Multi Watcha playing?

Currently, I am playing The Talos Principle 2. If you've never played the first one and you like puzzle games, please stop what you're doing and play it immediately. Easily one of the best games I've ever played, and the second one is better than the first one. It's one of those games where I'm not going to be able to stop playing until I beat it.

Currently, I am playing The Talos Principle 2. If you've never played the first one and you like puzzle games, please stop what you're doing and play it immediately. Easily one of the best games I've ever played, and the second one is better than the first one. It's one of those games where I'm not going to be able to stop playing until I beat it.
I'm not huge on puzzle games, but I know a lot of people love it. Now I'll definitely check it out at some point though!

I'm playing Dead Space 2 for the first time ever. I'm loving it. It's very different in some ways from DS1, but overall it's an upgrade. It's just such a well-crafted game, which you don't normally see in new hit IPs that then get sequelized for a cash grab.

My one complaint is unskippable cutscenes. How can a game be SO well crafted, and still make a simple mistake like this? I just don't get it.

Just finished my first playthrough of Elden Ring shortly before posting this. Feels good man, first time I've ever beaten (or even come close to beating) a FromSoft game. Because I realized I could actually make progress in this one I decided early on that I wanted to beat it without summoning anyone to help me. Pretty much accomplished that aside from the Crucible Knight duo and accidentally killing the Godskin Duo first try when I was testing out an NPC summon to see what they were like.

It was kind of a weird experience towards the end though, because instead of challenging myself I started to become overleveled and felt like I had to nerf myself. There were several late-game bosses that felt like a cheap win, because I would be struggling a bit, decide to try my mimic tear, and then it would turn into a cakewalk. The game just became like "Do I want to spend the next couple hours fighting this same dude over and over until I get it perfect, or do I want to summon the mimic and just get this over with?". Luckily I didn't have to use it for the last boss, but had this happen to me the first time I reached phase 2:
20240114030226_1.jpg

Not sure what's next, but my backlog isn't getting any lighter.

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Just finished my first playthrough of Elden Ring shortly before posting this. Feels good man, first time I've ever beaten (or even come close to beating) a FromSoft game. Because I realized I could actually make progress in this one I decided early on that I wanted to beat it without summoning anyone to help me. Pretty much accomplished that aside from the Crucible Knight duo and accidentally killing the Godskin Duo first try when I was testing out an NPC summon to see what they were like.
Awesome - congrats. Fromsoft games can be a blast if you get into them.

Did you do all the optional content and bosses too?
There were several late-game bosses that felt like a cheap win, because I would be struggling a bit, decide to try my mimic tear, and then it would turn into a cakewalk. The game just became like "Do I want to spend the next couple hours fighting this same dude over and over until I get it perfect, or do I want to summon the mimic and just get this over with?". Luckily I didn't have to use it for the last boss, but had this happen to me the first time I reached phase 2:
This summarizes Elden Ring pretty well. But what I've realized about Elden Ring as opposed to earlier from software titles is they really test memorization as opposed to reaction speed. This is evident with the amount of delayed attacks.

My one complaint is unskippable cutscenes. How can a game be SO well crafted, and still make a simple mistake like this? I just don't get it.
I read faster than most people, so I normally have subtitles enabled and I will read the line and skip to the next. I enjoy most voice acting in games, but if I'm just trying to get through something, I prefer to skip cutscenes. So yeah, that's infuriating.

I read faster than most people, so I normally have subtitles enabled and I will read the line and skip to the next. I enjoy most voice acting in games, but if I'm just trying to get through something, I prefer to skip cutscenes. So yeah, that's infuriating.
This is one of the reasons I prefer Morrowind's gigantic textboxes to Skyrim or Oblivion (especially lmao) speech.

I had planned to play the DLC for Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. I beat this game years ago and never bothered with the DLC, but it's always on sale for a few bucks, so I picked it up. I guess I traded in my physical copy of the game years ago, but the game was in my Playstation library (somehow), so I figured I was good to go. But even after downloading it, when I boot it up, the game tells me I have to buy it. I tried restoring licenses and that didn't work, so I have no idea what to do. I don't think I legitimately own it though, because it's no longer on PS+ Extra and was never in the base mode. I'll be on the hunt for a cheap used copy though - I need the original version of the game because the GOTY edition has a separate trophy list!

Instead, I booted up Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair. This feels like every 2D platformer from Nintendo (I know this isn't by them), which is as high of a compliment as you can get. I'm a die-hard Banjo fan, so I love how this series is a spiritual successor. This one is quite different from the first game, but it lends itself very well to the 2D format.

Awesome - congrats. Fromsoft games can be a blast if you get into them.

Did you do all the optional content and bosses too?

This summarizes Elden Ring pretty well. But what I've realized about Elden Ring as opposed to earlier from software titles is they really test memorization as opposed to reaction speed. This is evident with the amount of delayed attacks.
I played Bloodborne and DS3 before this, but the games were always too difficult for me to play solo for very long. Thank God I had friends to co-op with because that would be 60 bucks down the drain. Elden Ring is easily one of my favorite games of all time now. Not only was it accessible to people who suck like me, but it felt like when I dodged something I could actually dodge something. Though it probably helps that this might be the first time I actually used a shield in my build.

Uhh I did most of them, but I guarantee I missed some stuff. There were so many times I would look up where to find something or how to progress and realize I skipped an entire area. I fought Radahn after Malenia and killed him on my second try before he could even pop off his second phase. I had skipped one of the magma wyrms in the volcano area and didn't realize he was guarding an entirely new path until after I beat the game and looked up what happened to Boc. The game is so massive and packed full that even the most obvious stuff can be completely missed.

Reactions: TD
I just beat Super Mario Wonder and now moving onto Bowser's Fury. I'm not liking how floaty Fury feels compared to the tight controls of Wonder. It's a stark difference and I'm having trouble getting hooked on it. I'm halfway through Mario RPG as well.

I need to finish those games in two weeks because Persona 3 Reload comes out 2/4 and I think I'm going to get it since P4 and P5 are some of the best games I've ever played and this version of 3 has all the quality of life features the newer games have. Problem is that the story is around 80 hours long if you straight line it, so I'm not completely sure if I'm going to get it. Most likely will.

Instead, I booted up Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair. This feels like every 2D platformer from Nintendo (I know this isn't by them), which is as high of a compliment as you can get. I'm a die-hard Banjo fan, so I love how this series is a spiritual successor. This one is quite different from the first game, but it lends itself very well to the 2D format.
If you liked this, give Kaze and the Wild Masks a try. It's a lot like the OG Donkey Kong games, or like DKCR or DKCTF. A bit easier, but still an absolutely fantastic play.

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I may have finally found a game that's getting me back into gaming.

I'm currently playing Stranger of Paradise.

It's objectively not great but something about the combination of Nioh style combat, Final Fantasy nostalgia, and dialogue/story that is so bad it's good is connecting with me right now.

I may have finally found a game that's getting me back into gaming.

I'm currently playing Stranger of Paradise.

It's objectively not great but something about the combination of Nioh style combat, Final Fantasy nostalgia, and dialogue/story that is so bad it's good is connecting with me right now.
not huntdown? ;_;

Fire Queen

official GWF wolfmistress (sometimes) | she/they
GW Elder
currently chest deep in Yakuza: Like a Dragon. i was unsure how the move from action brawler to rpg would treat me but it’s been great. there are some nitpicks, but no rpg is perfect. on the other hand, one of the characters pulls out a hitachi magic wand and gives herself a neck massage to self-heal. so, like, i’ll take it not being perfect. the story and (most of) the characters are great, but i’m not done with the main story yet. i’m about 3/4 through i think. the mini-games and side content in this one are really good, too. i really liked the management sim and it should say something about how often i play mahjong in yakuza games that one of my highest points of praise for this game is that they’ve really upped the game with the mahjong AI in this one. that royal table was no joke (but i kicked their asses anyway babyyyyyy)

i’ve also been poking away at finally playing all the way through Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War. shout outs to rick! in my earlier playthroughs of this game it was always so brutal that i never made it even to the end of chapter 1. this time is different. this time i’ve made it to the end of chapter TWO!!!!! this game fucking hates you, man. it hates you and wants you dead and laughs at your quality of life improvements. it kicks ass and i’m excited for the remake that’s definitely happening maybe.

my fiancée and i have also been chomping up some really good visual novels lately. here are my recs and elevator pitches:
  • Soul of Sovereignty Prelude by ggdg. you may know ggdg from their webcomic Cucumber Quest or their more mature work, Lady of the Shard. this is a short introduction to a story that’s going to be going for a while and WOW, is it good so far. some of the music is composed and arranged by the author/illustrator, but toby ”undertale” fox also contributed a ton to the soundtrack. get in on the ground floor of this one, especially if you like deconstructing jrpg storytelling tropes!! and also if you like evil women
  • Spare Parts by Sophie Rose. transgender robots with brain problems. if that doesn’t make you want to read it, it probably isn’t for you. but god DAMN is it good.
  • Misericorde: Volume One by XEECEE. if you played Pentiment and were like boy do i wish there were more murder mysteries set in monasteries i have great news for you about this one. the writing is great. the music is great. the art is great. and it’s all done by one person. it’s absolutely incredible. highly recommended

I've been on a Skyrim binge lately. Been trying to get the last 3 trophies, which isn't possible right now because of glitches in the game and it probably require another play through.

I just got a new laptop that can run Hades so I've been doing some runs in that again. I love that game so much.

I have Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth on preload right now. Never played a Yakuza game but this new one looks incredible. I'll have to do a "what should you know before you playing" video today so I know what is going on. I mostly just want to do all the silly side activities and roam around Hawaii. Not enough games in Hawaii settings.

I started playing GTA5. I put off playing it for so long until I saw the GTA6 trailer and I was like "wait... I used to love these games" but the last one I played was San Andreas.

I've been having a lot of fun. One of my favorite things is just driving around in a really fast car and threading the needle. The driving reminds me of driving in Saudi, but with none of the actual danger.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
GTA reminds me I need to pick up the last Saints Row. Played every single one of them until the recent...remake? I know it got crap reviews, but I'm a sucker for Saints Row, such fun games. I wouldn't mind replaying Saints Row IV again, either.

GTA reminds me I need to pick up the last Saints Row. Played every single one of them until the recent...remake? I know it got crap reviews, but I'm a sucker for Saints Row, such fun games. I wouldn't mind replaying Saints Row IV again, either.
I've never gotten into Saints Row. Maybe I'll have to give them a try too!

I've heard the most recent Saints Row is terrible. I've never played the series so I don't know, but it keeps ending up on disappointing games lists.

GTA 5 should have been better than it was. It's a great game, but I feel like the lack of DLC stories like they did with the other games in the series hurt. They put much more into the online section so it feels like the world was never fully developed as it should have been.

I feel like I knew every nook of GTA 4 through their various stories, and it felt more lived in. GTA 5 had some really great moments, but the world didn't capture me like I hoped it would.

I've been on a Skyrim binge lately. Been trying to get the last 3 trophies, which isn't possible right now because of glitches in the game and it probably require another play through.
Which ones?
I started playing GTA5. I put off playing it for so long until I saw the GTA6 trailer and I was like "wait... I used to love these games" but the last one I played was San Andreas.
You NEVER played???? Wow!!! Dude, this game is fuckin awesome! You're going to have a trip! They only focused on the Online aspect after it came out, but I think the story mode is really well done. I just did another playthrough last year. Enjoy dude.
I've been having a lot of fun. One of my favorite things is just driving around in a really fast car and threading the needle.
I love doing this with Franklin. Very rewarding.

I feel like I knew every nook of GTA 4 through their various stories, and it felt more lived in.
plz don't talk about GTA4, I never played that either and the disc version I bought recently doesn't work on my PS3 ;_;
You NEVER played???? Wow!!! Dude, this game is fuckin awesome! You're going to have a trip! They only focused on the Online aspect after it came out, but I think the story mode is really well done. I just did another playthrough last year. Enjoy dude.
There's SO much to do in the game that it can be a bit overwhelming at times. I'm still getting used to the button mappings since there's really like 4 or 5 different context-sensitive control schemes. It's just a lot 😵

But yeah it's been hella fun so far.

Fire Queen

official GWF wolfmistress (sometimes) | she/they
GW Elder
i once described my experience with gta5 as like opening a fridge fully stocked with food and finding nothing appetizing but that was more a matter of taste. i was really getting jaded with sandbox times by the time i played it

that said i do adore the saints row series. i'm going to join the chorus of people saying that the most recent reboot of the series is not worth your time; they tried to make something that appealed to both old fans and new fans and ended up with something that didn't appeal to anyone. 4 is my fav SR but as someone who's played them all, it's really worth starting from the beginning to see how the series changes and grows over time, as well as the ways it's constantly in conversation with itself (and the rest of the gaming industry lol. there are some parts of SRIV specifically that are extremely dated)

also, how many other games let you be president with keith david as your vice president?

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
i once described my experience with gta5 as like opening a fridge fully stocked with food and finding nothing appetizing but that was more a matter of taste. i was really getting jaded with sandbox times by the time i played it

that said i do adore the saints row series. i'm going to join the chorus of people saying that the most recent reboot of the series is not worth your time; they tried to make something that appealed to both old fans and new fans and ended up with something that didn't appeal to anyone.
That's what I've heard a lot, and it's really disappointing to hear. I'm still curious, but I suppose cautious, too, as an SR fan.
4 is my fav SR but as someone who's played them all, it's really worth starting from the beginning to see how the series changes and grows over time, as well as the ways it's constantly in conversation with itself
That's true, it is impressive seeing just how far things have come, and how outrageous!
(and the rest of the gaming industry lol. there are some parts of SRIV specifically that are extremely dated)
Yeah, this is very, very true.
also, how many other games let you be president with keith david as your vice president?
Truth!
I've heard the most recent Saints Row is terrible. I've never played the series so I don't know, but it keeps ending up on disappointing games lists.
Sadly it seems to hold out as a disappointment, so it shouldn't be on most people's lists, sadly.

These three. Temple of Miraak is known to glitch and not trigger, but I should have gotten that seeing as I beat the Dragonborn storyline expansion. Can't do Land Baron because those glitched after I did the civil war campaign. As for Master Criminal I just haven't taken the time to do that one yet.

View attachment 8042
View attachment 8043
View attachment 8044
Dang that sucks that it's glitched and not your fault. :wallbash Master Criminal was always the last one I got (I played across a lot of console generations lol) but damn that Temple of Miraak one would really piss me off knowing I completed it fully.

Dang that sucks that it's glitched and not your fault. :wallbash Master Criminal was always the last one I got (I played across a lot of console generations lol) but damn that Temple of Miraak one would really piss me off knowing I completed it fully.
That's the only one I can get that is left. The other two I have no choice but to forsake unless I do another playthrough. My plan was to get all trophies and then use mods. Kind of disappointed that I can't do what I originally wanted.

I recently also started playing Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga via the GBA emulator on Switch. I've never played this game before, and it does have some unique moments, but it feels like a lot of the other 2D Mario RPG-type games (Paper Mario in particular). I think this will take me a while to beat because I'm not actively working on it, but just whenever I go somewhere and bring my Switch with me.
Second update - I'm still playing this game, but I've got a huge bone to pick with it.

It's a turn-based RPG. I will admit that I'm not fighting every single enemy for experience, but from what I can tell, I'm not underleveled at all. Literally every boss I've fought, I do 1-2 points damage. I looked up guides and videos of other people beating these bosses and I'm using the optimal attack, but others seem to do more damage. I've literally been fighting the same boss for over an hour right now, but I'm not sure what else to do except keep plugging away. He has 400 HP (although the game doesn't show you what his current HP is), so I'm in for a slog.

You can apply badges to Mario and Luigi to make them stronger, and I've actually done that, but upon looking up a guide, it seems like there are better (harder to find) badges. After this fight, I'm going to track down the best badges I can because I'm clearly doing something wrong.

Joseph Snapple

You don't know how to treat the Crypt Keeper!
GW Elder
I started Armored Core 6 over the weekend. I love it but I also hate it because I have a broke brain that doesn't want to exit out of a mission to adjust a build and will instead keep hammering the restart from checkpoint button until I execute however I need to in order to win with that I'm using.

that doesn't want to exit out of a mission to adjust a build
One of my bigger complaints with the game, honestly.

If you grind a decent amount of cash by, like, redoing the Test Pilot AC mission (~$55,000 IIRC) and buy a variety of weaponry and parts, then the game flows much better. Die, slightly adjust build in the menu based on needs, resume. But before you have a stockpile of money (and/or parts) you have to exit the mission entirely, sell off parts at a 1:1 valuation, buy different parts at a 1:1 valuation, re-enter mission, redo up to that point you died, then experiment more. Just an added step that really doesn't need to be there, especially since the distinction between "AC Mission" and "Souls-like Boss" leads to wanting very different approaches (at first) for different sections.

I whined about the game a lot last year. :chuckle

• I Always Feel Like...
Reactions: TD

Joseph Snapple

GW Elder
One of my bigger complaints with the game, honestly.

If you grind a decent amount of cash by, like, redoing the Test Pilot AC mission (~$55,000 IIRC) and buy a variety of weaponry and parts, then the game flows much better. Die, slightly adjust build in the menu based on needs, resume. But before you have a stockpile of money (and/or parts) you have to exit the mission entirely, sell off parts at a 1:1 valuation, buy different parts at a 1:1 valuation, re-enter mission, redo up to that point you died, then experiment more. Just an added step that really doesn't need to be there, especially since the distinction between "AC Mission" and "Souls-like Boss" leads to wanting very different approaches (at first) for different sections.

I whined about the game a lot last year. :chuckle

This is basically the problem I ran into against the smart cleaner lol. Like I knew exactly what I need to adjust to (vertical launchers and tetras for hovering above the smokestack) but...I didn't own any of that when I went in to the mission, so I just threw myself at it for over an hour before finally forcing myself to just quit out

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I've been working through the FF Pixel Remastered, the updated pixels and music honestly adds such a new level of detail that didn't exist and certain graphics have a lot more clarity to what they are now.

I'm 40 minutes into FFIV and I'm very impressed.

certain graphics have a lot more clarity
So much for everyone's favorite game, then! 👀

GZdcUs3.jpeg

Or more accurately...

flQyV.png

I mentioned this in another thread but I picked up The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered. Yesterday I finished another play through of the game, but I wanted to talk about the new game mode, No Return, which I just started this morning.

It's a rogue-like survival mode. There are ~10 characters you can play as, each with slightly different play styles. The levels are randomized and feature fights and other objectives against various different enemy factions. There are mods and upgrades throughout, and then a boss at the end. All of this can be customized as you unlock different things.

This game mode has nearly endless replayability IMO (even though I've probably only spent a couple of hours on it). It would really benefit from either split screen or online co-op, but it's still very fun individually. Everything I've described is probably quite standard for games in the genre, but what I really like about it is that they've taken a very streamlined single-player experience and made it into a totally different genre. Usually games with such great stories don't have this sort of content (at least, the ones I've played). It's similar to the DLC for God of War Ragnarok, but this is much more customizable.

Highly recommended if you're a fan of the series.

Joseph Snapple

GW Elder
I moved on to Lies of P after finishing up one run of AC6 and man, what a great game. Treading likely well-worn ground here but probably the most Souls-like Souls-like I've ever played and such a good overall mix between Bloodborne and Sekiro.

That said I keep trying to play this as aggressively as I did Sekiro and the smaller parry window keeps screwing me lol

I've started playing the DLC for Immortals Fenyx Rising. I finished with this game awhile ago but jumped back in when I got the DLC. Fortunately, it's easy to do because there are 3 DLC packs and they all launch separately from the main game.

The first one was honestly a bit frustrating. The entire thing was puzzles. I don't mind some of the puzzles in this game, but the ones where you have to carry blocks or balls are just exhausting. By the end, I was using a guide because this was about 12 straight hours of puzzles.

The second one was by far the best. It was essentially like a new campaign with a new character on a new map. There were still puzzle elements but they were much more balanced than either the first DLC or the main game. From start to finish, this only lasted 4 hours, so even though I wasn't too invested in the story, I would have preferred if this was the longest DLC.

I just started the third one and, so far, I really don't like it. It essentially turns the game into a 2.5D game, and when you come straight from playing the regular 3D game, it's extremely jarring. It just feels like the character doesn't control properly. I'm not very far along yet, but my understanding is that this one is about 12 hours as well, and I have a feeling it will be a slog.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Finally got part of my crew together to mess around with some Helldivers II last night.

Oh man, this is a fun time. Normally I'm not a fan of shooters with friendly fire but after about the third time I got carpet bombed by a buddy "on accident", I could not stop laughing.

You know those scenes in Terminator where you see glimpses of the war between Man and Machine? That's basically what we did all night, except Skynet decided to put chainsaws on the robot's hands cause it's fuckin baller.

Robot Vietnam is a good ass game.

I've started playing the DLC for Immortals Fenyx Rising. I finished with this game awhile ago but jumped back in when I got the DLC. Fortunately, it's easy to do because there are 3 DLC packs and they all launch separately from the main game.
This game's been vaguely on my radar for a while now, and actually got a copy for real cheap (like $7) last year. The DLC here sounds like hell though. 12 hours of puzzles in something besides a dedicated puzzle game doesn't sound like a great time, no sirree.

Back
Top Bottom