• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Multi Watcha playing?

Raposuh

Flipwaist
GW Elder
I don't play enough to be playing the newest games. At the moment I'm mostly taking advantage of the portability of my Steam Deck.

How are you liking your steam deck? I've been thinking about getting one mainly to set up as a living room emulator machine that I can take on the go, grab the occasional 'new' game it can handle every once in awhile.

Back around the holidays, I played through GOW (2018) and then started GOW: Ragnarok, then for a while I fell back into a sim racing hole and played a bunch of Assetto Corsa Competizione and iRacing. Then lately with all the TOTK hype I started playing BTOW emulated on my PC at 4K60, which is kind of incredible.

OH! Also, I played Destiny and Destiny 2 obsessively for like 4 years lol. Still occasionally jump in, but Lightfall didn't really do it for me and I just don't have time for the grind rn.

Today I finished Super Mario 3D World. I didn't 100% it because it's genuinely extremely difficult. For some of the levels near the end, I needed to rely on the invincibility that the game gives you when you die too many times - thankfully, Nintendo games almost always show mercy!

Naturally, I started Bowser's Fury, which is the add-on for the Switch version of this game It's basically a completely separate Mario game. It's more similar in style to Odyssey (or I even get Sunshine vibes). I'm not very far in, but I'm liking this more than 3D World. It's quite a bit shorter from my understanding though.

Ravenfreak

GW Elder
I've been doing a no items in battle challenge in my favorite RPG on the original Playstation, Legend of Legaia. I know technically you can't really make it past Rim Elm without being required to use a item in Tetsu's tutorial, but meh. I'm in the final dungeon and I'm grinding before I take on the final boss.

I've been doing a no items in battle challenge in my favorite RPG on the original Playstation, Legend of Legaia. I know technically you can't really make it past Rim Elm without being required to use a item in Tetsu's tutorial, but meh. I'm in the final dungeon and I'm grinding before I take on the final boss.
Wow! This is extremely epic. I first played this game in 1998 on a demo disc and never found the actual game. Years later, when the internet was properly formed, I watched a Lets Play on YouTube and it happened to be this game. Totally rocked me. I remember being so afraid of the monsters in this game - looking back, they are the most non-threatening polygons I've ever seen. :chuckle

Naturally, I started Bowser's Fury, which is the add-on for the Switch version of this game It's basically a completely separate Mario game. It's more similar in style to Odyssey (or I even get Sunshine vibes). I'm not very far in, but I'm liking this more than 3D World. It's quite a bit shorter from my understanding though.
Update on this: I just beat the game. It's definitely very short, although you only need 50/100 shrines to beat the game. Once you beat the game, there are actually a couple of quality of life upgrades: you can fast travel and they put the location of the shrines on the map (not a huge deal when trying to beat the game as the main islands are quite clear, but if you're going for all 100 shrines, there are some that are on individual islands that are harder to track.

As for the game itself, although I enjoyed it, I have one main criticism. One of the unique mechanics of the game is that every 6 minutes, Bowser will unleash his fury and the game turns dark and stormy and he attacks you. There are certain shrines that require this mode to be active, and every time you obtain enough shrines to progress the game, you also need to be in this mode to advance. The problem is that, unless you buy the Amiibo, there's no way to trigger this mode. You have to wait the 6 minutes. I think that getting a shrine resets the timer, so once you are ready to advance the plot or work on a shrine that needs this mode, you don't have an option other than just waiting.

Overall, it's a fun addition to 3D World, but probably not worth re-buying the game if you already owned the Wii U version.

Up next is Metroid Fusion. I started playing this months ago, but got stuck and gave up.

I try to limit my gaming in the summer months so I'll go outside and be with with other people and things like that, so I've been avoiding the games I know will suck me in for a month, like Zelda and FF. It's been fun to focus on the smaller, indie games.

Right now I'm bouncing between Cult of the Lamb and Dredge. In the former, you're a lamb who was sacrificed but brought back to life to serve a god, and you start a cult in his name to free him. It's s combination of base building and running through randomized dungeons. The gameplay loop is incredibly satisfying. One night I was debating what to do next in it after playing for several hours, and it took me a few minutes to realize the answer was go to bed. The combat is straightforward enough that it's not mentally taxing to play, but the randomized weapons, abilities, bonuses, and rooms keep it interesting.

Dredge is a fishing game with a day and night cycle. During the day, it's your standard tooling around in a boat, reeling up fish and treasures, and dodging gigantic tentacles and mind sucking monsters. At night, the malevolent fog rolls in, which is full of things hazardous to both your life and your sanity. The "sanity meter" is done very well; there's not an actual meter, but you start to see weirder and more dangerous things. I can't even count the number of times I've been playing and started yelling something like "uhhh, what is that? Oh no it's chasing me ahhhh!!"

If you're looking for something lighter than an epic, open world, AAA game, then I highly recommend them both.

Jawneh

The Sorcerer
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Cult of the Lamb was fun. I'm upset that one of the Steam achievements for the game required you to do a sidequest to get it. And I had completed that quest before the achievements were implemented, so I got to play again if I want that. :/ Supposedly there was a patch not too long ago that added more content into it, but haven't booted it up yet again.

Just finished the main big baddie in Tears of The Kingdom. :woohooI'll at least get all the shrines before deciding if I want to even entertain the idea of 100%ing the game, 100%ish it without worrying about Korok seeds, or just call it there.

Been replaying Paper Mario 64 to prepare for DMing a Mario TTRPG with some friends online. Currently on the ice boss. Wanted to do a BP only run like I did for Thousand Year Door recently, but it was proving to be a completely different animal. For TTYD your stats max out at 99 but in this one it's 50 HP/50 FP/30 BP, so I had to start putting all my points in FP during Chapter 4. Really frustrating trying to play with different badge loadouts when you barely have any BP to spend, and it's a lot harder to make up for the low health when enemies rarely target your partner in this one. Eventually broke down and put one point into HP last session because I was tired of relying on items.

With all that said it's still a great game and I'm enjoying it. Didn't remember the sequel being so much of an upgrade though. It's weird having no partner health bars.

I finished Metroid Fusion tonight. It was a lot of fun. For one thing, it's a Metroid game - the formula has been the same in every Metroid game I've played (even Prime, which has a different look but a very similar formula). Still, it's really satisfying to get more and more powerful throughout the game. Even though it would totally break the game, I would love a new game+ mode.

I did need the help of a walkthrough on more than one occasion because the worst part about Metroid is bombing every single pixel in the map to find some super obscure hole in the wall to move forward. Also, I abused save states big time because this game is super hard and I don't think I would have even beaten it without them.

Rather than start up something new, I think I'll keep plugging away at TOTK for a week or so before figuring out where to go from here. I'm staying at my parents' for a few days, so I don't have my PS5 here, and I think it's time to go back to that for a while since my Switch has been getting plenty of use.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Y’all are either gonna laugh or send white coats our way, but the only game I’ve had time to play lately is The Show 21. Why haven’t we upgraded? Well… we’re in the 2026 franchise season with the goddamn Baltimore Raffees (dumbass girlfriend speak for “giraffes”) and we’re kicking the shit outta the AL yet again.

IMG_2846.jpeg

Cult of the Lamb was fun. I'm upset that one of the Steam achievements for the game required you to do a sidequest to get it. And I had completed that quest before the achievements were implemented, so I got to play again if I want that. :/ Supposedly there was a patch not too long ago that added more content into it, but haven't booted it up yet again.

I'm playing on PlayStation, but it looks like the additional content let's you do longer crusades with content mixed together from all areas and pauses time in your cult so you can focus on the crusade. It keeps track which fleeces you've used to beat them too, so it's been interesting to try different play styles with the different bonuses and restrictions those have.

Raposuh

Flipwaist
GW Elder
Managed a nice long session of Sea of Thieves yesterday. Something about sailing around with no real goal, queueing up sea shanties on Spotify brings me a lot of stress relief. Can't wait for the Monkey Island crossover adventure to come out later this month.

With all that said, once my crewmate signed on, the real piracy began. We started out just completing voyages for in game commendations, but that plan quickly changed when the new top world event spawned at the skeleton fort the next island over. Being lucky to be so close, we got there before anybody else and took down several waves of Skeletons before anybody else showed up to contest the fort. All told, we sank 6 or 7 different ships, although it was hard to tell how many were the same crew coming back again and again trying to land someone on the fort to hide from us.

Eventually we made it to the boss wave and that's where people started trying to make their real plays against us. Somebody hiding on the fort used the cannon emplacements to start attacking our ship, so I sailed us out and away while my crewmate hunted them down. A couple minutes later, I spotted someone swimming out to me from the fort with a black powder keg, but they didn't make it close enough before I managed to wing the keg with a pistol shot and set it off.

Then the bigger ship showed up. My crew just runs a 2 man sloop most of the time, but there are 3 player Brigantine and 4 player Galleons out there as well. Out from behind the mountainous rocks North of the fort came a brig, flying in full sail with a bloody reapers flag flying on the main mast. Unfortunately for them, they underestimated my crewmate and he managed to board them with a keg and down all 3 with the blast. They actually brought us more loot than the fort would give us. While we were distracted though, some very patient pirate finished off the boss, opened the loot vault and swam away with the rare chest of fortunes inside,which was the only reason any of were there in the first place.

The game is total chaos sometimes, I love it.

Pirate Horizon GIF by Sea of Thieves

I started Kirby's Dream Land on Nintendo Switch Online this morning. I was unsure if I'd played this game before, but it only took me 31 minutes to beat the game (and I'm still not sure if I had played it before now that I've beaten it). The mechanics are extremely simple, even given how old the game is. The boss fights are fun, but the rest of the game is pretty pointless.

Anyways, although this is in direct opposition to what I was saying in the thread about gaming being too expensive, this game is just too small. It definitely brings back an era where you didn't know what you were getting content-wise when you buy a game. Up next is Kirby's Dream Land 2, which I definitely have played before, and, from what I remember, is longer than the first game.

Managed a nice long session of Sea of Thieves yesterday. Something about sailing around with no real goal, queueing up sea shanties on Spotify brings me a lot of stress relief. Can't wait for the Monkey Island crossover adventure to come out later this month.

With all that said, once my crewmate signed on, the real piracy began. We started out just completing voyages for in game commendations, but that plan quickly changed when the new top world event spawned at the skeleton fort the next island over. Being lucky to be so close, we got there before anybody else and took down several waves of Skeletons before anybody else showed up to contest the fort. All told, we sank 6 or 7 different ships, although it was hard to tell how many were the same crew coming back again and again trying to land someone on the fort to hide from us.

Eventually we made it to the boss wave and that's where people started trying to make their real plays against us. Somebody hiding on the fort used the cannon emplacements to start attacking our ship, so I sailed us out and away while my crewmate hunted them down. A couple minutes later, I spotted someone swimming out to me from the fort with a black powder keg, but they didn't make it close enough before I managed to wing the keg with a pistol shot and set it off.

Then the bigger ship showed up. My crew just runs a 2 man sloop most of the time, but there are 3 player Brigantine and 4 player Galleons out there as well. Out from behind the mountainous rocks North of the fort came a brig, flying in full sail with a bloody reapers flag flying on the main mast. Unfortunately for them, they underestimated my crewmate and he managed to board them with a keg and down all 3 with the blast. They actually brought us more loot than the fort would give us. While we were distracted though, some very patient pirate finished off the boss, opened the loot vault and swam away with the rare chest of fortunes inside,which was the only reason any of were there in the first place.

The game is total chaos sometimes, I love it.

Pirate Horizon GIF by Sea of Thieves

I've considered playing that game many times but I really have no time for it and I'm not a fan of pvp so that's a no but I love reading stories like this about it.

Raposuh

Flipwaist
GW Elder
On Xbox at least, it's fairly peaceful unless you go looking for it. I've gone weeks without another ship attacking mine, but I also make sure to make it clear to other ships that I wouldn't be an easy sink.

It's definitely a time sink though, any goal beyond do a few voyages takes a long damn time.

I started Kirby's Dream Land on Nintendo Switch Online this morning. I was unsure if I'd played this game before, but it only took me 31 minutes to beat the game (and I'm still not sure if I had played it before now that I've beaten it). The mechanics are extremely simple, even given how old the game is. The boss fights are fun, but the rest of the game is pretty pointless.

Anyways, although this is in direct opposition to what I was saying in the thread about gaming being too expensive, this game is just too small. It definitely brings back an era where you didn't know what you were getting content-wise when you buy a game. Up next is Kirby's Dream Land 2, which I definitely have played before, and, from what I remember, is longer than the first game.

This morning I beat Kirby's Dream Land 2. This game is far superior to the first one. Granted, it still only took me 1 hour and 55 minutes to beat, but there was even a bit of extra content in the form of collectibles that I could have done if I really wanted to.

This game is much more fleshed out. For one thing, you can actually absorb powers, so it opens up a lot more variety in the gameplay. Also, whereas the first game had only 5 worlds, this one has 7 worlds, each with several individual levels. There are more bosses, and although you fight some of them multiple times, they feel more creative this time around (other than the final fight, which is nearly identical to the first game).

I also liked the addition of ridable characters, which sometimes acted more like an enhanced health bar, but they were still really useful. I'm not sure whether or not I will continue on with the 3rd game or not.

I didn't play the first one, but this game looks appealing to me too. I also want to buy Live A Live, which I think is a similar type of game?

The first one didn't hit me like it hit others. I didn't like that the 8 characters have their own stories and even though they are all together there is very little interaction. It felt very stilted and non-believable. Everyone, even people with my same opinion, has said how awesome the 2nd one is and even though that problem is still there, they have added some interactions to lessen that feeling. The world and open-endedness of it is the biggest feature from what I've read.

VashTheStampede

Jawneh is possibly The Sorcerer
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I'm at 78% completion on FF16 now... have to start planning my next game. Would like an RPG because FF16 is less like an RPG than I expected. More like an Uncharted type game.

Looking at either Octopath Traveler 2, waiting for Baldur's Gate 3, or not playing games for a bit.
Where do you see completion percentage? In-game or on PS5 UI?

Ashlee

GWPS Mascot
GW Elder
I'm (sadly) back to mythic raiding and doing decent level mythic+ keys in WoW. I played classic for a while for each of the expansions, but I kinda got bored of it. Big rose-tinted glasses for the past expansions of the game. I'm also playing a *lot* of TFT. Really enjoying this current set. I go through a lot of phases where I want to play games like Stardew Valley for completion, then I put them back down again for a while too.

I got AEW: Fight Forever, which is not really worth picking up right now for any wrestling fans. I'm hoping once the DLC and updated content gets released, it'll be more enjoyable. It's fun for an arcade style wrestling game but lacks depth and different modes.

I'm still mostly playing on PS4, so I am currently replaying the Uncharted series (currently on Uncharted 3). Recently played through Erica, a creepy FMV game. We play the Jackbox games from time to time for just casual gaming with friends and family. My wife loves Animal Crossing on the Switch when she gets time to game.

Last edited:

Tirith

Sad, lumpy oatmeal that used to be Xellos
GW Elder
FFXVI, so damn good

Probably Diablo 4 next

Play a lot of wow and ffxiv when I have no single player games to play
You just want to hear more of Cid. I dont blame you. Dude's voice is just so.... Orgasmic.

FF16 here currently. Have Rogue Legacy 2 and FF7:R on the steam deck, as well as a few switch games (I play this mostly at work)

Want to get back into FF14, but my friends I played with have moved on (after thousands of hours) and it isn't nearly as fun alone.

VashTheStampede

Jawneh is possibly The Sorcerer
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I got AEW: Fight Forever, which is not really worth picking up right now for any wrestling fans. I'm hoping once the DLC and updated content gets released, it'll be more enjoyable. It's fun for an arcade style wrestling game but lacks depth and different modes.
Yeah I was pretty disappointed with the lack of content. Hilariously, my daughter LOVES the game and she has only a passing interest in wrestling. She got to make a tag team with a Bunny Girl and Cat Girl beating up people with barbed wire so she's happy.

aiat_gamer

GW Elder
1 Year Old Poster
Apart from some online games with friends (Hunt showdown, fortnite and grounded), I am not starting anything big because I want to be ready when Baldur's Gate comes out.
Until then, I am doing some indie games like Rain world, Bookwalker and the Case of Golden Idol.

I'm on my yearly kick of Minecraft at the moment. Otherwise, basically just waiting on Cities Skylines 2 and the MGS collection. And I guess resisting the urge to buy a PS5 solely for the next FF7 part.

Same. Loved the first one.
idk if y'all have been keeping up with the feature videos, but this game looks pretty incredible to me. The city services video that dropped this afternoon in particular sounds like a major improvement over CS1!

idk if y'all have been keeping up with the feature videos, but this game looks pretty incredible to me. The city services video that dropped this afternoon in particular sounds like a major improvement over CS1!
Been keeping up to date with them, and checked that one out when I got home from work. Looks amazing so far, certainly looking like a proper sequel, taking the best bits from the first and expanding upon them. I never pre-order, but they're certainly testing my resolve right now 😅

I will probably need a graphics card upgrade first, though, so I imagine I'll put off buying CS2 until after that, which hopefully means I can avoid any Day One issues. Or I'll cave immediately, gonna have to flip that coin, haha.

I'm really hoping they can get some more threading going in CS2. Having everything locked to a single thread really hampered performance in that game. If they can make use of all 16 threads in my 7800X3D I will be very happy lol.

Wonder if 32 GB of RAM will be enough? I know CS1 could use a shitload with lots of mods...

aiat_gamer

GW Elder
1 Year Old Poster
I'm really hoping they can get some more threading going in CS2. Having everything locked to a single thread really hampered performance in that game. If they can make use of all 16 threads in my 7800X3D I will be very happy lol.

Wonder if 32 GB of RAM will be enough? I know CS1 could use a shitload with lots of mods...
Of course, it will be a good while before more than 32 is required for games.

CS1 is basically why I decided on 64GB when I did some upgrades. Get enough mods and assets in there, and it goes QUICK.

I do hope CS2 is much better optimised, it was definitely showing it's age a bit towards the end, but it was never really designed with such longevity in mind.

Yesterday I started working towards the platinum on Mirror's Edge Catalyst. I last played this game in 2017, based on my most recent trophy. It appears that I actually completed the most difficult trophies back then, leaving me with just (1) various parkour trophies, and (2) collectibles. If you'll indulge me, a quick rant about this otherwise fun game:

The parkour trophies are kind of dumb. It's a cool idea to string together the various movement techniques in the game, but I'm pretty sure half of these trophies are bugged. You can perform the identical move set several times, and the trophy won't pop. Some googling confirmed that other people were having similar trouble. It wasn't all that bad - you can just grind out the same set of moves for 10-20 minutes and eventually get it, but it was sort of dumb.

The collectibles are where I have a much bigger issue. Firstly, this game might have surpassed God of War/GOW Ragnarok for having the worst map I've ever seen in a game. It's all in white, and it's one of those 3D maps where you can see the height of each building. Nearly everything looks identical, and some of the landmarks actually disappear from the map after you complete them. This makes following a guide for collectibles very challenging, because it's hard to tell where they actually start. Most of the guides were done on a new play through, where these previous landmarks still existed.

I've been using various video guides for each zone's collectibles, and though this isn't the fault of the game, every different guide I came across has the same problem: they show you where they start in the zone, and then never again refer to the map. In other words, once you start picking up one zone's collectibles, you can't get thrown off course or you won't be able to find your place again, and will need to follow the path through the entirety of the video. This wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the fact that there are randomly spawning enemies and a near-unlimited number of security cameras everywhere. Once a security camera finds you, you have to run really far away to get enemies to stop spawning. So far away, that you basically can't get back on track from where you left off collecting (again, because the guides don't show the map position of each individual collectible, and the whole world looks the same). Not a single one of these guides ever seems to encounter enemies though.

Another issue is that the game conflates collectibles that are in the replayable missions with those found in each zone. So you can seemingly finish the collectables in a zone and still have some left because you need to redo the related mission. Some of the video guides seem to include this and others don't. I finally realized that it's just going to be easier for me to replay the missions and get those collectibles first, and do the remainder of the zone afterwards, but it's still something I haven't seen in other games.

The collectibles are probably not as bad as I'm suggesting here - I'm going to have this done sometime within the next few days, but I've never seen so many strange design choices in the same game.

I'm on my yearly kick of Minecraft at the moment. Otherwise, basically just waiting on Cities Skylines 2 and the MGS collection. And I guess resisting the urge to buy a PS5 solely for the next FF7 part.
That’s exactly where I am. Absolutely loved FF7 on PS1 but haven’t played any of the remake yet as I only have Xbox. There was talk about it being a timed exclusive but that’s clearly not the case now!

I just started another playthrough of Bioshock Infinite. I've actually almost finished it since I'm sick and had the day off work.

Having recently played the first two games, my opinion is reinforced that Infinite is probably the best game in the series. I find the simplicity of the gunplay/vigors in this game to be far superior. The first couple of games are a mad scramble switching between guns and ammo types because you run out of ammo so frequently, and there are so many plasmids/tonics that it's overwhelming. Infinite only lets you hold two guns at a time and although there are 8 vigors, they aren't as important to the gameplay, so there is less going on. The enemy types are also less annoying than the likes of Houdini Splicers and Spider Splicers.

I'm not much of a story guy - in this series or otherwise - but I generally prefer the more colourful world of the skies to the dark and depressing worlds in the seas.

Also, the skyhooks that you can fly along are so much fun. They make the game feel a lot faster-paced than the more plodding nature of the early games. I'm obviously a bit influenced by my recent time spent in Mirror's Edge, but I would love to see a version of this game that allowed you some parkour elements.

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Despite having a PS5 and PS Plus Premium, I don't play a whole lot.

Rogue Legacy 2 is something I've been playing a lot of and I'm obsessed.

Undertale just came on the catalog and I'm pretty excited to play that for the first time ever.

With a couple exceptions, I'm typically not into the BIG names anymore.

Back
Top Bottom