The Netherealm

Perhaps not explicitly in this case, no. But I did see Dean voice that he went so hard because he wanted to be the one who proved to Zell/Cole that someone could win by lying as wolf, or whatever. I guess I still inferred an all-game encompassing mindset from that. It might have been something Raposah said that gave me the badge vibe. I have no idea. 🤷🏻‍♂️

But you guys are great, and while I enjoy playing in these, it is a razors edge between satisfaction and frustration. More variety in the games, and not starting the next one before the current has even finished, would benefit everyone.
Well go help give some ideas on my potential The Amazing Race game discussion we have going in the "Post your ideas!" thread

Reactions: Ben

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
But you guys are great, and while I enjoy playing in these, it is a razors edge between satisfaction and frustration. More variety in the games, and not starting the next one before the current has even finished, would benefit everyone.

I can’t help but think that there has to be some kind of way to work around this, though…

A character post spoiler. A fucking safe word like “banana bread”. Something where players can signal to other players that they need to chill, give some space, or whatever, without actually breaking the game.

I can’t help but think that there has to be some kind of way to work around this, though…

A character post spoiler. A fucking safe word like “banana bread”. Something where players can signal to other players that they need to chill, give some space, or whatever, without actually breaking the game.
Sorry, Banana Bread was the defense I gave in my first Mafia trial.

Hey guys, what's going on?

Donald Glover Pizza GIF

Ben

Bingo! Dino DNA.
Badministrator
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
GW Elder
what did you search for to find that? I searched "frick" and it didn't come up as one of the first options.
I'm gonna guess he's a smart guy and just google searched "scrubs frick gif" and uploaded his own. Especially since the filename is 1000009268.gif.

You can do that, you know?

I know we're done here but I wanted to respond to some stuff and then I'll have nothing really left to say about this game besides replies to my stuff. After getting some sleep on it, it's true that yesterday was a very wild and emotional day for some. I had gone into the game thinking that it wasn't going to be so bad for me because like it was mentioned, Cupid is a passenger role more or less, and I could sit back without the fear of being killed and lightly influence the game. I didn't step up and help my couple pretty much ever. I didn't even talk directly to them. I figured TD had some insane 4D plan masterminded and that I would only make it worse if I tried to help.

I made a series of mistakes. First, I revealed myself pretty much right away. My initial thought was "this will prevent anybody from not wanting to lynch out of fear of a Fool being present", but that quickly was realized to be a bad move. I made it harder for my couple to hide.

My second mistake was not claiming another role, like something strong, or something seer related. There would have been no harm in doing that since I could still win with the town or couple by the end of the game. I hadn't even considered fake role claiming and assuming the role of head hunter to push lynches until way later, and by then it was more or less a joke after realizing how late that false claim was. I walked back on it pretty quickly, but also felt I threw a huge wrench in whatever plans were behind the scenes.

My third mistake, ultimately mistake 0, was pairing a wolf and a townie. My intentions on picking Raine and TD were that I truly felt they could win coupled, the first time ever. I didn't realize that I paired a wolf/townie until Day 3/Night 4ish. I PMed Zell about it fearing that I made a bad choice. I knew if this was the case, it was going to get ugly. I didn't think the couple would reveal themselves to the wolves until the end of the game, so reading back on this made me surprised they decided to. And I'm also shocked the wolves (initially) went along with the plan to lose willingly. The Cupid introduces distrust in groups that are meant to be trusted, and it makes the game so much harder for everyone except me. There was a point where I was going to completely out them and name them both, to prevent pretty much exactly the end result we landed on. I knew the wolf/townie combo was deadly with TD involved. I knew there was going to be drama. And I knew I could have prevented it by speaking up and guaranteeing a town win. But alas, I was actually scared to piss TD off from getting the Coupled win. I knew if I let it go while they still had a chance, he might take it personal. So, I didn't understand why so many people were upset at first, but I understand now after reading everyone's feedback. I was more or less guarding TD's feelings rather than helping any team toward victory. I don't regret it, but I do truly understand why this game tripped some fuses. The cupid is designed to put two people together and fuck everyone else over, except me. I had literally no stakes in the game. I could watch myself win or lose. I only realize how much this sucks for the town in retrospect.

Another thing was my response to how Dean handled the game. I didn't realize there was any emotional manipulation going on within people outside of the game, so when I commended Dean on how well he played yesterday, I think that soured some people. I want to be clear that I think Dean played a stellar game and since I was not emotionally impacted, I didn't see anything wrong with what he did. Hell, I believed he was the seer until the game was over, and thought Tubby was the actual last wolf. But people didn't like certain things, and didn't like me congratulating certain behavior. Not naming anyone in particular, but if you were taken aback by that, I apologize. Everyone takes these games differently and some people still carry it with them when they log off. I thought Dean did great with the tools he was given in a game of deception, but at the same time, I empathize with anyone caught off-guard with the technique used and don't like that shit.

Well Tommy has convinced me that Cupid needs to be re-worked. It's advantageous for him to just claim Cupid and perhaps even out his couple.

Need to make it harsher. Maybe the village is required to kill Cupid to win and Cupid can only win if their couple does. Tired of solos claiming.
Agreed. I shouldn't have claimed.
I might make it so that the village has to kill Cupid to win, Cupid must win with their couple, and Cupid dies if their couple dies (but couple doesn't die if Cupid dies). That should be enough.
Yeah I agree, or remove it entirely. Which would gut the NV roles, but maybe it's for the best?
Maybe I'm drunk but I don't see any way the town wins. It's either wolves or cupid couple. Dean's vote overrules TD, so he can kill Tommy tonight to even the odds but continue to outvote the town as wolf team.

It depends whether the town wants to let the wolves or cupid win at this point.
This is my fault. I mean, I obviously wanted the Cupid win too, but when I saw where it was heading, I was ready to just rip the band-aid off and see what happened. But like I said, fear got the best of me and I decided to just see what happened. A passenger with no risk of death. Meh.
there's no way the Cupid trio doesn't win this, right?
lol
They should, unless there is a massive cock up.
lol
Something else that bothered me watching this game. Tommy admitted he was Cupid, thus he is now a townie with a compromised agenda. People just treat the cupid as a normie townie and they are not. They're goal is for the cupid pair to win first and town second. Thus anything Tommy did or said should have been looked at through the eyes of who is he really trying to help.
Agreed. I thought it was fascinating that nobody called me out about never talking to/acknowledging TD or Raine the entire game. Nobody pressed me to reveal my couple at all, either. I was just watching. Anything I said could be in favor of the town or of my couple. At the very least, the town can trust that I'm safe but in reality a more aggressive cupid could really impact the game with no fear of dying. It needs to be reworked or removed, which Zell has already mentioned.
I would like to go on the record that these cupid games are rough. I think a wolf townie combo is the worst combo to end up in. It completely games the game you are playing verses the game everybody else is.
Yeah, I was hoping to avoid it but it is what it is.
The weird thing about these wolf/townie cupid games is its not the solo cupid role that is doing all the mastermind work. They birthed the baby and are now just a passenger. It's the wolf that has access to all the chats that has to do most of the work. I greatly empathize with TD in this game of course.
Eh, I knew he was up for it. He had the time and the guts to mastermind it all. He had like 8 different things going on in his head when I was a wolf with him. So, I knew he would pave a path to victory and have 5 backroads as alternatives. From a points perspective, it would make sense if the couple were awarded the highest amount of points for winning and the cupid got like half or something. But I didn't really care for the points thing in general. The scoreboard is a nice little stats feature but I didn't realize people were that invested in it until this end game.
Welp..
I think this should be the last Cupid appearance
🍻
Cupid is cursed.

Its science
For what I thought would be a relatively harmless game, it turned out to be nuclear. You knew when you posted the Oppenheimer meme. I knew shortly before that point that either Raine or TD was a wolf. The rest was just being a passenger. I felt that I had done a decent job in this game until I read this thread. So, I pretty much agree with a lot of the points here, and again want to reiterate that I feel pretty bad at how bad people feel (lol). I apologize that I was a deviled Cupid and fucked some shit up. I know it's not directly my fault, but I contributed to the chain reaction here.

TLDR: You're all my friends and I love playing with all of you. I support anyone on either side of the fence here. There are no sides, really. Some got a little too invested for the wrong reasons, but the most important thing out of any of this is our community being okay. If these games are tearing us up at the seams, maybe it isn't a bad idea to figure out what's best going forward. Or just eliminate the role that seems to fuck a lot of emotions up in the game. I just hope that anyone who walked away from this a little chipped is alright. I'm here for you. I wish the end game was not so... devisive, but in the end, I cherish and respect each and every one of you, and know we will move on from this one towards a better place.

Come On Reaction GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

JK JK Tommy you did nothing wrong with the hand you were dealt

And I would have given SERIOUS consideration to making that same pairing.
I would not have made that pairing because I would expect one or both to be targeted by night 2. Got lucky, from a game standpoint, that TD was a wolf

Warning: Frayed nerves and zero filter.

No, and in fact Vash tried to get me to use a fruit in a sentence so I spent part of the day trying to get people to say fruits. I did eventually get TD to say "strawberry" but Vash missed it :facepalm
In this pit I (we?) have been sitting in for the last 24 hours, I... really appreciate and adore how genuinely stupid this is.

And I mean that sincerely, and wish the entirety of all of our wolf games were just this endearing and fun. Like a broken game of telephone with people trying to pass one another messages, and shitposting, and all that jazz. With our murderer being the one to finally receive the message, have no idea what to do with it, and then bludgeoning us to death with it.

That's what I figured. Doesn't make sense to keep it on anyone else, and Tubby's beast hunter shenanigans from one of the first games I played probably still has him scarred lmao
The problem with predictably trapping yourself is that your trap will typically never spring. The exception being if nobody knows there is a BH in the game and you claim marksman or something. If you go random you can protect two people: Yourself, who the wolves would never dare attack, and wherever your trap is.
From my perspective, I can't think of any real reason the trap shouldn't have been on Tommy. He's a known "villager," the wolves will want him dead if his team is Town/Town or Town/Wolf, and from a village perspective it doesn't matter which wolves die or when.

Based on actual comments @Tubby23 made, also, the scenario where it's on Kat - because he said he would literally not vote for Kat in Day 3/4-ish - is also very possible. And finally, you can't discount it being on the Beast Hunter itself.

Launching an attack after the singular kill on either Vash or Benzine to secure vote supremacy is a rookie mistake that should result in loss more often than not. It is only through blind luck that this was not actually the case. The same applies to the Loudmouth/Avenger consideration as well.

Benzine saw Tommy Boy and TD (useful, but does he have enough cred to push TD?)
Absolutely stunned this was legitimate.

Raine did just enough to stay out of prime sus range, but looking from the sidelines definitely was playing way differently from normal. Maybe that should've caused some questions at some point. As well as only ever visiting Kat? Don't think she did anything else.
This isn't a personal thing Jawneh, just a springboard.

But I am now under the impression that if I'm not a raging jackass with zero subtlety that nothing I say sticks. I very blatantly cleared Benzine, I very blatantly cleared Kelly (and then walked it back/muddied it), and I very blatantly cleared Kat. I never have that many posts, it's not hard to track them down and skim through them, I wasn't being particularly obtuse about it.

And still everyone and their mother kept gunning for Benzine and Kat, for reasons I cannot comprehend. No one questioned my claim despite knowing I constantly lie about it, nobody that thought Benzine/Kat were wolves thought to include me in their suspicions. :shrug

TD is too calculated. They discussed this.
Nope. I was left to my own devices for 90% of the game, doing my own thing at my own pace. We chatted and compared notes on roles, nothing too in-depth. He never told me who the wolves were, never really shared the wolves' plans with me, just relied on me for support.

I guess at the end of the day, they didn't even have to be shady about their voting block. They could have just voted together from the get go and it would have been the same result. Maybe 1 member wasn't completely on board? More like they where just trying to leave their options open I guess.
Tommy obviously didn't know what was going on and would just vote with his pair when it seemed like it was time. For my part I wanted to see if anyone could be swayed, because that was really the only way a Cupid win would be viable without blatant betrayal. Before everything fell apart, failing convincing the town to self-immolate, the only options were to reward Dean for being a good kid and playing along if he cooperated or handing the town the win if he didn't.

And Dean was, of course, was spinning his wheels. Being an empath is a fucking bitch.

TD probably killed me not because I let slip I was sheriff, but because I told him I was sus of Raine while jailed with him
I'm sus by nature, it's not really something I worry about.

They already knew you were the Sheriff from a prior check, and that was +1 kill - so there was no way he wasn't taking the shot. Trying to find the Warden in the immediate aftermath was also probably a larger contributing factor than your suspicions of me. :chuckle

Also, did nobody else find it suspicious that Raine was trying to avoid posting and was still alive?
I never avoided posting? See above about people having a weird perception/misconception of me. Saturdays are low activity days because that's the only full non-holiday day I get with my fiancee, and I have fairly predictable work and social life. ~20 minutes in the morning, ~30 minutes for lunch, 3~4 hours at night. That's it.

If there's a lot to read, and there was, then I'm going to have fewer posts than "normal" (which is still probably only around 20), but I'm still playing insofar that I'm reading. You just won't see it unless you hover over my profile. And I always prioritize reading and responding to @mentions and quotes. :tease

Yeah but they can pick out townies until they have the largest voting block then lynch him themselves. If they hit tubby with a night kill, the couple is gone and then Dean is outvoted. He cannot win
Even someone in the dead thread agrees with the assessment I land on, so... yes. This is what should have happened. Blindly firing off night attacks is a Bad Idea™.

So kill Kat/Vash tonight. Lynch Dean tomorrow. TD kills Kat/Vash. Lynch Tubby.
I didn't really have a proper chance to speak with TD yesterday, and TD's mind was... obviously elsewhere. Should've been something like:

Kill Vash/Benzine at night (PC: 7) - If trap is sprung, town wins.
Lynch Benzine/Vash during the day (PC: 6)
No night kill
Lynch Tubby (PC: 5)
No night kill (if attack is made: Trap/Avenger consideration)
Lynch Tommy/Dean (PC: 4) - Wolf win
No night kill
Lynch Kat (if Kat is Avenger, TD+Raine/Dean or TD+Raine/Tommy die) - Cupid win

She dispises the blind wolf and had said before and in this game as well that if one pops up she wouldn't be playing super involved. Which is a shame, but she's free to do that.
Correct, and that was still the plan prior to the Cupid coupling. I was 100% either going to play this exactly how I did (except with basically zero reading), or I was going to blatantly claim Detective and dare you folks to actually believe me.

I functionally played this game as a townie/Red Lady, minus the downplaying/ignoring of Tommy and Dean. If you find anything suspect about that, you will definitely kill me as an actual townie/Red Lady.

And I wasn't lying in the slightest about why I hate that role.

Game 2 - Jailer (Strong)
Game 3 - Guardian Wolf
Game 6 - Berserk Werewolf
Game 7 - Ritualist (Strong)
Game 8 - Warden (Strong)
Game 9 - Jailer (Strong)
Game 10 - Ritualist (Strong)
Game 11 - Detective (Strong)

I don't count getting lynched by the village as targeting especially since I think there have only been two mislynches in the Zell wolf games (Tubby in the Beast Hunter game, and Raine as a completely provable role that she never claimed)
Me getting "mislynched" wasn't a mistake, if you're referring to the recent game. The alternative was far worse, and the town should have learned from that. :tease

I am more than willing to be the always first night kill for wolf games. Only playing when some dumb person who can revive dead people brings me into the real game.
I feel personally called out challenged by this.

And I love that osmosis or Vash's wolf-fueled night terrors (or both) has perhaps led to it happening. 😂

They have to kill off Tubby because his trap is the only way the village can win.
I do want to add because of the delay in moving a trap for the beastmaster, I think their set trap should remain even after they die.
I have always been under the impression that it remains in place, and if it does not it's probably best the game ended like this (sans TD leaving) because I would have pitched a fit about it.

If the trap doesn't stay post-death, the entire role is literal gutter trash and needs to be deleted. No jokes; dead serious.

This game wants me to be a massive asshole and I don't wanna be that guy
The thing I learned about playing this game is that:
Most of the emotional appeals in Wolf are complete bullshit kabuki theatre.
Pretty much. What we're currently doing here is working to remove any and all credibility for anything anyone says.

Working a lot and barely keeping up? Fucking liar, lynching you. Kid got sick and you missed a day? You literally don't even have a child, shut up. Thread opened and closed at ungodly fucking hours and you literally weren't around? Well clearly you're evil and shouldn't have signed up, you ain't contributing, why are you even here?

If that's the way y'all wanna go with it, I mean, knock yourselves out. You're counting the days before the games stop outright from a lack of participation though. With or without the hurt feelings. :shrug

Raine is still playing the game
I... was not. :( I have never, and will never, actually attack someone or make super emotional appeals for an in-game strategy.

If emotions are involved, 100% of the time, something is wrong and it's not game-related. Perhaps I didn't make it clear enough with all the deleting and rewriting, but, I wasn't at all playing the game when I returned home yesterday.

Yeah, I combed through the thread and beyond what I saw… it almost seemed as if it either spilled over from a private conversation or another game, because the whole ordeal escalated kinda quickly.
I have now read the transcript (in the day thread), and I believe I was right about the empathy thing. You can see the exact moment the shift in attitude happens, and that was invariably exacerbated by the IRL situation. Which he probably dwelled and stewed on for a while, got prodded in the day thread, and fully spiraled. :(

And I would have given SERIOUS consideration to making that same pairing.
True story: TD and I have a tendency to chat in PMs between games, or during games where one of us is dead and the other isn't playing, or whatever. Not in any way that could ever influence the other's opinion on what's going on, if relevant. Just... candidly and openly doing our thing.

Apparently a couple of people have recently made the Cupid comment about us because everyone views our banter/Ride or Die shtick as an open alliance and not two people holding one another at knife point. :rofl So we actually had a long chat about how utterly ridiculous it would be if someone actually did it to us, how long we thought it would take for us to get killed off, what our ideal (actual) role combinations would look like. Again, just being a couple of clowns having a go.

...And then it actually fucking happened. We had no idea which of y'all did it - you (Vash), Jon and Tommy were front-runners before Tommy just spilled the beans - mostly because we figured everyone could conceivably go for it (if they wanted to not win lol).

Jawneh

Full-time time waster
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
This isn't a personal thing Jawneh, just a springboard.
I think why I said that was because at the time I didn't think you necessarily knew about the blind wolf yet and there wasn't any indepth or semi indepth analysis of folks' voting habits, which tends to be your bread and butter no matter the situation otherwise. As far as I saw, most if not everyone were telegraphing their votes by posting as well. Hence why I thought you were odd at the time.

Nah we're all having fun
And to be crystal clear, no irony or caveats or sarcasm or [various other words]: This is all that matters, and all anyone wants for the members of our community.

Also part of why I wanted to sit out for a while, because fixating and obsessing and fretting is what I do and I usually need a decent break between big(ger) games. If y'all are jonesing to jump right back into the fray, then you should absolutely do that and have fun. Uh, holiday travel and such notwithstanding of course.

And to be crystal clear, no irony or caveats or sarcasm or [various other words]: This is all that matters, and all anyone wants for the members of our community.

Also part of why I wanted to sit out for a while, because fixating and obsessing and fretting is what I do and I usually need a decent break between big(ger) games. If y'all are jonesing to jump right back into the fray, then you should absolutely do that and have fun. Uh, holiday travel and such notwithstanding of course.
Yup, I was being sincere.

George Costanza Seinfeld GIF

Back
Top Bottom