• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

The Check-In, Check-Out Thread

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
So far, so good on the Con. Found some good games for decent prices. Then there was a vendor that was TOTALLY price gouging. 100 for a GB Pocket when everyone is selling them for 60.
Always at least one of them at a con, gotta' get that extra dough! Remember if you're there for the very end, grab those last minute deals, vendors will work with you more because they don't want to take the stuff back with them!

Always at least one of them at a con, gotta' get that extra dough! Remember if you're there for the very end, grab those last minute deals, vendors will work with you more because they don't want to take the stuff back with them!
Definitely what I intend to do, but I already have most of what I've wanted to snag. I did negotiate down a couple, but I was more like "can you knock 5-10 of this price?" and they were cool with it.

There are three vendors in the local area here, two of which I already frequent, almost no reason to check out their goods.

I found a few vendors with Jaguar games, but nothing that I don't already have or don't want to spend a bunch on.

Another vendor has multiple Neo Geo AES' for sale. They're modded, too, but I'm not dropping 400 on a console in which the games are almost as much as the system itself.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Definitely what I intend to do, but I already have most of what I've wanted to snag. I did negotiate down a couple, but I was more like "can you knock 5-10 of this price?" and they were cool with it.
Awesome! Glad you're getting deals, even a few bucks off is something!
There are three vendors in the local area here, two of which I already frequent, almost no reason to check out their goods.

I found a few vendors with Jaguar games, but nothing that I don't already have or don't want to spend a bunch on.
Downside to niche collecting, sadly, it's super hard to fill out the library once you hit a certain point. Either all expensive or all hard to track down!
Another vendor has multiple Neo Geo AES' for sale. They're modded, too, but I'm not dropping 400 on a console in which the games are almost as much as the system itself.
Yeah, that's the one console that will always be on my will I/won't I list. I want on, I REALLY want one, lol, but they're so expensive to get and so expensive to collect for that it negates the want.

There’s an age for pre-gaming with pain relievers before an event that requires substantial walking, and you’re past it, you ding dong.
I'm not 40...

yet.

~2 months to go.

Edit: Amazingly, I felt no discomfort in my left big toe despite basically walking around for nearly 7 hours. I've been having this random sharp pain hit my left big toe (most lilely due to using flip flops too much), but I didn't feel it once until I got home and took off my running shoes.

I definitely chose the right shoes. I wouldn't last longer than an hour wearing a pair of Vans or Sperrys.

Last edited:
Yeah, there are pretty strict rules on that. I never managed to figure out the no thumb thing, or the two hander thing. Just a boring ole' one handed three-fingered bowler :D
The thumb hole would have to be really off center from the other two for me to make use of it. I'm basically palming the ball but have two finger holes so I can get the spin I need without hurting my hand (no holes is hard on the hands).

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
The thumb hole would have to be really off center from the other two for me to make use of it. I'm basically palming the ball but have two finger holes so I can get the spin I need without hurting my hand (no holes is hard on the hands).
Yeah, you need the fingers, even just the fingertips, ultimately, to get the control. No fingers is just a hail mary, lol

So, for breakfast, I threw a cube steak on the frying pan because the sell by date was today, but I got two in one pack and wasn't eating both. So, I decided to see what I needed to do to make country fried steak because cube steaks are what are commonly used for CFS. It is surprisingly easy and I ACTUALLY had the ingredients and they weren't expired for once. I made rice in my rice cooker because mashed taters wasn't happening and rice is SOOOOOOO much easier and doesn't take up and extra spot on the stove.

Supposedly, the steak should marinate for at least 4 hours or overnight. I wonder if that helps make the steak more tender. Certainly a good idea to let it sit over night so you can cook it in the morning. The steak came out just fine outside of slightly overcooking the outside. Supposedly country gravy is a walk in the park, too. Flour, milk, butter, and a bunch of black pepper. I wouldn't need to buy the little packs, because I have all the ingredients available.

It doesn't appear that I need a lot of cooking oil, either. Just enough to have a layer on the pan.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
So, for breakfast, I threw a cube steak on the frying pan because the sell by date was today, but I got two in one pack and wasn't eating both. So, I decided to see what I needed to do to make country fried steak because cube steaks are what are commonly used for CFS. It is surprisingly easy and I ACTUALLY had the ingredients and they weren't expired for once. I made rice in my rice cooker because mashed taters wasn't happening and rice is SOOOOOOO much easier and doesn't take up and extra spot on the stove.

Supposedly, the steak should marinate for at least 4 hours or overnight. I wonder if that helps make the steak more tender. Certainly a good idea to let it sit over night so you can cook it in the morning. The steak came out just fine outside of slightly overcooking the outside. Supposedly country gravy is a walk in the park, too. Flour, milk, butter, and a bunch of black pepper. I wouldn't need to buy the little packs, because I have all the ingredients available.

It doesn't appear that I need a lot of cooking oil, either. Just enough to have a layer on the pan.

Tenderizing does wonders for cube steak in a bind when you don’t have the time to marinate. Just beat your meat.

Any type of milk will tenderise beef, or chicken for that matter. I assume the marinade will have buttermilk which will also have slight acidity which will also help.

You should really marinade almost anything at least overnight for a good result. There are maybe some exceptions such as a pineapple marinade which is an exceptional chemical tenderiser, because anything more than a couple of hours in that and your steak turns into mush. But generally for flavour you need the time. When I make fried chicken I either marinate overnight or not bother.

Tenderizing does wonders for cube steak in a bind when you don’t have the time to marinate. Just beat your meat.
Funny thing is that cube steak is already heavily tenderized.
Any type of milk will tenderise beef, or chicken for that matter. I assume the marinade will have buttermilk which will also have slight acidity which will also help.
I only used milk and an egg for the wet stuff. I probably could have added butter, but that requires melting butter down. I do have heavy cream though. Can't really make decent New England Clam Chowder without the stuff, so it's in my fridge. I've also got powdered milk...

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Funny thing is that cube steak is already heavily tenderized.

Mechanically, yes. It’s a uniform pattern, though, so intersecting it helps a good deal. I used to think the same thing until I tried it, but that’s how most southern kitchens get that real thin and crispy end on it when they fry it. I used to get all my cooking tips from a neighbor that grew up in the south, those older black ladies that call you “sugar” will teach you some valuable stuff, but it’s gonna involve a lotta butter and some unconventional techniques… like some extra tenderizing.

So, I ordered a copy of a fighting game called Breakers for the Dreamcast. It was a game that got a release a decade or so after the Dreamcast was discontinued. New copies are still being sold. That's not why I'm posting this.

I ordered it off of eBay. The seller shipped it. On Friday it made it to the USPS distribution center in Saint Louis, with the anticipation that I would receive it on Saturday or Sunday. It never arrived. I check the tracking info today. It's now in fucking Omaha for some reason.

My tax dollars at work.

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
So, I ordered a copy of a fighting game called Breakers for the Dreamcast. It was a game that got a release a decade or so after the Dreamcast was discontinued. New copies are still being sold. That's not why I'm posting this.

I ordered it off of eBay. The seller shipped it. On Friday it made it to the USPS distribution center in Saint Louis, with the anticipation that I would receive it on Saturday or Sunday. It never arrived. I check the tracking info today. It's now in fucking Omaha for some reason.

My tax dollars at work.
How/why was it released that long after the Dreamcast ended its run?

How/why was it released that long after the Dreamcast ended its run?
I'm not really sure on the complete story. Based on what little information there is, there's a NEOGEO CD emulator that people got to work on the Dreamcast and they started to make unofficial games
The company who made Breakers back in the 90s, Visgo (or QByte, the company who supposedly holds the game library rights to Visgo's games), worked with an independent publisher named "Josh Prod" to make an official port for their game on the Dreamcast using that emulator.

Small developers and publishers still release games for the Dreamcast, and numerous other consoles, including the Atari Jaguar of all systems.

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I'm not really sure on the complete story. Based on what little information there is, there's a NEOGEO CD emulator that people got to work on the Dreamcast and they started to make unofficial games
The company who made Breakers back in the 90s, Visgo (or QByte, the company who supposedly holds the game library rights to Visgo's games), worked with an independent publisher named "Josh Prod" to make an official port for their game on the Dreamcast using that emulator.

Small developers and publishers still release games for the Dreamcast, and numerous other consoles, including the Atari Jaguar of all systems.
Sounds like a good way to lose money, but what do I know

Sounds like a good way to lose money, but what do I know
Jaguar games are kinda sold at a premium in order to balance out releasing a game for a long discontinued system. The copy of Breakers was about 50 bucks for a game that got a Steam release in a "collection" with the "sequel" for 20 bucks.

These physical copies are for the few of us who want official releases on their beloved consoles. For me, if I can get physical copies of any/all fighting games released on the Dreamcast, I'm going to do it.

Checked out of hotel this morning, came home, fiber internet doesn't work. ATT won't come until tomorrow. My house is a wireless network deadzone, so I can't even rely on 4G/5G. Had a buttload of points in my IHG rewards, used them to book a nearby hotel.

Edit: If I didn't have almost 150k points to use and there wasn't a Cleveland playoff baseball game that I wanted to watch/listen to in private, there's no way I'm getting a hotel room because of no internet in my house.

Last edited:

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Checked out of hotel this morning, came home, fiber internet doesn't work. ATT won't come until tomorrow. My house is a wireless network deadzone, so I can't even rely on 4G/5G. Had a buttload of points in my IHG rewards, used them to book a nearby hotel.

Edit: If I didn't have almost 150k points to use and there wasn't a Cleveland playoff baseball game that I wanted to watch/listen to in private, there's no way I'm getting a hotel room because of no internet in my house.
Literal check in check outs

Back
Top Bottom