Campaign Stormwreck Isle: Spores of Seagrow Cave (1-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
stormwreckisle.png
ship3.png

THE STORY SO FAR:

THE QUEST:
  • At the behest of Tarak, travel to Seagrow Caves to get past the guardian at the entrance, see what's wrong with the Myconid, and recover a harvest of heart cap mushrooms for him.

THE LOCATION:
map.png

THE MAP:

THE PARTY:
Aims'Orreh Mwuh'BwaddMoonsprout BeandirtShort OrderNac McWeebleZesty Zapcrackle
aims.pngmoonsprout2.pngshort.pngDALL·E 2024-01-25 22.12.44 - A side-profile view of Nac McWeeble, a Monk Hill Dwarf character ...pngDALL·E 2024-01-25 22.15.02 - A side-profile view of Zesty Zapcrackle, an Artificer Tiefling ch...png
Carrying Dick Dagger.

ITEM GLOSSARY:
file-pVmgHgYEB9YKYx2GtAASY75F.png
Wind Spore Mushrooms
30 gp each​
A rare fungus with a unique magical property. When a creature squeezes a wind spore mushroom's cap, it releases a small cloud of spores. For 1 hour, the creature doesn't need to breathe, as the spores provide it with oxygen.
file-moYw6GogFv7wpuA90IyNwKTo.png
Obsidian Chunk
10 gp each​
An uncut opaque black gemstone.
file-D8FV3REG53vwt44CZPF5gFDU.png
Heart Cap Mushrooms
30 gp each​
These mushrooms bear an unsettling resemblance to human hearts.
file-qdHIQqxCkWhZME6ymOpQj50s.png
Potion of Healing
50 gp each​
This potion's red liquid glimmers when agitated. You regain 2d4+2 hit points when you drink this potion.

Last edited:

Zesty Zapcrackle

Shitposting Development Manager
((This is fucking great! LOVE the Nintendo-esque look! Kudos! @Ben I'm gonna run three checks here, so I apologize. Gonna see what I can learn about the area and all three are for different purposes.))

Zesty watches Moonsprout stuff mushrooms down his gullet in the hopes they are not poisonous. His impulsivity a little off putting to the tiefling, but his childlike mentality and inspiration to live life to the fullest, Zesty wishes no harm to any of him companions, and will fight for each of them with his life.

There seems to be no ill effects of simply INHALING the mushroom spores, so Zesty carefully kneels besides the nearest mushroom, a red one, and carefully plucks it to investigate it.

While looking over the mushroom, Zesty is also making himself hyper aware of his surroundings.

Moonsprout Beandirt

Connoisseur of fine video games
Short Order groans why does it seem like I've woken up shorter today than usual? Has one of you put a spell on me? Also why is that one shoving sand in his mouth while blabbering on about mushrooms?
Moonsprout turns around, mushrooms protruding from his mouth.
What you tal'in bou', lil guy? Fpores gone to yer noggin?
Moonsprout gulps down the mushrooms.
This place is MAGICAL. Come on guys, dig in!

• Haha
Reactions: TD

Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd

Full-time time waster
((for detect magic, can I just do it whenever when we're not in combat? Want to make sure I use it appropriately as we're making our way through things))
((Yeah. You should go click on it and read how it works. The main take aways are that it's using a spell slot and it lasts at best 10 minutes. Also it's a concentration spell. Things about those. One person can o ly concentrate on one spell at a time. If anyone or anything disturbs you while using it, you got to do a concentration saving roll, which I believe is wis, but don't quote me on that. So, someone could rub a fart against you and you might drop the spell. Or more likely, you're shot or attacked and drop it.))

Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd

Full-time time waster
Aims looks around the cave, all smiles, for this.... big large monster of an octopus everyone had talked about. He already has is big ax in hand, ready to cleave it in pieces. All he can see for now is mushrooms. Luckily the spring water feels nice seeping into his shoes as he walks in the shallows of the spring trying to scout ahead.

Where's this octopus?! I want to see it already. Cmon!

Aims is way wired and is keeping an eye out in front for anything moving.

• Haha
Moon, I agree that the place is magical...do you all feel there might be spells we need to be on the lookout for? If you can watch my back for a bit, I can check to see if any enchantments are around before we...ingest anything we shouldn't.

Short Order casts Detect Magic

((I don't believe there's a roll required on the initial cast, just if anything distracts me, right?))

((
Waynes World Stacy GIF by Brian Benns
))

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian

shortorder.png

The lingering feeling that your stature is fluid, at the whim of some external deity who doesn't keep detailed notes, abates.

Your hands drop limply as a second sight floods through you, with every mote of magical essence making your nerves twitch. The entire area is bathed in a faint aura of magical energy, with the crystalline waters of the hot spring shimmering with power. You inhale deeply, the air carrying an edge of salt along with the warm steam, which declogs your sinuses, while your brain searches it's archives for familiar stimulus you've encountered before.

After contemplation for a few moments, you discern that a powerful healing magic resides in this place, imbued into the very ground itself. A puzzle piece of a thought, which had fallen to the ground and gotten stuck under the table leg, slides back into place on the coffee table of your mind. Runara mentioned the death of a dragon and it's residual magical energy being entwined with the Compass Rose, but it's likely other such resting sites exist around the island, and this may be another of them.

((The hot spring waters here are imbued with life-giving energy, and anyone who bathes in the waters for at least 10 minutes can roll one of their hit dice, to recover health equal to the roll + CON modifier. Each character can only benefit from this effect only once per day.)

moonsprout.png

You gluttonously shove the vibrant colored mushrooms into your mouth, with each bite causing a spectrum of spores to spread across your cheeks like you'd just drunkenly eaten a pineapple covered in glitter while hanging upside down at a house party.

Your stomach begins to gurgle in complaint.

:d20-fail Roll a CON save for me. :d20-crit

zesty.png

Putting on your Serious Goggles™, you get down to work evaluating the area.

As you watch the myriad colorful mushrooms disappear into the face of Moonsprout, you search your knowledge of fungus in your hands. These, with their small yet elongated caps and iridescent sparkles, must be Wind Spores- A rare fungus with unique properties. A creature who inhales the small cloud of spores that the mushroom produces, will not need to breathe air for 1 hour, as the spores provide it oxygen.

((While there were a good few ripe Wind Spores in this area on your arrival, most have now been devoured, but you could spend another action trying to find more Wind Spores that Moonsprout hasn't.))

Your attention passes from the ravenous Halfling and you scan around the area. The steam has cleared slightly with a change in the wind, now revealing the entire area to you. This small pool sits nestled in its own small cove protected from the worse elements of the ocean. Around the entire outer edge of the area glitter many kind of mushrooms, giving a remarkable splash of color against the pale yellow sand and stark basalt cliffs.

The center of the pool is deeper than it first appears, though you cannot tell how deep despite the waters being remarkably clear. As you peer, trying to spot rocks or something to indicate the bottom, you see a shimmer moving just below the surface. You blink deliberately and focus again, and can discern 3 dancing outlines within the hot springs.

aimsorreh.png

As you wonder how many tentacles you could eat at once, you notice the faint shimmering of movement beneath the surface. You pick up that Zesty has noticed too.

nac.png

You're also here.

The surface of the hot spring begins to bulge and something begins to flit around quickly, like a cat under the bedsheets, though the water-tension does not break as you would expect. Three unnatural lumps careen around the pool until they all rush towards a central point and converge, at which point an eruption of sea foam pushes a break in the steam clouds.

Rushing up from the water and coiling around each other in a fluid dance, three Fume Drakes emerge from the waters to confront those who would disturb their habitat.

fumedrake.png

:d20-fail Roll for initiative! :d20-crit

((I'm going to try to see how easily I can keep on top of the combat, etc. just using my own maps and stuff. I'm kind of enjoying putting a spin on this to look more like a video game, so... We'll see where it goes. I also threw a grid and scale onto this local-map screen, so we can try to pay a little more attention to positioning and such.

Each square is 5 foot by 5 foot. Diagonally that'll be around 7.5 feet across. We're going to start applying all the movement mechanics, including attacks of opportunity, from here on.

I'd also switched to using an article style for these threads, so the first post will stay at the top of the page. I'm going to try to keep the most recent map and all that stuff up there, so you can check back easily without having to go through page after page to find update.

I'll drop initiative order onto these and show who's up next, too.))

localmap.png

Last edited:

Zesty Zapcrackle

Shitposting Development Manager
Zesty draws his dagger into his right hand and his light hammer into his left and takes a battle ready stance.

Remember, that water is deeper than it appears, friends!

((NOW I wish I had my crossbow out.... dangit @Ben! lol))

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
((Gonna roll for @Smacktard just to get this moving. I forgot I was going to do auto-initiative anyway...

1706325128647.png))

Order (Roll)NameACHPNotes
1 (20)Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd1515/15@Jawneh up first.
2 (20)Fume Drake (B)--Healthy
3 (16)Moonsprout Beandirt148/8
4 (12)Fume Drake (C)--Healthy
5 (11)Zesty Zapcrackle1411/11
6 (7)Fume Drake (A)--Healthy
7 (7)Nac McWeeble1612/12
8 (3)Short Order119/9

Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd

Full-time time waster
To victory lads! I'll take this one here!

Aims takes his ax and moves swiftly in the water to the northernmost target. Just as he gets there, he leans a bit back, brings his ax down to drag a bit in the water before taking a heavy step forward and
brings his ax up in a wide upward arc to try to slice the drake in half.

Moonsprout Beandirt

Moonsprout drops a handful of mushrooms he had picked on to the ground.

Urk... I don't feel so great...
That his fellow teammates are openly and loudly mocking his natural musk don't make him feel any better, although this doesn't contribute to his gurgling stomach.

• Haha
OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian

To victory lads! I'll take this one here!

Aims takes his ax and moves swiftly in the water to the northernmost target. Just as he gets there, he leans a bit back, brings his ax down to drag a bit in the water before taking a heavy step forward and
brings his ax up in a wide upward arc to try to slice the drake in half.

aimsmad.png

You stomp out through the sapphire blue water, quickly finding that it's up past your knees. The Fume Drake chitters ethereally at you, as the weighty blade of your axe cleaves upwards leaving a wake in the water behind it. Your weapon connects with the vapor-like tail of the creature and it recoils slightly.

1706334793612.png

You deal 6 damage to Fume Drake A.

You are now in difficult terrain.

((This means you can only move at half speed, and every 1 foot of movement costs 2 feet of your move speed. So where you can move 30ft normally, in difficult terrain you will only be able to move 15ft.))

Fume Drake B spirals towards Aims'Orreh, gliding across the waters surface with grace. It's misty body continues to flow with momentum for a second, before the serpentine head darts out with teeth bared. The fangs snap on empty air as Aims manages to avoid the strike.

1706334825706.png

Moonsprout drops a handful of mushrooms he had picked on to the ground.

Urk... I don't feel so great...
That his fellow teammates are openly and loudly mocking his natural musk don't make him feel any better, although this doesn't contribute to his gurgling stomach.

Your stomach roils, the mushrooms you shoveled into your mouth now enacting their revenge. But your entire life has given you a remarkable tolerance against such things, and you barely manage to avoid overdosing on spores. After straightening up to announce to the group that you're fine, a prismatic cascade of vomit erupts from your mouth. This lasts for a long enough time that even the Fume Drakes seem to be concerned.

moonsprouttrip.png

As you wipe the last of the rainbow bile from your chin, you realize that everyone is staring at you, and that it's your turn in combat.

localmap.png

1 (20)Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd1515/15
3 (16)Moonsprout Beandirt148/8@Smacktard up next.
7 (7)Nac McWeeble1612/12
8 (3)Short Order119/9

Moonsprout Beandirt

((autocorrect, but yeah they are damn fine too 😍))
Moonsprout hopes that such a voluminous ejection of magical... stuff... from his mouth would deceive the Fume Drakes into thinking he's more magical than he appears, thus intimidating them.

Begone, ye magestic and angry elementals! Or there's more where that came from!

Moonsprout opens eyes eyes and mouth wide, and holds his hands beside his head as if he could project more of the magical bile at them at any second.

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
((autocorrect, but yeah they are damn fine too 😍))
Moonsprout hopes that such a voluminous ejection of magical... stuff... from his mouth would deceive the Fume Drakes into thinking he's more magical than he appears, thus intimidating them.

Begone, ye magestic and angry elementals! Or there's more where that came from!

Moonsprout opens eyes eyes and mouth wide, and holds his hands beside his head as if he could project more of the magical bile at them at any second.

You yell your mightiest towards the dragons, but they don't understand you, and your voice is not terribly imposing.

fumedrake_conf.png

You do however trip a little bit.

anim.gif

(( @Smacktard You wanna move, or take your bonus action of Bardic Inspiration? You could drop a sick jam in the middle of your hallucinations.))

1 (20)Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd1515/15
3 (16)Moonsprout Beandirt148/8Still Kelly.
7 (7)Nac McWeeble1612/12
8 (3)Short Order119/9

Last edited:

Moonsprout Beandirt

((yeah sorry, I was out. Wanted to do a proper write-up when I got back))

Moonsprout curls into a defensive fetal position right where he is and starts rocking back and forth a state of hallucination. He murmurs a steady stream of some sort of hymnic guttural chants. These chants find their way into the ears of Nac, who is reminded somewhat of his time spent in the monastery.

Give Bardic Inspiration to Nac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom