Very Important Text-Based D&D discussion

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Has anyone had any experience with a Text Based version of Dungeons & Dragons?

I know it used to be more of a thing back in the old AOL/IRC days.

In an effort to think of something that would be more cooperative and collaborative than constantly murdering and emotionally manipulating our friends I thought maybe it could be fun and healthy to murder imaginary creatures.

The Positives:
1. YAY D&D
2. I get some use out of all these source books laying around my house
3. No meet-up times for half the table to cancel on. Post when you can!

The Challenges:
1. Tracking character sheets in a forum setting without 3rd party apps
2. Rolling fucking dice

3. People not having Player's Handbooks
4. More to come I'm sure

Last edited:

In an effort to think of something that would be more cooperative and collaborative than constantly murdering and emotionally manipulating our friends I thought maybe it could be fun and healthy to murder imaginary creatures.
Never played D&D before, but I’m down for it

Lok Ahl

*I put on my robe and wizard hat*

Zesty Zapcrackle

Shitposting Development Manager
I have not played D&D outside of real life in person and not since I was like... 14 :(

Played a bit of Shadowrun recently though.

I ould be down for most games. But I humbly request a signup or to be tagged because I WILL miss it otherwise.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Making a thread to further gauge interest in a text-based D&D campaign/subforum.

Also to brainstorm possible challenges and solutions.

I've run a couple games in the past but not in a text-only situation, but I'd be willing to give it a go.

The Positives:
1. YAY D&D
2. I get some use out of all these source books laying around my house
3. No meet-up times for half the table to cancel on. Post when you can!

The Challenges:
1. Tracking character sheets in a forum setting without 3rd party apps
2. Rolling fucking dice
3. More to come I'm sure

Last edited:
200.gif

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
Back on old GW, marasamune ran a campaign that worked pretty well, though I don't think it was ever concluded. We got through one adventure, then I think it fell off. I don't really know what he'd specifically done to prep for it but I'm pretty sure he'd shared folders and folders of stuff.

It worked well though and the lack of a real-time expectation of actions lifts some of the pressure but leads to better roleplay/actions. There'd still probably have to be some limit on how long someone can take to act on their priority, but as long as everyone's semi-active and they're not MIA for 12/24 hours making everyone else wait, it should work.

I'd definitely love to play _this_ kind of FOG more than the "emotionally wound your friends" kind of FOG.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Back on old GW, marasamune ran a campaign that worked pretty well, though I don't think it was ever concluded. We got through one adventure, then I think it fell off. I don't really know what he'd specifically done to prep for it but I'm pretty sure he'd shared folders and folders of stuff.

It worked well though and the lack of a real-time expectation of actions lifts some of the pressure but leads to better roleplay/actions. There'd still probably have to be some limit on how long someone can take to act on their priority, but as long as everyone's semi-active and they're not MIA for 12/24 hours making everyone else wait, it should work.

I'd definitely love to play _this_ kind of FOG more than the "emotionally wound your friends" kind of FOG.

These are the FOG’s I’m more familiar with, honestly. Though I never participated in the D&D stuff, it kinda throws back to the days of those niche forums like GWC/N/W, Egg Pets, and the various RP/RPG type forums that existed back in the prime of that category. I’m sure y’all remember when it was one of the busiest categories.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
So... You're saying we need to make our own font..?

I’m saying that I like where the idea of this is going, it opens the door for something a bit more on-going and larger scale than the standard 3-5 day cycle of a wolf game. If that necessitates fonts or graphics or badges or whatever… I’m SURE the collective group of us fools can come up with some stuff to make it cool. But you already knew that… because you went for probably one of the cleverest examples of how FOG was utilized back then.

• They’re Right, You Know?
Reactions: Ben

Dragmire

Can't wait for someone to have to deal with me going Warlock, picking Pact of the Chain Familiar, and sending an invisible flying Imp literally anywhere and everywhere stealing literally anything worth stealing.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
It might be a bit much but I also think maybe having its own forum instead of a subforum might be best.

Main forum for campaigns. Sub-forum for people to track their character sheets/inventories in their own thread. Then we can link to everyone's Character Thread in the first post of each Campaign Thread for easy reference.

• They’re Right, You Know?
Reactions: Jon

Dragmire

It might be a bit much but I also think maybe having its own forum instead of a subforum might be best.

Main forum for campaigns. Sub-forum for people to track their character sheets/inventories in their own thread. Then we can link to everyone's Character Thread in the first post of each Campaign Thread for easy reference.
We could also have an informational sticky with character sheet templates, a PHB .pdf, and maybe like something with magical items or something

Instead of a dead thread you have The Living Thread.

• Haha
Reactions: Jon

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor

I can get started on setting this up if we have a name for the forums to start with. All we’d need beyond that is a description, which is optional, and whoever is gonna mod it full-time.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
I can get started on setting this up if we have a name for the forums to start with. All we’d need beyond that is a description, which is optional, and whoever is gonna mod it full-time.
I'd say hold off on making the forum until we get things a bit more fleshed out here and in my head.

I would absolutely be cool with modding the eventual forum if that is something y'all are okay with.

Back
Top Bottom