[2024] MLB Season Discussion Thread

With opening day upon us tomorrow begins a new MLB season. Over the course of the past year, we've seen some crazy things happen in the world of baseball.

• The Baltimore Orioles winning 101 games
  • The Miami Marlins emerging as a playoff team
  • The Minnesota Twins getting their "W" back as they upset & swept the Blue Jays, ending what was a 19-year streak of playoff game losses
  • The Texas Rangers winning their first World Series Championship
  • Juan Soto traded to the New York Yankees
  • Shohei Ohtani signing with the LA Dodgers

Can't say I have high expectation for my Jays this year, but always hyped for baseball nonetheless.

Talk to me in 6 months when I care about baseball again lol. This baseball season is too long. 6 weeks of spring training starting in February… 162 game season over 6 months where most are irrelevant… then two more months of playoffs…

When your team sucks the season is as useless as poopy flavored lollipops. I miss the early 2000s Red Sox/Yankees rivalry.

Talk to me in 6 months when I care about baseball again lol. This baseball season is too long. 6 weeks of spring training starting in February… 162 game season over 6 months where most are irrelevant… then two more months of playoffs…

When your team sucks the season is as useless as poopy flavored lollipops. I miss the early 2000s Red Sox/Yankees rivalry.
I do agree the MLB season is too long. Wouldn't mind seeing them cut down on the amount of games played in a season.

Hell I’m also down to shorten games to 7 innings. Helps with pitching staffs and pace of play
Even more so with the rate of injuries increasing as pitchers are pitching harder these days. To think, when Joel Zumaya was throwing gas back in 2006, that was considered impressive. Now, it's more commonplace.

Also, I can imagine how extremely frustrating it is being a Red Sox fan. The way that team is being mismanaged is ridiculous.

Reactions: Jon

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder

That’s EXACTLY why I didn’t set up a regular season pool for the MLB. They get one for the playoffs. That’s it.

O’s might do some damage this season, though. They also might choke near the playoffs. It’s too early to flip that coin.

Even more so with the rate of injuries increasing as pitchers are pitching harder these days. To think, when Joel Zumaya was throwing gas back in 2006, that was considered impressive. Now, it's more commonplace.

Also, I can imagine how extremely frustrating it is being a Red Sox fan. The way that team is being mismanaged is ridiculous.
I am less a Red Sox fan anymore. David price killed my love for them. I still love baseball but I don’t follow it anymore. I only know a few names. I follow the standings every so often. But now that I live near Tampa I root for both Tampa and Boston. Essentially I’ll root for anyone but the Yankees, Astros or dodgers. All are dickhead organizations. And the D’Backs are my team I root for in the west mostly.

I grew up on baseball. But I can’t follow it any more.

Hockey is my go to and I will never NOT be a bruins fan.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder

Same. I used to love going to games, but never really cared for watching it on television. I haven’t been to a game in years. I think I’d only go for a middle of the week night game nowadays. I’m done roasting in the stands in the summer.

When I first moved down here 4 years ago I went to a Sox/rays game at the trop (what a terrible stadium). It was nice but that was it. Haven’t been to many games anymore.

I also went to a bruins/lightning game that was fun. And a Bucs game. Forget who they played but it was end of the season before Brady got here.

60497547122__AA9FF9E6-269A-41DB-8B9D-49C1B5DE0E6C.jpeg

I am less a Red Sox fan anymore. David price killed my love for them. I still love baseball but I don’t follow it anymore. I only know a few names. I follow the standings every so often. But now that I live near Tampa I root for both Tampa and Boston. Essentially I’ll root for anyone but the Yankees, Astros or dodgers. All are dickhead organizations. And the D’Backs are my team I root for in the west mostly.

Hockey is my go to and I will never NOT be a bruins fan.
I still follow up baseball because it's always been my second sport. That said, there have been some things that have really left a sour taste in my mouth over the years. The sad state of affairs that became of the Montreal Expos. A team that had it all and then lost everything. Having a soft spot for that team, that broke my heart. There was the steroid scandal that came out in the mid 2000s that also hurt the sport big time, and while I'm at it, I'll also note the Astros sign stealing scandal and Rob Manfred's comments after the fact.

All of which hasn't done baseball any justice at all.

rktaker

Players would, provided their contracts don't change.. Owners wouldn't.
they would change, players aren't gonna get paid $700 million for 81 games it just isn't happening Owners see less games as having to spend less money on players cause they're not playing as much, so no Players would never go for that

they would change, players aren't gonna get payed $700 million for 81 games it just isn't happening Owners see less games as having to spend less mney on players cause they're not playing as much, so no Players would never go for that
Exactly this. It was a sticking point when they were negotiating for the Covid shortened season. If they only play half the games, the owners would insist on only paying half the salary. Remember, they would lose a lot of revenue from missed concession and ticket sales due to half as many home games

they would change, players aren't gonna get paid $700 million for 81 games it just isn't happening Owners see less games as having to spend less money on players cause they're not playing as much, so no Players would never go for that

Exactly this. It was a sticking point when they were negotiating for the Covid shortened season. If they only play half the games, the owners would insist on only paying half the salary. Remember, they would lose a lot of revenue from missed concession and ticket sales due to half as many home games
Again, the players would love to play less games. But they wouldn't agree unless their salaries don't change. That said, we all may be saying the same thing in a different way.

Owners would stand to lose MILLIONS in revenue from a shortened season. It's why the NBA and NHL never shortened their season. And the NFL was trying to expand to 17 games without increasing player salary. EDIT - yes, they'd save a ton on player salaries, but that's ignoring the income they'd lose coinciding with the lesser expense of the salaries dropping.

Owners are the sticking point here, not the players.

That said, you're also right that in a shortened season (not talking COVID here) the players shouldn't get the full contracts. But if the players said we'll take 60% of our contracts if we half the season, I promise you the owners would say absolutely not. TV deals, stadium deals, merchandising deals, advertisement deals, concessions... they'd all be affected and have to be renegotiated and the owners would lose millions.

It's why they are talking expansion instead of contraction.

Looking forward to the season. I think this is literally the best offseason the Giants have had in decades. It was the realistic best case scenario. Ohtani was never happening. I should have had my interpreter put money on it.
Speaking of Ohtani, I'll still never forget the shitshow that happened in Toronto. The false report of his plane being at Pearson International Airport, people going out of their way trying to verify it by tracking flight patterns and if Ohtani was actually at the airport. It was Kawhi Leonard situation all over again, ugh. -__-

And the plane that was at the airport? It belonged to none other than Robert Herjavec.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
It belonged to none other than Robert Herjavec.
hello sharks I am asking for $700 million dollars to sign the greatest modern baseball player

Im Out Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

shark tank GIF by ABC Network

Shark Tank Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

Kevin O'Leary: Okay but you have to defer $680 million of it

Shark Tank Lol GIF by ABC Network

rktaker

I will agree that when watching the team you root for in MLB suck is tougher than in any other sport.

rktaker

Again, PR nightmare because of the accusations. Take all that out and the dude can still pitch and would be an ace on a lot of teams.

MLB =/= NFL
honestly I don't like the guy anyway because of his general attitude and because him and his merch team trolled Mets fans a few years ago back when he was a free agent it was reportedly down to Mets and Dodgers as the team he was going to go to. on the Morning that he made his decision on HIS website there was merch of his name on Mets stuff which led mets fans to think he was gonna sign with them. then when he did make his decision he chose the Dodgers. so that along with his agent making fun of mets fans on twitter and with the accusations, he can stay gone . I don't care if the guy can "Still pitch" I don't care if he's the second coming of Babe Ruth it's not worth it

honestly I don't like the guy anyway because of his general attitude and because him and his merch team trolled Mets fans a few years ago back when he was a free agent it was reportedly down to Mets and Dodgers as the team he was going to go to. on the Morning that he made his decision on HIS website there was merch of his name on Mets stuff which led mets fans to think he was gonna sign with them. then when he did make his decision he chose the Dodgers. so that along with his agent making fun of mets fans on twitter and with the accusations, he can stay gone .
Oh, I agree he's a dick. But you can't deny the talent and the knowledge. If you listen to his mentality and thought process about approaching at bats, the man knows his shit, which is why he can literally tell hitters what's coming and they still miss more often than not.

He's a dick. And the accusations against him corroborate that he's a dick. Still doesn't mean he shouldn't be pitching in the MLB because the talent is there. There have been plenty of assholes in the league. Do we not remember Clemens, McGuire, Bonds, Wells, Smoltz and numerous others? All assholes in one way or another.

Oh, I agree he's a dick. But you can't deny the talent and the knowledge. If you listen to his mentality and thought process about approaching at bats, the man knows his shit, which is why he can literally tell hitters what's coming and they still miss more often than not.

He's a dick. And the accusations against him corroborate that he's a dick. Still doesn't mean he shouldn't be pitching in the MLB because the talent is there. There have been plenty of assholes in the league. Do we not remember Clemens, McGuire, Bonds, Wells, Smoltz and numerous others? All assholes in one way or another.
Mark McGwire: I'm not here to talk about the past.

Sorry, couldn't help myself but to poke fun at that bit.

• Haha
Back
Top Bottom