• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Very Important Text-Based D&D discussion

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
Nah, just playing around with it, and decided to use a monster that's not actually going to be in the campaign (unless...)
THAT'S SOMETHING WE MIGHT HAVE TO FIGHT!?

homer simpson running GIF

TD

Everyone was like, we need a Tortle, it's so dumb it'll be funny.

Joke's on everyone else when our boat gets capsized by that thing.

TD

So random question, is everyone going to be doing the same campaign? Are there party size limits? ...other things of that nature?

Am I getting too ahead of myself?

So random question, is everyone going to be doing the same campaign? Are there party size limits? ...other things of that nature?

We have too many for a single campaign, but probably the right amount for 2. But that would require 2 DMs or Vash to be fed too many of @Christina 's cookies and constantly on a sugar high running both.

• Wanna Cookie?
Reactions: TD

TD

It's weird that the Internet seems behind on the whole D20 rolling thing. I distinctly remember rolling dice using AIM chatrooms back in the day.
I'm not gonna lie, I'm not sure what D20 is. Is it literally just a 20 sided dice numbered 1-20?
We have too many for a single campaign, but probably the right amount for 2. But that would require 2 DMs or Vash to be fed too many of @Christina 's cookies and constantly on a sugar high running both.
I mean, more cookies sounds like a WIN for Vash. Does this mean there's way more interest than they expected?

That's pretty fucking cool if so.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm not sure what D20 is. Is it literally just a 20 sided dice numbered 1-20?

I mean, more cookies sounds like a WIN for Vash. Does this mean there's way more interest than they expected?

Yeah a d20 is a 20 sided die.

And I think we're somewhere close to 10 people who have expressed some interest? I don't know for sure, but I think most campaigns are for like 4-6 people.

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian

They're usually geared for 4-5 players. So yes, they'll be split up when we've actually got all the kinks worked out.

I'd say I'll be running one that's more "baby's first D&D", that's probably going to be better for newer players just as it'll be easier for me being new to DMing.

Vash is more seasoned, like a steak, so he'll probably have a more coherent grasp on his game from the get go and might be better for the seasoned D&D players, so it doesn't get trivial/boring.

Yes. d20 = 20 sided dice. It's generally the "logo" of D&D.

200.gif

• Cheers!

TD

They're usually geared for 4-5 players. So yes, they'll be split up when we've actually got all the kinks worked out.

I'd say I'll be running one that's more "baby's first D&D", that's probably going to be better for newer players just as it'll be easier for me being new to DMing.

Vash is more seasoned, like a steak, so he'll probably have a more coherent grasp on his game from the get go and might be better for the seasoned D&D players, so it doesn't get trivial/boring.
Neat-o.

I've actually gotten pretty excited to give this a whirl. Even coming up with these characters and trying to figure out a new game with all kinds of complexities and nuance has been awesome.

Baby's first D&D..

200.gif

although I played an "Idle" D&D game, not quite sure that appears to qualify though

Seriously it's going to be nice. I played once in fifth grade for about an hour. My friend's older brother wanted to test out being a DM.

I never got into it after that, but it seems like a great way to express creative writing while also spending time with friends.

• Agree

VashTheStampede

Jawneh is possibly The Sorcerer

I personally prefer 4-5 person parties. 6 is okay but encounter balancing gets tougher for me.

As far as campaign variety, between Ben and I we've got several different campaigns to play around with, so it's not immediately necessary to run the same one. plus I've been working on my own game world and campaign here and there for a year or so and this might be a chance to finally give it a go

BUT in talking with Christina about things, I've come to kinda like the idea of also running the same campaign with different groups and/or DMs just for the fun of seeing how completely differently they can go, even if they're relatively straight-forward ones. I think that would be up to the community at large to decide though.

VashTheStampede

Jawneh is possibly The Sorcerer
Also things have slowed down pretty harshly on the preparation front on my side of things due to Christmas and inventory week at work (always a bit of a strain on me physically and mentally) but that's all behind me now so I should be back at it 100% over next couple days.

Also things have slowed down pretty harshly on the preparation front on my side of things due to Christmas and inventory week at work (always a bit of a strain on me physically and mentally) but that's all behind me now so I should be back at it 100% over next couple days.
Take your time. We understand you have stuff to do and we’re willing to wait

ill just wait misha collins GIF

TD

As far as campaign variety, between Ben and I we've got several different campaigns to play around with, so it's not immediately necessary to run the same one. plus I've been working on my own game world and campaign here and there for a year or so and this might be a chance to finally give it a go
If your writing and hosting is going to be anything like your Mafia games - personally, I'm fucking pumped.
BUT in talking with Christina about things, I've come to kinda like the idea of also running the same campaign with different groups and/or DMs just for the fun of seeing how completely differently they can go, even if they're relatively straight-forward ones. I think that would be up to the community at large to decide though.
This sounds super interesting to me and I think it answers one of the things I've been wondering. I imagine there's no one way to tackle a campaign and a lot depends on party composition and the tools each party member has, so I'm excited to see that play out too.

• They’re Right, You Know?
Reactions: Jon

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
How do I do the avatar thing?
The instructions I'd dropped got lost in the thread, so I just copied that post out and stuck it in here.

I'll expand it to cover all of the fields, but for now this explains how to attach the character image.

TD

What I read and will act upon accordingly:

A chaotic good character acts as his conscience directs him with little regard for what others expect of him. He makes his own way, but he's kind and benevolent. He believes in goodness and right but has little use for laws and regulations. He hates it when people try to intimidate others and tell them what to do. He follows his own moral compass, which, although good, may not agree with that of society.

TD

I've seen "AC" tossed around a ton in various DnD things.

Can someone ELI5 what AC is?

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
I've seen "AC" tossed around a ton in various DnD things.

Can someone ELI5 what AC is?
Armor Class. Basically how difficult it is to hit someone/something. It's what you're trying to roll higher than with your attack rolls (not damage rolls).

There's similarly "DC", which is Difficulty Class, and what you're trying to roll higher than to accomplish climbing a difficult wall, or not falling off a bridge, etc.

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
I'll stick this in another post somewhere, but this might help;
Here's a glossary of some commonly used terms in D&D:

1. **Ability Scores**: The six basic attributes of a character, which are Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma.

2. **AC (Armor Class)**: A measure of how difficult it is to hit a character with a physical attack. A higher AC means the character is harder to hit.

3. **Advantage/Disadvantage**: A mechanic where a player rolls two d20s and takes the higher (advantage) or lower (disadvantage) result, usually due to some in-game condition or effect.

4. **Alignment**: A character's moral and ethical orientation, with axes of Good vs. Evil and Lawful vs. Chaotic.

5. **Campaign**: A series of gaming sessions in D&D that forms a larger storyline.

6. **Character Sheet**: A record of all the information about a player's character, including abilities, equipment, experience points, and backstory.

7. **Critical Hit (Crit)**: An attack roll that hits an opponent and deals extra damage, usually occurring on a natural roll of 20.

8. **D20**: A twenty-sided die, which is the most commonly used die in D&D.

9. **DM (Dungeon Master)**: The game organizer and narrator who sets the stage for the adventure and controls its progression.

10. **Encounter**: A situation where players face a challenge, which could be a combat scenario, a puzzle, or a social interaction.

11. **Experience Points (XP)**: Points awarded for overcoming challenges or completing tasks, which accumulate to allow a character to level up.

12. **Hit Points (HP)**: A numerical representation of how much damage a character can take before becoming unconscious or dying.

13. **Initiative**: A roll at the start of combat to determine the order in which characters act.

14. **Level**: A measure of a character's power and skill, which increases through gaining experience points.

15. **NPC (Non-Player Character)**: Characters in the game world controlled by the Dungeon Master.

16. **PC (Player Character)**: The characters controlled by the players.

17. **Saving Throw**: A roll to resist or reduce the effects of spells, poisons, traps, and other hazards.

18. **Spell Save DC**: The difficulty class for saving throws against a character's spells, representing how hard the spells are to resist.

19. **Turn**: In combat, a specific segment of time in which a character can perform actions.

20. **DC**: stands for "Difficulty Class." It is a numerical value that represents the difficulty of a particular task, action, or saving throw.

TD

Armor Class. Basically how difficult it is to hit someone/something. It's what you're trying to roll higher than with your attack rolls (not damage rolls).

There's similarly "DC", which is Difficulty Class, and what you're trying to roll higher than to accomplish climbing a difficult wall, or not falling off a bridge, etc.
So it looks like I have a good AC. So I'll be hard to hit? Will it be easier to hit others? Both? One of?

Sorry for all the questions. Especially if they're basic.

I'm starting to get pretty into this and I want to understanding.

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
Can we add this to a pinned post somewhere or something?

Got it.

Back
Top Bottom