• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Discussion Tavern: Sleeping Giant

Status
Not open for further replies.

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
Your action and bonus action can come in any order.

Whether or not you can heal as a bonus action depends on the way you're trying to heal. Bardic Inspiration is a bonus action.
This is what appears under my bonus actions, Healing Word appears there - so that could be used?

What kind of rolls (if any) do you do for bonus actions?
1000010198.jpg

VashTheStampede

Jawneh is possibly The Sorcerer
So, it varies depending on the bonus action.

If you use Bardic Inspiration, then whoever is inspired can choose to use it on a roll when they wish (within 10 in-game minutes). They would add 1d6 to whichever roll they choose.

For Healing Word, you would roll 1d4 and add your spellcasting modifier (in your case, CHA, so +4) and that's how much HP the target regains.

• Cheers!
Reactions: TD

TD

Cool - thanks. One final question, for now - is there an equivalent of like mana/mp?

I see Bardic Inspiration has 4 boxes which I assume means that can be used 4 times but I need to long rest to reset.

VashTheStampede

Bards get Bardic Inspiration charges equal to their spellcasting modifier. Your CHA modifier is 4, so you get 4 charges, which recharge on a long rest. As you get more powerful, you'll be able to recharge them on a short rest.

We don't use MP or Mana in D&D, we use "Spell Slots".

If you pull up your character on Beyond, on the right hand side of the character sheet you can select "Spells". This will show you what spells you have available.

Anything that is a Cantrip can be used as many times as you want, as these are spells that you are so talented at that it doesn't cost you anything to cast them.

At this point you have 2 1st Level spell slots. That means you can cast 1st level spells twice between long rests. This can be the same spell twice, or a combination of 2 different spells.

You gain more spell slots and higher level spells as you get stronger.

• Cheers!

TD

Thank you. Just to confirm my understanding..

1000010199.jpg

This would mean Mage Hand and Vicious Mockery can be used as many times as I want, but I only get two uses to choose between Detect Magic, Faerie Fire, Healing Word, and Heroism?

...and what are long rests?

Sorry for all the questions.

VashTheStampede

Looks like you've got a good grasp of the magic system.

You rest to feel better. Just like real life.

A "short rest" is like taking a break for like an hour. Basically you're hanging out, taking a breather. Maybe some light reading, eating, drinking, tending to wounds. You can roll hit dice to regain some HP. You have 1 Hit Die per level, and the type of die is based on your class. As a Level 1 Bard, you currently have 1d8 hit dice. On a short rest you can roll 1d8 + CON to regain HP.

On Beyond this is handled by clicking the Short Rest button above your character sheet.

A "long rest" is basically like ending your day. A long rest lasts like 8 hours, 6 of which must be spent sleeping. During a Long Rest you regain all lost HP and half of your Hit Dice. Typically you also regain all your spent spell slots (Warlocks get theirs back on a short rest IIRC).

• Cheers!

TD

Thank you. Just to confirm my understanding..

View attachment 7367

This would mean Mage Hand and Vicious Mockery can be used as many times as I want, but I only get two uses to choose between Detect Magic, Faerie Fire, Healing Word, and Heroism?

...and what are long rests?

Sorry for all the questions.
Are hit rolls required on these? Confused by how some HIT/DC has a stat req and others are blank.

I'm going to pull my spell list because I have 1 of each.
Sacred Flame is a Dex save of 13. Meaning the enemy rolls and if they get a 13 or better they make the save. Sometimes even if they make a save, you will still do some damage of effect. You'll have to read each spell to see. With sacred flame I get nothing.
Guiding Bolt on the other hand is a spell attack. My spell attack modifier is 5 which is why mine shows +5. I roll a D20 add 5 and if that beats the AC of what Im attacking it hits and I roll the damage of of 4 d6.
1000001243.jpg
Looking at your list, TD, you just have saving throws. So you would say I cast sacred flame. I have a spell save of dex 13. Vash rolls the mosters d20 to see if it saves. If it doesn't, you get to roll damage and/or it gets the effect.

• Wanna Cookie?

TD

Looking at your list, TD, you just have saving throws. So you would say I cast sacred flame. I have a spell save of dex 13. Vash rolls the mosters d20 to see if it saves. If it doesn't, you get to roll damage and/or it gets the effect.
So hypothetically if on my next turn I were to use Vicious Mockery on a Goblin, I'd announce it first, Vash rolls for wis 14, and tells me if I roll again for damage/effect.. would that be the correct way to do it?

And Bardic Inspiration has no dice, so I just say I use it?

So hypothetically if on my next turn I were to use Vicious Mockery on a Goblin, I'd announce it first, Vash rolls for wis 14, and tells me if I roll again for damage/effect.. would that be the correct way to do it?

And Bardic Inspiration has no dice, so I just say I use it?
I would think you announce you want to use vicious mockery and roll for damage. If the goblin rolls above a 14, vash will reduce or ignore the damage dealt to the goblin appropriately

• I Always Feel Like...

VashTheStampede

I would think you announce you want to use vicious mockery and roll for damage. If the goblin rolls above a 14, vash will reduce or ignore the damage dealt to the goblin appropriately
in "normal" D&D you would declare Vicious Mockery, I'd make my save attempt roll then let you know if it hits, then you'd roll damage.

In this format, your order of events would be more efficient

TD

yep

Preferably with some flavor to explain how you've inspired them (through your bardic actions). But you don't have to if you don't want.
So question about flavour..

I read in the combat thing that actions are like six seconds but I was planning on adding flavour like you suggested.

I assume this just means no massive rants but a quip of dialogue or.. a brief song may be okay? (Like 4 lines)

T'anks Kiraine

Chief Liquid Officer, Shitposting Dept.
98a7eeeb-4f45-4f31-be2b-a28675793718_text.gif

I'M SORRY RPGs BRING OUT THE WORST IN MEEE

• This Is Fine

VashTheStampede

With a "finesse" weapon like a short sword you get to choose whether to use your STR or your DEX modifier. +3 from DEX and then +2 from your Proficiency modifier, which is the part that I ALWAYS forget to add, is where you're getting +5 to hit.

I'm rusty.

With a "finesse" weapon like a short sword you get to choose whether to use your STR or your DEX modifier. +3 from DEX and then +2 from your Proficiency modifier, which is the part that I ALWAYS forget to add, is where you're getting +5 to hit.

I'm rusty.
So since my strength modifier is only +1, I should use the +3 and +2 from my proficiency to have a +5 on all my attacks from now on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom