Multi Watcha playing?

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Flamelurker and Maneater combo were dreadful, yeah, I forgot about those.
DaS1 Gargoyles were tough your first time through, but Ornstein and Smough were unforgettable... Especially if you tried to take down Smough first. Artorias was very tough, too.
DaS2 Pursuer was the only one I remember giving me a shitton of grief. Every other boss in the game I killed my first or second try, with the exception of Belfry gargoyles and that fucking ganksquad trio.
DaS3's worst one for me was Pontiff.
I don't know how I didn't mention Maneater in DeS. The boss itself isn't so hard but that damn environment. Even experienced players can die on that damn bridge.
I would say so. It has reused environments, but they have a nice twist, and the gameplay is really quite nice. Starting from a fresh save would be obnoxious though. If that were the case, I wouldn't bother.
After I'm done with Sea of Stars I might give it a try then.. assuming I have a save file. I'll have to remember all the mechanics too.

How tough was it compared to other Soulsborne games? Trophy guides have it at a higher difficulty than any of the other Soulsbornes
Honestly by the time I got to the end I was hate-playing it because of how tough it got and I didn't want the game to beat me. The game really leans in to factoring in parrying into the difficulty of some enemies and the wind ups are close to unreactable so sometimes you're just screwed. I think the game's actually a nice length though and the parry BS is really only bad in a couple of spots and I would say the game is close to the quality of a Fromsoft Souls game with the main difference being in the level design (Lies of P is much less complex level design than Souls games) and the plot itself is fantastic. As long as you're confident in your Souls abilities I think you'll manage

and the wind ups are close to unreactable so sometimes you're just screwed
This has been a pet peeve of mine for as long as I can remember. Games wanting to emulate others, but not understanding the important basics like patterning and telegraphing. Bonus points if there are particle effects and bloom and colorful explosions everywhere so even when they get it right, you still can't see shit! :rofl

As long as the checkpoints/reload times are fine, it's... just frustrating. But if those are FUBAR'd too it's a straight dealbreaker.

An update on Bloodborne: I just beat Rom and am now in Yahar'Gul. I am not sure if I missed this before or if it's because of the DLC, but my biggest takeaway from this play through is that there are way more NPCs willing to help you on boss fights. I'm pretty sure I had one for Cleric Beast, Blood-Starved Beast, Vicar Amelia, Shadow of Yharnam, and Rom. When I played the game back in 2015, the only one of those I remember getting was Blood-Starved Beast. Personally, I am in favour of this because I don't really play games for difficulty, so Souls games are a bit of an anomaly in what I play.

None of the bosses gave me too hard of a time, probably because of the NPC help, but I beat most of them on my first try. The hardest was probably Vicar Amelia, which is a bit surprising to me, as Blood-Starved Beast, Shadow of Yharnam, and Rom were historically the most difficult for me.

As for The Old Hunters, I have progressed far enough to start playing it, but supposedly you should be a minimum of level 80, and I'm in the 50s, so I'll keep plugging away at the main quest for now.

I recently also started playing Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga via the GBA emulator on Switch. I've never played this game before, and it does have some unique moments, but it feels like a lot of the other 2D Mario RPG-type games (Paper Mario in particular). I think this will take me a while to beat because I'm not actively working on it, but just whenever I go somewhere and bring my Switch with me.

Yesterday I fired up the Mega Man Legacy Collection. I bought this in 2018 and got bored after an hour, and never touched it again.

I had started with Mega Man 1, and apparently already beat half of the stages when I picked it up again yesterday. So far, I'm not loving it. Like any old game, it is unnecessarily difficult. It has a rewind feature, although not anything as abusable as the save states that you can in Nintendo Switch Online. I have a feeling getting all of the trophies in this collection will be incredibly painful for me, but I needed a game I could grind away at while watching football or wrestling and the other game I started up (see below) is not great for that.
An update on Mega Man: I've finished all 6 games now. Even though the gameplay improved marginally after the first few, each game was more excruciating to complete. The ending sections against Wiley and his predecessor seemed to get longer in each game.

For those not familiar with this collection, there is also a challenge mode, where you can play premade scenarios from the 6 games. Sometimes they are small sections of several levels tied together, other times they are boss fights, and sometimes they're a combination of both. There are 54 in total, although you have to beat a few of them to keep unlocking the next ones. One of the trophies in this game is to get Gold in 50 of the 54 challenges (the rank is based on how fast you beat it).

This is unquestionably, one of the worst and most difficult things I've ever come across. I think it took me 40 minutes to get gold in the first challenge, and the time required was under 3 minutes, so it wasn't a long challenge. Some of them are easier, but the only "easy" challenges I've found so far are the shortest ones that have a method where you can cheese a boss fight. The worst ones are the ones with several sections of a level tied together because each section has a unique strategy based on the weapons you have, which you would never guess how to complete on your own. The only good thing I can say is that you can view replays of the top 100 times on the leaderboard, although many of their strategies are too complex for the average person to execute, so I still have to look up a more achievable time.

I've done about 6 of the 50 challenges needed and it has taken a few hours to get this far. I will keep grinding it out and get them all done, but I think playing this game and Bloodborne at the same time was a bad idea because both games are so difficult that sometimes I don't want to play either. I've made it to the DLC in Bloodborne, so maybe I'll try to power through that so I can have a more realistic backup game when Mega Man frustrates me.

An update on Mega Man: I've finished all 6 games now. Even though the gameplay improved marginally after the first few, each game was more excruciating to complete. The ending sections against Wiley and his predecessor seemed to get longer in each game.

For those not familiar with this collection, there is also a challenge mode, where you can play premade scenarios from the 6 games. Sometimes they are small sections of several levels tied together, other times they are boss fights, and sometimes they're a combination of both. There are 54 in total, although you have to beat a few of them to keep unlocking the next ones. One of the trophies in this game is to get Gold in 50 of the 54 challenges (the rank is based on how fast you beat it).

This is unquestionably, one of the worst and most difficult things I've ever come across. I think it took me 40 minutes to get gold in the first challenge, and the time required was under 3 minutes, so it wasn't a long challenge. Some of them are easier, but the only "easy" challenges I've found so far are the shortest ones that have a method where you can cheese a boss fight. The worst ones are the ones with several sections of a level tied together because each section has a unique strategy based on the weapons you have, which you would never guess how to complete on your own. The only good thing I can say is that you can view replays of the top 100 times on the leaderboard, although many of their strategies are too complex for the average person to execute, so I still have to look up a more achievable time.

I've done about 6 of the 50 challenges needed and it has taken a few hours to get this far. I will keep grinding it out and get them all done, but I think playing this game and Bloodborne at the same time was a bad idea because both games are so difficult that sometimes I don't want to play either. I've made it to the DLC in Bloodborne, so maybe I'll try to power through that so I can have a more realistic backup game when Mega Man frustrates me.
I had no idea the anniversary collection had those optional challenges. I own and completed the collection on the Gamecube, and it was pretty bare-bones. I picked this one up too for the Switch, but haven't found a reason yet to play it given how big my backlog is. The challenges sound interesting though. I completed all of the in-game achievements in Mega Man 9, 10, and 11, so I wonder how these challenges compare.

I had no idea the anniversary collection had those optional challenges. I own and completed the collection on the Gamecube, and it was pretty bare-bones. I picked this one up too for the Switch, but haven't found a reason yet to play it given how big my backlog is. The challenges sound interesting though. I completed all of the in-game achievements in Mega Man 9, 10, and 11, so I wonder how these challenges compare.
The X Legacy Collection (1) has a new feature as well: Throwing two bosses, often from different games, at you simultaneously. It's... not great, honestly? Like there wasn't a ton of thought put into it, no care (I didn't notice any of the bosses acting differently than normal) and some of the combinations are just straight awful and not fun in the least.

I would suspect it's something similar with MM Legacy's challenge stages, albeit more of a puzzle instead of getting mercilessly beaten because your muscle memory of the various bosses isn't constantly ganking you.

I still gotta suffer through X Legacy 2, then play MM Legacy and actually need to remember to buy the Zero Collection. RIP Battle Network 'cause Xbox and Capcom (understandably, sadly) not being able to justify the cost of the port.

The X Legacy Collection (1) has a new feature as well: Throwing two bosses, often from different games, at you simultaneously. It's... not great, honestly? Like there wasn't a ton of thought put into it, no care (I didn't notice any of the bosses acting differently than normal) and some of the combinations are just straight awful and not fun in the least.

I would suspect it's something similar with MM Legacy's challenge stages, albeit more of a puzzle instead of getting mercilessly beaten because your muscle memory of the various bosses isn't constantly ganking you.

I still gotta suffer through X Legacy 2, then play MM Legacy and actually need to remember to buy the Zero Collection. RIP Battle Network 'cause Xbox and Capcom (understandably, sadly) not being able to justify the cost of the port.
I hated this feature in the X collection almost as much as I hated X8. Nothing about it felt right.

With Bloodborne out of the way, I have moved on to Star Wars Battlefront (as I continue to struggle with Mega Man). This is not the original from a couple of decades ago, but the one that came out in 2015. I was actually reasonably close to the platinum back when I used to play it, needing only one online trophy and a few offline ones. I had not really tackled the DLC though.

I find this game super fun. Apparently I had already put about 70 hours into it, and I can see why. It's easy to pick up and play and I could definitely see myself putting another 70 hours into it. It's good I have the motivation, because although I got the one multiplayer trophy out of the way, I'm trying to do the DLC ones next, and they might end up taking 70 hours. At some point, I will delve back into the single player, but I believe I need to beat some of the missions on the hardest difficulty (that said, if anyone owns this game and wants to help out in co-op, let me know).

The servers are more populated than you might expect, but the DLC servers are definitely not as busy. Last night I had no problem getting into a game for the first DLC pack (haven't tried the others yet), but this morning I had no such luck. I haven't heard anything about the servers getting shut down, but I can only imagine it getting more difficult over time.

I remember the game not being that well-liked when it came out, and while it lacks the brilliance of the Galactic Conquest game mode from the original, they nailed the gameplay, and that's what keeps me coming back to a game. There are a ton of multiplayer game modes, and while some are better than others, there are a lot of good ones. Did anyone play Battlefront II? I never bought it, so curious to hear how it is.

Finished Fatal Frame 2 and Control (still trudging through some hidden locations in Control for the final trophy) and started Alan Wake with me friend. I'm not totally sure what I want to play on my own after Control yet; maybe an Armored Core, or I finish Vagrant Story, or maybe I finish Mario Wonder

Okay. Just found BROFORCE on game pass. 2d platform shooty run’n’gun pixely game full of testosterone and 80s action hero parodies. Rambo, commando, die hard, highlander, Conan, alien, predator, Robocop, terminator and countless more. Super america patriotic. Think team america but less puppets and alleyway vomiting and more firepower and explosions. Good fun.

@Smacktard what do you mean Wut? SoulCalibur V is so bad! Sooo bad. Make the pain stop, it's been months and I still seethe. :bawl

This, specifically, is the embodiment of absolute fucking suffering. (I didn't watch the video but it's about the game type in question and says "rage" in the title so I figure scrolling through should provide plenty of examples.)

I was worried my "Wut" would be misinterpreted hahaha. My "wut" wasn't in reaction to you, but in reaction to the game design.

wt actual f r they doin
Could've gone either way with the hot take of dropping the whole genre, but yeah! 😂

I don't think they had any idea what they were doing with that. Everything from the ground up was horribly misguided, lacking in budget - and apparently rushed out the door for good measure.

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I'm playing a few games right now:

FF12 Zodiac Age: Trophy Cleanup

Odin Sphere: Change of pace, may ultimately try to plat this one. It's pretty fun.

It Takes Two: Doing a playthrough with one of my friends.

Worms WMD: My wife and I get high then play this.

Tetris Effect: For when I'm high and want to just chill.

Odin Sphere: Change of pace, may ultimately try to plat this one. It's pretty fun.
I was FINALLY gonna play that one next, but I didn't have enough time left before my next leave from Saudi. Looking forward to checking it out -- but I'm gonna be returning with a PS3 so I'll probably work through that backlog instead

Reactions: TD

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I was FINALLY gonna play that one next, but I didn't have enough time left before my next leave from Saudi. Looking forward to checking it out -- but I'm gonna be returning with a PS3 so I'll probably work through that backlog instead
I honestly have never even heard of it. I was watching some recent videos that cover the games that come to PS Plus each month and it jumped out at me as something I might like. I was not wrong. I haven't even got beyond the first character yet though.

@Smacktard what do you mean Wut? SoulCalibur V is so bad! Sooo bad. Make the pain stop, it's been months and I still seethe. :bawl

This, specifically, is the embodiment of absolute fucking suffering. (I didn't watch the video but it's about the game type in question and says "rage" in the title so I figure scrolling through should provide plenty of examples.)

Is that gambit?

I honestly have never even heard of it. I was watching some recent videos that cover the games that come to PS Plus each month and it jumped out at me as something I might like. I was not wrong. I haven't even got beyond the first character yet though.
I love Vanillaware's games. Muramasa and Dragon's Crown are great. I'll probably get their next one too.

Is that gambit?
Haha, actually, yes and no. SoulCalibur is super cool about all of its customization options, so creative types can make homages/cosplays for tons upon tons of things in a very unofficial capacity.

Which is another reason the series having 3 (1/2?) stinkers back-to-back is so disappointing.

I started a play through of Uncharted 2 on brutal difficulty. I know this is universally the most-liked Uncharted game, but I've never found it to be any better or worse than the other PS3 ones. I think I like all 3 of them better than Uncharted 4, but other than that, they're fairly interchangeable for me.

As for the task at hand, brutal difficulty is legitimately broken. I've beaten Uncharted 1 and 3 on brutal, and based on everything I've read on tons of different websites, they basically didn't playtest any of the 3 games on this difficulty level. Enemies have near-perfect aim, and you can only take one hit without dying. There are certain sections in those other games where you are running away being chased by someone, and you basically rely on luck to escape.

All 3 games have a glitch that allows you to use the golden weapons (i.e. one-hit kill) on this difficulty. It's still absurdly hard, but very doable with this glitch. The caveat is that for Uncharted 2 only, they patched this glitch out. This means you can only do it if you have a physical copy and remove the patches. As my copy is digital, I'm trying to do this legit. So far, I'm at the end of chapter 5, which is not all that far, but I'm doing better than I expected. Unlike UC1 and 3, I am following a video guide in the sections where I die 10 or so times, and it has helped a lot. The other challenge I've heard of this difficulty is that there is little-to-no ammo, but so far, that hasn't been the case for me.

I started a play through of Uncharted 2 on brutal difficulty. I know this is universally the most-liked Uncharted game, but I've never found it to be any better or worse than the other PS3 ones.
How long ago did you play UC1? I played 1-3 back-to-back-to-back, and I found UC1 to be noticeably worse than the others. It's very same-y throughout, and signposting is worse than the other games. Movement isn't as fun, is glitchier, and the gun fighting is pretty weak too. Set pieces aren't as awe-inspiring either.
As for the task at hand, brutal difficulty is legitimately broken. I've beaten Uncharted 1 and 3 on brutal, and based on everything I've read on tons of different websites, they basically didn't playtest any of the 3 games on this difficulty level.
One correction -- you die after two hits. One hit puts you in the danger zone, another hit kills you if you don't recover. Brutal difficulty on these games is awful. I did it legit on all of them, too. It can be annoying at times, but the worst parts are definitely the car chases. You have to be pretty much perfect, and even then it's basically RNG if you get killed or not.

How long ago did you play UC1? I played 1-3 back-to-back-to-back, and I found UC1 to be noticeably worse than the others. It's very same-y throughout, and signposting is worse than the other games. Movement isn't as fun, is glitchier, and the gun fighting is pretty weak too. Set pieces aren't as awe-inspiring either.

I have played all 3 a few times, because I took a break before doing the DLC (which requires a couple of runs). I agree that the first one is the least refined, but it didn't bother me too much. If I were ranking Playstation exclusive franchises, Uncharted would be closer to the bottom than the top IMO. I find it fairly underwhelming. I have to admit though, there's a bit of comfortable familiarity in this current play through. I kinda just like the idea of a simple game with very few mechanics.

One correction -- you die after two hits. One hit puts you in the danger zone, another hit kills you if you don't recover. Brutal difficulty on these games is awful. I did it legit on all of them, too. It can be annoying at times, but the worst parts are definitely the car chases. You have to be pretty much perfect, and even then it's basically RNG if you get killed or not.
At the risk of sounding very dumb 1-2 weeks from now, it hasn't been too bad so far. I'm at chapter 11 or 12, and there have definitely been a few really frustrating sections, but I'm surprised how much progress I'm making. The hardest parts were some of the earlier combat sections, while I got re-adjusted to how absurd brutal difficulty is, but I don't know if I've spent more than an hour on any given checkpoint, which is probably better than I can say for UC1 or 3.

Still, I have all of the train stuff and the final boss, so I'm prepared for that to change.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I just played Superliminal. It's a short puzzle game where "perspective is reality". So you can change the size of things by moving them farther or closer, sometimes you need to look at things from a certain angle, etc. It was interesting and made me think without being too difficult. It's got a bunch of hidden stuff that I missed, so I might look up a trophy guide and go back through for all that.

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I just played Superliminal. It's a short puzzle game where "perspective is reality". So you can change the size of things by moving them farther or closer, sometimes you need to look at things from a certain angle, etc. It was interesting and made me think without being too difficult. It's got a bunch of hidden stuff that I missed, so I might look up a trophy guide and go back through for all that.
Is that the one that JUST came to the Plus Catalog? It sounds similar and seemed interesting.

I recently also started playing Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga via the GBA emulator on Switch. I've never played this game before, and it does have some unique moments, but it feels like a lot of the other 2D Mario RPG-type games (Paper Mario in particular). I think this will take me a while to beat because I'm not actively working on it, but just whenever I go somewhere and bring my Switch with me.
I'm still plugging away at this. I thought I was near the end, so I opened a walkthrough to check and it turns out that I'm not even halfway done. It's not that this game is excessively long, but the gameplay loop isn't all that exciting. It doesn't help that I only pick it up every couple of weeks and forget where I am and what I'm doing each time.

How are you playing? PC? I want to play this because I played Control and saw good things about Alan Wake 2, but I was so confused during the Control DLC because it was able Alan Wake stuff and I never played 1.
Played on PS5. I did play a bit of Control on PC a while before restarting on PS5 and the controls were fine. You're prob good to go with either

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I'm currently playing Chants of Sennarr. It's a puzzle game inspired by the tower of Babel, and you have to figure out the meaning of a bunch of glyphs in different languages based on the context you see them in. It's been fun. It makes me think but I'm never stuck for so long that it gets frustrating.

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I am playing fallout 4

View attachment 4802
Who Is That Jeremy Renner GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I mean can't really fault you for spoilers on a game THAT old. It's like someone being like "___ died in Game of Thrones" and being like WHOA SPOILERS.
When you start the game your baby (Shaun) starts crying and your spouse tells you to check on then.

Some people decide to look around for a while and let the baby cry.

Sick people.

It's really not a spoiler, honestly. So fear not.

• Cheers!
On one hand, I’m usually aware of blatant spoilers unless I’m talking to someone who knows and then it’s good. On the other hand I have a Kobayashi Porcelain tshirt from one of my favourite films. Which is a massive spoiler but you have to know to know, and nowhere on the tee is the film actually identified.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
On one hand, I’m usually aware of blatant spoilers unless I’m talking to someone who knows and then it’s good. On the other hand I have a Kobayashi Porcelain tshirt from one of my favourite films. Which is a massive spoiler but you have to know to know, and nowhere on the tee is the film actually identified.
Oh thats a good one

Back
Top Bottom