Very Important Text-Based D&D discussion

Zesty Zapcrackle

Shitposting Development Manager
Already downloaded the images that interest you?
Winona Ryder Movie GIF by filmeditor

Tortle Dude

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
Reading this thread now after the sexcapades is like the equivalent of sobering up.

It's probably for the best but it was lots of fun.

Nac McWeeble

Incense & Iron
So, a little question. My experience with TTRPGs mainly comes from Pathfinder 2e, except for a tiny foray in DnD when I was like 12-13. What are the biggest differences between DnD and PF? From what I could find there aren't that many apart from being able to customize a bit more in PF.

DnD-wise I'm a bit of a noob, but if the differences aren't that big I'd count myself as a bit experienced at least. :D

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
My only real experience with Pathfinder is watching a bit of a streamed campaign that used it, but from what I can tell it's very similar to D&D 5e...which makes sense because I think Pathfinder was basically spun off from D&D 3.5e and 5e was almost like a return to 3.5e but with more customization and stripped down rules.

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
So, a little question. My experience with TTRPGs mainly comes from Pathfinder 2e, except for a tiny foray in DnD when I was like 12-13. What are the biggest differences between DnD and PF? From what I could find there aren't that many apart from being able to customize a bit more in PF.

DnD-wise I'm a bit of a noob, but if the differences aren't that big I'd count myself as a bit experienced at least. :D
As I understand, Pathfinder has more granular character progression and a lot more rules than D&D 5e, which attempted to streamline a lot of that stuff. They're more or less comparable though in how they'd play and work. Pathfinder was my first attempt at DMing something and it was horrid trying to work out all the rules, but D&D 5e hasn't caused me to feel nearly as much like I'm studying for an exam.

Something to also keep a look out on is that wizards of the coast is working on and planning to release One D&D aka 6th edition. The plan is for the release sometime this year for D&D's 50th anniversary.

From what they are saying it is supposed to be a rules update but is still supposed to work with 5e materials. This is going to mean updates with in the D&D Beyond app. They are having a new Digital D&D but that program kind of goes against what we are trying to do by having the game here at GW.

There some info like them getting rid of calling it Race and going to Species instead. Using a deeper background system to give your character traits rather than their Race. From what I can gather they may still be somewhat work shopping things.

There is a feeling of trepidation right now in the community because of what wizards has done with Magic the Gathering since the Hasbro merger.

My thoughts on what I've heard so far about it, is it that their goal is making changes to make playing digitally easier to be able to expand how many people play and buy materials. More so buy digital materials. Even if playing at home, using your phone and tablets to have all your materials. This could be really good for what we are doing but might suck for people who like the physical part of the game like rolling real dice. At the end of the day though, they can't take away what was already made. You can go back and play 1st edition if you want, the information to do is out there. The biggest thing they have to sell is a digital platform so I'm not surprised at the direction it seems to be going.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Crap, I think it's using my character colour in quotes. Well, close enough...

@Lee, is that something that can be fixed? Please say no if it's a burden, I don't want to overload you

• Seen
Reactions: TD

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
There was a bit of interest when I had the idea but honestly, I think it was Ben's pictures that got the interest levelled up to full-on fervor.

Having actual visuals in a game of make believe is huge, especially for us old folks who's imaginations aren't necessarily what they used to be. And when its your actual character, that creates legitimate investment.

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
There was a bit of interest when I had the idea but honestly, I think it was Ben's pictures that got the interest levelled up to full-on fervor.

Having actual visuals in a game of make believe is huge, especially for us old folks who's imaginations aren't necessarily what they used to be. And when its your actual character, that creates legitimate investment.
Word. I'm trying to get the bandwidth to catch up on your threads and get a read on the descriptions of all the characters, and have plans to try to drop some in your thread where possible.

I'm definitely trying to make these fuckers feel like comrades.
everyone.png

Crystal

Formerly Apollo

The dream team, you both took this and ran with it and look where we are today :)

Just takes a spark of an idea to launch something awesome!
Word. I'm trying to get the bandwidth to catch up on your threads and get a read on the descriptions of all the characters, and have plans to try to drop some in your thread where possible.

I'm definitely trying to make these fuckers feel like comrades.
View attachment 7722
Every single pic is a masterpiece:D
And you're making one damn good job at it!
Agreed!

• Agree
Reactions: TD
Back
Top Bottom