• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

The Hockey Thread

canadaguy

Poop Head
GW Elder

Yeeeeeeeesssssssss

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder

Yeeeeeeeesssssssss
Aww ❤️

canadaguy

Poop Head
GW Elder
Im Ready Lets Go GIF by Mashed

canadaguy

Poop Head
GW Elder
So, apparently stick punches are completely legal....

We need to remember this series contains both the thing Gary Bettman loves and the thing Bettman hates.

Loves: a deep south USA team where 95% of the population doesn't care about hockey

Hates: a Canadian team doing well

We need to remember this series contains both the thing Gary Bettman loves and the thing Bettman hates.

Loves: a deep south USA team where 95% of the population doesn't care about hockey

Hates: a Canadian team doing well
Oh, there's no question about it, the league wants Florida to win. Especially with the fallout of Arizona moving, the league feels they NEED Florida to win. Keeping these teams successful is top priority, otherwise Florida's attendance goes back to looking like this.

1717968244386.png

So, apparently stick punches are completely legal....

He likes targeting team captains too. That's how he took Marchand out. Thankfully McDavid wasn't hurt.

I really wish someone would karmically take his ass out...

Some bad news I should mention. The Washington Capitals are set to purchase CapFriendly, and the site will be shuttered effective as of July.

That's ridiculous... that site is great for fans. Why on Earth would it bother them so much they need to shut it down?

He likes targeting team captains too. That's how he took Marchand out. Thankfully McDavid wasn't hurt.

I really wish someone would karmically take his ass out...
Make no mistake about it, the intention was to take McDavid out of the equation. Without him, the Oilers would be in a very tough spot. But yeah, if Florida wants to play that game, then it should be tit for tat. If they want to deal out the punishment, then they should be prepared to take it. Like Newton's Law states, for every action there is a reaction.

That's ridiculous... that site is great for fans. Why on Earth would it bother them so much they need to shut it down?
Just like when Vegas did the same thing to General Fanager. It makes no sense to shut down an incredibly useful resource that keeps tabs on player salaries. That (Cap Friendly) site also recently listed out the NBA salaries and imo, that's the best one I've ever come across. We're gonna lose that too. :(

Reactions: Jon
Just like when Vegas did the same thing to General Fanager. It makes no sense to shut down an incredibly useful resource that keeps tabs on player salaries. That (Cap Friendly) site also recently listed out the NBA salaries and imo, that's the best one I've ever come across. We're gonna lose that too. :(
That was an incredibly useful source for fantasy. Knowing players salary situations in terms of years and guaranteed money is huge in determining what the team thinks of a player.

That was an incredibly useful source for fantasy. Knowing players salary situations in terms of years and guaranteed money is huge in determining what the team thinks of a player.
It was hands down the best one out there. It was THE successor to the original site, CapGeek, which had shut down due to the owner, Matthew Wuest being diagnosed with a terminal illness. It was meant to be a dedication to his memory & life's work, to be the resource as he intended CapGeek to be.

And now it's gone. I'm very disappointed in both the Washington Capitals organization and the people who sold CF to an entity they should've known would shut them down.

canadaguy

Poop Head
GW Elder
Make no mistake about it, the intention was to take McDavid out of the equation. Without him, the Oilers would be in a very tough spot. But yeah, if Florida wants to play that game, then it should be tit for tat. If they want to deal out the punishment, then they should be prepared to take it. Like Newton's Law states, for every action there is a reaction.
I mean for a player of his talent level, McDavid can generally stick up pretty well for himself. But the Oilers need someone to step up and let Florida know that isn't going to be tolerated.

Back in their heyday, if someone pulled that with Gretzky, Semenko would give them back ten fold.

I mean for a player of his talent level, McDavid can generally stick up pretty well for himself. But the Oilers need someone to step up and let Florida know that isn't going to be tolerated.

Back in their heyday, if someone pulled that with Gretzky, Semenko would give them back ten fold.
Same thing happened in Boston though. Marchand was literally punched in the face, neither the league or his teammates did anything about it. I waited the rest of the series to see Maroon just take a run at Bennett. Nothing came.

Same thing happened in Boston though. Marchand was literally punched in the face, neither the league or his teammates did anything about it. I waited the rest of the series to see Maroon just take a run at Bennett. Nothing came.
Let's not forget when Sam Bennett crosschecked Charlie Coyle right into Swayman. Right in front of the officials and not only was it not called a penalty, but it resulted in a goal against the Bruins.

Right then and there should've been the final straw, the moment where you say fuck it and give Florida a taste of their medicine.

Let's not forget when Sam Bennett crosschecked Charlie Coyle right into Swayman. Right in front of the officials and not only was it not called a penalty, but it resulted in a goal against the Bruins.

Right then and there should've been the final straw, the moment where you say fuck it and give Florida a taste of their medicine.
Oh, I hadn't forgotten. lol

Oh, I hadn't forgotten. lol
It's the kind of play that could result in a goalie getting hurt down the line. Same can be said for the hit Sam gave McDavid in the face. One of these days, someone's gonna get badly injured. The more the league lets these dirty plays fly, the more it encourages players to goon it up.

Now I'm seeing why we might see a potential return to the enforcer era. You're gonna need someone to stick up for your star players if the league won't do jack shit about it.

And I hate saying that because I know for a damn fact it won't do anything to solve the problem, but rather add to it. At the same time though, the fact the league isn't doing anything puts you at a crossroads. Like, what the hell are we gonna do if the league isn't going to take action. I can eventually see someone pulling a Pavel Bure and taking matters into their own hands. Soon enough, something's gotta give.

And I hate saying that because I know for a damn fact it won't do anything to solve the problem, but rather add to it. At the same time though, the fact the league isn't doing anything puts you at a crossroads. Like, what the hell are we gonna do if the league isn't going to take action. I can eventually see someone pulling a Pavel Bure and taking matters into their own hands. Soon enough, something's gotta give.
Bring back Marty McSorley and the stick chop!

canadaguy

Poop Head
GW Elder
It's the kind of play that could result in a goalie getting hurt down the line. Same can be said for the hit Sam gave McDavid in the face. One of these days, someone's gonna get badly injured. The more the league lets these dirty plays fly, the more it encourages players to goon it up.

Now I'm seeing why we might see a potential return to the enforcer era. You're gonna need someone to stick up for your star players if the league won't do jack shit about it.
I mean when you have George fucking Parros running the department of player safety, the fuck else do you expect?

canadaguy

Poop Head
GW Elder
In other news, what are they putting in the water in North Van?

Bedard last year and by all accounts Celebrini this year 1st overall

Back
Top Bottom