• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Very Important Text-Based D&D discussion

Tuberius of Wadawurrung

CFO of Shitposting, Head of Data & Insights
Food Spice GIF by Rhett and Link

• Meeeoww
Reactions: TD

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF

Magni Kragtail

Smart fella by day, fart smella by night
I'm guessing the practice encounter thing ended already? I was able roll initiative and see other people's rolls in the Game Log but unless I need to launch campaign or something it's not showing up under my encounters. I've never used D&DBeyond for anything but character sheets and game rules before, though, so maybe I'm missing something.

1703987471536.png

TD

I'm guessing the practice encounter thing ended already? I was able roll initiative and see other people's rolls in the Game Log but unless I need to launch campaign or something it's not showing up under my encounters. I've never used D&DBeyond for anything but character sheets and game rules before, though, so maybe I'm missing something.

View attachment 5506
Where did you go to find your encounters?

I haven't even seen that screen.

Magni Kragtail

I always thought the Encounter Builder on D&DB was mainly just a DM tool to test things out beforehand, but it looks like you guys were actually attacking things?

TD

I always thought the Encounter Builder on D&DB was mainly just a DM tool to test things out beforehand, but it looks like you guys were actually attacking things?
Ben seemed to have a view and we were trying to see if there was any sort of automation but with it not showing in my encounters, I'm suspecting we may have tested it incorrectly.

Magni Kragtail

Found this tutorial on how to use the thing. And scanning through the comments there was this:
1703990273850.png
Might be the reason things seem wonky?

Also, maybe we need like a link to the encounter or something? I don't know.

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
Found this tutorial on how to use the thing. And scanning through the comments there was this:
View attachment 5509
Might be the reason things seem wonky?

Also, maybe we need like a link to the encounter or something? I don't know.
This was the conclusion I'd come to, that it was a DM-facing thing and the orchestration was still done thought discussion. I don't think there's any UI for the player, and I believe only encounters that you yourself make show up under that "My Encounters" section.

TD and others that were helping test it earlier weren't actually attacking anything as far as they could see. They were just rolling from their character sheet, and the one test I did with TD I'd manually applied damage to one of the enemies set up in that encounter. I'd say similarly if a player character takes damage, I'm just going to tell you "you take X points of damage" and you'll have to adjust that on your character sheet yourself. I would then I believe see the adjusted HP value on my encounter screen so it's easier to track everything, but as a player you're still really just interacting with the character sheet and otherwise the "action" will be done on the forum.

I'll put together a tutorial of sorts once I've got things straightened out in my head, including which buttons to click when.

There's also a Map feature that's in Alpha, and definitely buggy. I'm trying to decide whether I want to leverage this or just put maps together myself and drop them into the thread as needed. Some visual indicator of your surrounding area and who is where will probably help all involved, but I want to make sure you're not going to see more of the maps than you should as a player, and so on.

As far as my testing of the forum-side dice rolling, it doesn't seem like the bonus/difficulty modifiers really work like they're supposed to. As far as I can tell it'd require people still add their bonus modifiers onto the rolls manually, and that's just going to make it harder than it would be if we use the rolls on DnDBeyond.

Magni Kragtail

There's also a Map feature that's in Alpha, and definitely buggy. I'm trying to decide whether I want to leverage this or just put maps together myself and drop them into the thread as needed. Some visual indicator of your surrounding area and who is where will probably help all involved, but I want to make sure you're not going to see more of the maps than you should as a player, and so on.
If that doesn't work, Inkarnate is a pretty nice tool for map-making I found in the past. Also Roll20 if you want something people could join and move their characters around on. It has ways to hide stuff on it. Of course both have way more premium than free features, but still.

TD

TD and others that were helping test it earlier weren't actually attacking anything as far as they could see. They were just rolling from their character sheet, and the one test I did with TD I'd manually applied damage to one of the enemies set up in that encounter. I'd say similarly if a player character takes damage, I'm just going to tell you "you take X points of damage" and you'll have to adjust that on your character sheet yourself. I would then I believe see the adjusted HP value on my encounter screen so it's easier to track everything, but as a player you're still really just interacting with the character sheet and otherwise the "action" will be done on the forum.
Not sure if you saw my message earlier but did you start the campaign prior to the encounter?

I ask because I clicked enter campaign and it said you hadn't started it, so could be a factor?

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
Not sure if you saw my message earlier but did you start the campaign prior to the encounter?

I ask because I clicked enter campaign and it said you hadn't started it, so could be a factor?
The campaign is active, yes. There's nothing else to "launch" it beyond activate/deactivate. I'd say the fact you can all see each other rolling in the game log should imply it's in progress.

The encounters themselves have to be "started", but the test one earlier was running while I was asking people to test it. It's now not.

You'll have to show me where it's telling you things aren't in progress yet if it still is, as I'm not seeing anything else on my side.

If that doesn't work, Inkarnate is a pretty nice tool for map-making I found in the past. Also Roll20 if you want something people could join and move their characters around on. It has ways to hide stuff on it. Of course both have way more premium than free features, but still.

I may check those out, but I'm leaning towards just moving the tokens around myself as necessary and dropping them into the post. If nothing else I can work with this and just fog of war it manually.

1703992809108.png

TD

The campaign is active, yes. There's nothing else to "launch" it beyond activate/deactivate. I'd say the fact you can all see each other rolling in the game log should imply it's in progress.

The encounters themselves have to be "started", but the test one earlier was running while I was asking people to test it. It's now not.

You'll have to show me where it's telling you things aren't in progress yet if it still is, as I'm not seeing anything else on my side.
At the time we were testing it out, I hit launch game and it said "the DM has not started the campaign."

That message is not present and now I get this:

1000009625.jpg

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
At the time we were testing it out, I hit launch game and it said "the DM has not started the campaign."

That message is not present and now I get this:

View attachment 5513
Huh, weird. But good to know you can see the map. It also seems that everyone can move the tokens around though, and possibly add them which led to there being two of you and kut. 🤔

Want to tell me if the fog of war is on there now?

TD

1000009626.jpg

I see it.
Is it alive?
Is it coming for us.
Do I need to take Kut with me and let him stay afloat on my shell as we float away?

Magni Kragtail

Yeah it looks pretty barebones at the moment in terms of things you can do with it, but it's pretty cool. I imagine a few years from now Roll20 will have some competition.

Reactions: Ben
Back
Top Bottom