• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Very Important Text-Based D&D discussion

To help explain. Since I'm a knowledge domain cleric I get command as a spell. Character wise Cookie doesn't know that apple has been fermented she just really thinks the human needs to eat something because that always makes people feel better. I have to verbally say something, so I pulled the would you kindly from bioshock. I believe Tommy's character would know I used the spell whether they pass or fail the save.
1000001108.jpg

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
TIL: Bold is exclusively for actions.

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

TD

in before something terrible happens to Tortle Dude in the Tavern because TD

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
I had considered it, but wasn't sure if it'd detect from conversation in this forum proper. I'm sure I could come up with some fancy graphics to make it look pretty, though.

I'll run it by @VashTheStampede and @Mark for their thoughts.

Whether the content is posted in C&C in a group or D&D as a thread, it’s counting towards the post count regardless. I gotta tinker around with the notices function and see if I can set y’all up to utilize that within this forum if you wanna make use of that to link to a group or whatever in another forum… or whatever else notices could be useful for.

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
Whether the content is posted in C&C in a group or D&D as a thread, it’s counting towards the post count regardless. I gotta tinker around with the notices function and see if I can set y’all up to utilize that within this forum if you wanna make use of that to link to a group or whatever in another forum… or whatever else notices could be useful for.
Word. That was the main thing I wondered about, besides just creating more confusion in where to talk about junk.

But if for no other reason than the neat banner, it might be worth it. Or I could've make some signature images people can use if they want, which can link back to this forum.

@Mark can we display multiple group badges? Or pick which one gets displayed? 🤔

TD

These group banners don't show on mobile so I got no clue what's happening but I was invited to a group so I joined it.

When do the D&D badges come out!?

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
@VashTheStampede would it be easiest for you and Ben if we all did the same as you have done here for each of our characters?

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Vash's vision is for everyone to have their own thread for their character, both linking to D&D Beyond and including the PDF version like in his proof of concept post. I'm down with that, as it'd be nice to give people a forum-side journal or scratch pad for where their character is at.

When do the D&D badges come out!?
When you do something of merit, we'll find a suitable badge.

Tuberius of Wadawurrung

CFO of Shitposting, Head of Data & Insights
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Vash's vision is for everyone to have their own thread for their character, both linking to D&D Beyond and including the PDF version like in his proof of concept post. I'm down with that, as it'd be nice to give people a forum-side journal or scratch pad for where their character is at.

When you do something of merit, we'll find a suitable badge.
Fantastic, will make things heaps easier on mobile too.

VashTheStampede

Jawneh is possibly The Sorcerer
Creating a character sounds meritful! So does completing campaigns, reaching certain levels, acquiring certain things..

Am I on the right track for good D&D merits?

I'm actually asking, I don't know.
Completing a campaign definitely. Also having a character die.

edited for typo

Last edited:

VashTheStampede

Should I expect my character to die.. often?
Early game can be rough. Both of the last two campaigns I ran we lost a character before level 5.

Later on you get more access to spells like Revivify so death becomes a little less permanent.

• Emotional Damage
Reactions: TD

TD

Oh also super basic question.

How does XP and leveling up work?
And I guess.. what does leveling up do?

VashTheStampede

There's a couple ways DMs handle XP and leveling.

One method is to hand out XP for completing encounters (this can be combat or social encounters). Every enemy has a specific amount of XP its worth, for instance.

The other method is called Milestone Leveling and the DM will instruct players they've earned a level up for hitting certain points of the story.

Personally, I do Milestone for a variety of reasons. XP can be fun too, feels more like a video game.

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian

1. **Experience Points (XP):** XP is a numerical representation of the challenges and encounters your character has faced during their adventures. You earn XP for defeating monsters, completing quests, and achieving objectives. The Dungeon Master (DM) usually awards XP at the end of each session based on the challenges overcome.
  2. **Leveling Up:** Characters start at 1st level and progress by accumulating XP. As you gain more XP, you advance to higher levels. Each class has a specific XP threshold required to reach the next level.
  3. **Level Benefits:** When you level up, you gain several benefits:
    • **Hit Points (HP):** Your character's maximum HP typically increases, making you more durable.
    • **Class Features:** You gain new class features, abilities, or spells based on your chosen class.
    • **Ability Score Improvement:** You may have the opportunity to increase your ability scores or choose a new feat, enhancing your character's abilities.
    • **Spell Slots:** If you're a spellcaster, you may gain additional spell slots or access to higher-level spells.
  4. **Multiclassing:** Some players choose to multiclass, which means they combine levels from different classes. In this case, you track XP separately for each class and level up in each class independently.
  5. **XP Tables:** The specific XP thresholds required for leveling up are defined in the rules for each edition of D&D. Different editions may have slightly different mechanics for XP and leveling. It's important to note that while XP and leveling are common in many editions of D&D, some newer editions, like Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition (D&D 5e), use a simplified system where XP may be replaced by milestone leveling. In milestone leveling, the DM decides when characters level up based on the story's progression rather than tracking XP.
Italics on the last point are relevant to the version we're using. You're not so much going to have to total a certain threshold of XP, rather you'll level up when completing a "chapter" of the campaign.

Edit: Fuuuuuuck, beaten by seconds!

TD

There's a couple ways DMs handle XP and leveling.

One method is to hand out XP for completing encounters (this can be combat or social encounters). Every enemy has a specific amount of XP its worth, for instance.

The other method is called Milestone Leveling and the DM will instruct players they've earned a level up for hitting certain points of the story.

Personally, I do Milestone for a variety of reasons. XP can be fun too, feels more like a video game.
Does XP get equally distributed to the whole party like RPGs in video games (mostly) or does it depend on who does what?

VashTheStampede

Leveling up typically increases your HP, unlocks more class options, maybe more spells. It varies for different levels and classes.

There's another way DMs differ here too. At certain levels you get the ability to increase one of your base stats. Some DMs allow you to choose between this Stat increase or unlocking a "Feat" for your character. Kinda like a superpower. There's a whole bunch of options.

I'll need to add some of this to the Academy.

• Cheers!
Reactions: TD

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
On average, how many campaigns do you need to complete per level up?
You'll more than likely level up multiple times within one campaign.

Think of a campaign like a novel you're reading through. Each quest is a chapter, the campaign is the whole book.

Depending on how long/hard/girthy the chapters are, you'll probably level up after each one, and get several levels under your belt by the end of the campaign.

My first one is likely to be much shorter than Vash's, so everyone will probably go from 1 to 4.

Back
Top Bottom