The Check-In, Check-Out Thread

Hope everyone's keeping well! Been a little sick myself, but ah well, keep on going!
Oh noes!

Sarah Paulson Ratchet GIF by NETFLIX

:hugs

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Episode 15 Hello GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Checking in to say Hi to everyone. I've been gone a while. I can't really say that things have improved on my end but wow does a month and change ever fly by fast.

I deeply appreciate all the kind words and thoughts from everyone when I said I'd be stepping away.

I'm still not back in "full TD" mode but I'll be here once in a while for now (no wolf for the time being either).

Last edited:

Checking in to say Hi to everyone. I've been gone a while. I can't really say that things have improved on my end but wow does a month and change ever fly by fast.

I deeply appreciate all the kind words and thoughts from everyone when I said I'd be stepping away.

I'm still not back in "full TD" mode but I'll be here once in a while for now (no wolf for the time being either).
Take as much time as you need. We’re here to listen if you want to share, or distract you if that’s what you feel you need.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder

You take whatever time you need. We are here for you, whether you stop by for five minutes or five hours, you're a part of our group and we support you the whole way!

• Hugs
Reactions: TD

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Thank you - I'm not at a point where I want to talk about what's going on (though don't worry, I'm not bottling it, I've decided to get professional support).

Will definitely poke in once or twice a day at a more casual level though.

I’m glad to hear that you’re taking the steps you need to address your mental health while going through everything you’re going through. There’s no shame in it, and it could definitely prove valuable because there’s not exactly a handbook for the stuff life throws at you. Just know that you’ve got the support of all of us here.

Thank you - I'm not at a point where I want to talk about what's going on (though don't worry, I'm not bottling it, I've decided to get professional support).

Professional support is a really good move. Your head is in the right place despite how tough the time is for you right now, so I'm glad to hear that.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder

You're absolutely doing the right thing, professional help is a great support route and shows you recognize you need to look after your mental health while dealing with everything. IF there comes a point where you feel comfortable chatting about things, we're here for you. If not, we're still here for you :hugs. You matter to us, you are loved by us and no matter what your mental health, your physical health and your well-being overall takes precedence.

• Hugs

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
What if I'm a Game Winning Genie?
Good to just be what I am?

And thanks as always for the support everyone. Getting professional support wasn't an easy decision and it's weird to acknowledge/admit that I'm at that point - but it's sounding validating that I'm doing the right thing by doing that. I'm fortunate enough that my employer has good mental health benefits as well.

And thanks as always for the support everyone. Getting professional support wasn't an easy decision and it's weird to acknowledge/admit that I'm at that point - but it's sounding validating that I'm doing the right thing by doing that. I'm fortunate enough that my employer has good mental health benefits as well.
Mental health is health

• Hugs

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder

Definitely take advantage of those benefits if you have them, dude. GOOD therapists, counselors, and folks like that will cost you a pretty penny otherwise… and your mental health is not something you want to skimp on.

If anything… don’t look at seeking help as a weakness, recognizing that you’re at a point where you are intelligent and strong enough to acknowledge a weakness is a strength in itself, as cliche as it sounds.

• Hugs

There's absolutely nothing wrong with working on your mental health. Everyone has their own method for dealing with difficult circumstances, and as long as it's a health mechanism, there's nothing to be ashamed of. It amazes me sometimes how many people I hear of who regularly visit therapists -- not just the sheer number of people, but also the social and professional status of people visiting them. It's a lot more common than most people think. It's healthy to see that stigma is starting to disappear.

• Hugs

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder

I've got two therapists and a psychiatrist, hon, don't ever worry about admitting to needing help, we all do at some point! The important thing is you recognized it before it got too bad and got the help you need. As was said above, mental health is health, so always watch out for your health mentally and physically. If you ever need someone to talk to about therapy, mental health, etc., my inbox is always open. I won't prod, but I will listen!

• Hugs

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
There's absolutely nothing wrong with working on your mental health. Everyone has their own method for dealing with difficult circumstances, and as long as it's a health mechanism, there's nothing to be ashamed of. It amazes me sometimes how many people I hear of who regularly visit therapists -- not just the sheer number of people, but also the social and professional status of people visiting them. It's a lot more common than most people think. It's healthy to see that stigma is starting to disappear.

Agreed. Growing up, the mental health advice I always received was simply “man up”, so much so that I ultimately ended up compartmentalizing everything that I experienced and drowned out any semblance of emotion with liquor, so I’m familiar with the unhealthy ways. It’s reassuring to see so many people from so many different walks of life not only admit to not being “okay” all of the time, but speaking out to make others feel comfortable enough or humble enough to say “hey… maybe I could talk to somebody about my bullshit, too”. It’s the good kind of ripple effect we need to see… because we all know that we see enough bad ones.

• Agree

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
And probably unironically given my hesitancy, I also grew up with the "man up", "only women cry", "be tougher", "don't talk about it", "just deal with it", etc.

Society as a whole has definitely come a long way with the stigma but it's also still a very real thing in many places - for many people.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
And probably unironically given my hesitancy, I also grew up with the "man up", "only women cry", "be tougher", "don't talk about it", "just deal with it", etc.

Society as a whole has definitely come a long way with the stigma but it's also still a very real thing in many places - for many people.

Absolutely, and while compartmentalization is an important skill to possess, it can also be painfully isolating. It’s why so many people end up feeling alone, or at the very least… like others wouldn’t understand their situation. Coupled with the “man up” approach, it creates this belief that if you can’t handle your problems without asking for help that you’re either less of a man, a burden on your family, friends, and peers, or just weak in general. While none of those are true… they CAN become true if you put that wall up, don’t talk to someone about your feelings, and compartmentalize them. You’ve clearly been around the block enough times to know that if you don’t do something proactive, you’ll be in a much worse spot, which speaks volumes about how committed you are to keeping your head right and it is admirable.

• Cheers!

ZandraJoi

Good Morning! Want to wish those in the USA a Happy Thanksgiving this week. Spend time with family & friends & enjoy your holiday :)

Well, our long cheer competition adventure is over**

My daughter's team finished 4th out of 10 in their grouping - top 3 moved onto Nationals in Florida in two weeks. She took it well, they did better than anyone thought and though there were a bunch of crying kids yesterday, they were all awesome. We are sad, but at the same time I woke up this morning, cancelled our flights and hotel in Florida, and now don't have to run her to and from practice this week or next. It's been almost 2 months of competitions and they are done.

Only photo I took - this was intense. This was before it started, the place was packed and we were there for over 5 hours yesterday. It's the UNH hockey arena. We spent the weekend in Portsmouth NH, which is now one of my favorite towns. It felt like going back in time before brands/chains filled every street.

PXL_20231119_180218474.jpg

** Next week BOTH daughters are starting a club cheer group that runs 6 months and has competitions in three different cities. Hopefully they are on the same team, otherwise we have to stay at each competition for twice as long. It's tiring but fun in a way. This one is expensive so they better take it seriously *shakes fist*

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Good Morning! Want to wish those in the USA a Happy Thanksgiving this week. Spend time with family & friends & enjoy your holiday :)
Happy Thanksgiving to you!!
Well, our long cheer competition adventure is over**

My daughter's team finished 4th out of 10 in their grouping - top 3 moved onto Nationals in Florida in two weeks. She took it well, they did better than anyone thought and though there were a bunch of crying kids yesterday, they were all awesome. We are sad, but at the same time I woke up this morning, cancelled our flights and hotel in Florida, and now don't have to run her to and from practice this week or next. It's been almost 2 months of competitions and they are done.

Only photo I took - this was intense. This was before it started, the place was packed and we were there for over 5 hours yesterday. It's the UNH hockey arena. We spent the weekend in Portsmouth NH, which is now one of my favorite towns. It felt like going back in time before brands/chains filled every street.

View attachment 4181
Wow, that's a LOT of people! Glad they had a good time and that they're taking their placement well, 4th is nothing to sneeze at!
** Next week BOTH daughters are starting a club cheer group that runs 6 months and has competitions in three different cities. Hopefully they are on the same team, otherwise we have to stay at each competition for twice as long. It's tiring but fun in a way. This one is expensive so they better take it seriously *shakes fist*
Eek, fingers crossed they do end up on the same team!

Impulsive.

Where's Duh'Venger?
Hi everyone! I know you most likely don't remember me, as I joined as an underage kid far long after the GW community was established, but I have the fondest memories of you all. Given I was a dumb little kid and I'm now a dumb big 30-yo man, I can only imagine how saggy you must all be getting. :^

I miss the mafia games, the e-feds, PIMI, the Duh'Venger, constantly getting banned and appealing with the most egregiously pathetic begging, and attempting to slot into a community already established when I was little but a dumb kid.

Oh, and Kelly's epic thread about getting laid anime cons. That lives in my head rent free to this day.

Back
Top Bottom