• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Very Important Text-Based D&D discussion

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
Unrelated note: I love how we just create badges and reactions on a whim. Can't wait to see what silly stuff comes out of this.

Cookies! Thanks!
Baking Merry Christmas GIF by Acorn TV

• Wanna Cookie?
Reactions: TD

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
Alright, I need you folks to help me test the encounter system on DnDBeyond. I started an easy AF one with all the characters in that Dummy Campaign.

I'm assuming it'll ask you to roll for initiative before anything else, to put you in the order you'll go. If NOT there was an option to auto-roll the initiative so I guess I'd need to use that, or just have you roll on the forums and then manually enter it. But, see what it lets you do when you go into it now.

I have no idea if it'll just pop up in the campaign as is, or if I had to link to it somehow... 🤔

1703974960189.png

Also if any of you can screen-cap what you see on your end, that'll give me a better idea.

TD

I tapped Initiative on my character screen and it rolled a 5.

Did it do anything?

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
I tapped Initiative on my character screen and it rolled a 5.

Did it do anything?

Yeah, I can see your rolls coming through on my end. I think where I was expecting the rolls to automatically populate into the initiative order, it's more of a "I ask you to roll for initiative, then I plug it into the encounter UI" type thing. So you're doing everything from your characters sheet, rolling what's required in the moment, and there's not really a visible UI for the PARTY to see.

I don't know if it being on "your turn" changes anything, and if other people rolling dice in the meantime also comes through when it's not their initiative turn. I'd guess so.

Anyway, assuming your roll before that was an attack roll to see if you hit (a nat-20 would), give me a roll for damage and I'll see where it goes from here.

1703976408671.png

TD

Yeah, I can see your rolls coming through on my end. I think where I was expecting the rolls to automatically populate into the initiative order, it's more of a "I ask you to roll for initiative, then I plug it into the encounter UI" type thing. So you're doing everything from your characters sheet, rolling what's required in the moment, and there's not really a visible UI for the PARTY to see.

I don't know if it being on "your turn" changes anything, and if other people rolling dice in the meantime also comes through when it's not their initiative turn. I'd guess so.

Anyway, assuming your roll before that was an attack roll to see if you hit (a nat-20 would), give me a roll for damage and I'll see where it goes from here.

View attachment 5487
I see nothing relating to that Encounter screen that you shared earlier if that helps.

What do I do to roll for damage?

I'm a super DnD noob.

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
I see nothing relating to that Encounter screen that you shared earlier if that helps.

What do I do to roll for damage?

I'm a super DnD noob.
Yeah, I believe so. You rolled a custom die before with that d20, but I think in general if you're attacking you'd hit the "Hit/DC" one to see whether you landed your attack, then you'll hit the Damage to see what you deal.

So if you hit damage on one of your weapons, I should see that come through.

1703977402349.png

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
You sure did!

1703977580108.png

So it does seem to be all more or less manual for the running of the games, basically like the pencil & paper version. In an actual encounter I'd have to ask you who you're targetting, etc. but then I just add any damage you deal to the enemies and move it along to the next person in initiative order.

But you killed one of those dudes with your mom's phone number though, so good job!

1703977620477.png

Since I've seen all the other rolls coming through, I'm guessing it doesn't stop you rolling anything even if it's not your turn. It's sitting on Local right now, so if you can still roll things and I see them come through, I'll know to just work around that.

I'm also trying to work out if the dice plugin we have installed on the forum would work in practice, or if just using the stuff off the character sheet is the easiest way to go. I'm thinking the latter, since it does all the math automatically.

EDIT; I can also manually move to the next turn if someone doesn't respond, say within X time, so we can just agree on what's reasonable to expect someone to be able to get back to the campaign thread and take their action, otherwise they're assumed asleep and skipped.

1703977944881.png

Doesn't really seem to give me a good way to end the encounters, but this whole thing is still in beta, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. :shrug

• Cheers!

TD

But you killed one of those dudes with your mom's phone number though, so good job!
I was so confused until I read the encounter again.
:chuckle

It's too bad I can't see the encounter.

I guess most stuff will be handled through here but then the actual dice rolling will be done on Beyond then?

Is that what we're thinking?

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
I am trying to work out whether the dice rolling on the site will work, that'd just require more attention paid to adding the correct modifiers, etc. I'm not 100% confident that it IS adding it all together though.

TD

OH I see it in the below.

If I had to guess and someone with actual DnD knowledge can correct me..

Two weapon is likely the equivalent of a passive ongoing buff and I'm guessing Sneak Attack doesn't need a hit roll and goes right to damage (maybe at the sacrifice of some damage)?

Back
Top Bottom