• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Multi Watcha playing?

i am a bit of a gacha slut. im currently playing zenless zone zero and ive been playing genshin impact for years. i dont pay for either and i protect my wallet. genshin i am pretty much just doing daily stuff and with zzz im still getting caught up as its still pretty new.

in terms of single player games that arent live action, im on my 3rd playthrough of persona 5 royal.

rktaker

been playing the first descendant it's kind of like a mix of Warframe and Destiny. it's not a great game but I'm having fun with it still, I had been looking to get into warframe but since the game has been going for 11 years I felt it was hard to get into so getting into something that's like it that just came out seemed better to me

VashTheStampede

Jawneh isn't The Courier
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
i love this game so much they did a great job. i have been wanting to pick up the remake of 3 but i havent got around to it so im sticking with 5 for now! nice to see some people with similar taste in games :)
3 is my favorite of the series, and the remake only solidified that decision. But I needed more, so back to Shujin for me.

Planning to follow up with Strikers (I LOVE musou games) and then Tactica (I tolerate tactics RPGs).

3 is my favorite of the series, and the remake only solidified that decision. But I needed more, so back to Shujin for me.

Planning to follow up with Strikers (I LOVE musou games) and then Tactica (I tolerate tactics RPGs).
i want to say 3 is after 5 to me because i havent replayed it in almost 10 years. so i take it the remake holds up well for persona fans?

ive never played strikers or tactica before. im very curious of tactica but it sounds like we have the same opinion of tactical rpgs. the only one i ever beat was disgaea (5? 6?) and i didnt love it but it filled a gap at the time.

VashTheStampede

Jawneh isn't The Courier
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
i want to say 3 is after 5 to me because i havent replayed it in almost 10 years. so i take it the remake holds up well for persona fans?

ive never played strikers or tactica before. im very curious of tactica but it sounds like we have the same opinion of tactical rpgs. the only one i ever beat was disgaea (5? 6?) and i didnt love it but it filled a gap at the time.
Lmao I'm pretty sure the only TRPG I "finished" is the first Disgaea

Smacktard

Connoisseur of fine video games
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Thinking about giving the MGS games a go next year. This gives me hope.
I normally play series in release order. First MGS game I ever played was Twin Snakes, and it was terrible. Glad I jumped right in with MGS5. Ground Zeroes is a nice introduction to some of the mechanics. I recommend starting there before Phantom Pain, because you might otherwise be overwhelmed if you just start with PP.

I'll eventually play the rest of the MGS series... some day.

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Agreed! I missed Nae'blis post -- I just finished playing Ender Lilies last month. Very nice game with some satisfying combat. Wasn't a fan of the art style and movement when watching preview vids, but when playing it felt very natural.

Just a warning -- you're definitely going to want a guide if you go for 100% -- you have to use some crazy hidden techniques for some of them.

Took a while to get into starfield but doing a lot of faction missions and really enjoying it now. Nearly finished the Ryujin line, and already done with crimson fleet, rangers, and vanguard. Think I’ll get back to the main quest after that.

funny y'all mention mgs because the wife and i recently started metal gear solid for the first time recently. we're not very far (i am extremely having to adjust to stealth gameplay which is not my forte. what do you mean you cant just run around and kill everyone willy-nilly?) but i'm enjoying it so far and looking forward to hitting my stride with the rest of the games

recently finished playing kingdom hearts: 358/2 days. liked it a lot! more games should require you to play tetris to level up. i didn't like it better than my fav kh game (birth by sleep) but man does it have a good story and some really funny (and sad) moments

after several months (and twenty years after my first attempt playing this game) i am finally at the final chapter of fire emblem: genealogy of the holy war. wow. what a game. definitely imposing at first but once you get used to its little quirks (the first-turn-of-chapter arena rush, the paradigm-shifting marriage/kids system, the massive fuckoff-huge maps) it's so good.

recently returned to baldur's gate iii where i'm currently hanging out in act 3 finally. fun stuff! monk is so broken.

uhh what else. college football 25 i guess lol.

canadaguy

Poop Head
GW Elder
recently finished playing kingdom hearts: 358/2 days. liked it a lot! more games should require you to play tetris to level up. i didn't like it better than my fav kh game (birth by sleep) but man does it have a good story and some really funny (and sad) moments
During the steam summer sale I picked up some pack that had like all the KH games except 3. Been playing #1 a bit, but movement and combat feels really clunky Imo. Does it get better?

During the steam summer sale I picked up some pack that had like all the KH games except 3. Been playing #1 a bit, but movement and combat feels really clunky Imo. Does it get better?
fwiw the only kh games i've played myself are chain of memories (and its remaster), 358/2 (which is reduced to a cutscene compliation in the KH all in one package unfortunately) and the birth by sleep remaster (great stuff). watched my wife play all the rest

that said, movement/combat is a complete sea change from 1 -> 2. way more fluid, way more things to do, way more control. 3 improves on it even more. 1 is really just a product of its time.

canadaguy

Poop Head
GW Elder
fwiw the only kh games i've played myself are chain of memories (and its remaster), 358/2 (which is reduced to a cutscene compliation in the KH all in one package unfortunately) and the birth by sleep remaster (great stuff). watched my wife play all the rest

that said, movement/combat is a complete sea change from 1 -> 2. way more fluid, way more things to do, way more control. 3 improves on it even more. 1 is really just a product of its time.
That's good news. I will continue to slog through.

Part of me feels a little ripped off if one is just a cutscene compilation, but then I realize I probably don't even have time to finish the mainline games any time soon and I'm like gee that's convenient lol

in the 1.5 + 2.5 remix out of the six games that are "included" there's two that are just cutscene comps (358/2 and re:coded which both came out on ds). the rest is 1, 2, chain of memories (the card battlerrrrrrr) and birth by sleep (my fav)

the 2.8 comp has dream drop distance in full but then instead of a cutscene comp it's the most boring movie you've ever seen that tries to sum up the story of the first (now-defunct) mobile game. there are fandubs of the mobile game cutscenes that are actually pretty good but unless you're sick in the head you don't need to watch those

JOE BIDEN

Most recently I've been playing Sanctuary Shattered Sun. It's essentially Supreme Commander updated for 20245 - and it's E X C E L L E N T.

my game pass expires on 19th September and I’ve decided not to renew it. Starfield took me like 4 months. I could have bought the game for cheaper. I’m going to just start buying cheap games for a while instead but have downloaded Limbo and Hellblade 2 as they’re short. Will try to get through both by then.

funny y'all mention mgs because the wife and i recently started metal gear solid for the first time recently. we're not very far (i am extremely having to adjust to stealth gameplay which is not my forte. what do you mean you cant just run around and kill everyone willy-nilly?) but i'm enjoying it so far and looking forward to hitting my stride with the rest of the games
One of my all time favorite series

after several months (and twenty years after my first attempt playing this game) i am finally at the final chapter of fire emblem: genealogy of the holy war. wow. what a game. definitely imposing at first but once you get used to its little quirks (the first-turn-of-chapter arena rush, the paradigm-shifting marriage/kids system, the massive fuckoff-huge maps) it's so good.

I tried playing this last year, really liked the story and characters. Gameplay is normally solid (but not as good as Shining Force IMO), but it is so SLOW to play. If I want to keep a well rounded and leveled team, it takes forever because of how little ground foot soldiers cover compared to mounted.

recently returned to baldur's gate iii where i'm currently hanging out in act 3 finally. fun stuff! monk is so broken.

Cant wait to replay this in a year or two, finished it earlier this year, loved it

Finished Bloodstained, enjoyed it a lot, but not as good as SotN, the art style is decent to bad at times, and it doesnt have quite the charm, but it is fun to play, and sadly doesnt break as easily

Just started Kingdom Come Deliverance, it is interesting so far, doesnt hold your hand, but definitely a little clumsy at times even with some QOL mods

I tried playing this last year, really liked the story and characters. Gameplay is normally solid (but not as good as Shining Force IMO), but it is so SLOW to play. If I want to keep a well rounded and leveled team, it takes forever because of how little ground foot soldiers cover compared to mounted.
i finally finished it last week! playing it through the delta emulator (so i could cast it to the TV and play using a ps5 controller) let me map the fast forward button to the right trigger which really sped up the gameplay. that said i had to basically give up on keeping my team perfectly well-rounded because the maps are so huge that mounted soldiers are way more efficient

i finally finished it last week! playing it through the delta emulator (so i could cast it to the TV and play using a ps5 controller) let me map the fast forward button to the right trigger which really sped up the gameplay. that said i had to basically give up on keeping my team perfectly well-rounded because the maps are so huge that mounted soldiers are way more efficient

I had fast forward pretty much permanently turned on and I'm to my brain does not work with not having a well-rounded team because at some point I'm getting get into a fight where I need my archers or a Mage and they're going to be too far behind either in level or location.

Would love to see a remake given how popular Fire Emblem has gotten I wouldn't totally rule it out

Would love to see a remake given how popular Fire Emblem has gotten I wouldn't totally rule it out
it seems possible. a leak from several years ago claimed three fire emblem games were simultaneously in development:

- an original “anniversary game” intended to celebrate the series
- a sequel to the warriors spin-off
- an echoes-style remake of an older game

the first one turned out to be engage. the second one turned out to be three hopes. every nintendo direct i wait for the last one to be confirmed. each time i wear my clown makeup

Kingdom Come Deliverance

I am having a blast with it. It doesnt hold your hand, there are a few design and UI issues that bug me, but not enough to ruin the experience. I am also playing on PC with some mods, I'd probably be much more annoyed on consoles.

If you like the open nature of Morrowind, this will probably scratch that itch. It is very immersive and I've enjoyed the characters Ive met along my way

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I'm playing Judgement Silversword on the WonderSwan and holy fuck is it fun. I've never really been into bullet hells. But this one is really good. I never really understood what made one "good" and another "bad". I can't put my finger on it like I can other genres that I'm more familiar with. That's still the case with this game, but it IS really fun... I just don't know why.

I guess I like the fact that there's progression options. Every point you score is added to your total on game over, and increasing your total score unlocks options like starting from a later stage, more lives, more continues, and even eventually power weapons that supposedly trivialize bosses. There's three different difficulty settings. Even "Easy" kicks my ass in later levels, but I'm almost able to get as far on Hard now.

The amount of sprites that can be displayed on the hardware without flickering or slowdown is impressive. There are a couple of bullet hell sections where some slowdown occurs and minimal flickering, but it's still very playable, and the slowdown even serves as a bit of a mercy from the mayhem.

I've finally found some time to do a bit of gaming, and thought I'd play a bit of Avengers just out of curiosity. I've ended up really enjoying it. The gameplay is surprisingly (given the reviews I'd seen) very good. Looking back it seems that the biggest gripe with the game was how grindy and micro transaction filled it was, but since the servers closed all of the cosmetics are automatically unlocked and you get an automatic XP and currency boost which makes progress much smoother. As a result, it is ironically a very good game. I've finished the first campaign now and am doing some extra missions to hit some other achievements. There three other campaigns and a load of other grindy things to do, but I suspect I'll move on to something else soon, just because of how big the backlog is.

I've finally found some time to do a bit of gaming, and thought I'd play a bit of Avengers just out of curiosity. I've ended up really enjoying it. The gameplay is surprisingly (given the reviews I'd seen) very good. Looking back it seems that the biggest gripe with the game was how grindy and micro transaction filled it was, but since the servers closed all of the cosmetics are automatically unlocked and you get an automatic XP and currency boost which makes progress much smoother. As a result, it is ironically a very good game. I've finished the first campaign now and am doing some extra missions to hit some other achievements. There three other campaigns and a load of other grindy things to do, but I suspect I'll move on to something else soon, just because of how big the backlog is.
That's probably for the best. The Avengers game was incomplete because they made it a games-as-a-service game. It failed to get enough players to sustain the model and had to leave the whole thing incomplete. Like a game with a cliffhanger ending and no sequel.

That's probably for the best. The Avengers game was incomplete because they made it a games-as-a-service game. It failed to get enough players to sustain the model and had to leave the whole thing incomplete. Like a game with a cliffhanger ending and no sequel.
I did wonder if the campaigns ultimately round the story off. I enjoyed the first campaign, but unsurprisingly for the type of game that it is it ends with a whole "well, we beat that bad guy, but now there's another one and the fight goes on!". Which is fine, but as you say, if there is no actual end there's probably not much point in playing through the others.

I did wonder if the campaigns ultimately round the story off. I enjoyed the first campaign, but unsurprisingly for the type of game that it is it ends with a whole "well, we beat that bad guy, but now there's another one and the fight goes on!". Which is fine, but as you say, if there is no actual end there's probably not much point in playing through the others.
If you're curious, a YTuber named Austin Eruption did a "I completed this game 100% so you don't have to" video on the game a year or so ago.

As expected from a Crystal Dynamics game, the game play is supposedly pretty solid fun stuff, but because it's an unfinished "live-service" game, it's incomplete.

If you're curious, a YTuber named Austin Eruption did a "I completed this game 100% so you don't have to" video on the game a year or so ago.
Yeah I dipped into that, and I think his conclusion is right, that there's a game worth playing now that the entire game has been given to players. But I can entirely understand why it failed given what else is said in that video.

I just bought the first Sly Cooper game. I didn't realize they were available on modern consoles, so I'm going to start that soon.

I think afterwards, I also want to try the first two Ape Escape games, which are also available to buy. No idea why Ape Escape 2 is marginally cheaper than 1, but all of these games are pretty reasonably priced.

I just bought the first Sly Cooper game. I didn't realize they were available on modern consoles, so I'm going to start that soon.

I think afterwards, I also want to try the first two Ape Escape games, which are also available to buy. No idea why Ape Escape 2 is marginally cheaper than 1, but all of these games are pretty reasonably priced.
Have you played the Ape Escape games before? So many good memories of those, particularly the first on PS1.

I think I'm done now with Avengers after getting a couple of the more obscure achievements. I think Starship Troopers Terran Command will be next. I've also just found out that I'm going to be away from home for four nights the week after next. I do actually prefer being at home, but it's a good excuse to take my Steam Deck with me. Might see if I can mop up the last few achievements I need in Hades.

Back
Top Bottom