• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Character Creation discussion

Tuberius of Wadawurrung

CFO of Shitposting, Head of Data & Insights
It's Christmas Day here so I may not get to do much more than click around the sites today and hopefully can spend some time building tomorrow when I have full access to my computer without distractions. Hopefully I'm not dragging anyone back.

Is it possible to have a set of stats for the strength of my main character and his kangaroo companion?

VashTheStampede

Jawneh is possibly The Sorcerer
It's Christmas Day here so I may not get to do much more than click around the sites today and hopefully can spend some time building tomorrow when I have full access to my computer without distractions. Hopefully I'm not dragging anyone back.

Is it possible to have a set of stats for the strength of my main character and his kangaroo companion?
There is a stat block for a Kangaroo

kangaroo.jpg

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Typing up summaries of the most common races and then the classes as part of the character creation tutorial...fighting a migraine so I'm gonna take a bit of a break. This is gonna be the biggest amount of pre-work for me before we get up and running. Probably a couple days after xmas.

Don’t burn yourself out before you get started, dude. The forums went all this time without it, another day or ten late won’t kill the deadline people hiding in the corner somewhere, and if it does… fuck ‘em.

Don’t burn yourself out before you get started, dude. The forums went all this time without it, another day or ten late won’t kill the deadline people hiding in the corner somewhere, and if it does… fuck ‘em.
I think he might be legit excited though, so he should do all the fun he can handle.

But yeah we'll all wait. No need to rush here.

Reactions: Ben

Zesty Zapcrackle

Diplomatic Immunity
So what classes do we have already? Is there an area we're missing? Tank, heals, support?

I see plenty of casters/rogues mentioned, but I want to build my character where we are weaker. I won't make Vash worry about homebrewing a race for me this early.

Plus I need to nail something down for Ben to make me purty.

VashTheStampede

So that's one thing we need to work out.

I've done a bit of DMing in the past but I've never really tried running games with more than 4-5 players.

I'm totally cool with trying to run two concurrent campaigns so more people can play, and honestly the forum-based format makes that feel a LOT less daunting than doing it live in person.

So two teams of 5 would be doable. I've lost count of how many people were wanting to play though.

ANOTHER thing to consider is how we'll handle player character death. Typically the player who's character dies rolls up a new character, but we have an unique opportunity to have a completely new player step in with a new character. The big drawback there is obviously that it could make a character death feel worse for the player...but it also really heightens the drama and sense of loss for the rest of the party.

Just some things to chew over.

Dragmire

I'm in favor of player death being up to each player. Whether or not you reroll, you're still gonna be the level you were before so really you can just rebuild the exact character if you wanted. So given that, I think just leaving it up to the player is good.

Tuberius of Wadawurrung

CFO of Shitposting, Head of Data & Insights
So what classes do we have already? Is there an area we're missing? Tank, heals, support?

I see plenty of casters/rogues mentioned, but I want to build my character where we are weaker. I won't make Vash worry about homebrewing a race for me this early.

Plus I need to nail something down for Ben to make me purty.
This is a question I had too, as I would like to fill a gap and not copy someone too much.

My initial thought was that while I'll likely create a character who isn't a pacifist he's unlikely to actually get involved in any violence, I'd have the kangaroo for that. My main would be more focused on thought, reason and logic. What kind of role suits that?

Dragmire

This is a question I had too, as I would like to fill a gap and not copy someone too much.

My initial thought was that while I'll likely create a character who isn't a pacifist he's unlikely to actually get involved in any violence, I'd have the kangaroo for that. My main would be more focused on thought, reason and logic. What kind of role suits that?
If you become a Druid you can turn yourself and others into kangaroos

Moonsprout Beandirt

Connoisseur of fine video games
So that's one thing we need to work out.

I've done a bit of DMing in the past but I've never really tried running games with more than 4-5 players.

I'm totally cool with trying to run two concurrent campaigns so more people can play, and honestly the forum-based format makes that feel a LOT less daunting than doing it live in person.

So two teams of 5 would be doable. I've lost count of how many people were wanting to play though.

ANOTHER thing to consider is how we'll handle player character death. Typically the player who's character dies rolls up a new character, but we have an unique opportunity to have a completely new player step in with a new character. The big drawback there is obviously that it could make a character death feel worse for the player...but it also really heightens the drama and sense of loss for the rest of the party.

Just some things to chew over.
I like the idea of two different campaigns. Having a team of like 10 people or whatever signed up might be a bit much. Would make more sense to separate into two groups somehow.

Separate note: the DnD template site we've been using seems a bit limited in some ways. For example my character is a silly character, and a bard. I wanted him to be able to play the grass whistle or something else ridiculous but the only options are for very serious instruments. I still have to figure how to add spells and some other stuff.

I like the idea of two different campaigns. Having a team of like 10 people or whatever signed up might be a bit much. Would make more sense to separate into two groups somehow.

Separate note: the DnD template site we've been using seems a bit limited in some ways. For example my character is a silly character, and a bard. I wanted him to be able to play the grass whistle or something else ridiculous but the only options are for very serious instruments. I still have to figure how to add spells and some other stuff.
A lot of the little detail stuff like that can be fudged for the campaign. There is even a place where you can customize items and spells.
1000001087.jpg

Instead of just Amulet for my Paladin's holy symbol. I changed the name and put some description to it.

You could maybe pick a lute and change the name to Grass Whistle.

VashTheStampede

Separate note: the DnD template site we've been using seems a bit limited in some ways. For example my character is a silly character, and a bard. I wanted him to be able to play the grass whistle or something else ridiculous but the only options are for very serious instruments.
Just choose something like a flute and you can customize the name and weight of it to fit the flavor you want

EDIT: damnit woman focus on the cookies

VashTheStampede

Any changes like that should be brought up with your DM during a Session 0 just so they're aware of it and can approve it. Not that something like "plays a grass whistle" is something I'd expect any DM to have a problem with.

I mean, I've heard some DM horror stories and I'd just avoid that person's games.

Any changes like that should be brought up with your DM during a Session 0 just so they're aware of it and can approve it. Not that something like "plays a grass whistle" is something I'd expect any DM to have a problem with.

I mean, I've heard some DM horror stories and I'd just avoid that person's games.
So I have a small hammer already. Any issues with that being the legit hammer of fermentation I mentioned before?

VashTheStampede

So I have a small hammer already. Any issues with that being the legit hammer of fermentation I mentioned before?
I mean, the only balance issue I see with that is if you try to use it to turn a bunch of fruit into liquor for sale to try and cheese money.

So we'd probably just say something like that any fruit hit by the hammer instantly ferments but becomes completely spoiled after an hour. Or something like that.

I mean, the only balance issue I see with that is if you try to use it to turn a bunch of fruit into liquor for sale to try and cheese money.

So we'd probably just say something like that any fruit hit by the hammer instantly ferments but becomes completely spoiled after an hour. Or something like that.
For a second I thought you were saying I couldn't use it to generate money in order to buy cheese.

But that seems fair.

I honestly wasn't even thinking that. I was thinking about sneaking over to the other party's campsite and changing all their supplies into booze while they were asleep so they'd be drunk AF during their questing.

Seeing everybody's name changes I guess I need to decide if I'm really going to use my party Paladin or start a new character.

Also none of you are allowed to change your profile picture because I'm not going to know who is who.

Also also, Alu's name doesn't start with an A here!

Can someone eventually look over my character and let me know if there are changes I should make

Also, I’m not sure where to put the “arousing success” spell from my enchanted legs that revives me the next morning if I die (unless I’m not allowed to have that ability, @VashTheStampede )

Zesty Zapcrackle

Diplomatic Immunity
I'm open to names if anyone wants to provide some for me. Worst part of character creation for me.

That may be the only thing I have. But a tiefling artificer does sound fun...

VashTheStampede

Can someone eventually look over my character and let me know if there are changes I should make

Also, I’m not sure where to put the “arousing success” spell from my enchanted legs that revives me the next morning if I die (unless I’m not allowed to have that ability, @VashTheStampede )
Revives are among the most important and difficult spells, so that won't work exactly like that, but I might be able to come up with something similar.

I just remembered about either wizards or warlocks getting a familiar. So now I'm thinking about Tubby being a wizard with a tiny Kangaroo familiar.

Also with the magic wood legs maybe rolling a D4 to see how many temp HP they give for the day.

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
In so far as the whole party size thing, I think keeping individual parties limited to 4-5 players makes sense and is more fair on the DM, especially if at the moment all we have is Vash. I've tried doing it before as I love the storytelling/narrative part, but all the numbers and having to reference notes on paper just got in my way. I'm hoping if I can get into my groove and used to the DnDBeyond site, I could help take some of the burden with driving these.

But my thoughts regarding how to handle separate parties, deaths, etc are these;

• We have a thread/sub-forum for character creation. People can post their character sheets and get them ratified by Vash, etc. as being OK to fit in with the game.
  • Once your character is cleared as not being frigging broken, you go hang out in the Tavern thread/sub-forum to bullshit with other characters who may be in there.
  • When the DM is ready to start a campaign, they pop into the Tavern and ask for X adventurers to help them, through whatever means they want. Innkeeper suddenly mentions a kobold orgy that's getting out of hand across the river, a mysterious cloaked stranger is handing out pills in the corner made from Illithid tadpoles, whatever.
  • First come first served. Parties are limited to 4-5 people.
  • If you miss out, you may have to wait until there are 4-5 more people and the DM can handle running another campaign concurrently.
  • There is possibility for the separate parties to cross paths as they're going, etc. However the DM wants to use it. They could team up, they could be pitted as enemies, whatever. All things are possible.
  • If your character dies, you can reroll another, but you have to go back to the Tavern and wait for another spot. During this time, anyone else who's been waiting in the Tavern for a quest to call them can choose to step in to the spot in the existing campaign. I don't think it'd feel great if you've been waiting to join in forever, and someone just keeps getting to respawn in the same campaign over and over. It's also more what'd actually happen, if your party has their druid eaten trying to coerce an Owlbear, you'd have to either continue being down 1 person, or go back to the Tavern and find someone else dumb enough to join you.
  • There could also be a Graveyard for anyone to talk in, whether they've rolled a character or not. I'm guessing there's a chance even people who aren't rolling characters are going to have interest in just reading it, too.
@VashTheStampede Certainly defering to your perference/experience here, but I at least think that'd work in theory.

VashTheStampede

In so far as the whole party size thing, I think keeping individual parties limited to 4-5 players makes sense and is more fair on the DM, especially if at the moment all we have is Vash. I've tried doing it before as I love the storytelling/narrative part, but all the numbers and having to reference notes on paper just got in my way. I'm hoping if I can get into my groove and used to the DnDBeyond site, I could help take some of the burden with driving these.

But my thoughts regarding how to handle separate parties, deaths, etc are these;

• We have a thread/sub-forum for character creation. People can post their character sheets and get them ratified by Vash, etc. as being OK to fit in with the game.
  • Once your character is cleared as not being frigging broken, you go hang out in the Tavern thread/sub-forum to bullshit with other characters who may be in there.
  • When the DM is ready to start a campaign, they pop into the Tavern and ask for X adventurers to help them, through whatever means they want. Innkeeper suddenly mentions a kobold orgy that's getting out of hand across the river, a mysterious cloaked stranger is handing out pills in the corner made from Illithid tadpoles, whatever.
  • First come first served. Parties are limited to 4-5 people.
  • If you miss out, you may have to wait until there are 4-5 more people and the DM can handle running another campaign concurrently.
  • There is possibility for the separate parties to cross paths as they're going, etc. However the DM wants to use it. They could team up, they could be pitted as enemies, whatever. All things are possible.
  • If your character dies, you can reroll another, but you have to go back to the Tavern and wait for another spot. During this time, anyone else who's been waiting in the Tavern for a quest to call them can choose to step in to the spot in the existing campaign. I don't think it'd feel great if you've been waiting to join in forever, and someone just keeps getting to respawn in the same campaign over and over. It's also more what'd actually happen, if your party has their druid eaten trying to coerce an Owlbear, you'd have to either continue being down 1 person, or go back to the Tavern and find someone else dumb enough to join you.
  • There could also be a Graveyard for anyone to talk in, whether they've rolled a character or not. I'm guessing there's a chance even people who aren't rolling characters are going to have interest in just reading it, too.
@VashTheStampede Certainly defering to your perference/experience here, but I at least think that'd work in theory.
Your view of death and going back to waiting for another opening aligns pretty closely to what I was envisioning.

My current vision for campaigns is that there will be an official Campaign Thread and then a "Tavern" thread that is associated with that specific campaign. The Tavern thread would be a place for both observers to discuss the game and for the actual players to plot, plan, and scheme without making the Campaign Thread impossible to keep up with.

Reactions: Ben

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
Your view of death and going back to waiting for another opening aligns pretty closely to what I was envisioning.
Handshake Bros GIF

My current vision for campaigns is that there will be an official Campaign Thread and then a "Tavern" thread that is associated with that specific campaign. The Tavern thread would be a place for both observers to discuss the game and for the actual players to plot, plan, and scheme without making the Campaign Thread impossible to keep up with.
That's a very fair point; there's more than one tavern in The Realms.

I just worry about having the player characters try to converse/plan their stuff in said tavern thread though, if there's also people just Shitposting™ in there. Buuuuuuut if you kept everything to group conversations that's going to mean all the people waiting can't read along with the thought processes, only the campaign actions itself... 🤔 I guess it'd make sense to have everyone in the party talking in a visible thread then, and just keep any secret/individual messages between the DM/player to the actual conversations.

Back
Top Bottom