• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

[2024] MLB Season Discussion Thread

one would be hopeful there would've been a point they could find 60 or so umpires more consistent than him so he could be relegated to AAA or something but now, typing that out, I suppose that is a bit unreasonable, isn't it

I'm gonna quote something one of my Bruins fans friends said. At least he can sleep easy knowing he wasn't fired in disgrace like Tim Peel.
He should have been fired in disgrace though.

Like, I know I'm hard on refs/umps but he was a disgrace to baseball.

Man filed a racial discrimination lawsuit against the MLB in 2018 that he was passed up on crew chief because he's Hispanic. Bitch you were passed over because you were literally the worst ump in baseball history. Not because you're Spanish! I'd love to be the MLB defense lawyer for that one....

"Your honor, I present to you for evidence, defense exhibit 1: 'Angel's Top Highlights.'

The defense rests."

rktaker

Fuck Angel Hernandez.

Only thing I'm sad about is I won't get all the highlights of his horrendous bad calls anymore.
don’t worry you’ll get a bunch of highlights of other bad calls from umps like Cb Bucknor, Laz Diaz, and Ron Kulpa

• Agree
Reactions: Jon

rktaker

He should have been fired in disgrace though.

Like, I know I'm hard on refs/umps but he was a disgrace to baseball.

Man filed a racial discrimination lawsuit against the MLB in 2018 that he was passed up on crew chief because he's Hispanic. Bitch you were passed over because you were literally the worst ump in baseball history. Not because you're Spanish! I'd love to be the MLB defense lawyer for that one....

"Your honor, I present to you for evidence, defense exhibit 1: 'Angel's Top Highlights.'

The defense rests."
and not only that but Angel lost that case to, like even the judge was like “nah you’re just bad”

don’t worry you’ll get a bunch of highlights of other bad calls from umps like Cb Bucknor, Laz Diaz, and Ron Kulpa
Those guys are bad, but at least they are ignorantly bad. Like Angel would commonly call pitches 6 feet outside the zone a strike. These other guys don't have THAT level of clout lol

and not only that but Angel lost that case to, like even the judge was like “nah you’re just bad”
"It's my job to be impartial, but bruh, my blind uncle has a better success rate than you."

I imagine he said something like that.

rktaker

Those guys are bad, but at least they are ignorantly bad. Like Angel would commonly call pitches 6 feet outside the zone a strike. These other guys don't have THAT level of clout lol
i guess it's more their power trips that are more fun to watch, like Kulpa telling the Astros? that he can do whatever he wants

• Emotional Damage
Reactions: Jon
i am of the opinion that not only should players be allowed to bet on their own sports/teams it should be encouraged but only with full transparency. if you want to bet against your own team that’s fine but you’re gonna have to own up to it. at the same time if you bet a thousand bucks on your own team and you lose i see no issue with that. let us sort the game throwers and the ridiculous confidence havers into their separate bins

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
i am of the opinion that not only should players be allowed to bet on their own sports/teams it should be encouraged but only with full transparency. if you want to bet against your own team that’s fine but you’re gonna have to own up to it. at the same time if you bet a thousand bucks on your own team and you lose i see no issue with that. let us sort the game throwers and the ridiculous confidence havers into their separate bins
They should not be allowed to bet on anything they are directly connected to. Anything else calls the integrity of the game into question. Sure you can try to determine if someone tried to throw the game, but did it really impact the outcome? Was it only prop bets? We will never know. They are lot only cheating the fans out of knowing what they are watching is not scripted, but also any money they are betting. It is essentially insider trading/stock manipulation. It also cheats the other players

Royals and Guardians had their first match up this season. Honestly should have expected this. KC takes advantage of CLE's poor starting pitching, CLE takes advantage of KC's poor bullpen.

I think this is going to be a hard fought battle all season between these teams. Hoping some match ups end up on primetime.
Just an awful throwing error by Bobby Witt Jr. costing them three runs on one play when the game was tied. But yeah, the Royals bullpen is a liability. They don't have any dominant strikeout arms, which means close games will be an adventure in the late innings. It will be hard to overcome inevitable regression from the starting pitching that has been excellent in the first two months. Cleveland is going to be tough on them all season.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I like how the Brewers beat the Tigers 10-0 in the opener of that series and then Detroit is winning today 10-1

I haven't been able to watch games, but I am glancing at box scores. Cleveland has been pulling their starters pretty early as of late. Lively yesterday was pulled despite pitching well and only pitching 65 times. Today, Cookie got pulled in the 5th having only thrown 55 pitches. I get that there is no confidence in the starters, but I'm worried about over taxing the bullpen.

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Going to the Royals game this afternoon for the final game of a four game series against the Yankees. The Royals were outscored 25-8 in the first three games. Wish me luck. It's supposed to get up to 95 today, but thankfully our seats should be in the shade.
So you guys are due to beat us 17-0 to call it even

shortkut

idea man
Cuterator
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
How about a 4-3 walk-off win after blowing a 2-0 lead in the 8th?
program choice GIF

rktaker

so the Mets have won 5 games in a row, are 33-37 and are somehow only a game and a half out of the wild card, idk if they can keep this up but if they can in a month they could be buyers, which is not something I would have thought they would be at the beginning of the season. Now all I gotta hope is that the Mets don't get my hopes up which they probably will

Went to Chicago two weeks ago. Saw Wrigley and the abomination the White Sox play in. Wrigley felt so much like Fenway from the way it's built, to the family atmosphere, to the neighborhood feeling just like the back bay in Boston. The White Sox stadium had a cool photo op area outside overlooking the city, but the park was sterile, half empty of concessions and fans, and the vibe just wasn't great. The entrance was like a terrible paved parking garage.

Then we came back to Fenway the next day to see the Savannah Bananas at a sold out game. That was the most fun of all. I also went to a AAA game, so 4 parks in 5 days.

So I've now been to Baltimore, Toronto, Boston, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Chicago (x2). I'll eventually get to NY to do both of those stadiums but neither excite me.

I'm hoping to do two per year going forward. Not sure what is next. For ease of getting to it's either Philly, Cleveland, or DC... but I'd much rather see the California parks just in terms of ballparks. Not sure yet.

PXL_20240606_015048626.jpg
PXL_20240607_014032755.jpg
PXL_20240609_001038491.jpg

rktaker

so was definitely not expecting this turnaround from the Mets, after sweeping the Yankees they are back to .500 for the first time in 50 days. 1 game back of the wild card now which I am still surprised how they've been able to stay so close to the wild card race. we'll see if they can keep it up they have a rough schedule coming up. Not necessarily in terms of strength of schedule but starting tomorrow they have a stretch of 17 games with no off day, then they got the all star break, after the all star break they have *checks notes* TWENTY-TWO GAMES WITH NO OFF DAY

rktaker

Mets are tied for the second wild card spot now, this is insane never thought this would happen with how awful the Mets were two months ago. who would have thought a purple blob from a fast food restaurant would lead the Mets to greatness

You can’t be in the AL East without saying it compulsively throughout the season, though.
That's fair. I did just trade one AL East locale for another.

That said, I am not a real fan of the Rays either. I'm more a D'Backs fan than any other at this point. And even then, It's pretty much "anyone but the Yankees, Dodgers or Astros" for me.

VashTheStampede

Jawneh isn't The Courier
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Woof... I'm tired of hyperbole on the internet and everything is the "best" or "worst" all the time... but god damn. At least Roseanne knew she was going to do terrible and owned it. This was awful, and might be the worst I've ever heard.
Definitely the worst by a "trained singer", but Carl Lewis was worse.

I was trying to have a conversation with Christina and how bad it the singing was totally broke her concentration and took over the moment. Which is wild because Christina is typically a pro at being oblivious to whatever is on TV.

2025 MLB schedule was posted today... problem for me is the Red Sox away opponents are all the stadiums I want to see for my yearly baseball trek. Always have to eat the local foods so I have rankings for which ones I want to visit. Problem is all of them are available this year and I can maybe do 3 of them.

March - New Rangers Stadium (BBQ!!!)
May - Atlanta (Top 10 stadium, Fried chicken I guess?)
June - San Francisco (top stadium, top 5 city, don't care about the cuisine)
July - Philly (easy trip by train, cheesesteak)
July - Minnesota (top 5 stadium, not sure about food)
August - San Diego (best city, 2nd best stadium left on my list, dunno what is good for food. Mexican maybe?)
August - Houston (lots of variety in foods apparently)

Really not sure what to do... I feel like I need to hit the NL ones since they don't happen each year. But cross country flights are no fun.

2025 MLB schedule was posted today... problem for me is the Red Sox away opponents are all the stadiums I want to see for my yearly baseball trek. Always have to eat the local foods so I have rankings for which ones I want to visit. Problem is all of them are available this year and I can maybe do 3 of them.

August - San Diego (best city, 2nd best stadium left on my list, dunno what is good for food. Mexican maybe?)

Really not sure what to do... I feel like I need to hit the NL ones since they don't happen each year. But cross country flights are no fun.
That's a tough choice for sure. I do agree with the NL strategy since they are less common. Maybe go to:

1. One west coast so you don't have to fly cross country twice in the same season. Cool stadium and city experience either way.
2. Either Philly or Atlanta. Both NL and closer than the others.
3. Rangers so you can compare Texas BBQ to KC's. Otherwise do Minnesota for Target Field and the Twin Cities in summertime.

Houston can wait. Sure, the game would be inside, but otherwise who wants to be in Houston in August? Plus they don't have that wacky hill in centerfield anymore. Where's the fun in that?

You hit the nail on the head there. I have been talking to people and figuring this out. Tentative plan right now is:

Texas Rangers - it's the first series of the year, end of March so the weather should be nice in Texas. My brother is going with me like we did to KC, we want to compare BBQ and get cowboy hats. Also maybe rent a truck to feel like we belong. Might tour Cowboys Stadium while we are there, visit Fort Worth, search for Hank Hill and his friends.

Phillies more than likely. It's an easy ride on the accelerated train out of Boston. Last time I saw the Phillies was my trip to Pittsburgh, but Bryce Harper was on the DL.

California trip is probably happening with my wife and kids. She wants to go to San Diego Zoo, my kids want to see California, so this works. I have enough airline points that I can get the flights for free, otherwise I'd say no. There are also cheap flights from San Diego to San Francisco, so I can hit up both ballparks. It would have to be a 6-7 day trip which is not ideal, I like short trips, and we'd need to board the dog for so long...

rktaker

Mets sweep the Yankees again and with that completely sweep the subway series for the year at 4-0 Mets now in the second wild card spot, idk how long this is gonna last but I'm just gonna enjoy the ride for now

turkey

gobble gobble
GW Elder

Is there a Phoenix option?

Back
Top Bottom