and that's true for Bayonetta, too.

Bayonetta 2 is much more forgiving in this regard. It has a better flow than Bayo1 IMO, but hardcore beat'em-ups fans swear Bayo1 is the better game.

Been playing Gran Turismo 7 here lately ever since I got the itch to get back into racing games. Bought it a while ago when it was on sale and figured I'd give it a try seeing as the last one I've had in my collection was GT4. Was curious about how much had changed over the years.

Upon playing the game, there were many things which have left me disappointed in the direction the series looks to be heading. Unlike your traditional GT game, which has been best known for its single player experience, this game lacks that, and instead the entire premise of career mode is based around the game's Café menu. I'm not a fan of it. The campaign doesn't even take that long to complete and once it's finished, that's it. There's really nothing else to do except to treat it as a sandbox. I find it too boring and would much prefer the way it was structured in the older games, where you could make the jump from one league to the next as you work your way up, or branch out into other events as you please.

Another issue I have is how the game is a live service now. It's one of those games that requires a constant internet connection, and with the way Gran Turismo seems to be heading now, it's tailored more towards e-sports & online multiplayer. Add in the fact that cars in the used & Haggerty dealerships are rotated in & out as if there's only a limited number in stock, and that prices of certain cars are subject to change (some of which have seen ridiculous amounts of inflation like the Porsche 911 GT1 Strassenversion)....it reminds me too much of what is wrong with modern gaming.

Don't get me wrong, there are some things I do like about the game, but overall, it feels more like a sequel to GT Sport than anything. There are some things I like about it, but there's just too much potential left on the table to make it stand out as a game that's worth revisiting years down the road. GT4 to me, will still be hands down the best game of the series.

Well I just beat Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth! 82 hours 10 minutes is my final play time and I cleared basically everything except Dondoko Island, which is essentially in-game Animal Crossing. Won't be doing that, but I could pour another 30 hours in if I really wanted to. Highly recommended game, it was my first Yakuza series game and it was better than I expected. My only complaint is how long the cutscenes are. They just don't stop. It's great for building up your party members personalities and camaraderie but woof, they repeat exposition like I can't follow the story in almost every major story sequence. I feel like the game would have been 73-74 hours if they toned that down and reduced some of the filler fights in each chapter.

But it is still one of the best JPRG type games I've played. Definitely goes into my top 20, maybe top 15. What it loses in those gripes above it makes up for with just pure fun. It is easily the most enjoyable JRPG *game to play* I've ever had. It was like playing a GTA game, but with turn based fighting and so much variety in mini-games.

Moving onto Persona 3:Reload full force now. I played an hour and a half to get the save file started a couple weeks ago and can't wait. The cutscenes in this already feel like they breeze by after the last game.

Fire Queen

official GWF wolfmistress (sometimes) | she/they
GW Elder
ooh, i finished infinite wealth last night too! i clocked in at just over a hundred hours but i'd say there's 5-10 hours of idle time in there and my wife did all the dondoko island stuff to completion. i really liked the story especially in comparison to past yakuza games, but there's no getting around the point that there are just times where you're gonna sit back and watch half an hour of cutscenes, especially near the beginning/ending. eye's right though in that there is such a breadth and depth of minigame variety that it's almost impossible not to keep coming back to it. there's so many games inside this game. all i have left to pick up the plat is getting ichiban to level 70 and the postgame dungeon will serve quite nicely in that regard. improved on its predecessor in just about every way and my favorite yakuza character period (shinada, a protagonist from 5) was mentioned in one of kiryu's memoirs of a dragon. all in all a big win

Usually, I'd have gotten in a hour or so of grinding credits on GT7, but never bothered with it today. Been having too much fun with GTA 2 to be bothered to play anything else.

It speaks volume how I can find way more enjoyment in a game that's over 24 years old than with most modern games.

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I'm on the last game in the Pixel Remaster series for FF, VI.

I've played through this game many times but I've always used minimal guides.

The chest counter per area is amazing. I'm a few hours in but already found some stuff I never knew was there, like a very early game Ribbon.

Wild.

The next game in my line of stuff to revisit is Dragon Age Inquisition. Much like Bayonetta, I just do not understand the combat in this game. I'm trying to get every other trophy before I go back for the ones for beating the game on the hardest difficulty, and even on the easiest difficulty, it takes forever for me to beat a lot of enemies.

I think this game is way more complex than what I am actually doing. I just try to use the weapon that does the most damage and use the armour with the highest values. From my limited googling, I think I should be doing the same with my party members? And also upgrading weapons and armour? I think there are status elements too, but I have no idea how any of those work.

I frequently say that I enjoy games most at the endgame when you're wildly overpowered, but even though I'm using a save file from after I beat the campaign, I still feel underpowered against easy enemies. I recall when I beat the game that I would just keep reviving my allies and taking a long time to beat enemies.

If anyone has played this game before, I'd definitely appreciate some help in understanding what to do :)

I don't remember much about it except that the Hinterlands seemed way too big and there is just too much to do in the game. It felt bloated with no payoff. Story was better than 2 but I honestly either have selective memory about games or I'm just getting old. I put in over 60 hours into it and can't remember a single gameplay element.

Andy

Northern Lights
GW Elder
Completed Crisis Core then started Grounded. Was quite enjoying it. Fun concept. I was talking to a friend who was letting me know it basically became a game about finding resources, though, and building a base and I just couldn’t face that. I’ve now started the outer worlds and it’s good fun. Basically fallout in space but that works for me.

I'm playing Xenoblade 3 and goddamn it is just so much more enjoyable than XC2. I'm still near the beginning, but dialogue and story is leagues better. Unfortunately the environments and world-building have taken a bit of a hit. They're the most sterile Monolith Soft environments I've seen to date. Every XC game had a few worlds that blew me away when I first saw them, but XC3 so far has just been dusty Xbox 360-era brown and boring with reused assets. I hope this improves because the environments were one of my favorite parts about the XC series.

rktaker

been playing the Outer worlds not bad so far, I'm surprised at how short it is for an rpg looking at how long the campaign is. thought for sure it would be longer. it's also the Spacer Choice edition so it has the DLCs that I'll play once I'm done with the campaign

Andy

Northern Lights
GW Elder
been playing the Outer worlds not bad so far, I'm surprised at how short it is for an rpg looking at how long the campaign is. thought for sure it would be longer. it's also the Spacer Choice edition so it has the DLCs that I'll play once I'm done with the campaign
I’m also playing this. It’s very Fallouty which works for me. I’m enjoying it so far. Just finished the radio free monarch quest so not sure how much longer I have. Been playing on easy so haven't touched a lot of the features - workbenches, inhalers, etc. as can just do it as a shooter with companion abilities

rktaker

I’m also playing this. It’s very Fallouty which works for me. I’m enjoying it so far. Just finished the radio free monarch quest so not sure how much longer I have. Been playing on easy so haven't touched a lot of the features - workbenches, inhalers, etc. as can just do it as a shooter with companion abilities
i’m up to the part to where the game forces you to do the side quests to get enough money for the nav ticket. but Ive been doing the other side quests and companion quests anyway so I’m not rushing through the main quests which is why I’m not that far at all, think my play time is at like 8 hours

I don't remember much about it except that the Hinterlands seemed way too big and there is just too much to do in the game. It felt bloated with no payoff. Story was better than 2 but I honestly either have selective memory about games or I'm just getting old. I put in over 60 hours into it and can't remember a single gameplay element.

Most common advice is get out of the Hinterlands as much as you can, I only did all the MMO side quests as I came across them and never went out of my way

I dont remember much about combat but I had a really good system going

I enjoyed it. DLC is really good, if I had not played with the DLC I would have probably been a less high on this one

Starting Divinity Original Sin 2 after enjoying Baldur's Gate 3. Also love that my laptop runs this so I should be able to play it more consistently vs playing it on my PC which is connected to the living room TV

Andy

Northern Lights
GW Elder
Just started deathloop. Really like the concept and the gameplay was fun enough but the text on notes, computers, etc. is so small that I can’t read it from where I sit. You can change subtitle size but nothing else. Not sure I can keep playing it because I’m just missing crucial stuff. Might watch a let’s play on my phone or something

Fire Queen

official GWF wolfmistress (sometimes) | she/they
GW Elder
i'm in between big game commitments (apart from playing through Super Mario Bros. Wonder which is easily the best 2D mario in decades (low bar but still)) so i've been thumbing through the expansive NES/SNES/Genesis/GB/GBC libraries on switch online. the rewind feature and save states are great, would never have been able to clear Castlevania Legends otherwise. wow that game wasn't good! shame it was the first castlevania i played to completion. a way better experience was Gunstar Heroes which i already knew was a good game (shouts out to Treasure) but i'd never finished it before.

currently going through Breath of Fire on the SNES (boy that American box art does a shit job of selling the game) and Shining Force on the Genesis (as a fire emblem enjoyer i knew i would really dig this one). i'm also replaying Pokemon TCG and Mario Tennis on the GBC.

i tried hacking my SNES Classic to get Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War to work on it but it didn't take. not that big of a deal because i would have had to abandon my save currently mired in Chapter 3 so it's fine.

some gems i have found:
  • Fire 'n Ice (Solomon's Key 2) for the NES. cute little puzzle game with an adorable framing device!
  • Light Crusader for the Genesis. isometric sword and sorcery game that featured Aki Hata as the composer in the opening credits. she is the primary lyricist/composer for the Love Live! series. was pretty surprised to see her name without expecting it although i knew she worked as a freelance composer for Treasure and Konami
  • Mario's Super Picross on the SNES (technically Super Famicom) is a must if you enjoy picross like i do
  • more good puzzle games: Columns on Genesis and Magical Drop II on SNES

I’ve gone and downloaded FF14. Never played a MMORPG before. Would rather just stick to the main quests I think
For better or worse, XIV isn't really an MMO.

The story is 100% mandatory to even unlock content within the game, so yeah - largely adhere to just doing that. Pick up and do any side quests that have a blue + icon, as well, as those are "important" quests/chains that unlock various things within the game.

If you have any specific questions or goals in mind, I can definitely tell you how to go about getting set up.

Andy

Northern Lights
GW Elder
For better or worse, XIV isn't really an MMO.

The story is 100% mandatory to even unlock content within the game, so yeah - largely adhere to just doing that. Pick up and do any side quests that have a blue + icon, as well, as those are "important" quests/chains that unlock various things within the game.

If you have any specific questions or goals in mind, I can definitely tell you how to go about getting set up.
Think I’ll probably do that then and then a friend of mine is also playing so will jump in with him occasionally.

Just tips would be welcome! I’m not a good RPGer. I’ve completed nearly ever FF game but it’s been level grinding to the point of being overpowered

Joseph Snapple

You don't know how to treat the Crypt Keeper!
GW Elder
Finished up the latest main story addition to Limbus Company; another home run.

I'm generally hesitant to recommend gacha but if you don't care about that stuff LC is very much worth checking out (as is Library of Ruina, Project Moon's non-gacha predecessor to LC).

Started playing Jedi: Fallen Order recently. Took me a couple days to figure out how to get it to work with a controller because EA, but seems okay so far. Feels very cliche so far with the cutscenes, and I wasn't super stoked about having to play as Drake Bell instead of there being a character creator. Controls are also gonna take some getting used to.

I can see this being a really good game if it picks up a bit, but I'm not very far in. Just picked up the jedi holocron and left for the next planet. I'm a bit worried that Elden Ring has spoiled me to the point where I'll have a hard time enjoying a linear souls-like again, but I guess we'll see. Enjoying it so far. It's fun to play around in a Star Wars game again, and giving me an orange lightsaber right off the bat is a huge plus :D. It's not a new Force Unleashed game yet, but it's probably the closest I'm going to get to one.

The next game in my line of stuff to revisit is Dragon Age Inquisition. Much like Bayonetta, I just do not understand the combat in this game. I'm trying to get every other trophy before I go back for the ones for beating the game on the hardest difficulty, and even on the easiest difficulty, it takes forever for me to beat a lot of enemies.

I think this game is way more complex than what I am actually doing. I just try to use the weapon that does the most damage and use the armour with the highest values. From my limited googling, I think I should be doing the same with my party members? And also upgrading weapons and armour? I think there are status elements too, but I have no idea how any of those work.

I frequently say that I enjoy games most at the endgame when you're wildly overpowered, but even though I'm using a save file from after I beat the campaign, I still feel underpowered against easy enemies. I recall when I beat the game that I would just keep reviving my allies and taking a long time to beat enemies.

If anyone has played this game before, I'd definitely appreciate some help in understanding what to do :)

I'm reasonably close to the end of my play through on the hardest difficulty. The primary difference on this play through is that I just created a character and used specific party members that were recommended online, as opposed to guessing. I am not really finding this to be any easier or harder than when I did my play through on the easiest difficulty. But the strategy is quite different - now I use a bow and arrow and hang back just firing arrows. I have two tanks up front that absorb all the damage, and a mage with me in the back casting spells. When I played the game the first time, I tried to hack and slash my way through, but I didn't have the ability to generate a shield (guard) on my character, so I would die pretty easily.

I'd say I have about 10 hours of the story left, and then maybe 10 hours to get the remaining platinum trophies, and then I need to investigate the DLC, because it appears there were several missable trophies not labeled in the guide I followed. I'm pretty blown away at the sheer amount of content in the game. It has to be one of the largest games I've played, even though the main quest itself isn't all that long.

Back
Top Bottom