• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Very Important Text-Based D&D discussion

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
1703803322420.png

@Lee The one thing I think I've noticed is that the alert window went back to being whack. I don't know if this was related to my turning off push notifications for Firefox as those two happened simultaneously, but previously it had the little dot for the Read/Unread and didn't try to blind me on new unread ones...

Tuberius of Wadawurrung

CFO of Shitposting, Head of Data & Insights
View attachment 5413

@Lee The one thing I think I've noticed is that the alert window went back to being whack. I don't know if this was related to my turning off push notifications for Firefox as those two happened simultaneously, but previously it had the little dot for the Read/Unread and didn't try to blind me on new unread ones...
@Ben not just you I noted it in the error thread going

• Crikey!
Reactions: Ben

Testing

That sounds better than a code monkey
GIF by Keren Codemonkey

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
Noob question alert:

"Gorgug rolls a d20. He rolls an 11. Gorgug has a STR rating of 14, therefore he has a Strength modifier of +2. His STR Check result is 13, and that's what he tells the DM he rolled."

Where did the +2 come from? The 13? I'm very confused by the numbers here.

Noob question alert:

"Gorgug rolls a d20. He rolls an 11. Gorgug has a STR rating of 14, therefore he has a Strength modifier of +2. His STR Check result is 13, and that's what he tells the DM he rolled."

I just read something where it might be your ability score minus 10 divided by 2 (and then presumably rounded up).

Let me know if I found the right information. It was the first reddit post I found in a super quick search.

Reactions: TD
The modifiers come from you score minus 10 divided by 2 rounded down. The DnD beyond is nice enoigh to do the math for you.

I always give the math. I'll say I rolled a 14 with a plus 2 modifier so 16 total. The reason I do this is to show any natural 20s or 1s. Say you roll a 20 you still add the plus 2 but a lot of DMs do special things for a natural 20s and 1s. You can still get a 20 by rolling an 18 plus a 2, but its not a natural 20. So not as special.

TD

That helps - thank you!

My WIS is only 6.
Is that terrible for a Tortle Bard or do I not need WIS?

VashTheStampede

Jawneh is possibly The Sorcerer
Noob question alert:

Yeah, modifiers is something I'm still planning on plugging into the thread. But Alu and Christina are accurate with their takes.

So if you are trying to play your Bard's personality by using their states, your bard has next to no Street Smarts. Intelligence would be Book Smarts. If you have neither of these, at least you are very likable!

• Haha

TD

As a Tortle who is just interested in playing music for everyone - I'll take it!

Oh and just for anybody in general Constitution should never be your dumper stat. I mean you can if you want to, but constitution is what determs how much HP points you get. When you level up, you are going to roll your hit dice and add your constitution modifier to determ how many more hit points you get. Some DMs will let you reroll a 1 because that sucks super lots. So having a negative constitution modifier would be super bad.

TD

I read something that as a Tortle I can dump Dex and rely on my shell. Is this a real thing?

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
Christina already nailed the explanation, but just in case it helps:

In Dungeons & Dragons (D&D), stat modifiers are derived from ability scores, which are fundamental to a character's capabilities. These scores typically range from 3 to 18 and are assigned to six main abilities: Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma. The stat modifier is a number that represents how much an ability score affects game play.

### Calculation of Stat Modifiers:
1. **Formula**: The standard formula to calculate a stat modifier is to subtract 10 from the ability score, and then divide the result by 2, rounding down. 1000003942.jpg

2. **Examples**: - If a character has a Strength score of 15, the modifier would be ((15-10)/2) = 2.5, which rounds down to +2. - For a score of 8, the modifier is ((8-10)/2) = -1.
### Usage of Stat Modifiers: -

**Skill Checks**: When a character attempts an action like climbing a wall or recalling a piece of lore, they make a skill check using the appropriate ability modifier. For example, a Dexterity check might be required for stealth. -

**Attack Rolls and Damage**: In combat, modifiers affect attack rolls (chance to hit) and sometimes damage rolls. For instance, a character's Strength modifier would be added to an attack roll with a melee weapon. -

**Saving Throws**: These are rolls made to resist or reduce the effects of spells, traps, poisons, etc. Each saving throw uses an ability modifier relevant to the effect being resisted. -

**Other Calculations**: Modifiers can also influence various other aspects of the game, like initiative rolls (Dexterity modifier) or the number of spells a character can prepare (Intelligence or Wisdom modifier for wizards and clerics, respectively).
In summary, stat modifiers are crucial in translating a character's raw potential (ability scores) into practical effects in the game, influencing everything from social interactions to combat outcomes.

Magni Kragtail

Smart fella by day, fart smella by night
Another thing that's probably going to confuse people (because it definitely did for me the one session I played) is proficiency bonuses and when to apply them. If your numbers aren't adding up that might be the reason.

TD

There's still stuff in Beyond I don't get (like what proficiencies to even choose) so I sure hope they handle the rolling and math.

If you are meaning these type of proficiencies. These you pick whatever you feel will match with your character. What these are used for is say you want to try and pet a cat. The DM could ask you for an animal handling check to see if the cat lets you pet it or it straches your face. You could want to jump off a building. You'll get asked for athletics or acrobatics. You could get asked for a history check to see if your character knows some piece of information. Perception check to see what you notice in a room. So choose what you think fits best. No wrong answers.
1000001104.jpg

TD

That's exactly what I was referring to and I'm happy to hear no right or wrong, that helps.

This is always where you could make an argument for your type of check. In how you phrase your usage. Intimidation vs. Persuasion for example. If you grab the hilt of your sword while trying to talk a guard into letting you in a room, that would be intimidating but if you have your hand on your money pouch, that's persuasion.

Knowing languages is just like knowing languages in real life. Say you run into infernals talking, the DM will ask if anybody knows infernal if yes that person will be told what they are saying. If nobody knows, then you don't get to know what they said. The languages also work for written word too.

Magni Kragtail

Smart fella by day, fart smella by night
Oh yeah speaking of risky party members, might wanna read your spells carefully. Some affect creatures you choose. Others affect all creatures in range, which includes your friends. And we are VERY fragile at level 1.

• Seen
Back
Top Bottom