The Check-In, Check-Out Thread

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Might as well have a casual "hey all, how's your day going" kind of thread that includes "welp, stopped by, heading off for the night" kind of posts, as well. So here's one :D

Major Isoor

Dynamite with a laser beam
GW Elder
Hey, going OK here - just unlocking old GW memories this evening, for the most part! (Ever since around 2013 I was assimilated into SomethingAwful game forum culture, so my old, fond memories of GW lore were pretty much locked away. It's great seeing familiar names again, though!)

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Hey, going OK here - just unlocking old GW memories this evening, for the most part! (Ever since around 2013 I was assimilated into SomethingAwful game forum culture, so my old, fond memories of GW lore were pretty much locked away. It's great seeing familiar names again, though!)
I've always had fond GW memories, but being here and interacting with everyone again has opened up so many more!! It's such a great experience :D
I'm getting into my old habit of staying up outrageously late because suddenly fun things on internet and wayback machine GW spelunking to experience :wth So I'm going to bed now like 4 hours late :elephant
Guilty! I did the exact same thing the first two nights after launch, lol. It's hard not to, there's something about all of this that feels amazingly nostalgic and it's wonderful!

Lunar Kreskents

noping in a corner near you
GW Elder
Guilty! I did the exact same thing the first two nights after launch, lol. It's hard not to, there's something about all of this that feels amazingly nostalgic and it's wonderful!
It just wouldn't feel the same without 4 hours of sleep. Gotta replicate that nostalgia!

Yeah I was up till 3am. Definitely not very productive working today.
The struggle is real lol

I hope this thread doesn't turn into hundreds of people JUST saying these two words. I've been on another forum where that is the case. You try to make conversation with people in that thread and they never say anything other than "Checking in." :p
talking spongebob squarepants GIF

:p

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Add me to the list of people who stayed up way too late last night because of this place.

I have a Saturday morning routine of laying in bed with my cats and browsing the internet until it's time to stab one of them with insulin, so that's what I'm currently doing. I think I'll go find a walking trail to hit later today, because the weather is absolutely gorgeous.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Add me to the list of people who stayed up way too late last night because of this place.

I have a Saturday morning routine of laying in bed with my cats and browsing the internet until it's time to stab one of them with insulin, so that's what I'm currently doing. I think I'll go find a walking trail to hit later today, because the weather is absolutely gorgeous.

I definitely stayed up later than I intended last night due to this place :D

You're welcome :D :D

Nebulous

Hakuna Matata
GW Elder
Hey all! Its July already. 2023 is going by too fast. Pretty soon the holidays will be here.

200.gif

Nebulous

Hakuna Matata
GW Elder
Hi all, hope all the Americans out there had a good 4th of July! The weekend is almost here, two days left. :D

Assholes were lighting off mortar (illegal) fireworks in my parking lot last night at 11:50pm. Then fortunately a hail storm came. But they've just started up again and it's not even 5pm. Hopefully they stick to the field by the highway tonight.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Assholes were lighting off mortar (illegal) fireworks in my parking lot last night at 11:50pm. Then fortunately a hail storm came. But they've just started up again and it's not even 5pm. Hopefully they stick to the field by the highway tonight.
Eek, that doesn't sound good. Hopefully they're done quickly!

Olga

Weak, strong – all belong.
GW Elder
Hows is everyone :D
I’ve been doing a lot of travelling in the last few weeks, with back-to-back journeys of Austria-Cyprus-Austria-England-Austria-Greece. Today I got up at 6am in a small seaside town in Greece, grabbed a bus to Thessaloniki, then got a train from there to Levadia. Currently waiting for a bus to take me to Delphi - the place where the Oracle of Delphi uttered prophecies for over a 1000 years (not the same person, but usually a woman over 50 years old, allegedly under the influence of hallucinogens). It was considered to be where the centre of the Earth was located. What remains today is a splendid set of ancient ruins, and a good museum. I’ll be there for probably fewer than 24 hours before making my 10-hour journey back to Thessaloniki.

The food here is good, the wine is splendid, Greece is beautiful and the people are friendly. 🙂

Most people think that the oracle was essentially an ancient astrologer/confused person, but my guess is that it was a lot more interesting than that. I’m keen to see the architecture of the place that was thought to be one of the most important places in the world for a millennium. What did it mean to build a home for the Oracle? What did they want visitors to feel? I will soon get the ghost of an idea.

How are you?

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
I’ve been doing a lot of travelling in the last few weeks, with back-to-back journeys of Austria-Cyprus-Austria-England-Austria-Greece. Today I got up at 6am in a small seaside town in Greece, grabbed a bus to Thessaloniki, then got a train from there to Levadia. Currently waiting for a bus to take me to Delphi - the place where the Oracle of Delphi uttered prophecies for over a 1000 years (not the same person, but usually a woman over 50 years old, allegedly under the influence of hallucinogens). It was considered to be where the centre of the Earth was located. What remains today is a splendid set of ancient ruins, and a good museum. I’ll be there for probably fewer than 24 hours before making my 10-hour journey back to Thessaloniki.

The food here is good, the wine is splendid, Greece is beautiful and the people are friendly. 🙂

Most people think that the oracle was essentially an ancient astrologer/confused person, but my guess is that it was a lot more interesting than that. I’m keen to see the architecture of the place that was thought to be one of the most important places in the world for a millennium. What did it mean to build a home for the Oracle? What did they want visitors to feel? I will soon get the ghost of an idea.

How are you?
That sounds absolutely fascinating! Glad you're having a good time!!

Olga

GW Elder
That sounds absolutely fascinating! Glad you're having a good time!!
I came here to see some of my Ukrainian relatives, and it’s been good, but intense! I hadn’t seen some of them in about or even over 20 years; took the war to get us to see each other, so it’s bittersweet. I’ll be really glad to be home!

How are you, Crystal?

How are you?
My wife and I went to Greece for our babymoon; incredible experience. You would love the natural beauty and monasteries in Meteora. Delphi was nice, but try to see the shrine of Nike, it is right there and not many people actually visit it, so it is a relaxing experience. Shouldn’t take too long to see it compared to the museum at the temple of Apollo

Olga

GW Elder
My wife and I went to Greece for our babymoon; incredible experience. You would love the natural beauty and monasteries in Meteora. Delphi was nice, but try to see the shrine of Nike, it is right there and not many people actually visit it, so it is a relaxing experience. Shouldn’t take too long to see it compared to the museum at the temple of Apollo
Wonderful - thank you! I’ll try to visit Meteora, although I think I’ll be too short on time. However, it has been such a good time so far that I think I’ll come back, and the next visit I’ll make sure to see Athens and Meteora. Thanks for the tip about Nike! 🧿 I’ll make sure to take a look!

Wonderful - thank you! I’ll try to visit Meteora, although I think I’ll be too short on time. However, it has been such a good time so far that I think I’ll come back, and the next visit I’ll make sure to see Athens and Meteora. Thanks for the tip about Nike! 🧿 I’ll make sure to take a look!
If I remember correctly, the shrine of Nike was just a few minutes from the temple of Apollo

AE4BCB7A-59A7-4DC5-A078-2DA446F4DFC9_Original.jpeg
@Olga This is an picture I took of one of the Monasteries in meteora. I have a video of the rock formations which are beautiful. There are lots of holes/caverns because this region used to be entirely filled with water until an earthquake or something drained it a long ass time ago. @Mark @Crystal is there a way to share a video without hosting it elsewhere?

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
@Olga This is an picture I took of one of the Monasteries in meteora. I have a video of the rock formations which are beautiful. There are lots of holes/caverns because this region used to be entirely filled with water until an earthquake or something drained it a long ass time ago. @Mark @Crystal is there a way to share a video without hosting it elsewhere?

I have it enabled so that members can directly attach video and audio to posts via attachments, or there’s an option to embed off-site media via approved sources here.IMG_2874.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom