Discussion Tavern: The Yawning Portal

@Local Hero

When it comes to spells and rolling it depends on the spell. For your tremors
1000001562.jpg
It says Dex 12. It means that's a Dex saving throw for the enemies to make against your spell mod which is 12. If you just see a plus number, that will be a spell you have to make an attack throw with. Like my Inflict Wounds.1000001563.jpg
So in this case with your Earth tremor, Vash will decide what to do with the environment, but if any enemies are in the area of the spell, they will make a dex saving throw. If they fail, then the spell's effect hits. Which would be 1d6 of damage and I don't remeber the other effect. Knock them down?

Lok Ahl

@Local Hero

When it comes to spells and rolling it depends on the spell. For your tremors
View attachment 11025
It says Dex 12. It means that's a Dex saving throw for the enemies to make against your spell mod which is 12. If you just see a plus number, that will be a spell you have to make an attack throw with. Like my Inflict Wounds.View attachment 11027
So in this case with your Earth tremor, Vash will decide what to do with the environment, but if any enemies are in the area of the spell, they will make a dex saving throw. If they fail, then the spell's effect hits. Which would be 1d6 of damage and I don't remeber the other effect. Knock them down?
Thank you, that is helpful.

So a plus means attack throw, is that a d20?

Yes. That would be you making a d20 and adding that plus amount to beat the enemy AC. A dex, wis, con, is the enemy making a d20 adding their modifier of whatever type against your spell DC amount.

Some spells will have an effect even if they fail, but you'll have to read the effect description for each spell to see.

For checks using skills, don't feel bad if you don't know when and what to roll for there. You can just say what your character wants to do and Vash will let you know. Sometimes it's easier like looking around for something is investigation check. Trying to see if you know information is history. But if your not sure, Vash has got you. That would be your Skills tab on DnD. Which looking at all of ours, none of us are too great at investigating anything because I believe we all have a lower intelligence.

burning homer simpson GIF

Lok Ahl's strategic use of Minor Illusion to project a City Guard's voice into the warehouse is met with silence. The spell's execution is flawless, the illusionary voice clear and authoritative as it echoes through the interior, offering assistance and medical treatment. Yet, despite the call penetrating the dark, exposed space of the warehouse, there's no reply, no shuffle of movement or whispered conversation to suggest that the message has been received or acknowledged by anyone inside.
Friday The 13Th Horror GIF by filmeditor

I've got no ideas at this point outside of just walking in the place. I'm not even stealthy, with my chain mail I have disadvantage. I got no spells that can help with this.

If we go that route I suppose I should be the first to walk in as I can take a hit better than most.

Nootie Plucker

Smart fella by day, fart smella by night
Yeah honestly I don't know. The rest of us are charismatic as hell but we just smashed our way in instead lol. I guess we could run in and pretend we're part of the gang and see how far we get until shit inevitably hits the fan.

@Joseph Snapple Welcome! If you want to add character info to show up here along with your user name, you can find it under account settings. You go to edit your account. The place where you put a profile picture and stuff and go down and you'll find tge DnD stuff. If you need a character pic, there's some people around here that can work with you with the "AI" ramdom pic generator. (I really hate calling it AI)

1000001579.jpg

Thunderclap is a weirdly worded spell. If you read the description only, it kind of sounds like everything in 100 ft takes the damage but it only means the sound is heard that far. If you look at the spell range, that will tell you the damage range of a spell. So for this to do damage Lok would need to move next to an enemy.
1000001581.jpg

• Hugs
Reactions: Jon
I think if they would have put the first sentence last and added an also to it, it would read better.

Each creature with range takes a 1d6 damage on a con save fail. Also, everybody within 100ft can hear a loud thunderclap.

This is a spell you can use out of combat to get attention if you want to. Just make sure you are not standing right next to somebody if you do.

Lok Ahl

Reading the Internet a bit more, yeah it's creatures within a 5 foot radius of me, 8 squares around my character, get damaged.

The noise can be heard from 100 feet away, but that doesn't really seem to matter, unless it's a stealth mission lol

Lok Ahl

@VashTheStampede, now that I understand better, can I change it to casting Earth Tremor?

Also, remind me of ranges. Is each square five feet? So Earth Tremor's range is 10 feet. Does this mean I need to have 3 squares away for them to be in range?

Or can I target from further away and everything within 10 feet gets damaged?

How far away can I cast this spell?

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
@VashTheStampede, now that I understand better, can I change it to casting Earth Tremor?

Also, remind me of ranges. Is each square five feet? So Earth Tremor's range is 10 feet. Does this mean I need to have 3 squares away for them to be in range?

Or can I target from further away and everything within 10 feet gets damaged?

How far away can I cast this spell?
Earth Tremor radiates out from you for 10 feet. So they'd have to be at most 2 squares away.

I'm 100% cool with you changing your turn btw, whenever you know what you wanna do. No rush, we're still in tutorial mode.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Am I able to switch spells out at some point?

Cantrips you cannot change, though I said earlier that we can do 1 mulligan on cantrips because this wasn't widely known information when everyone was making characters.

As for your levelled spells, Sorcerers such as yourself are able to switch one spell for a new one of the same level whenever they level up.

Nootie Plucker

Smart fella by day, fart smella by night
Also @Local Hero I don't think this applies to what you're currently doing, but just in case you didn't see it or don't know what it does, you have 1d6 of Bardic Inspiration for the next 10 minutes in-game that you can use whenever. It does this:
1710226071344.png
Kinda just a free little bump to any sucky d20 roll you might make.

1d6 for using 1 handed and 1d8 if you are using 2 handed. So it depends on if you are holding something else.

You can also split your movement up between before and after doing other things, but if you move out of somethings range with out using an action to disengage it will get an opportunity attack against you.

Dashing is an action you can do to double your movement amount, but it takes up your action to do it.

Back
Top Bottom