• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Discussion Tavern: Sleeping Giant

Status
Not open for further replies.

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
Prone: Sometimes you fall down. This is called being prone. When prone you have disadvantage on attack rolls, and attacks against you from within 5 feet of distance are at advantage. Attacks against you from MORE than 5 feet away have disadvantage. You can drop prone without spending any movement, but it takes half of your speed's worth of movement to stand back up. While prone, the only movement you can make is to either crawl or magically teleport. Crawling costs 2 feet of speed for each foot moved...but in difficult terrain would cost 3.
Can you help me understand when prone may be a good idea? Or is it generally not?

Just trying to figure out the best usage of my shell defense.

VashTheStampede

Jawneh is possibly The Sorcerer
Prone is USUALLY a bad thing, but ranged attacks against a prone creature are made at disadvantage.

"GET DOWN, MR PRESIDENT" being a solid technique against gunfire and all.

Reactions: TD

T'anks Kiraine

Chief Liquid Officer, Shitposting Dept.
All I can imagine is the field day cats would have with that set. Like I don't even hate it - obviously would prefer different colors but then it's not lettuce lol - just... yeah. :chuckle

Anyway I've been having Great Ideas™ since I first saw my prompt. Not really sure how it'll turn out, or if it's strictly rule compliant, but I mean that's never really stopped me from attempting shenanigans before. I'll be with you gentlemen shortly.

T'anks Kiraine

I should sincerely hope Vash understands, but for the rest of y'all:

(1m55s if that doesn't anchor properly)

...So no, no I'm not sure T'anks is a thirst trap. Unless you're into that, in which case. Uh. More power to you. :rofl

• Hmm

TD

I can't help but overthink the implications of you sharing the Sea Mother's Tale while Tortle Dude over there trying to get unclean.

:chuckle

VashTheStampede

@Raine somehow I missed this previously, but you are missing some spells that you should have from your chosen class.

At level 1, bards have 2 cantrips and 4 known level 1 spells. I see you have Thaumaturgy as a cantrip but that's from your race. So you should have 3 total cantrips.

You rolled the perfect character type.
Mixed Martial Arts Sport GIF by UFC

VashTheStampede

@VashTheStampede

...do we/can we use skills during battle like kut just did?
So usually the way it works is something like

Rogue: Can I try and climb up the hill a ways to get a better vantage point so I can sneak attack the Boss?

DM: Hm. Give me an acrobatics or athletics check.

But I understand shortkut doing it the way he is because of the forum format we're using. If I don't agree with his specific check attempt, I can redirect or ignore it, like I did with the Persuasion attempt in his most recent turn. Or I could use his acrobatics roll as an athletics roll if I think that's more fitting. That kind of thing.

TD

Rogue: Can I try and climb up the hill a ways to get a better vantage point so I can sneak attack the Boss?

But I understand shortkut doing it the way he is because of the forum format we're using. If I don't agree with his specific check attempt, I can redirect or ignore it, like I did with the Persuasion attempt in his most recent turn. Or I could use his acrobatics roll as an athletics roll if I think that's more fitting. That kind of thing.
Oh cool, didn't realize you could do this!

So for example, I could've tried Stealth maybe when trying to creep up?

I mean, my other rolls sucked so it wouldn't have made a difference but just so I know moving forward.

Thanks for explaining . I was trying to be creative and save time by doing what I thought were the necessary rolls before you asked for them

If you want me to just say what I want to do and then you tell me if I need to roll and what it is, I don’t mind. You’re the DM, so whatever makes it easier for you

T'anks Kiraine

@Raine somehow I missed this previously, but you are missing some spells that you should have from your chosen class.

At level 1, bards have 2 cantrips and 4 known level 1 spells. I see you have Thaumaturgy as a cantrip but that's from your race. So you should have 3 total cantrips.
Hmm... yeah none of this means anything to me! I clicked around a bit before and didn't see anything, so I assumed Tiefling Bard was just a support wimp at lv1. :chuckle

Lemme poke around a bit more! Uno momento and all that!

T'anks Kiraine

...Oh. Oh.

See in FFXI you have to quest/purchase scrolls and learn your stuff that way so I ignored this honking list before because it says "learn" and clearly I ain't done nothin' so ain't got no scrolls. Damn you, Square!

@VashTheStampede Is uh... is everything on this list fair game? This could take more than a moment. 👀

well_shit.png

VashTheStampede

...Oh. Oh.

See in FFXI you have to quest/purchase scrolls and learn your stuff that way so I ignored this honking list before because it says "learn" and clearly I ain't done nothin' so ain't got no scrolls. Damn you, Square!

@VashTheStampede Is uh... is everything on this list fair game? This could take more than a moment. 👀

View attachment 8447
I'm away from my books and pc right now but those LOOK right.

T'anks Kiraine

@VashTheStampede Back over here for a spell before bed. "Seeing" might be a sticking point here? The briars are three-quarter cover, so technically T'anks can see both of them? But would her Bard stuff - say, Vicious Mockery - be subject to more traditional restrictions that weren't applied to Thaumaturgy that's more "this general vicinity" in nature? Like does that need more direct line of sight akin to kut's arrows and Jumpy's EB (hence their movements)? Although the Boss just leveled her through it so maybe not... 🤔

VashTheStampede

@VashTheStampede Back over here for a spell before bed. "Seeing" might be a sticking point here? The briars are three-quarter cover, so technically T'anks can see both of them? But would her Bard stuff - say, Vicious Mockery - be subject to more traditional restrictions that weren't applied to Thaumaturgy that's more "this general vicinity" in nature? Like does that need more direct line of sight akin to kut's arrows and Jumpy's EB (hence their movements)? Although the Boss just leveled her through it so maybe not... 🤔
They don't have full cover so you can see them. Vicious Mockery specifically would not be under any restrictions because the target needs to pass a Wisdom save and cover only helps with AC and Dexterity saves I believe.

TD

I don't know if you can answer this but is it generally a better idea to use healing spells outside of battle to heal up the party or rest?

Mechanically speaking what are the implications of both.

VashTheStampede

Obviously there's different schools of thought to this but my personal opinion is that in-battle heals are best used on players who are in immediate threat of death (i.e. already downed and facing death saves).

I've always thought that your spells during battle should be for causing and preventing damage, and then healing spells are for outside of battle.

Takes a bit to get out of the MMO mindset of party construction. D&D (at least in its current incarnation) isn't as much about tank/healer/DPS.

• Cheers!
My understanding of using healing spells is to use them on somebody with 0 heal. This will stabilize so they don't die die and or you may be able to bring them back into the battle.

Using them on people who have just taken damage and are not lying on the floor making saving throws has a high upside of being a waste of your spell slot and/or action. You heal somebody and theirs a good chance their AC protects them for the rest of the fight and you all take a long rest that heals you up. That's a wasted spell that could have done damage and ended the fight sooner.

• Cheers!

TD

Thanks for the clarification both of you! I really appreciate this.

Takes a bit to get out of the MMO mindset of party construction. D&D (at least in its current incarnation) isn't as much about tank/healer/DPS.
This helps me a lot as I've been approaching it kind of like an MMORPG as that's what I know.

Trying to shift more to what D&D play looks like.

TD

I'd say maybe you shouldn't miss but clearly I have no room to talk.

What Dude was actually doing during sword training:
turtle falling GIF

T'anks Kiraine

Thankfully not! Should I?

...But when I was Googling "cute spider" earlier I got a face full of DeviantArt.

I mean I'm not really complaining, I'm just saying. :giggle

• I Always Feel Like...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom