• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

The Hockey Thread

Not only should that goal have been reversed, but it should have been a PP for Boston. You CANNOT shove a defender into his own goalie to take the goalie out. There was IRREFUTABLE evidence of that, and the fact they kept the goal which led to another PP for Florida has completely taken the Bruins out of this game and the series.

Coyle got lucky on that. Could have knocked some dust off his back lol
Top angle doesn't show it well, and the others do. But it was a cross-check regardless of how hard it was. That should have been a penalty on Bennett and it's not even a question.

Not to mention the at least 4 other penalties against Boston that were not nearly as egregious as that that WERE called. Refs 100% handed Florida that game, homer stance or not. Read Twitter. It's clear what's going on here.

That was a crosscheck clear as day. Reminds me of the shit Florida was allowed to get away with last year. Tkachuk elbowing Gio in the head, Bennett hauling Matthew Knies down and injuring him, and Ekblad holding Bunting in a headlock. Florida never got called for any of those.

• They’re Right, You Know?
Reactions: Jon
That was a crosscheck clear as day. Reminds me of the shit Florida was allowed to get away with last year. Tkachuk elbowing Gio in the head, Bennett hauling Matthew Knies down and injuring him, and Ekblad holding Bunting in a headlock. Florida never got called for any of those.
This is something I don't understand at ALL.

Tkachuck is a rat. Every team has one. Boston has Marchand. But rats are typically watched like hawks and get called for penalties for everything they do. I can't tell you how many times Marchand was called for things he didn't even do wrong. It's just what I learned to call the Rat Penalty.

ALL rats, get the Rat Penalty... EXCEPT TKACHUCK! He's a fucking rat that gets the Superstar treatment. Allowed to do anything he wants, never called for a penalty and if you so much as sneeze at him, YOU go to the box. Just like the old Crosby treatment when he was the darling of the NHL.

Carlo was called for a MUCH less aggressive crosscheck earlier this series even by placing his stick on the back of Tkachuck when Tkachuck was in front of Swayman and lightly pushing him. Immediate penalty for doing what happens 100 times a game. But THAT, from Bennett, was allowed to give the Panthers the tying goal and then the game because the sails were taken away at that point.

I'd love to say it's all because the NHL is about to swing a reverse 2023 and allow the Bruins to come back from a 3-1 deficit at the underdogs and all the revenge calls are coming in the next 3 games, but I'm convinced this series is over. And it's sad because the refs literally handed this one to Florida. I feel bad for Swayman.

This is also what happens to Marchand.

Edge Elon GIF by AllIn

He literally got speared by a linesman in the last series, lmao.

I have my doubts about the Panthers taking the cup. Still believe it's gonna be a team in the West. A tossup between Dallas & Colorado imo.
As long as the Panthers lose, I don't honestly care who wins at this point. I hope the Rangers absolutely embarrass them and sweep them scoring 30 goals in 4 games, to be honest.

Here is where it all breaks down. And why it was clear as day that should have been reversed. They had all the same angles and replays we did and they essentially admitted "Florida needs to win this game ya'll." Bennett's cross check (which they notoriously and purposely are mislabeling as a "shove" here) put Coyle on top of Swayman. If your reasoning is Swayman wasn't inhibited from playing his position, you're blind, dumb, stupid, or dirty. I'm going with all of the above.

Man, what a bunch of bullshit from the league. A player gets crosschecked into the goalie and you mean to tell me that won't affect the goalie in any shape, form, or fashion?

You know what this is? This is the league going out of their way to protect Florida. Give them a taste of success in hopes to keep people invested in hockey down there. Because I'll tell you this, when that team isn't a playoff contender anymore, watch those attendance numbers regress back to how they were when they had all those empty seats.

Oh, and for posterity...

1715606222187.png

This is the rule for goalie interference. Which is EXACTLY what Bennett did. And the rule says "if necessary" for the penalty. So, you don't even have to put darling Bennett in the box if you don't want to, but the goal shouldn't have been allowed by the rule itself.

Does not say anything about inability to play the position, mind you. Doesn't say it had to be a penalty mind you. NHL legitimately made up a ruling on the fly completely against what their own rulebook says.

Normally I'd say you play though this... but this was game altering.

Oh, and for posterity...

View attachment 15547

This is the rule for goalie interference. Which is EXACTLY what Bennett did. And the rule says "if necessary" for the penalty. So, you don't even have to put darling Bennett in the box if you don't want to, but the goal shouldn't have been allowed by the rule itself.

Does not say anything about inability to play the position, mind you. Doesn't say it had to be a penalty mind you. NHL legitimately made up a ruling on the fly completely against what their own rulebook says.

Normally I'd say you play though this... but this was game altering.
At that point, you're not even calling the game by the book anymore. The missed calls like the ones I mentioned last year that never got called was one thing, but this is another. This is the kind of thing that decides the outcome of a game, and that's what makes it even more infuriating.

I remember Boucher with Tampa. He's a joke.
He's one of our assistants at the moment. Not sure what's gonna happen, but there's a possibility he gets fired too. The upper brass issued a statement that every member of the coaching staff would have their jobs evaluated.

I hope he gets canned. If you're firing Keefe, you might as well clean house with the coaching staff.

He's one of our assistants at the moment. Not sure what's gonna happen, but there's a possibility he gets fired too. The upper brass issued a statement that every member of the coaching staff would have their jobs evaluated.

I hope he gets canned. If you're firing Keefe, you might as well clean house with the coaching staff.
Yeah, why replace one coach with and asst who is likely to run the same system?

Teaching a trap defense is pathetic. I despise it. Why I hate the Panthers 3 man neutral zone trap... so pathetic
As a Leafs fan who had to endure being crushed under the iron boot of New Jersey in the early 2000s, watching the Leafs falter against New Jersey's neutral zone trap was a bloody miserable experience. It made games so fucking boring to watch.

Or he was told what Uncle Lou told Lupul, warning him there's lots of stairs and bad things can happen to people on the stairs. :p
More likely that lol.

I mean I just saw a clip and I understand what he's trying to say: "Make the refs accountable and force them to stand in front of the mics to answer questions after a game."

I don't disagree. But take the fine, call a spade a spade, call out the hypocrisy in Lauko in game 3 getting an interference but Bennett getting away with clear sucker punches and cheating...

I loved Sweeney as a player. Fucking met him way back when. But he, Neeley and Monty gotta go if you're not going to put emotion, fire and logic under this team.

Either they come out on fire and like a wrecking crew taking all kinds of shots (both at top Panther players and on net) or they don't have jobs 10 seconds after the game ends. Period.

More likely that lol.

I mean I just saw a clip and I understand what he's trying to say: "Make the refs accountable and force them to stand in front of the mics to answer questions after a game."

I don't disagree. But take the fine, call a spade a spade, call out the hypocrisy in Lauko in game 3 getting an interference but Bennett getting away with clear sucker punches and cheating...

I loved Sweeney as a player. Fucking met him way back when. But he, Neeley and Monty gotta go if you're not going to put emotion, fire and logic under this team.

Either they come out on fire and like a wrecking crew taking all kinds of shots (both at top Panther players and on net) or they don't have jobs 10 seconds after the game ends. Period.
When I saw that, I was like bruh, that's your team. This is the motherfucking playoffs. If it lands you in hot water, so what? At least have the cajones to call them out on their bullshit. Make a stand not only for your team, but also for the integrity of the sport because this is a bad, bad look for hockey.

Per Emily Kaplan:
There's that accountability!

There is no way on any planet that was two players engaged. That was a sucker punch, and shame on the NHL. There's one of Trent Frederick repeatedly punching Sean Rodrigues. I thought Frederick should have been ejected and fined for that. There is no place for that shit.

Except now there is. Time to break the bones of Bennett and Tkachuck. Should not be a problem. They were just engaged.

Back
Top Bottom