Campaign Stormwreck Isle: Welcome to Dragon's Rest (1-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
dragonsrest2.jpg
(Image sourced from: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/w0ydy9)

Welcome to Dragon's Rest (Campaign 1 - Chapter 1)

Welcome to the first true chapter of this campaign. This is a pre-built adventure published as a book, but I'm keeping a couple of details in my pocket just to make it more interesting. I intend to break the campaign up into separate threads for each chapter, where a chapter generally encompasses a big quest-arc and the campaign the entire adventure.

Notes

Me as a Dungeon Master;
Probably the first thing to mention is that this is my first true run at DMing a game, just like it's a lot of your first time playing in one. As such I'm probably going to bumble through this and make some mistakes along the way. I'm also trying to leverage as many tools and things as I can to make this both easier and more interesting, which may adapt/change as we go depending on how well they work in practice.
  • I'm not going to use a lot of custom rules like some other more beardy DMs may, given that we're still trying to get the base mechanics down.
  • I will try to throw in some graphics and so on, to help paint a picture and give some more flavor to things. I probably won't be trying to put all of the party in many images all at once, as that gets challenging especially when using AI, but we'll see how it goes.
  • I'll generally put any "DM" dialog in {{double curly braces}} so that you'll know I'm asking/saying something in a came context, as opposed to any NPCs, etc. Though I'm also going to try to make all the NPC dialog stand out anyway.

You as a player;
I'm fairly sure all of you have minimal experience playing D&D as well, so hopefully the bumbling will be on both sides, but again the key is to have fun and learn as we go. I as such won't go as hard on the "your character has X background and their motivation is Y and they first learned what an upside-down pineapple meant at Z." Certainly take this campaign as an opportunity to build out your ideas about your character, as hopefully you'll be able to carry them over into another one (assuming you don't find some way to die horribly.)
  • If you want to establish a group leader between you all, that's cool. You can also not. Building the party dynamic and so on is part of the adventure.
  • You can set a preferred dialog color in your GWF profile and use the wizard hat icon in the editor to format it with the CHARACTER tags.
  • If you're taking any action that's going to influence the world at all, you must use formatting/the sword icon/ACTION tag to make the text bold green. This is to help me pick those out of the posts and tell when you're actually doing something.
  • Feel free to DM me privately if there's anything you want to do/know without the rest of the party seeing it. Likewise, I may DM you if only your character is privy to some information, etc.

Characters In This Game;
All characters will be starting out in this campaign at 1st level. If all goes well, you'll have the chance to progress to level 4.
  • We'll be using a "Milestone" level system, which basically means rather than tracking specific XP points, you'll generally gain levels upon completing a chapter of the campaign. This takes a lot of the number-grind out of progressing your character and should give more of a sense of accomplishment as we move along through the campaign, and keep everyone in the same range.
  • While all of your spells/abilities will work by the books, the way in which you use them is flexible as far as I'm concerned, especially if it has some roleplay purpose. For instance, if you're a character with high charisma you'll be effective at talking to people, performing, persuading, etc. even if you want to roleplay them as speaking with few words. If you can style your actions in a way that works and is interesting, we'll ignore a lot of the logic behind you being convincing despite the no talk good.

Time Progression in Game;
The passage of time is certainly something to bear in mind as you go about your adventures. This has bearing on many facets of the story, including (but not limited to);
  • The duration of some spells and how long you can use them - If your spell only lasts 1 hour, you should be cognizant of the fact this will at some point run out. Generally I will track the 'time' for you, and let you know when your spell effect runs out.
  • The time it takes you to take a short/long rest - Short rests are generally an hour long, like a coffee break where you can bandage some wounds, eat, stuff like that. Long rests are equivalent to 8 hours of sleep, and provides more effect than a short rest, such as recovering all of your hit points at once.
  • How things occur in the game world itself - As you're out in the world, it does take time to travel from place to place. There is a day/night cycle that may affect when you think it safer to travel. There could be elements such as tide-tables affecting water depth. Or if you're told an individual will be in X place at Y time and you decide to go to sleep during that window, they won't be there when you do arrive, etc.
Time Progression in Real Life;
So it seems most of us are on Eastern Standard time. Nae is 6 hours ahead of EST, and Smacktard is 8 hours ahead I believe. From what I can tell the chunk of time where most people are on will be 9-12pm, with some expanded time on the weekend depending on real-life things (100% understandable.) We'll absolutely try to make sure there is stuff happening at times that everyone can participate, though.
  • Before we get into the meat of the adventure, we'll gauge what works best for the flow of this. I'm undecided if I'll basically hit pause on action until X time when everyone's around, or if we can work out some way to stagger responses and just take them as they're available.
    • Some options are that you could send me your intented actions based on the events at the time you log off, and I can just run your character as an NPC during those times, based on their personality and the guidance you give before logging off.
    • Another option is that you could give the keys to another player for those windows and let them drive your character for you, which would allow for more dynamic response to events as they come up.

This thread;
This thread is the first real part of the adventure, following the prologue where we introduced the setting and got accustomed to how this was going to work.

Golden rule;
Have fun. Don't die.

Where we last left off

Prologue thread: https://gwforums.com/threads/journey-to-stormwreck-isle-1-p.1477/

Our intrepid party of adventurers has made their journey across the ocean via a merchant ship, being briefly harangued by a Merrow attempting to extort gold from them. In a confusing display of persuasion, they managed to evade paying any watery taxes as well as being jettisoned from the ship due to their nincompoopery.

They landed upon the rocky shores of Stormwreck Isle via rowboat, alighting on one of the few sandy patches of beach in a bay offering temporary shelter form the jagged rocks of the coastline. Collecting themselves, they did not make it very far before the gurgling moans of three drowned sailors rose from the waves. These waterlogged corpses rushed at the party, the fight seemingly impossible as the undead seemed to shrug off all mortal damage. The tide of the battle turned with the aid of Short Order and Moonsprout, respectively providing conventional support through frost magic, and unconventional support through seagull airstrike. Nac, the party's drunken monk, managed to twist the nipple off one zombie and then deal a fatal blow via a kick to the groin. Shattering the jaw of another zombie, he lured it away from the other remaining zombie and with the assistance of Zesty, eventually splattered it's brains across the grass with a devastating axe kick. The one remaining zombie locked in combat with Aims'Orreh delivered a forceful blow to the half-orc, before being skewered upon a javelin and flung across the beach.

Our party took a short rest to heal the wounds of Aims'Orreh, searched the bodies of the drowned sailors taking particular interest in a dagger with a phallic handle, and eventually continued up the path leading away from the beach. As they crested a small hill, the monastery temple of Dragon's Rest came into view. Perched on a cliff side, a path wound up the face of the cliff before reaching a large open-air temple at the very top, where a large statue stood in the center. Being the closest the party has to a religious follower, Nac succeeded in recalling absolutely nothing about the statue, but luckily the knowledge of Short Order provided some useful information; the statue depicted Bahamut, the Platinum Dragon, and progenitor of the good-aligned metallic dragons.

Now finding themselves in the middle of the long plaza towards the bottom of the path, the party was rushed by a hoard of diminutive Kobolds who assaulted them with viciously pointed questions. Two humans stood to the rear of the mob, watching with interest at what brought these adventurers to their cloister. The small excited voices of the Kobolds, that seldom see visitors would have continued to pry at the party, but were quieted upon the arrival of an elderly robed woman who carried an air of authority with her.

Our story continues...

Last edited:
OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
Aims greets the woman back and with his mind clearer and no threats in his sight, he steps forward for the group.

Greetings ma'am. We're merely a ragtag group of folks who've heared of a special place on here Stormwreck Island in many towns and cities and were very interested to personally find out if the rumors are true. That this place holds knowledge and maybe even truths about ourselves. Would you happen to be able to help us with finding out about if the stories are true? Or the very least guide us to the direction where we can find out ourselves?

elder.png"It looks like you've had quite the difficult journey reaching us," the woman says calmly, observing the hastily patched up wound on Aims'Orreh's side. "This is Dragon's Rest, and if your hearts harbor no ill intentions, you're welcome to stay here and..." she allows herself a small chuckle "rest."

She looks over the rest of the party, "My name is Runara, and I'm the Elder here. Please do make yourselves comfortable while you're with us. You'll find all of us have some reason for wanting to escape the violence of the outside world, and seek only to propagate peace."

Her eyes again fall to the scratches on Aims' side, "Did you perhaps encounter some unfortunately lost souls on the beaches?

Oh grower of herbs, surely you would be willing to part with some of your produce. Are any for sale? For trade? Has the dick dagger caught your eye?

It is my belief that certain herbs when smoked offer a path to enlightenment.

tarak.png"Well aside from the staples we cook most of the meals with" he says in a soft spoken voice as he gestures at the small garden plots along the plaza,"and I'm unfortunately fairly low on supplies, not having been able to visit my usual gathering spots for some time." A brief look of concern passes across his face as he speaks, before shaking it off.

Tarak narrows his eyes a little at Moonsprout, finally registering the latter part of the question, "Erm, I'm not one to question another's life choices. What you sheathe in your scabbard is your own business, we'd just appreciate you keeping the noise down and cleaning up after yourselves."

((The dick dagger had BETTER play a critical role now. :link))
((I find I immediately regret a lot of my "lol this would be funny" choices, because of unintentionally making them canon. But I think that's the bane of being a DM, so I guess I'm doing it right.))

Zesty's eyes scan and respectfully nod to everyone in the area. The group seems to be connecting fairly well with everyone of a like mind. Aims'Orreh is connecting with the elder human while Moonsprout is trying to pass off his phallic poniard on the herbalist of the group. While sensing no hostilities from the humans, Zesty is particularly aware of the as current nameless female, who he assumes to be some sort of ex-military based on appearance and posture and reaction to the group.

Zesty turns his attention to his like minded kobold, the winged one called Myla.

Tell me, Myla. What sort of things do you tinker with? I am a tinkerer by trade myself, and love finding creating ways to build new and useful things. It would be an honor if you could teach me something useful I could make from your culture.

myla.png"You tinker too? Oh! Not many people to talk to about trinkets I find around here." Myla says as she bounces up and down slightly, her wings twitching, though one doesn't seem as mobile as the other. "Me dabbles in everything I can, alchemy, engineering, magic... But I don't get to leave cloister much anymore, not since my brothers left."

Nac makes his way over to Agga, the older looking kobold.

'Tis a fine looking cloister ye got yerselves here! Might there be a place where we can rest our feet and perhaps wet our throats?

1705816571338.png"Hmph" the older Kobold makes a noise that sounds odd coming from reptilian vocal cords. "No tavern here. The first cell here is vacant," she says, gesturing at the first doorway carved into the cliff, "if you don't mind sharing the space."

She looks over her shoulder up the path, "and the kitchen is further up. We take turns cooking 3 times a day, if you want to eat."

The pack of kobolds bobbing up and down behind Runara start to lose interest, not wanting to interrupt while the Elder is speaking. They begin to dissipate and return to their preferred spots around the cloister, including Agga who seems disinterested in speaking further. She ushers some of the more energetic Kobolds past the large dragon statue and towards the last two cells carved into the cliff along the plaza. Myla remains where she is.

Tarak moves to pull some weeds from one of the flowerbeds by the cliff, but doesn't seem to dismiss further conversation. The other human seems lost in thought for a moment, assessing each of you in turn, but seems to settle on trusting the Elder's welcoming tone. She spins sharply on her heels and walks off up the cliff path and out of sight as she turns the switchback leading further up.

The hour is around 7pm and the color is beginning to drain from the clear skies, the blue hues reflected in the water taking on the dull grey of twilight.

((As always, apologies it took a bit to get this together, but I'll try to keep it rolling along more now.

This place will serve as the central hub for the campaign so know that you can come back here at any point to rest up, resupply, etc. What you do and where you go from here is largely your choice, and like any DM should, I'll try to adapt on the fly for whatever you want to do. But know there are a few particular problems on this island that you can try to uncover.))

Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd

Full-time time waster
((Ditto. No ping.

It's late and I need sleep. But we can have a good chat with folks here in character. We got 3 leads currently for things so we can see what we can gleam from those. Three of us are already in convos that can be fruitful, so for Nae and Alu, you can join in on the convos, go explore around more, or... do whatever really. More or less I'm saying until we decide to leave, feel free to do things without pressure from waiting. :^ Applies to everyone. Go have fun.))

Moonsprout Beandirt

Connoisseur of fine video games
"Well aside from the staples we cook most of the meals with" he says in a soft spoken voice as he gestures at the small garden plots along the plaza,"and I'm unfortunately fairly low on supplies, not having been able to visit my usual gathering spots for some time." A brief look of concern passes across his face as he speaks, before shaking it off.
Dang, that sucks.
Tarak narrows his eyes a little at Moonsprout, finally registering the latter part of the question, "Erm, I'm not one to question another's life choices. What you sheathe in your scabbard is your own business, we'd just appreciate you keeping the noise down and cleaning up after yourselves."
Moonsprout is a bit taken aback at having been shot down without even having made a move.

When mentioning the dick dagger, I meant an exchange of goods rather than an exchange of fluids. But maybe what I sheathe in my scabbard could be your business, too.

Moonsprout gives the gardener a wink.

Speaking of, maybe you can show me to my new dwelling?

Nac McWeeble

Incense & Iron
((Double ditto, also no ping/notification))

Oof, shot down.. Nac mutters to himself.

He looks around and sees most of his fellow adventurers talking to different beings, so he wanders off in search of the kitchen where, if not something to drink, he can get something to fill his stomach.

Perhaps they'll have some cooking wine or sometin'...

Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd

Full-time time waster
Her eyes again fall to the scratches on Aims' side, "Did you perhaps encounter some unfortunately lost souls on the beaches?
We did indeed miss Runara. There were a few unsavory rotten waterlogged folks welcoming us at the beach. One did manage to sucker punch me god for underestimating it. That fellow must've been a sweet fighter when it was alive. Nothing compared to my prowess, hahaha!
Aims let's out a good laugh, clearly full of himself. Or maybe half full. He does own a large ax

Ahem, but those aliven't folks, do you happen to know something about them? It is a bit surprising to see undead folks about.

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
((Not sure about the pings. We'd seen that kinda thing happen before, and I'm going to assume it's because I copied the first post and used it to start this new thread. Kinda dumb though. @A Pen Pineapple Apple Pen @Nae'blis @Smacktard @Jawneh @Jon Trying again.))

Dang, that sucks.

Moonsprout is a bit taken aback at having been shot down without even having made a move.

When mentioning the dick dagger, I meant an exchange of goods rather than an exchange of fluids. But maybe what I sheathe in my scabbard could be your business, too.

Moonsprout gives the gardener a wink.

Speaking of, maybe you can show me to my new dwelling?

tarak.png"Look, buddy, I don't yuck anyone's yum, but I don't swing that way." he looks a little exasperated by your line of questioning. "And as I told you, I've run short on supplies and haven't been able to restock from my usual spot in the caves for a few weeks, so unless you want a potion made from potatoes, you're out of luck."

He stands and points towards the first door carved in the rock. "You heard Agga. Your quarters are over there." With that, he turns and walks off up the path towards the upper-levels.

((Double ditto, also no ping/notification))

Oof, shot down.. Nac mutters to himself.

He looks around and sees most of his fellow adventurers talking to different beings, so he wanders off in search of the kitchen where, if not something to drink, he can get something to fill his stomach.

Perhaps they'll have some cooking wine or sometin'...

You wander off up the path, finding yourself trailing a few Kobolds who you begin following on the assumption they know where the food is at. After climbing a few sets of stairs, as the path starts to double back on itself, you pass one of the few free-standing buildings in the cloister; a small building with a peaked roof and a weathered wooden door, which hangs slightly out over the cliff and the bay below. You continue past it following the Kobolds, who excitedly flock into the next doorway carved through the rock. Inside, you see the Kobolds take spots at a long dinner table, where the other human is already seated. A few moments later, Tarak approaches from the path below and nods politely as he walks into the doorway and to the small kitchen in the back, where he begins preparing the evening's meal.

((Green circle is the kitchen. Red circle is the quarters you can use. I'm not going to bother fogging up this area since it's the hub, but I won't give you a description of each spot until you actively go and visit/investigate them.))

Screenshot 2024-01-21 2.12.50 PM.png

We did indeed miss Runara. There were a few unsavory rotten waterlogged folks welcoming us at the beach. One did manage to sucker punch me god for underestimating it. That fellow must've been a sweet fighter when it was alive. Nothing compared to my prowess, hahaha!
Aims let's out a good laugh, clearly full of himself. Or maybe half full. He does own a large ax

Ahem, but those aliven't folks, do you happen to know something about them? It is a bit surprising to see undead folks about.

elder.png"Well I thank you for assisting in defending our cloister." she says as she smiles warmly. "Yes, indeed. They weren't a problem we dealt with until a few months ago. Now every so often they crawl from the ocean and have made routine activities like fishing quite difficult. Barely any of the Kobold want to go to the shore anymore." a look of concern passes over Runara's face as she thinks of some prior unpleasant encounter. "I don't know from where they originate, but they've all appeared to be the lost souls of sailors, judging by the nautical clothing that cling to them."

Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd

Full-time time waster
"Well I thank you for assisting in defending our cloister." she says as she smiles warmly. "Yes, indeed. They weren't a problem we dealt with until a few months ago. Now every so often they crawl from the ocean and have made routine activities like fishing quite difficult. Barely any of the Kobold want to go to the shore anymore." a look of concern passes over Runara's face as she thinks of some prior unpleasant encounter. "I don't know from where they originate, but they've all appeared to be the lost souls of sailors, judging by the nautical clothing that cling to them."
Aims frowns and crosses his arms.

It seems some folks from here have also had some unfortunate meetings with them. And not come back...
His voice trails off as he is reminded of his own past again. Twice within the same day no less.

I might be of help in dealing with these undead. Though I cannot speak for the whole group of ours, I'm sure they will also be enticed for a reward befitting of the task. If you have any clues or know of someone who has heard or seen anything suspicious we can probably go investigate.

Nac McWeeble

Incense & Iron
Nac approaches the human at the table, and gives her a slight smile, sitting down opposite her.

Hello lass, I saw you and wanted ta' insure ye that me an' my fellow adventurers didnae come here ta start troubles. We came to this place ta find answers and perhaps enlightenment. The name's Nac McWeeble. Has there been problems with people makin' trouble here?

Short Order addresses Runara...

So you say the dead face been coming for a few months now. Anything change recently you think? Anyone new show up or anyone pick up any trinkets? I could take a look around to see if I could find anything that could be causing you issues. Would you mind having someone show us around to the other quarters to see what I can identify?

Zesty Zapcrackle

Shitposting Development Manager
((Sorry, was at Disney all day with the family. I only got one ping notice, so I assume, based off others' feedback, I wouldn't have gotten the one last night, but I was asleep anyway.

@A Pen Pineapple Apple Pen @Jawneh @Smacktard @Nae'blis - It feels to me, based on several responses: herbalist, Runara, Myla - that the village is dealing with SOMETHING preventing them from being able to resupply. Perhaps it's pertinent for us to prod the cause and adventure to help them solve the reasoning why? Seems fair repayment for them letting us crash here and would allow us to "pull our weight" as the herbalist had recommended. Also, Kelly, if you succeeded in making that guy sleep with you and your dick dagger I would probably die laughing.))

Feeling a connection to Myla, Zesty stays with her to talk a little more. He has a sense of duty to learn more as he feels she could teach him something new. As knowledge is superior to Zesty, he's taken an immediate connection to her.

Forgive me if I'm intruding, Myla, but I would like to learn more about your inability to continue your craft. You mentioned you do not get to tinker much anymore because you don't go out much since your brothers left? Is there a reason? For me, knowledge and tinkering are part of who I am. It feels you are much like this and if something is preventing you from being able to continue tinkering, I should very much like to assist you!

Zesty attempts to obtain information from Myla to see if there is a quest he could fulfill to allow her to keep tinkering.

((@Ben - I couldn't think of how exactly to word that, but I'm essentially trying to see if there is something preventing her from going out and getting items. It feels like the herbalist was hinting something in the caves is preventing him from gather resources, so I'm wondering if I can piece together something from Myla to give us a location to go, clean out mobs, find something.... you know, just a path to a quest.))

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
Aims frowns and crosses his arms.

It seems some folks from here have also had some unfortunate meetings with them. And not come back...
His voice trails off as he is reminded of his own past again. Twice within the same day no less.

I might be of help in dealing with these undead. Though I cannot speak for the whole group of ours, I'm sure they will also be enticed for a reward befitting of the task. If you have any clues or know of someone who has heard or seen anything suspicious we can probably go investigate.
elder.png

Runara​
"We haven't actually lost anyone yet, thankfully. But there have been some close calls." she smiles reassuringly, "We may not be able to offer much by way of treasure if that's what you seek, but we will gladly impart our knowledge. You should speak with the others in the monastery, they'll probably have more current information about those undead than I."

Short Order addresses Runara...

So you say the dead face been coming for a few months now. Anything change recently you think? Anyone new show up or anyone pick up any trinkets? I could take a look around to see if I could find anything that could be causing you issues. Would you mind having someone show us around to the other quarters to see what I can identify?
elder.png

Runara​
Runara turns from Aims'Orreh as you speak up, "Ah. May Bahamut watch over you." She nods, acknowledging your recognition of the temple's deity. "There haven't been any new visitors to our enclave in quite a while, in fact you're the first new faces in perhaps 6 months. We see ships drawing close to the island occasionally, but it's been a time since anyone made it to shore."

Runara smiles showing wrinkles around her warm hazel eyes, "You're welcome to explore the cloister, and visit the temple above. Just please respect the privacy of others. As mentioned, the first room is open for your group to share." She gestures again at the first open doorway. "The rest of these rooms are occupied by our residents."

She looks back towards the last two doorways, "If you can find one of our younger kobolds not in the kitchen, they may welcome the excuse to give you a tour, but you're also welcome to eat first and explore later."

Nac approaches the human at the table, and gives her a slight smile, sitting down opposite her.

Hello lass, I saw you and wanted ta' insure ye that me an' my fellow adventurers didnae come here ta start troubles. We came to this place ta find answers and perhaps enlightenment. The name's Nac McWeeble. Has there been problems with people makin' trouble here?
varnoth.png
Woman​
The stern looking woman stares at you while chewing on some bread, considering you. "...One of the core beliefs of everyone here is that we all deserve a second chance and can atone for our past lives, so... I should extend the same opportunity to you all. Even if you don't look like the usual visitors to our temple. I suppose once, each of us seemed out of place here."

She puts the bread down on a wooden plate in front of her, placing her palms up on the tabletop. "My name is Varnoth. And to answer your question, no, not people. Myla had a run in with some stirges a few weeks back, and the zombies crawling up from the beach are becoming a more regular problem." she looks down to the left slightly, thinking, "Now I think about it, I saw a ship to the North of the island veer off course suddenly and run aground on some of the rocks, and the undead started to appear again shortly after."

((Sorry, was at Disney all day with the family. I only got one ping notice, so I assume, based off others' feedback, I wouldn't have gotten the one last night, but I was asleep anyway.

@A Pen Pineapple Apple Pen @Jawneh @Smacktard @Nae'blis - It feels to me, based on several responses: herbalist, Runara, Myla - that the village is dealing with SOMETHING preventing them from being able to resupply. Perhaps it's pertinent for us to prod the cause and adventure to help them solve the reasoning why? Seems fair repayment for them letting us crash here and would allow us to "pull our weight" as the herbalist had recommended. Also, Kelly, if you succeeded in making that guy sleep with you and your dick dagger I would probably die laughing.))

Feeling a connection to Myla, Zesty stays with her to talk a little more. He has a sense of duty to learn more as he feels she could teach him something new. As knowledge is superior to Zesty, he's taken an immediate connection to her.

Forgive me if I'm intruding, Myla, but I would like to learn more about your inability to continue your craft. You mentioned you do not get to tinker much anymore because you don't go out much since your brothers left? Is there a reason? For me, knowledge and tinkering are part of who I am. It feels you are much like this and if something is preventing you from being able to continue tinkering, I should very much like to assist you!

Zesty attempts to obtain information from Myla to see if there is a quest he could fulfill to allow her to keep tinkering.

((@Ben - I couldn't think of how exactly to word that, but I'm essentially trying to see if there is something preventing her from going out and getting items. It feels like the herbalist was hinting something in the caves is preventing him from gather resources, so I'm wondering if I can piece together something from Myla to give us a location to go, clean out mobs, find something.... you know, just a path to a quest.))
myla.png
Myla​
She looks a little ashamed, and subconsciously flexes her right wing a little. ",,,Me attacked by hungry, icky, blood-sucking bat things the last time tried looking for lost items to work with. Normally brothers came and it safer, but they left...", she seems to have a hard time saying the last words, with an expression mixed with sadness and disappointment.

"You can come by later and check out some things me found, my door is fourth, but me kinda want to go eat, mister." she says, with the tone that implies she's trying to politely get out of the conversation.

Moonsprout Beandirt

"Look, buddy, I don't yuck anyone's yum, but I don't swing that way." he looks a little exasperated by your line of questioning. "And as I told you, I've run short on supplies and haven't been able to restock from my usual spot in the caves for a few weeks, so unless you want a potion made from potatoes, you're out of luck."

He stands and points towards the first door carved in the rock. "You heard Agga. Your quarters are over there." With that, he turns and walks off up the path towards the upper-levels

Geez, what a drag. That guy's got some serious pent up sexual energy. Goshly types are always so boring and repressed.

I wonder what caves he was referring to.

Hey, lil scaly dude,
Moonsprout says, addressing one of the nearby kobolds,
What caves do you normally get your herbs from? And what's with that gardener? Is he always so ornery?

Zesty Zapcrackle

Zesty picks up the tone from the winged kobold and does not wish to tie her up any longer.

By all means, do not let my presence prevent you from eating. I very much look forward to looking at the things you've collected at a later time.

With that, Zesty bids Myla a fond farewell, and makes for the first room that had been opened for the adventurers. Not feeling particularly hungry, and not wishing to cause any discomfort to Myla as she was looking for food, Zesty passes Short Order on the way to the room, lowering his head to speak in a hushed tone to the gnome...

Gnome, I shall be resting in our room and planning a course of action. Please let me know when the group has gathered their information, and we should get together to share what we've learned and plan our next destination.

Zesty nods slightly in Aims'Orreh's direction before disappearing into the room prepared for the group.

((Just moving my character along. When you guys are set, we can discuss next steps. :) ))

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
Zesty picks up the tone from the winged kobold and does not wish to tie her up any longer.

By all means, do not let my presence prevent you from eating. I very much look forward to looking at the things you've collected at a later time.

With that, Zesty bids Myla a fond farewell, and makes for the first room that had been opened for the adventurers. Not feeling particularly hungry, and not wishing to cause any discomfort to Myla as she was looking for food, Zesty passes Short Order on the way to the room, lowering his head to speak in a hushed tone to the gnome...

Gnome, I shall be resting in our room and planning a course of action. Please let me know when the group has gathered their information, and we should get together to share what we've learned and plan our next destination.

Zesty nods slightly in Aims'Orreh's direction before disappearing into the room prepared for the group.

((Just moving my character along. When you guys are set, we can discuss next steps. :) ))
myla.png
Myla​
"Thanks, mister. Bahamut give you rest." She nods politely then starts walking slowly off up the path.

Geez, what a drag. That guy's got some serious pent up sexual energy. Goshly types are always so boring and repressed.

I wonder what caves he was referring to.

Hey, lil scaly dude,
Moonsprout says, addressing one of the nearby kobolds,
What caves do you normally get your herbs from? And what's with that gardener? Is he always so ornery?
myla.png
Myla​
Myla turns as she walks slowly past and you holler at her. She blinks an inner set of eyelids few times trying to register what you mean.

"Herbs? Oh, mister Tarak. He used to get more mushyrooms when out, but not for a while. Shame, he cooks them good. Healing potions, too! They're fun to watch him make...."

She continues walking on, having drifted off into thinking about alchemy and her stomach drove her to locomotion.

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
((Just to spot check, how's this dialog format working for you guys? Clear enough if I'm just quoting what each NPC is responding to? Kinda got gnarly on me since you all wound up talking to a ton of different NPCs at once, where I guess table top it'd go more one dialog at a time, even if the party was split. It's fine as is, I kinda like it more, but yeah, still takes a while for me to get the formatting right, etc. Might be why the responses slowed down, I wanted to do them justice and not rush it while my kids were busy.))

Moonsprout Beandirt

((Just to spot check, how's this dialog format working for you guys? Clear enough if I'm just quoting what each NPC is responding to? Kinda got gnarly on me since you all wound up talking to a ton of different NPCs at once, where I guess table top it'd go more one dialog at a time, even if the party was split. It's fine as is, I kinda like it more, but yeah, still takes a while for me to get the formatting right, etc. Might be why the responses slowed down, I wanted to do them justice and not rush it while my kids were busy.))
((I like it. You've been handling it really well so far. It can get a little confusing trying to remember who was talking to whom and how their discussion has been evolving given how we bounce back and forth between different characters and different narratives. I do kind of like it though as each character has one NPC that they're more interested in or engaged with. We can follow our own personal tangents or character-specific interests, which makes it feel more authentic than just talking to each NPC one-by-one.))

Nac McWeeble

Incense & Iron
((I like it. You've been handling it really well so far. It can get a little confusing trying to remember who was talking to whom and how their discussion has been evolving given how we bounce back and forth between different characters and different narratives. I do kind of like it though as each character has one NPC that they're more interested in or engaged with. We can follow our own personal tangents or character-specific interests, which makes it feel more authentic than just talking to each NPC one-by-one.))
((What he said! :link

I'll see if I can get a post up when I'm at my break, starting work in a couple of minutes.

Also a heads up, tomorrow will be the 3 year "anniversary" of the day my dad died, so I don't know how much I'll post. It depends on how I'm feeling.. It might not be an issue, but atleast you know if I'm not responding. If any decisions come up I'll go with the consensus of the group.))

Moonsprout Beandirt

I'll see if I can get a post up when I'm at my break, starting work in a couple of minutes.

Also a heads up, tomorrow will be the 3 year "anniversary" of the day my dad died, so I don't know how much I'll post. It depends on how I'm feeling.. It might not be an issue, but atleast you know if I'm not responding. If any decisions come up I'll go with the consensus of the group.))
((No pressure mate, you feel free to join us when you can. I don't think we're in a rush. We can wait for you until you're ready))

• Agree
Reactions: Ben

Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd

Full-time time waster
Aims feels his stomach starting to make a campaign to go devour a whole swine. They did mention a kitchen exists towards the back...

Well, thank you for your time miss Runara. I shall go and venture towards the kitchen area and maybe chat up some folks there. Enjoy your evening.
Aims pounds his fist against his heart, the old orc soldier's salute. He then starts off walking towards the back, but turns to yell towards Moonsprout:

Hey! Most of us are off to eat! Shove that dagger up your own and make haste to eat! I got a couple rations to throw into whatever they're cooking tonight.
And with that and a wave off to Moonsprout, Aims starts walking off to the kitchen. Once in there, he looks around for whoever is doing the cooking and hollers out:

I got no idea what we got for food today, but I got a few bags of rations to share. Thanks to the extra mouths to feed and all. It's not much, but maybe you can make magic happen.

• Haha
Reactions: Jon

Moonsprout Beandirt

"Herbs? Oh, mister Tarak. He used to get more mushyrooms when out, but not for a while. Shame, he cooks them good. Healing potions, too! They're fun to watch him make...."

M... MUSHROOMS?

Moonsprout's eyes widen, his heart quickens, and he starts to quiver anxiously, as excitable as a dog anticipating its next pat.

LIL DUDE, he shouts to Short Order, though the gnome is a mite taller than Moonsprout himself,
DON'T YOU WANT IN ON THIS ACTION? THERE'S MUSHROOMS IN YONDER CAVE, Moonsprout says, gesturing further up the mountain towards an area that supposedly contains a mushroom-laden cave.

Moonsprout hears his green companion mention lunch (undoubtedly mushroomless) and stares at him blankly. He weighs his gurgling stomach against a treasure trove of potentially psychonautical fungi. He's made up his mind.

Well? he says to Short Order, as he starts to stomp up the hill.
Are you coming or not?

Moonsprout starts walking up the hill towards the mushroom caves supposed to be in the area.

((Edit: @Ben, can you remove the character tags introducing a line break every time they're used))

Nac McWeeble

Incense & Iron
Nac tips an imaginary hat towards the woman.

Thank ye, miss Varnoth, for giving us the benefit o' the doubt.
Aye, we were attacked by a few zombies on the beach when we made landfall, though we managed to fend 'em off mostly unharmed. Perhaps me an' my fellow adventurers can take a look and investigate tha crashed ship, an' see if we can find the reason for these undead pests bothering this fine cloister. How far up the island would ye estimate this ship to be?

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian

((Do not worry about it at all, my dude. You join us when you can, but we'll definitely be here as a distraction if you need it. 1705934550216.png))

Zesty Zapcrackle

((Edit: @Ben, can you remove the character tags introducing a line break every time they're used))
((I believe I recall this being something Lee was working on. The character tags I think were more complicated and he was working to make it work without the line breaks. I was gonna tag Lee here to answer, but I don't want to derail Ben's game thread. May want to ping Lee in a different thread and ask for an update?))

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
((I believe I recall this being something Lee was working on. The character tags I think were more complicated and he was working to make it work without the line breaks. I was gonna tag Lee here to answer, but I don't want to derail Ben's game thread. May want to ping Lee in a different thread and ask for an update?))

((1705934666254.png

It was a bug that I'd asked them to look into, but I can prod it again. Or if I can, I'll actually go looking for the code myself so they don't have to put time into it for us.

And I'll get some of these responses out if I can, before my daily leadership meeting.))

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
Aims feels his stomach starting to make a campaign to go devour a whole swine. They did mention a kitchen exists towards the back...

Well, thank you for your time miss Runara. I shall go and venture towards the kitchen area and maybe chat up some folks there. Enjoy your evening.
Aims pounds his fist against his heart, the old orc soldier's salute. He then starts off walking towards the back, but turns to yell towards Moonsprout:

Hey! Most of us are off to eat! Shove that dagger up your own and make haste to eat! I got a couple rations to throw into whatever they're cooking tonight.
And with that and a wave off to Moonsprout, Aims starts walking off to the kitchen. Once in there, he looks around for whoever is doing the cooking and hollers out:

I got no idea what we got for food today, but I got a few bags of rations to share. Thanks to the extra mouths to feed and all. It's not much, but maybe you can make magic happen.

Tarak turns from the kitchen, directly across from the entrance door, with furrowed eyebrows at first, but they raise to a look of pleasant surprise.

You reach into your pack and rummage around for the packs of rations, realizing you'd acquired these on the ship from what the sailors provided you, before the Merrow made things messy, and hadn't actually checked what was inside.

You give Tarak 2 bags of rations.

tarak.png
Tarak​
"Well thank you. I'll always welcome something other than vegetables for once." he says with a smile as he unwraps the binding around the rations and dumps them out on a cutting board in front of him. A few blocks of salted pork, one carrot and a parsnip, and a small amount of bread falls out of each one. "Oh, that'll work." He smiles and grabs a knife, which deftly spins around his fingers before starting to slice into the meat. "We don't have a lot of texture variation most days, since that damned octopus thing showed up in front of Seagrow Caves. Now I can't get in there even at low tide! Shame, I wonder how those mushroom folks are doing..." concern again crosses his face, but he shakes it off quickly and goes back to cooking.

Nac tips an imaginary hat towards the woman.

Thank ye, miss Varnoth, for giving us the benefit o' the doubt.
Aye, we were attacked by a few zombies on the beach when we made landfall, though we managed to fend 'em off mostly unharmed. Perhaps me an' my fellow adventurers can take a look and investigate tha crashed ship, an' see if we can find the reason for these undead pests bothering this fine cloister. How far up the island would ye estimate this ship to be?

varnoth.png
Varnoth​
"I'd say they're all about two and a half miles out to the North of the island. I don't know what's special about that one spot, though. You could try asking Runara, she's been here forever, it seems." she pauses as Aims'Orreh comes into the kitchen, bellowing into the kitchen about food. "I know his type."

Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd

Full-time time waster
"Well thank you. I'll always welcome something other than vegetables for once." he says with a smile as he unwraps the binding around the rations and dumps them out on a cutting board in front of him. A few blocks of salted pork, one carrot and a parsnip, and a small amount of bread falls out of each one. "Oh, that'll work." He smiles and grabs a knife, which deftly spins around his fingers before starting to slice into the meat. "We don't have a lot of texture variation most days, since that damned octopus thing showed up in front of Seagrow Caves. Now I can't get in there even at low tide! Shame, I wonder how those mushroom folks are doing..." concern again crosses his face, but he shakes it off quickly and goes back to cooking.
Aims starts salivating.

Ohh, I haven't had roast octopus in quite a while. And I had been looking for something bigger to slay. Say... Do you happen to have any recipes related to octopus? Would be a shame if we walked back here with it and there's none to prepare it.
He grins widely eager to go already.

The ol' 1-2 punch of getting a reliable guide to get us there as well as help prep it on site would also be great. No pressure though. Think it through while we all eat.

Nac McWeeble

Incense & Iron
((
Everytime I hear this song it makes me think our little ragtag group of adventurers. So this is now our unofficial theme song! :rock :happydance ))

Ah, then I'll be sure ta ask her when she gets here for dinner.

Nac looks around the room, as it begins to fill up, to see if he can spot Runara anywhere. He makes some small talk with Varnoth while waiting for the food and Runara.

Moonsprout Beandirt

YES, LET'S GET IT.

Moonsprout strides forward as fast as his legs can carry him. That is, until he hears his comrade ask the following, and it stops him in his tracks.

Which way are we going?
I uhh... I don't actually know. Hmm. If you were a mushroom, where would you be? You should know this, right? Don't gnomes live among mushrooms, or something?

What plans have you for these? Recreation at hand here?
My plan is to eat them and then see what happens.

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
YES, LET'S GET IT.

Moonsprout strides forward as fast as his legs can carry him. That is, until he hears his comrade ask the following, and it stops him in his tracks.

I uhh... I don't actually know. Hmm. If you were a mushroom, where would you be? You should know this, right? Don't gnomes live among mushrooms, or something?

My plan is to eat them and then see what happens.

Short Order screams Get off yet ass, zesty. Come be a fungi with us. We can discuss the next steps while Moonsprout rolls around with a fungi in his mouth.

You start to walk out of the monetary, blindly picking a random direction because you're blazed like an ent.

This of course meant back the way you came, as that's the only exit to this place. The other end of the path is the temple, at least another 50 feet up on the cliff.

((@Smacktard @A Pen Pineapple Apple Pen How far are you walking? And which direction?))

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
Moonsprout rubs his temples in an attempt to recall some information about the island's terrain
You remember the island having a ridge of mountains running from east to west almost the entire length of it, where they drop to a small valley before another mountain range from the north to south runs downward. Where the mountains are not pushing towards the skies, the island is coated in relatively dense woodland. You approached via ship from the north east, to where Dragon's Rest lay nestled in a cove, and did not see any caves of note on this side of the island.

Moonsprout Beandirt

Maybe we should have asked which cave was the right one before taking off. If we're going to start searching places at random we might want to bring some muscle with us.
Could you maybe go to the dining area and ask that musty-looking guy with the neck tattoo where the cave is?

I, uh... I think I'd prefer to wait here...

There's a twinge of pain in Moonsprout's voice. He plops down on a nearby rock and starts playing his grass whistle.
Oh, and could you bring me back a sandwich or something?

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
((Just to give you some sense of bearings, you're here. This is Dragon's Rest. This is the general surrounding area you can see, and the sense of the island's shape you got from the ship. You do not know anything more specific about the island at present.

1705995514059.png))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom