Discussion Tavern: The Yawning Portal

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Welcome to Waterdeep, the Crown of the North, where a wondrous tale of urban adventure is about to unfold. Our story begins with the gathering of adventurers at the Yawning Portal Inn and Tavern. Volothamp Geddarm, the famous explorer and raconteur, has a quest for them — one that entangles the characters in a bitter conflict between two nefarious organizations. If the adventurers complete his quest, Volo rewards them handsomely. Yet a much greater prize lies hidden somewhere in the City of Splendors, waiting to be claimed.

yawning portal.png

~~~~~

This is a Tavern thread for a campaign entitled Waterdeep: Dragon Heist.

The setting is the city of Waterdeep, in the Sword Coast region of Faerûn. The campaign will begin here, in the famous Yawning Portal Tavern and Inn, with a group of adventurers who are at least somewhat familiar with each other, getting together for an evening of leisure. The theme of the campaign is that of an Urban Treasure Hunt.

We have room for 5 characters in this campaign.

Characters will begin at 1st level and if they survive to the end of the campaign, should end at least at 5th level.

~~~~~~

We will use this thread for the following Out of Character purposes:

1. Gather a party: Sign up with your interest to join this campaign. First come, first served. Once we have a full team, I will create a "Session 0" campaign thread to go into more detail on the start of the campaign.

2. Party In-Depth Discussion: To prevent the main campaign thread from becoming too difficult to follow, any OOC discussions will take place in this thread.

3. Questions for the DM: Please tag me with any questions for visibility.

4. General Campaign Discussion: Even if you aren't able to participate in the campaign, feel free to follow along and comment in this thread.

----------

Party:
@Christina
@canadaguy
@Tommy Boy
@Benzine

Last edited:

Tortle Dude

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
D&D everywhere for all!

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
A fighter, a cleric, a rogue, and a warlock. 3 humans and a halfing. So if we play our cards right we can just reenact the plot from Three men and a Little Lady. Of course I do not know the plot of that movie, but I have faith in us.
So the three humans all slept with the same woman who had a halfling baby and none of them know who the real father is so they all step-up and raise them?

Wait that was the first movie, Three Men and a Baby...

So this one is a cash grab sequel?

I'm a folk hero! Are we all local heros?!

Also if you guys are interested my character thread does have my back story all typed up. Since I think our group has already met up before the start. Cookie is a total over sharer so she would have told you all that stuff. It could also be possible that some of you met her originally in her home town depending on your stories.

Lok Ahl

This is what I wrote as my backstory when we were all getting our characters setup

Goliath sorcerer with a focus on illusion spellcasting. Doesn't like violence and or inflicting pain, avoids fights if possible, but will prioritize protecting innocent life.

Raised in the slums with no parents or access to education, was never taught to read and is functionally illiterate, relies on the help of friends to get by.

Ben Zine

Senor ember
hey i've not really read most of the posts in most of the threads so this may've been asked @VashTheStampede but are their gonna be some of the sillier items you may seem in homebrew games/the popular podcasts and so on? or are we being more to the rules with that stuff? what should i be expecting?

Ben Zine

Senor ember
and like, due to timezones, will there be anything where i can be like "yeah and for my next 5 actions i'll mostly mill around the middle of my team to keep as safe as possible while shooting eldritch blasts at whoevers convenient to help keep the game going while i sleep? as i say, Zine is easily swayed

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
hey i've not really read most of the posts in most of the threads so this may've been asked @VashTheStampede but are their gonna be some of the sillier items you may seem in homebrew games/the popular podcasts and so on? or are we being more to the rules with that stuff? what should i be expecting?
I try to match the energy of the party as much as possible while still keeping the plot coherent and focused. This story in particular I think has a bit of wiggle room for some silly.

I'm a folk hero! Are we all local heros?!

Also if you guys are interested my character thread does have my back story all typed up. Since I think our group has already met up before the start. Cookie is a total over sharer so she would have told you all that stuff. It could also be possible that some of you met her originally in her home town depending on your stories.
I also picked folk hero but I can take a looksie at other options and switch mine to something different

Tommy Boy

Sir Thomas Man
Hey guys, after much thought and consideration, I have decided to drop out of DnD-related activities.

I feel that I am vastly unprepared and honestly uncertain when it comes to most of the mechanics, how to play, how to do... anything really. I don't think I'll grasp it the way I want to by "just trying it out". I'd rather actually know what I'm doing. I know these beginning campaigns are supposed to basically teach us what's up (like you'll never learn if you don't try kind of thing) but it's just giving me some sense of looming anxiety than actual excitement to get going. This is not the way I learn to do things. I'm very hands-on, and playing through a forum rather than in person with everyone is turning me off for whatever reason. Maybe I'll change my mind after some campaigns start and I can watch, but from what I've seen already, this is not something I think I can get into.

I wish you all the best on your journeys!

Hey guys, after much thought and consideration, I have decided to drop out of DnD-related activities.

I feel that I am vastly unprepared and honestly uncertain when it comes to most of the mechanics, how to play, how to do... anything really. I don't think I'll grasp it the way I want to by "just trying it out". I'd rather actually know what I'm doing. I know these beginning campaigns are supposed to basically teach us what's up (like you'll never learn if you don't try kind of thing) but it's just giving me some sense of looming anxiety than actual excitement to get going. This is not the way I learn to do things. I'm very hands-on, and playing through a forum rather than in person with everyone is turning me off for whatever reason. Maybe I'll change my mind after some campaigns start and I can watch, but from what I've seen already, this is not something I think I can get into.

I wish you all the best on your journeys!
All good and completely understandable! Learning D&D for the first time can feel really overwhelming. We all have too much going on to stress ourselves out over a game.

Back
Top Bottom