• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

The Hockey Thread

That's a pretty low bar to clear
Let's.... give them time. They brought back the players and the front office. That bar may still be insurmountable to them.

Also, I know NOTHING about who the Bruins drafted. Other than he's some 6'4" center and that alone gives me Joe Thornton vibes.

But this was also their first first rounder in what? 3 years? I won't complain.

Tage Thompson is like if Chara was a forward instead of a d-man. He can score like crazy and knock you into next Tuesday at the same time. That's who you just drafted.
Matthew Mcconaughey GIF

Yeah, pretty alright.

I'll take that. I wish more in a winger than a center, but I'll take it for sure. I like my centers to be more skilled playmakers and two ways. I like a power forward and snipe alongside for my top two lines.

But I will take a player like that all day every day.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
I'll take that. I wish more in a winger than a center, but I'll take it for sure. I like my centers to be more skilled playmakers and two ways. I like a power forward and snipe alongside for my top two lines.

But I will take a player like that all day every day.
Yeah, never hurts to have some meat up front. Especially if the skill pans out.

Reactions: Jon
Only time will tell. This isn't football or basketball. These kids mostly get 2-3 years of development.

I still go back to a few years back when the Bruins had 3 picks in a row and used them on Zach Senshyn, Jakob Zboril and Jake DeBrusk and they all thought DeBrusk was the real reach.

Zboril just got traded this ppast season with only a handful of games and no talent, and I don't know is Senishyn even made it to the NHL. DeBrusk is the only one that panned out.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Only time will tell. This isn't football or basketball. These kids mostly get 2-3 years of development.
Very true, sometimes the sure-fits don't work and the long-shots become studs. Look at Jamie Benn and John Klingberg, low picks who became something special.
I still go back to a few years back when the Bruins had 3 picks in a row and used them on Zach Senshyn, Jakob Zboril and Jake DeBrusk and they all thought DeBrusk was the real reach.

Zboril just got traded this ppast season with only a handful of games and no talent, and I don't know is Senishyn even made it to the NHL. DeBrusk is the only one that panned out.
Absolutely, we had Val Nichushkin not long ago, didn't pan out AT ALL, then went to Colorado, looked awesome and screwed himself. Not everyone pans out, and some ruin themselves. Life's a funny, funny thing.

Zadorov is a 6'6 defenseman on his 6th team... apparently he was good in the playoffs and can skate a little.

Lindholm better go back to being a 25 goal, 65 point scorer on a line with Pasta. He only had 15 goals last year.

There were a few others I'd rather have, but I'm content with this. Bruins have about $9M left in cap space to sign Swayman. I'd try to dump Carlo or... I don't even know. They took on that stupid Korpisalo contract when they traded Ullmark. I really hate that move.

They are still recovering from trading future assets to make runs the two previous years so they are in decent shape for now. Hopefully a few of the kids like Lysell can turn into something on the wing and Lohrei can continue making strides on D so a few of the higher paid guys can be moved in the next year or so.

I have to keep telling myself the Bruins were a few FACEOFF WINS from pushing Florida to game 7. They did well for the team they fielded. They just couldn't win a faceoff.

They traded him for the 25th pick that they just made, two mid level prospects and took on 75% of Korpisalo's contract... the worst goalie in the league last year.
Hmm.... I see. I think it's more likely they send Korpisalo to Providence then. If the Senators retained 25%, then it stands to reason the Bruins could save more cap space by sending him down. Especially since they gave Bussi a one year contract. He'd be fine as the back up and either a team claims Korpisalo and you save all the cap space, or he goes to the minors and you save about half of what he'd make.

Hmm.... I see. I think it's more likely they send Korpisalo to Providence then. If the Senators retained 25%, then it stands to reason the Bruins could save more cap space by sending him down. Especially since they gave Bussi a one year contract. He'd be fine as the back up and either a team claims Korpisalo and you save all the cap space, or he goes to the minors and you save about half of what he'd make.

That's what I heard. No one will claim him, the Bruins will have to pay him hard money but it moves off the cap. If that's the case, they have $12M. I've guessing 8x8 for Swayman. Ideally then you try to trade Carlo/someone that takes up $4M a year and pay a winger some real money.

But again, even if they don't, the team is defensively good and getting better on offense.

That's what I heard. No one will claim him, the Bruins will have to pay him hard money but it moves off the cap. If that's the case, they have $12M. I've guessing 8x8 for Swayman. Ideally then you try to trade Carlo/someone that takes up $4M a year and pay a winger some real money.

But again, even if they don't, the team is defensively good and getting better on offense.
I don't remember his contract situation, but I assume Grzelcyk is an option to go too. Carlo was a rumored cap casualty at the deadline last year, so his is another. Lindholm and McAvoy are locked up long term as the top pair. And Lohrei will be on the third pair with Wotherspoon. Zadorov is a lock on the second pair. Peake and Mitchell will be the 6th and 7th.

I'd rather have Carlo, but for cap reasons, I'm ok with it.

I don't remember his contract situation, but I assume Grzelcyk is an option to go too. Carlo was a rumored cap casualty at the deadline last year, so his is another. Lindholm and McAvoy are locked up long term as the top pair. And Lohrei will be on the third pair with Wotherspoon. Zadorov is a lock on the second pair. Peake and Mitchell will be the 6th and 7th.

I'd rather have Carlo, but for cap reasons, I'm ok with it.

Grz was a free agent and the Penguins signed him today, so he's gone.

I'd rather have Carlo, I guess I'm just tired of never having a 2nd right winger since Horton left.

OMG! The first duo in NHL history to post and over 5 GAA!
It'd be one hell of a tanking duo if you ask me. I could see it now, the Bruins bottom out in the standings, finishing last in the NHL. But it's not all doom & gloom because the Bruins put themselves in a position for a top 5 pick, maybe even landing the first overall selection.

Lottery day comes, everyone gathering in anticipation to see who's won the first overall pick. Deputy Commissioner, Bill Daly gets to end of the reveal and this is when the suspense hits its climax. This is it, the moment we've all been waiting for.....who gets the #1 selection in the draft.

Daly flips the card and.....

The first overall selection in the draft goes to the Edmonton Oilers.

1719865155077.png

I've got some bad news, everyone.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Grz was a free agent and the Penguins signed him today, so he's gone.

I'd rather have Carlo, I guess I'm just tired of never having a 2nd right winger since Horton left.
Same... And they have only two natural RW on the team right now. Pastrnak and Brazeau... and there is no way they're willing to go into the season with Brazeau as a top 6 forward, right? RIGHT?!

Back
Top Bottom