• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

[2024] MLB Season Discussion Thread

Randy Arozarena has been traded to the Mariners. He's not having a great season, but maybe a change of scenery will help him.
He instantly becomes the best hitter in their lineup with Julio Rodriguez currently on the shelf with an ankle sprain. Victor Robles has hit .365 in 28 games since the Mariners signed him off the scrapheap, so maybe Arozarena can take off too.

I'm hoping the Royals can add another impact bat and arm by the deadline, though I'm not sure they have much in the way of value to give up.

turkey

gobble gobble
GW Elder
So, thoughts on your teams' moves before the trade deadline? Cleveland definitely upgraded in the outfield. Cobb at SP is a toss up. He's had a decent career, but hasn't pitched this season.
I liked that the dbacks got AJ Puk, needed a lefty and he’s looked solid.

Glad we got Josh bell last second after Walker went down. Even if it’s short term we can use the depth.

Wish we got a new closer.

rktaker

I like that the Mets got Winker and bullpen help both those things they badly needed. Blackburn I feel meh about I wish they got another Starter like Flaherty

So, there was a heated debate between the executive and Yanks management over the status of Jasson Dominguez, per Jon Heyman.

If Alex Verdugo isn't running out routine grounders because he's "beat up," as Aaron Boone says, that's yet another reason to call up top outfield prospect Jasson Dominguez.

The decision to keep the uber-talented Dominguez at Triple-A beyond the Sept. 1 roster expansion date confounds many (including some Yankees people). And for most, word that it was made because GM Brian Cashman and Boone continue to have faith in Verdugo doesn't make it very much better.

Boone mentioned a pre-September "conversation" among Yankees higher-ups about whether to promote Dominguez, and insiders say it was a very spirited dialogue, with multiple executives strongly arguing for promotion, obviously unsuccessfully.

It isn't that Cashman and Boone aren't huge fans of Dominguez, who's hitting .310 with an .870 OPS in the minors. They are. The Martian was held out of trade talks for Blake Snell and even for Juan Soto.

The issue is Cashman and Boone seem to have surprising, outsized confidence in Verdugo. Recall that Boone advocated for Verdugo for more than a year before he was acquired for reliever Greg Weissert and two minor leaguers. I wrote June 15 that the Yankees got the better of this deal, but with 85% of his contracted tenure played now, I'll admit I was quick to judge.

Though Verdugo has played an excellent left field, he has far underperformed expectations offensively — and nearly everyone in MLB lately — with a .547 OPS since June 15 (third worst among players with 200 plate appearances) and .655 overall. He recently told Randy Miller of the Newark Star-Ledger that an allergy to his batting gloves may have been hindering him, and maybe this is all part of the "Verdugo experience" we've heard about.

The slugger Dominguez carries the potential to make a scary lineup even scarier. The return of Giancarlo Stanton and prescient deadline pickup of Jazz Chisholm Jr. lengthened what at times degenerated into a two-superstar lineup, but Dominguez makes it a potential Murderer's Row.

Dominguez should be up. But in the meantime, a .650 OPS hitter needs to run out grounders.

The response: Management has chosen to stand firm with the struggling Verdugo.

The Yankees are the LAST organization I'd expect to excuse a player not running out grounders.
Aaron Boone claims that Verdugo was struggling cause he's beat up, but if that's the case, then why is he still in the lineup? The insistence that a struggling Verdugo gives them the best chance of winning games reminds me of Babcock being as stubborn as a mule when he coached the Leafs.

But hey, I won't complain. The drama that's been going on in Yanksville makes for some great entertainment while at work. :giggle

• This is the Way
Reactions: Jon
Yankees are probably trying to maximize team control of the Dominguez guy.
Yep, this is the a-typical reason. Service time manipulation in baseball is still rampant and still anti-player.

Verdugo has been a trash player since he was drafted. And @MC74 is 100% right, if he's too hurt to run out grounders, he's too hurt to play.

Fuck right off with the lying garbage.

Most likely the case, keeping him down would ensure they get an extra year of team control.

Yep, this is the a-typical reason. Service time manipulation in baseball is still rampant and still anti-player.

Verdugo has been a trash player since he was drafted. And @MC74 is 100% right, if he's too hurt to run out grounders, he's too hurt to play.

As a Cleveland baseball fan, I know service time manipulation when I see it. Lindor was a big one. I expect Bazana to be the same when it's his turn.

As a Cleveland baseball fan, I know service time manipulation when I see it. Lindor was a big one. I expect Bazana to be the same when it's his turn.
To be fair, EVERY team does it. But you can already hold these guys for 8 years. And if they are good, they will win big numbers in arbitration anyway.

Unless your team is stacked, there is little REAL and tangible reason to do this to a player.

Especially when the best way to develop these guys that are ready is by putting them in real games and ones that matter.

Dominguez has already proven that he's more than capable of playing at the major league level. Sure, keeping him down will ensure one more year of service time, but at the cost of sabotaging your own team's chances and pissing off the fanbase in the process. But again, if this is what they're intent on doing, then they're more than welcome to have their cake & eat it, lol.

• Lol
Dominguez has already proven that he's more than capable of playing at the major league level. Sure, keeping him down will ensure one more year of service time, but at the cost of sabotaging your own team's chances and pissing off the fanbase in the process. But again, if this is what they're intent on doing, then they're more than welcome to have their cake & eat it, lol.
That's my point, exactly. You stunt his growth. Hurt your team. Piss off your fans.

All for what? One extra arbitration eligible year? Especially coming form the Yankees, this is just silly. You print your own money for heaven's sake!

I understand this from smaller market or bad teams, honestly. They don't make as much money (except from teams like the Yankees and Dodgers whose luxury tax payments to them are probably more than they invest in their own teams). Having a player who is a possible superstar stick around for that one extra year may be more worth it for those organizations long term.

But the Yankees? This just doesn't make sense.

That's my point, exactly. You stunt his growth. Hurt your team. Piss off your fans.

All for what? One extra arbitration eligible year? Especially coming form the Yankees, this is just silly. You print your own money for heaven's sake!

I understand this from smaller market or bad teams, honestly. They don't make as much money (except from teams like the Yankees and Dodgers whose luxury tax payments to them are probably more than they invest in their own teams). Having a player who is a possible superstar stick around for that one extra year may be more worth it for those organizations long term.

But the Yankees? This just doesn't make sense.
Yep, the smaller market teams who don't have the same stroke that bigger market teams have need that extra year. But the Yankees? Pfft, it doesn't make one bit of a difference when they've got the financial muscle to back it up. They should be less concerned about service time and more concerned about the help they're gonna need in the playoffs.

It's time to shit or get off the pot, and from the looks of it, the Yankees got off the pot and then proceeded to shit themselves.

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
At least we arent Red Sox fans!
Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

But we can all agree that the trashtros suck
Sad Uh Oh GIF by Jomboy Media

rktaker

these last two weeks are gonna be such a dog fight in the NL Wild Card with the Padres, D-Backs, Braves, and Mets all gunning for the 3 spots neither the Mets or Braves can get a comfortable lead in that last spot, not to mention that both the first and second wild card spots are still open so it's possible that one of the D-backs or PAdres drop out and the Mets and Braves get those spots instead. It's gonna be an interesting couple of weeks for sure. also the MEts and Braves face each other the last week of the season and the results of that series could determine the wild card

Shohei Ohtani hit 3 home runs yesterday, and with that, he's become the first person in MLB history to record 50 home runs and 50 stolen bases in a single season.

I'm so happy for my guy, but I simply can't root for the Dodgers. Ugh, this stings.
That guy is crazy good and I'm glad to be alive to see it.

the fact that there's only two other players in the ENTIRE history of major league baseball that have managed to hit 50 HRs and 50 SBs in separate seasons is crazy. ohtani is one of one and i'm excited to see him get back to pitching next year
He is a once in a generation talent. To hear it is one thing, but to witness history being made yourself is another.

But for as jaw-dropping as it is to see it, holy fuck, you can't help but to feel for Angels fans. They had not one, but 2 generational talents, and never even managed to build around them, and now one of them have moved on, and with their rival counterpart might I add.

rktaker

so couple of things First of all, Mets take 3 out of 4 vs the Phillies in their final home series of the season so now the MEts just need to win 2 out of 3 vs the Braves to clinch a playoff berth. just amazing considering where this team was in May

second thing. the White Sox with their loss today has tied the record has tied the record for most losses in MLB's modern era with 120 tying the 1962 Mets. one more loss and the White Sox will break that record

Why do I feel like we're in the early 90s again reading that?
Haha well they didn't really go into the toilet until after the '94 strike, and the 00s were when they started losing 100 games.

My kitchen sink has a mirror behind it, and I can see the tv in the living space in the mirror when I'm washing dishes. It's interesting watching baseball this way because all the right handed batters and pitchers appear left handed and vice versa, like some weird alternate reality. Tonight I got to see bizarro left handed Salvador Perez bat against bizarro left handed Raisel Iglesias.

rktaker

so here's the NL WC scenarios for Mets, Braves and D-backs for the final day of the regular season I am so nervous for this. It's gonna come down to the double header vs the Braves isn't it...........

Back
Top Bottom