Discussion Tavern: The Yawning Portal

@Tommy Boy

If you change your mind after things get rolling, toss me a DM and we can have a surprise new party member show up at some point.
Xbox One Nintendo GIF

I'm not sure of @Local Hero 's backstory, but it seems me Benzine, and the Flame's characters all have been in the Tavern/bard type circle of things, so very easily know it each other from that. Just need to figure out how we befriended a giant sorcerer. It could be as simple as we ran into him on the road here and helped him out of some kind of a pickle.

Nootie Plucker

Smart fella by day, fart smella by night
I'm not sure of @Local Hero 's backstory, but it seems me Benzine, and the Flame's characters all have been in the Tavern/bard type circle of things, so very easily know it each other from that. Just need to figure out how we befriended a giant sorcerer. It could be as simple as we ran into him on the road here and helped him out of some kind of a pickle.
Yeah that makes sense to me. I figure Nootie does a whole lot of nothing but hang out and play in taverns for a living. Probably has his own room in one but wanders town and helps out locals or whoever during the day. Occasionally moves to other towns for a change of scenery.
Goliath sorcerer with a focus on illusion spellcasting. Doesn't like violence and or inflicting pain, avoids fights if possible, but will prioritize protecting innocent life.

Raised in the slums with no parents or access to education, was never taught to read and is functionally illiterate, relies on the help of friends to get by.
Looking at his backstory from earlier it sounds like I'd get along pretty well with him. We're pretty similar.

I now realize my Entertainer feat would pretty much make me rich with this lifestyle, but I guess we'll just chalk the 10 gold net worth up to his charitable nature lol

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Sorry things have been so slow going the last few days but I'll be able to pick things up once we hit the weekend. Was a rough week for me but will be back to normal soon.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Thanks for catching that. That's an easy one to miss. I have stared at her character sheet a million times already and hadn't caught it and I don't even have dyslexia like she does.

@Local Hero

I double checked with Vash to make sure my thought was correct. You could hold an action if you want. To do that, you say what you're holding and what would need to happen for you to do the action.

For example, if it was my turn and I could say hold Sacred Flame for the Troll to come into range of my spell. If the Troll comes into that range, my spell release then, if the troll never comes into range I just lose my action that round.

Movement is separate from action. So you can still move, do a bonus action and then hold an action if you want/needed to.

Going to DnD beyond you can set to action and it will list possible actions. Also listed in spells you will tell you if it's an action or bonus action.

You get a movement, an action and a bonus action each round. (Reactions are based off what others do doing their turn) Vash will also let you do some checks and stuff and talk a little because he's cool like that.
1000001299.jpg
Here's my my Healing Word Spell which is a bonus action spell compaired to my inflict wounds which is an action. So I can cast them both in the same turn.
I believe (@VashTheStampede check me on this) you can use a bonus action as an action, but you can't use an action as a bonus action.
1000001300.jpg
1000001301.jpg

Lok Ahl

Going to DnD beyond you can set to action and it will list possible actions. Also listed in spells you will tell you if it's an action or bonus action.

You get a movement, an action and a bonus action each round. (Reactions are based off what others do doing their turn) Vash will also let you do some checks and stuff and talk a little because he's cool like that.
View attachment 8449
Here's my my Healing Word Spell which is a bonus action spell compaired to my inflict wounds which is an action. So I can cast them both in the same turn.
I believe (@VashTheStampede check me on this) you can use a bonus action as an action, but you can't use an action as a bonus action.
View attachment 8450
View attachment 8451
I'm in the app, but I don't see where I can do actions as if it's a round. Where do I click from here?

Screenshot_20240130_175315_Chrome.jpg

Ben Zine

Senor ember
I suspect it's displayed in the actions section - first outline. Next outline is showing a type of action, and that it's jsut "actions" - and how many attacks you get per action you have (this number grows as we level, depending on class).

Then there's the bonus actions. I think if you were to get more bonus actions available it'd appear here.

otherwise, the text is in the spell you'd use.

hope i'm not being unhelpful haha.

1706659079994.png

You hit that thing that is the 9 square square block round button at the bottom right. It will bring up this menu and you can pick actions, or spells depending on how you want to look at it. Actions will include weapon actions and class actions and stuff too, but in theory it should have set spells there too.
1000001302.jpg

Lok Ahl

Thank you both, that makes sense.

1. What all constitutes as a bonus action?
Apparently perception is a bonus action? What else is there?

2. And I guess we can walk up to 30 feet and it's no action, not even bonus?

Looking at your current set spells you do not have any bonus action ones. I can't tell you what could be a bonus action you could set on a long rest because dnd beyond wont let me look at it. I think Vash could. Note you can change you set spells on a long rest, don't remeber if sorcerers can do that on a short rest. Also don't remeber if you get spell slots back on a short rest.

Yes you get 30 feet of movement each round. You can move attack and move again too if you want, just no more than 30 feet. You can use your action to dash and go another 30 feet.

Note my little halfling legs only go 25. 😞

Post in thread 'Adventurer's Academy' https://gwforums.com/threads/adventurers-academy.1399/post-86775

Here is also a good breakdown by Vash of all the stuff for combat. It's a lot but there is some very good stuff that I forget. Like being about to Help as an action and some others like that as well as breaking down the basic combat.

I do think he needs to add a bit on spells in specific. Like spell slots, and setting spells. Maybe its there someplace and I just missed it.

Nootie Plucker

I'm sure this is all information overload since playing casters is complicated, but important note about using the Ready action to hold a spell to use as a Reaction later: If you're holding a spell that would use one of your Spell Slots to cast and you don't end up using that spell by the time your next turn comes around, you lose it and it still counts as if the spell was used, so be careful with anything that's stronger than a Cantrip (your freebie 0th level ones). Also apparently readying a spell turns it into a Concentration spell, which I didn't know until I looked it up just now, meaning if you get hit by something you might lose it.

I know some people have house rules that allow you to keep holding the spell indefinitely or not waste the slot, etc., but that's up to Vash.

Last edited:

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
I'm sure this is all information overload since playing casters is complicated, but important note about using the Ready action to hold a spell to use as a Reaction later: If you're holding a spell that would use one of your Spell Slots to cast and you don't end up using that spell by the time your next turn comes around, you lose it and it still counts as if the spell was used, so be careful with anything that's stronger than a Cantrip (your freebie 0th level ones). Also apparently readying a spell turns it into a Concentration spell, which I didn't know until I looked it up just now, meaning if you get hit by something you might lose it.

I know some people have house rules that allow you to keep holding the spell indefinitely or not waste the slot, etc., but that's up to Vash.
Yeah, I've always hated the idea of losing a spell slot even if you don't end up casting the spell so I don't play it that way.

I play it so you can hold the action until your next turn (not just end of round) and if nothing triggers your spell in that time then you only miss out on your action. You don't lose a spell slot. Feels like you get punished for trying to strategize otherwise.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Christina is now having an existential crisis about her turn.

She can either throw the lamp at the troll, or run up and hit him with it.

Throwing is a DEX roll, which is a +3 for her.

Hitting is a STR roll, which is -2.

But because the Troll is prone, throwing would be at disadvantage and hitting would be at advantage.

I am amused.

Nootie Plucker

Starting to regret choosing Blade Ward after learning that cantrips are permanent. At least I've got a couple of options for bonus actions so using it wouldn't be totally a wasted turn, but it feels pretty situational.

Looking at it I think Blade Ward seems like an awesome cantrip. Especially in our group with 3 out of the 4 people not being higher AC type classes. That's a great cantrip for if things get up in your face and doesn't cost a spell slot.

I don't know if bards work the same way but when we take a long rest you can change up your spells. I need to change my Sacred Flame to Word of Radiance I think. Though Toll the Bells just looks nifty. I feel with my AC of 18 because of my shield, it's smarter of me to try to be the one to "pull agro" if I can. Your Blade Ward comes in handy there because pulling Agro in DnD is often easier said than done.

Nootie Plucker

Looking at it I think Blade Ward seems like an awesome cantrip. Especially in our group with 3 out of the 4 people not being higher AC type classes. That's a great cantrip for if things get up in your face and doesn't cost a spell slot.

I don't know if bards work the same way but when we take a long rest you can change up your spells. I need to change my Sacred Flame to Word of Radiance I think. Though Toll the Bells just looks nifty. I feel with my AC of 18 because of my shield, it's smarter of me to try to be the one to "pull agro" if I can. Your Blade Ward comes in handy there because pulling Agro in DnD is often easier said than done.
I haven't checked how the spell changing works for bards specifically, but from what I'm seeing, it doesn't sound like any classes are allowed to change their cantrips ever. Just their other spells. I didn't know that was a thing, but apparently it is.

Blade Ward isn't necessarily bad, but I feel like I'm going to be too squishy to be a tank, so I'm trying to avoid being up close and personal with enemies. I feel like my action would usually be better spent on other things. It only lasts one round and only protects me, so I'm not sure how useful it will be.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Seeing as we're trying out this whole new method of playing this game, and thus didn't have your typical Session 0 where you work with the DM while creating your character, I'd be okay with everyone changing their cantrips on the first long rest of the campaign, as it clearly was not obvious nor intuitive that these are permanent abilities.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
At this point you all probably should figure out whether you're going to take a short rest before setting out or call it a night, take a long rest, then set out in the morning.

Either way, the rest is where we'll pause things for Christina's and my vacation. We'll pick it back up next Thursday.

Back
Top Bottom