• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Campaign Stormwreck Isle; Sacrifices Must Be Made (1-5)

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
((After that, this Stormrender fight better be fucking epic, Ben!))
((
Angry Schitts Creek GIF by CBC
))

• Crossarms
Reactions: Jon

Magni Kragtail

Smart fella by day, fart smella by night
((I've never leveled up a character that I actually use on DNDB. Is it going to heal me or something if I were to do it now? Not sure how it handles the whole hit dice thing))

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
Thank you, Short Order

Kutshort helps search the bodies and battlefield for useful weapons, armor, items, and clues

((Let me know if I need to roll anything))
Quoted Image
Cataloguing the items of the legion you slaughtered, you find;
  1. 1 Chain hook.
  2. 1 Pilum
  3. 2 Gladius Swords; 1 is damaged beyond use, 1 is functional.
  4. 14 Shields; 2 are damaged beyond use, 12 are functional.
  5. 3 Chain shirts; 1 is damaged beyond use, 2 are functional.
  6. A total of 100gp, 200sp and 500cp carried in various pouches.
  7. 3 blue gemstones.
  8. 1 Crude Map that seems to show this clearing and the trap placement.
  9. 2 Small tribal totems.
  10. Assorted rings, earrings and necklaces made from bones, teeth and semi-precious stones.
  11. 1 Scroll of Burning Hands.

((I've never leveled up a character that I actually use on DNDB. Is it going to heal me or something if I were to do it now? Not sure how it handles the whole hit dice thing))
((It shouldn't force-heal you if you level up, but if the party wants to take a long-rest anyway then it'd be a moot point.))

Quoted Image
Cataloguing the items of the legion you slaughtered, you find;
  1. 1 Chain hook.
  2. 1 Pilum
  3. 2 Gladius Swords; 1 is damaged beyond use, 1 is functional.
  4. 14 Shields; 2 are damaged beyond use, 12 are functional.
  5. 3 Chain shirts; 1 is damaged beyond use, 2 are functional.
  6. A total of 100gp, 200sp and 500cp carried in various pouches.
  7. 3 blue gemstones.
  8. 1 Crude Map that seems to show this clearing and the trap placement.
  9. 2 Small tribal totems.
  10. Assorted rings, earrings and necklaces made from bones, teeth and semi-precious stones.
  11. 1 Scroll of Burning Hands.

((It shouldn't force-heal you if you level up, but if the party wants to take a long-rest anyway then it'd be a moot point.))
((I’ll keep a shield in my pack. Is anything useful for me? Would the chain shirt be something I can wear and would it be an upgrade if I can? Can a rogue use a gladius sword?

How do we divide the riches?))

Kutshort inspects the totems, gem stones, and jewelry to see if they have any extra properties ((what should I role))

Zesty Zapcrackle

Diplomatic Immunity
((I wouldn't mind a shield myself as I can wield it in my offhand. I'd like to know the stats on the gladius sword in case it's better than the short sword I have. Honestly, there is a few things I'd like to know more info on. I suspect you can't just tell us, @Ben? Or is that something we have info on because we'd put them in inventory on our character and see them anyhow?))

((I wouldn't mind a shield myself as I can wield it in my offhand. I'd like to know the stats on the gladius sword in case it's better than the short sword I have. Honestly, there is a few things I'd like to know more info on. I suspect you can't just tell us, @Ben? Or is that something we have info on because we'd put them in inventory on our character and see them anyhow?))
((Google tells me a gladius would be just a shortsword for dnd5e. I’d swap out my scimitar for the gladius/another shortsword and offer my scimitar to Jon))

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
((I won't give you any information on magical/special effects for free. That'll need either an Arcana check, identify spell, or taking it to a merchant to get it appraised.

That being said, the gladius were 1d8 weapons. Pilum was 1d6 30/120 range. Chain hook was 1d4 15/30 range. Shields were +1 AC.

In so far as inspecting the loot yourself and what skill to use, it depends on what you're trying to find out;
  • Perception: When trying to spot or notice something about an item without closely examining it, like spotting a tiny inscription on a ring.
  • Investigation: When actively studying or inspecting an item to find details that aren't immediately obvious, like finding a hidden mechanism in a sword hilt.
  • Arcana, History, Religion, Nature: When the item's nature falls under these domains, and specific knowledge is required to understand it, like recognizing a historical crest on a shield or the god a religious relic.
It'll be up to you guys to distribute the loot and decide what to take. Historically this group has been kinda loot ninjas and whoever first grabbed something kept it. There's not been much discussion about what belongs "to the party".

It Is What It Is Bip 6 GIF by Bachelor in Paradise
))

Magni Kragtail

((Don't think Magni can make much use of anything here yet unless something winds up being magical in some way. He already knows Burning Hands and doesn't have any crazy spell requirements at the moment. I'll just take whatever his cut of the gold is. Chain hook may come in handy for something if you can pull things/people with it, though not sure who would be the best to give that to.))

((are the broken shields wood or have straight pieces of iron? If so I'll take the scraps for my spells. Also if any of the precious gems on that jewelry is opalescent feldspar I'll take that too for spells.

Otherwise a working shield would be good I suppose))

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
Quoted Image
Kutshort picks up a gladius and a shield. Zesty takes a shield, as does Short Order. The rest of the shields and weapons are carelessly shoved into Nac's robes. He clunks as he moves.

((I just picked the first character tab I clicked, so Nac is carrying everything.

But, you really want to take the rest of it with you? That's like... 68lbs of shields or something if you take the non-broken ones. Nac can carry it with his squad dwarf frame, but you're a heavy fellow now.)

Everybody has been long-rested.

I'll say Moonsprout found his way back to camp while everyone was resting.

You want to go straight to the observatory, I'm guessing?))

• This is the Way

Zesty Zapcrackle

Diplomatic Immunity
Quoted Image
Kutshort picks up a gladius and a shield. Zesty takes a shield, as does Short Order. The rest of the shields and weapons are carelessly shoved into Nac's robes. He clunks as he moves.

((I just picked the first character tab I clicked, so Nac is carrying everything.

But, you really want to take the rest of it with you? That's like... 68lbs of shields or something if you take the non-broken ones. Nac can carry it with his squad dwarf frame, but you're a heavy fellow now.)

Everybody has been long-rested.

I'll say Moonsprout found his way back to camp while everyone was resting.

You want to go straight to the observatory, I'm guessing?))
((Can I say I practiced with my gun in the long rest? I'll be happy to forego any other artificer shenanigans!))

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
((Can I say I practiced with my gun in the long rest? I'll be happy to forego any other artificer shenanigans!))
((Don't say you did it, actually do it. You should have to role play these things, but yes it's entirely allowable for you to do that. Make a 1d20 roll, no modifier.))

((Oh, also, does Boltz heal during a long rest too?))
((nah, he doesn't. You have to repair him, or you could make an entirely new steel defender over the long rest to reset its hp.

It's like you getting into a car accident with your printer, and health insurance doesn't cover the lsserjet.))

Zesty Zapcrackle

Diplomatic Immunity
((nah, he doesn't. You have to repair him, or you could make an entirely new steel defender over the long rest to reset its hp.
((Cool. I'll have him use repair on himself then prior to the long rest so that the usage will reset as well.))

As the figurative smoke from the battle clears and the team collects belongings from the battle, Zesty eyes a nearby shield still appearing in functional condition. He attaches it to his left arm. Though a little small as made for a kobold, the shield will do nicely in a pinch to help protect Zesty while wielding his Lockbuster.

The Lockbuster he thought... I never thought to train with this and it cost me dearly in that fight. Sparkrender will no proffer the same luxury the kobolds did. I should train with this during while we rest for the coming fight.

Boltz, enter repair mode. We'll need you tip top shape for the coming fight.

The mechanical wolf beeps in acknowledgement and lays down next to his master with a soft mechanical whirring as it enters self-diagnostic and repair mode.

With that, the artificer ensures no one is down range of a small tree and he takes aim, beginning to practice with the weapon.

Aim small, miss small...

Several shots ring off his target, though he can't quite see how well clustered the group is, but he goes for what feels like hours before settling in for a rest himself.

Magni Kragtail

As everyone begins to make camp, Magni searches for a small isolated corner for himself and curls up. He sits there, once again whispering to his little statue and staring at all his new companions from time to time. The half-orc especially catches his focus as he ponders quietly to himself... He couldn't believe he was fighting side by side with a fierce dragon! But why did this dragon stay in his humanoid form the whole time? Surely those nasty kobolds could've been wiped out with one breath of fire, ice, or something, but all he did was eat one of them. Why was this Aims holding back? These people were so strange... This entire island was so strange... The only dragons Magni knew had only threatened him and asked his people for tributes, but here he was making friends with these glorious sky gods.

The kobold continues to mumble himself to sleep (unless he is interrupted). In the morning he begins receiving new gifts of power from his patron, learning how to better curse his enemies and practicing casting his new False Life spell until he feels thoroughly invigorated for the fight ahead.

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
((Cool. I'll have him use repair on himself then prior to the long rest so that the usage will reset as well.))

As the figurative smoke from the battle clears and the team collects belongings from the battle, Zesty eyes a nearby shield still appearing in functional condition. He attaches it to his left arm. Though a little small as made for a kobold, the shield will do nicely in a pinch to help protect Zesty while wielding his Lockbuster.

The Lockbuster he thought... I never thought to train with this and it cost me dearly in that fight. Sparkrender will no proffer the same luxury the kobolds did. I should train with this during while we rest for the coming fight.

Boltz, enter repair mode. We'll need you tip top shape for the coming fight.

The mechanical wolf beeps in acknowledgement and lays down next to his master with a soft mechanical whirring as it enters self-diagnostic and repair mode.

With that, the artificer ensures no one is down range of a small tree and he takes aim, beginning to practice with the weapon.

Aim small, miss small...

Several shots ring off his target, though he can't quite see how well clustered the group is, but he goes for what feels like hours before settling in for a rest himself.
Quoted Image
Try as you might, your shots keep pulling to the left as you squeeze the trigger in.

You can tell the solution is to keep your other hand in line with the aiming hand with both index fingers pointing forward, not cupping your pistol's grip from beneath.

It's making sense, but you need to practice more before you're actually proficient.

Nac McWeeble

Yvan eht nioj
((I'm thinking we can divvy up all the coins after selling what needs be selling and stuff.

I'm good with going straight on to the observatory, happily clunking and clanking along the way! :link ))

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
((I'm thinking we can divvy up all the coins after selling what needs be selling and stuff.

I'm good with going straight on to the observatory, happily clunking and clanking along the way! :link ))
((Yeah, apologies. Kids taking up a ton of time, and what other free time I had I've admittedly been playing Stardew Valley and not this. I've got some time off coming up though, so I'll get on top of it within the next few days.))

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
Quoted Image
You find yourselves at the edge of the cliffs of Stormwreck Isle, a place that could only be described as the lovechild of a particularly vindictive storm and a landscape that's given up trying to be picturesque. Below, the sea is busy crashing against the basalt columns, making the sort of noise that suggests it's having far too much fun. The observatory ahead of you clings to the cliffs like it knows it doesn't belong there but is too stubborn to leave. Its central rotunda, once a grand structure, now sags under the weight of years and neglect. The stained-glass roof is more stained than glass at this point, and the towers branching off from it look like they've had better centuries.

You've approached from the North-West, after what feels like weeks of climbing, slipping, and generally questioning the life choices that led you to this point. The observatory's west side is supposed to have a magical light-bridge that would span the 35-foot gap between you and the rotunda. A convenient feature, you think, except for the small problem that it isn't there. The gap is, though, and it's doing a fine job of reminding you just how bad you are at long jumps.

The dragon statues that mark the ends of where the bridge should be are impressive enough. The one on your side is a finely carved beast with moonstone eyes, its chest featuring a keyhole where the bridge's activation key should be. But, naturally, the key is missing. You peer across the gap and spot the twin statue on the rotunda side, where the key is still lodged—but not fully. It hangs there, tantalizingly close to completing its task but not quite making it, as if someone pulled it out just enough to ruin your day.

While you're taking this all in, you hear something coming from inside the rotunda. The doors are mostly closed, but not quite enough to keep out the sound of chattering voices. Kobolds, by the sound of it, and they're either having a spirited debate or trying to organize something. The words are muffled, but the tone suggests they're up to no good.

You glance back at your companions, each of you realizing that getting into the observatory isn't going to be as simple as strolling across a nice, convenient bridge. First, you have to figure out how to get across that gap without falling to your doom. Then, there's the small matter of dealing with whatever is on the other side—likely kobolds, possibly worse. This place has the kind of history that suggests there's always something worse.

1724253566662.png

((Unfortunately the map I used had the light-bridges marked out on it, but just know that they're placeholder locations and not representative of the bridge actually being there.

I'm also trying out a plugin that's giving me the line-of-sight and lighting features, so I'll be trying to share the map views relative to your character and what they can see. May or may not have to adjust depending on how it works out, we'll see. I used Aims for vision since I stuck him at the front of the group.))

Zesty Zapcrackle

Diplomatic Immunity
((What are the chances Short Order can channel his inner Scopion and use that fancy ring to "GET OVER HERE!" the key?

Or we could have Aims throw Moonsprout and make him use his dick dagger again. :link))

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
((What are the chances Short Order can channel his inner Scopion and use that fancy ring to "GET OVER HERE!" the key?

Or we could have Aims throw Moonsprout and make him use his dick dagger again. :link))
((That's kind of what I assumed you'd all try first, but alas the reach of the Scorpion ring is only 20ft. He wouldn't be able to reach all the way across the gap.))

Nac McWeeble

Yvan eht nioj
((Too bad it's 30ft across, otherwise Nac could've long jumped across with Step of the Wind since it doubles my leap distance. Buuuut my Str score is only 14 so Nac would fall 2 feet short of the distance.. Would've been cool though.

))

• Respect
OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
((I will offer some help in that, you can use your movement to jump and then use an ability like the ring or Misty Step. I know I didn't really show it on the map, but I'll say there's enough of a lip in front of the door that you could land on it.))

((I'll throw anyone and everyone! It's been such a long campaign without having to throw anyone! I do like the idea of meeting SO and having him scorpion the second half of the distance. Or I think I can try to throw with a disadvantage to throw all the way? Throwing rules are weird lol.))

Aims looks at the familiar looking area. He can almost smell the blood in the air from before, and the wonderful battle against the dragon where he managed to catch it. This time though, his ax is thirsty for blood. Yeeessssss....

Alright lads! Who wants to get thrown over? Theres no one to cheat and fly over anymore for the key. Although... i wouldnt mind saying hi to our owlbear friend again. Its been a while since i saw the good boy.

.... hmmm. I wonder if i can jump it though. If i try really really hard.

Magni Kragtail

Magni thinks to himself. He looks to the small pouch in his hands, then stares across the gap. He starts to speak, but hesitates, seeing the waves crashing down below. After a few moments, he finally addresses Aims.

"Y-you no fly good? ...H-how strong you? If...you had small item, you could throw across?"

• Crikey!
Reactions: Ben
OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
((I do want to leave this to you to come up with your best solution, and see whether it pans out, so I'm waiting for y'all to reach an agreement and post an action. Whatever you want to attempt, you can try.))

Back
Top Bottom