• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Very Important Text-Based D&D discussion

VashTheStampede

Jawneh is possibly The Sorcerer
Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

Is there a typical level cap?
Level cap is 20

At that point your characters can go toe-to-toe with lesser gods.

Hard to run high level campaigns like that but I've always wanted to try.

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
Level cap is 20

At that point your characters can go toe-to-toe with lesser gods.

Hard to run high level campaigns like that but I've always wanted to try.
So I'm guessing level 20 will probably be a badge whenever we get there?

Yes me and my badges.

Must show off gaming prowess.

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
So I'm guessing level 20 will probably be a badge whenever we get there?

Yes me and my badges.

Must show off gaming prowess.
20 would definitely warrant a badge.

Though I'd make a case for badges marking getting any given class to level 2/whatever without dying, or completing a campaign, or for dying because you rolled a 1 and critically failed.

We gotta water-down those Wolf badges somehow.

TD

also side note, I have not forgotten about the Tavern. Currently sleepy and uncreative but I'll see you in there tomorrow.

Dragmire

Honestly I don't usually give my characters too much backstory while I know some people can write a whole short novella to be their backstory. For my characters, they usually just come from somewhere "over there" and are out on their own because they "want" to, sort of like they're doing it because they can.

Like if I was a character in RuneScape and someone in-universe asked my character why I was an adventurer, I'd be like "Well, what else would I do?"

TD

I've been making up my backstory as it comes to me. I'll edit stuff into the character sheet later.

You can go as over the top with detail as you want. Making your own NPCs from childhood friends or whatever life you lived before. The more you do have the more you may be giving a DM to use in their stories with your character, but by no means is this required. That being said if you are the mysterious backstory type that doesn't talk about your past, that may also give the DM free rain to just make up whatever they want for you.

A lot of real people in this world just come from a "normal" background that just decided they wanted to do x y or z with their lives. Most don't have some big traumatic event that spurs them on.

It's all in good fun and don't feel pressured to do anymore than you want to.

My dyslexic self always has a backstore even if it's simple. You will not be seeing pages and pages from me though. I have no patience for spelling all that out and proof reading it. I'll probably just add little bits here and there.

That being said, there is a reason for my rolling pin "mace" and cookie shield.

• Wanna Cookie?
Reactions: TD

TD

I intend to have a pretty flushed out backstory but I haven't really fully decided on it.

I'm using The Tavern to see what feels right, using it to work on my backstory, and will wrap up the character sheet.

Hopefully I'm doing things well so far. Not sure if my last post was too much and should be kept shorter or what.

Back
Top Bottom