Campaign Stormwreck Isle; Curse of Compass Rose (1-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 3 - Curse of the Compass Rose
View attachment 357_Promontory.mp3

title.png

MAP:

THE STORY SO FAR:

THE QUEST:
  • The party seeks the wreck of the Compass Rose, a ship that went down decades ago and may be linked to the undead incursion.

THE LOCATION:

THE PARTY:
aimsorreh.png1000004899.jpg
moonsprout.png1000004901.jpg
short.png1000004905.jpg
nac.png1000004903.jpg
zesty.png1000004907.jpg

ITEM GLOSSARY:
ImageNameValue (per) copper.pngsilver.pnggold.pngWeight (per)Description
file-pVmgHgYEB9YKYx2GtAASY75F.png
Wind Spore Mushrooms
30 gold.png0.06 lbsA rare fungus with a unique magical property. When a creature squeezes a wind spore mushroom's cap, it releases a small cloud of spores. For 1 hour, the creature doesn't need to breathe, as the spores provide it with oxygen.
file-moYw6GogFv7wpuA90IyNwKTo.png
Obsidian Chunk
10 gold.png1 lbAn uncut opaque black gemstone.
file-D8FV3REG53vwt44CZPF5gFDU.png
Heart Cap Mushrooms
30 gold.png0.2 lbsThese mushrooms bear an unsettling resemblance to human hearts.
file-qdHIQqxCkWhZME6ymOpQj50s.png
Potion of Healing
50 gold.png0.5 lbsThis potion's red liquid glimmers when agitated. You regain 2d4+2 hit points when you drink this potion.
file-Wvp782vE4qJWR2QTy1tcpOXR.pngA Fine Lute
file-qUiTfpHVb3SLLXv10Ep2Xyya.pngBoots of ElvenkindWhile you wear these boots, your steps make no sound, regardless of the surface you are moving across. You also have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks that rely on moving silently.
file-EF5LK9mU1tyc9CrzMQNFhGQq.pngSpell Scroll of Command

THE STORY CONTINUES:
Having departed from Dragon's Rest for the second time, your band of adventurers slowly make their way down the mountain paths towards the shore where you first landed. The journey is uneventful and peaceful, a welcome contrast to the carnage the party has faced since arriving on the island. Songbirds flutter across the path ahead of you as they dart back and forth between bushes, hunting the insects they harbor. Your walk down to the water does not take more than a half hour however, so the ramble through nature is fleeting.

Returning to the beach where you had fought the zombies, the party find the scene just as you left it. The battered corpses of the drowned sailors lay immobile where they were slain, the putrid grey flesh not appealing to any scavengers and having been left untouched. Your group moves cautiously past the bodies, one by one each battling the anxiety that the monsters will spring up again and attack.

The five of you convene on the short wooden dock. There is an old fishing net dangling over the edge and trailing in the water, where it appears to be tangled within a clump of seaweed. Several short lengths of aging rope are knotted here and there around the thick posts, some having been cut free in haste rather than untied. A rowboat not dissimilar to the one you arrived in is tethered to the dock, and you see a pair of oars laying across the seats. The boat appears big enough for 4 medium sized passengers.

North of your position, you can see a long spur of sharp rocks jutting from the ocean waves, extending several miles out.​

INITIATIVE:
https://improvedinitiative.app/p/e88bk48y

Last edited:
  • Seen
Reactions: TD
OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
Short Order, taking the shiny fun object that was given to him, begins walking down the stairs to below the water

((not using the Spore yet - just planning on spending my normal hold your breath time to see what can be found out and then heading back up the stairs to breathe again))

short-png.12022

|hold2.png

You wet.|

Zesty sees what caused the hole in the captains quarters and the hold above clearly being this chest that toppled on its head. His first instinct is to see if it’s possible to flip the chest over though he suspects it weighs too much since it crashed through two floors. His hope is the weightlessness of the water may help with enough leverage. He places his knife between his teeth and attempts to flip the chest.

Zesty tries to flip the chest.

zesty-png.12023

Zesty Zapcrackle
@Jon
| You grab hold of one handle on the side of the chest, and heave against it. To your surprise, the chest moves relatively easily despite its clear weight. You're able to turn the chest over, and it now rests on its base. |

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
((I was going to suggest the knob end of the dick dagger. Oh well.))
((Somewhat assumed everyone forgot about that item. Wonder if there was a reason I made a point of having you continue carrying it. :thinking ))

Aims walks over below deck where folks are deciding on their order of going under the surface. He groans and irks at the thought of going further than where he is now.

Have at it folks. Let me know what happens under there. Ill be around here and... ohh, maybe bust open some barrels! Hahaa!

Aims walks over to any barrels and crates that are shut closed starts prying them open with his ax.

aimsorreh-png.12019

Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd
@Jawneh
|It takes you about 10 minutes to manage to pry the lid off of a crate without entirely smashing it in a rage.

When you finally succeed, you rummage through ancient straw padding to find the contents.

You find a fine lute, with mother-of-pearl inlay.

file-Wvp782vE4qJWR2QTy1tcpOXR.png

There are more crates around.|

((I realized I probably shouldn't be giving you the actual value of anything... Rather, that's more something I should make you go find someone to appraise things for.))

Zesty Zapcrackle

Shitposting Development Manager
((Ok, so since my con modifier is 3 I assume I can hold breath for 4 minutes right? Hopefully you’ll let me know how long things take so I know when to take a breath.))

With the chest upright, Zesty checks the lock to see if he can open the chest.

Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd

Full-time time waster
Once Moonsprout comes around to look at the lute, Aims will continue to pry things apart. But only for the next two containers before he gets fed up and axes the rest open.

((I'm on vacation in Japan for the next 2.5 weeks so put me mostly on autopilot for the time being. Sorry guys, won't be able to keep up))

... but nobody came.

Thus not worrying about the genocide of monsters, Aims continues his original plan of busting up crates. He tugs away the lute in his bag for now.

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
((Ok, so since my con modifier is 3 I assume I can hold breath for 4 minutes right? Hopefully you’ll let me know how long things take so I know when to take a breath.))

With the chest upright, Zesty checks the lock to see if he can open the chest.

zesty-png.12023

Zesty Zapcrackle
@Jon
|You reach through the cold water and fumble for the latch on the chest. Your fingers work the lock free and the lid of the chest bursts open as a large air-bubble pushes out and up towards the surface. An object floats up with the bubble and out of the hole to the lower deck.

Inside the chest, you find;
  • A pouch containing 55 gp.
  • Three turquoise stones.
  • A pair of Boots of Elvenkind.
    • While you wear these boots, your steps make no sound, regardless of the surface you are moving across. You also have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks that rely on moving silently.
file-qUiTfpHVb3SLLXv10Ep2Xyya.png|

Wet Order moves over towards Zesty and investigates the area between the two of them, then moves toward the sand and broken edge of the ship.

Glub glub

|hold3.png

The rear of the ship has largely caved in, with an embankment of sand leading out to the open ocean beyond. There is nothing of particular note here.|

Once Moonsprout comes around to look at the lute, Aims will continue to pry things apart. But only for the next two containers before he gets fed up and axes the rest open.

aimsorreh-png.12019

Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd
@Jawneh
|You take your time to pry off another 2 lids.

Inside the first you find:
  • Ten small 1-pound bars of silver.
  • A spell scroll of Command.
    • You can only use a spell scroll if the spell is on your classes spell list. Command is a Cleric/Paladin spell, so unless any of you decide to multi-class you'll probably have to find somewhere to sell it.
file-EF5LK9mU1tyc9CrzMQNFhGQq.png
The rest of the crates, had they held anything valuable, are destroyed as you begin smashing things. You find no more to open.|

((Can Moonsprout maybe do a deep slumber or something and join up with the gang later? Idk I don't want to slow everything down. Whatever the best solution is for you guys))
((I suppose he could stay at Dragon's Rest and sit out the final part of the chapter, though then Moonsprout would be missing out on the XP, etc. and I don't really want you to have to fall behind just because of vacation.

I could also run him as an NPC of sorts if you want him to tag along regardless. You can give me some parameters for how you want him to behave and I'll stick to that.))

Last edited:
  • Chef’s Kiss
Reactions: Jon

Zesty Zapcrackle

Zesty watches the small package float to the top and bets his breath it's important. He pockets the gold and gems, grabs the boots, places them in his backpack, and feels a little ball in his throat. Through he could probably tough it out, he wants to take a breath. He turns to Wet Order and gently points upwards, indicating he's stepping out of the water temporarily.

He kicks off the now empty chest and makes to the hole. As he emerges and takes a small gasp for air, he does see Nac still waiting at the top. Seeing the package floating, Zesty grabs it and steps out of the water looking at Nac.

Nac, found some boots in an underwater chest, along with a little gold and a few small gems. But this package floated to the top and seems of more import.

Zesty attempts to open the package to check it's contents.

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
Zesty watches the small package float to the top and bets his breath it's important. He pockets the gold and gems, grabs the boots, places them in his backpack, and feels a little ball in his throat. Through he could probably tough it out, he wants to take a breath. He turns to Wet Order and gently points upwards, indicating he's stepping out of the water temporarily.

He kicks off the now empty chest and makes to the hole. As he emerges and takes a small gasp for air, he does see Nac still waiting at the top. Seeing the package floating, Zesty grabs it and steps out of the water looking at Nac.

Nac, found some boots in an underwater chest, along with a little gold and a few small gems. But this package floated to the top and seems of more import.

Zesty attempts to open the package to check it's contents.

zesty-png.12023

Zesty Zapcrackle
@Jon
| You retrieve the object, turning it over in the light cast by your utility knife, and find it to be a book wrapped and sealed in waxed fabric. Carefully unwrapping the book, you reveal the Captain's journal. A braid of hair is stuck in the pages like a bookmark, indicating the log's last entry.

file-VZRzfQPpMwtxWHsVHqnAinhb.png

The last entry reads as follows;

Our journey is ended, though I fear my own is to continue in the most horrible way imaginable. _Compass Rose_ wrecked on a shoal south of Neverwinter. Many sailors perished with the initial impact, and Aleitha was gravely injured. As I tended her wounds, she clutched her talisman and breathed soft prayers. I asked her what the talisman signified. She told me love. Her husband waits for her at Dragon's Rest, having pledged his service to the dragon there. The talisman is made from locks of their hair, woven together as a promise to be reunited no matter what fate might befall them. It might have been a beautiful story, had it not been for Aleitha's gruesome end—and the words of the prayer I heard as she breathed her last. For she was begging Orcus, the Prince of Undeath, to reunite her with her husband.

I held her hands as the breath left her, and I felt a horrible chill pass through her. Next I knew, she was sinking her teeth into my neck. At the same moment, I heard moans begin to rise from the dead sailors all around us. What curse has she brought on us all?

Already I feel a creeping chill overtaking my body. I am securing her talisman with this book in my chest, in the hope that someone who comes after us may end this nightmare by bringing Aleitha's talisman to her husband.

The talisman is formed from long locks of hair, some blonde, some black, braided together and knotted around two small finger bones.|

Last edited:

Zesty Zapcrackle

As Zesty reads the letter, he exchanges an uneasy glance with Nac.

I think we have the answer to the Compass Rose... The death of Aleitha. Her final prayer to the Prince of Undeath must have cursed the talisman. We should aim to bring this talisman back to Dragon's Rest and ask Runara about the husband. We saw a painting in the crew quarters of Aleitha and who I would assume to be her husband, Brastos.

Zesty attempts to recall if he's read anything about Orcus, the Prince of Undeath in any books.

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
As Zesty reads the letter, he exchanges an uneasy glance with Nac.

I think we have the answer to the Compass Rose... The death of Aleitha. Her final prayer to the Prince of Undeath must have cursed the talisman. We should aim to bring this talisman back to Dragon's Rest and ask Runara about the husband. We saw a painting in the crew quarters of Aleitha and who I would assume to be her husband, Brastos.

Zesty attempts to recall if he's read anything about Orcus, the Prince of Undeath in any books.
((Gimme dat Religion check.))

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
((**Sings 'Losing My Religion'**))

zesty-png.12023

Zesty Zapcrackle
@Jon
| You think back to your time as an edgy teenage Tiefling, reading up on demonic forces.

Known as the Demon Prince of Undeath and the Blood Lord, the demon lord Orcus is a fiend whose power rivals that of the gods. Ruling over hordes of demons in the nightmarish plane of existence called the Abyss, Orcus yearns to transform the multiverse into a ghastly place of death. Many Undead creatures (like ghouls) worship him or seek to bargain with him in exchange for some fragment of his power over undeath.

file-XtmGJHp8RBJm3khZclE9oAMH-gigapixel-high fidelity v2-2x.png|

Moonsprout Beandirt

Connoisseur of fine video games
((I suppose he could stay at Dragon's Rest and sit out the final part of the chapter, though then Moonsprout would be missing out on the XP, etc. and I don't really want you to have to fall behind just because of vacation.

I could also run him as an NPC of sorts if you want him to tag along regardless. You can give me some parameters for how you want him to behave and I'll stick to that.))
((I don't wanna miss out on XP or adventure... Could make it quite hard to catch up with others in the future. Sorry to burden you extra, but would you mind running Moonsprout for me? I feel like you have a pretty good grasp of... Moonsprouty things...))

Zesty Zapcrackle

There is a pained, almost constipated look, on Zesty trying to recall any information about Orcus.

Orcus... he is an almost deity-like creature who seems to enthrall undead. They worship him. I am willing to bet he heard Aleitha's prayer, but not in the way she expected. It feels as if when she breathed her last, the undead began to arise to catch a glimpse of Orcus. I am convinced this talisman is what we were looking for, and the Harpy's were indeed telling the truth. They were not the cause of the undead, but just a byproduct of it as the ships they lured to their deaths simply were turned to zombies and ghoul as a result of this talisman. We should finish our treasure search and head back to Dragon's Rest at first light.

With that, Zesty tucks the book and the talisman into his bag. He chooses to stay out of the water so as to not risk damaging the book, but encourages Nac to continue the search of the fore of the underwater hold with Short.

The gnome is still underwater. While i was searching the chest directly below, I glimpsed him checking the aft of the ship. Should you want to join him checking the fore I will find Aims' and Sprout and fill them in on what we've discovered.

With that, Zesty disengages the light from the utility knife, and he also tucks that into his bag and heads off, finding Aims'Orreh and telling him about the talisman and letter while he's smashing pumpkins barrels.

((EDIT - Almost forgot!))

As he walks away, he whistles for Ur'kokk, and the tiny homunculus returns swiftly to Zesty's shoulder.

Last edited:
OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
((I don't wanna miss out on XP or adventure... Could make it quite hard to catch up with others in the future. Sorry to burden you extra, but would you mind running Moonsprout for me? I feel like you have a pretty good grasp of... Moonsprouty things...))
((No worries. I think I've got an OK feel for his personality, too. Very much will stick to the pacifist route, unless it's a sentient mushroom creature he wants to lick.

Oh and yay 3s.
1711687646763.png))
There is a pained, almost constipated look, on Zesty trying to recall any information about Orcus.

Orcus... he is an almost deity-like creature who seems to enthrall undead. They worship him. I am willing to bet he heard Aleitha's prayer, but not in the way she expected. It feels as if when she breathed her last, the undead began to arise to catch a glimpse of Orcus. I am convinced this talisman is what we were looking for, and the Harpy's were indeed telling the truth. They were not the cause of the undead, but just a byproduct of it as the ships they lured to their deaths simply were turned to zombies and ghoul as a result of this talisman. We should finish our treasure search and head back to Dragon's Rest at first light.

With that, Zesty tucks the book and the talisman into his bag. He chooses to stay out of the water so as to not risk damaging the book, but encourages Nac to continue the search of the fore of the underwater hold with Short.

The gnome is still underwater. While i was searching the chest directly below, I glimpsed him checking the aft of the ship. Should you want to join him checking the fore I will find Aims' and Sprout and fill them in on what we've discovered.

With that, Zesty disengages the light from the utility knife, and he also tucks that into his bag and heads off, finding Aims'Orreh and telling him about the talisman and letter while he's smashing pumpkins barrels.
((
You Got It Ok GIF
))
((
child 44 GIF
, he looking scary. Sorry for not being that active last night, but had some family stuff to do, with Easter approaching and all.))
((Pretty proud of how that one came out, honestly.))

Nac McWeeble

Incense & Iron
Sure thing, I'll go down and have a look!

Nac goes over to the stairs, takes a deep breath and descends down the stairs and makes his way to the fore, with the enchanted bracelet as a little lantern.

Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd

Full-time time waster
((We'll get him to eat some mushrooms somewhere on the boat that'll turn his mind numb and he'll act like a drone. Then toss inspiration to whoever is after him in combat if it looks good. Or something.

Then in a few weeks when he shakes off the mind altering spores he'll suddenly be stronger and not remember a thing that happened lol.

Or something. Maybe you got something looking already.))

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
Sure thing, I'll go down and have a look!

Nac goes over to the stairs, takes a deep breath and descends down the stairs and makes his way to the fore, with the enchanted bracelet as a little lantern.

nac-png.12021

Nac McWeeble
@Nae'blis
|hold4.png

You take the plunge into the hold and move towards the fore of the ship. Through the gloom of the water, you see the shattered bow of the vessel still impaled upon a barrier of dragon bones. The ancient remains tore the hull apart with little effort, bringing Compass Rose to join its grave.

There does not appear to be anything else of note in the hold. All of the crates here are waterlogged and beyond salvage.|

((We'll get him to eat some mushrooms somewhere on the boat that'll turn his mind numb and he'll act like a drone. Then toss inspiration to whoever is after him in combat if it looks good. Or something.

Then in a few weeks when he shakes off the mind altering spores he'll suddenly be stronger and not remember a thing that happened lol.

Or something. Maybe you got something looking already.))
((Pfft, Moonsprout doesn't do things during combat. He's too busy cultivating watercress within his pockets to be inspirational.))

Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd

Full-time time waster
Inside the first you find:
After a good exercise in smashing the rest of the crates containing probably world altering magical artifacts, Aims is left with some good old valuable metals and... what he assumes is some rich person's bog roll.

Hrmh. At least theres some silver. The lute is nice if i knew how to play it. Maybe some bard will want a fancy thing like this. Curious that the halfling didnt come over to check it out.

This bog roll though... rich people. Why would they write on it? Is there such a thing as softness spell? Maybe its self wiping... or self cleaning. Wow! An unlimited use bog roll! Maybe I should test this out later. Very nice.

After ruminating on defiling the scroll, Zesty pops from under water with the journal. He listens to what Zesty reads from it.

I wouldnt mind fighting a hell beast like that no matter how grand they make him sound like. Hah! Maybe one day. I wonder if those beasts flesh is already baked by hellfire. Mmmm...

Oh, tiefling! I wonder. Do you think we might be able to find some dragon bones loose under there to bring along? I wouldn't mind anything made out of that stuff, hehe. Maybe the dwarf can punch some loose down there.

Zesty Zapcrackle

It may be possible...

((@Ben - Do you think if I used my thaumaturgy cantrip to make my voice three times louder I could ask Nac to chop off some dragon bones for Aims' while he's still under water?

If nothing else, this seems like a fun as fuck use of something I am not likely to ever use again. :link

Of course, there may be a way to infuse Kokky with a message and send him underwater too, but, I think the booming voice would be a fuck ton more fun lol))

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
It may be possible...

((@Ben - Do you think if I used my thaumaturgy cantrip to make my voice three times louder I could ask Nac to chop off some dragon bones for Aims' while he's still under water?

If nothing else, this seems like a fun as fuck use of something I am not likely to ever use again. :link

Of course, there may be a way to infuse Kokky with a message and send him underwater too, but, I think the booming voice would be a fuck ton more fun lol))

zesty-png.12023

Zesty Zapcrackle
@Jon
|
Dc Comics Rage GIF by DC

Your amplified voice roars through the shipwreck, knocking dust free from the rafters overhead.|

nac-png.12021

Nac McWeeble
@Nae'blis
| Through the water, you hear a muffled "bone us please" and wonder if some lonely mermaids are in your area. |

((If Nac wants to go try to gather some dragon bone... I guess that's feasible, although be aware they're going to be very strong and very heavy... ))

Nac McWeeble

Incense & Iron
(("Hi Carlson, I'm your new dad. Incidentally I helped kill your old dad, let's be pals!"

I'm definitely down for dragon bone mining!))

Nac takes out his dagger and begins trying to pry some dragon bone loose

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
(("Hi Carlson, I'm your new dad. Incidentally I helped kill your old dad, let's be pals!"

I'm definitely down for dragon bone mining!))

Nac takes out his dagger and begins trying to pry some dragon bone loose

nac-png.12021

Nac McWeeble
@Nae'blis
|As you ponder the potential uses of dragon bones and begin futilely stabbing at a rib, a thought flits through your mind.

These bones are ancient and immensely powerful, still infused with the magical essence of the Gold dragon who perished in these waters centuries ago. The innate magic in this location perhaps aided Aleitha's plea to the Prince of Undeath, guiding her wish from the material plane into the multiverse.

You realize the magnitude of harvesting such a formidable material and that it will not be as simple a task as stabbing it and popping one into your pack. The durability of dragon bones demands specialized magical tools to begin to work, and their weight alone would make conveyance problematic depending on the quantity harvested.

You do not manage to harvest any dragon bones at this time. |

((You know, I went and bought Fizban's Treasury of Dragons last night, just so I could try to flesh out this skeleton (hah) more... And of course it contained nothing about dragon bones specifically so I had to think it through for myself anyway. 🙃

Still, there's probably a good deal I can use from this to continue after this campaign concludes, depending on what direction you guys go I guess.

Had some neat sub-classes and such, too. 🤫 ))

• Hugs
Reactions: Jon

Nac McWeeble

Incense & Iron
Nac swims back and climbs up to the others.

Sorry lads, no can do on the dragon boning... So do we go back to Dragon's Rest and report our findings? And maybe ask around about the names?

Last edited:

Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd

Full-time time waster
Aims walks back up to the deck and looks up at the sky. Some of the stars are twinkling. Deciding to leave it to the matter to the Fates instead of the arcane like Short Order, Aims points his index finger up the the sky and asks (fairly rudely):

Hey ladies! Should we go back to Dragon's Rest or what?

The stars twinkle more, seemingly in an agitated manner, if that is something that can be discerned from twinkling. After a few seconds of nothing happening, the lone stars start to move, with other new ones appearing. They coalesce together to make words up in the sky. And they say:

[Magic 8-Ball is not enabled in this forum]

??????????

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian

dm-png.12024

Dungeon Master
(Ben)
|file-ZSJFAPERGC6lpQNE8rfr4mmF.png

Your party rows back towards Dragon's Rest.

1711743364026.png

You return to find the plaza quiet, as everyone appears to be asleep. The night is perfectly still, with only faint flickering lanterns within the doorways adjacent to the plaza. You see the glow of lit torches at the temple high above you.

Your assigned cell is ready for your arrival.

1711743374946.png|

((I'm not going to bother obscuring any of Dragon's Rest, or getting fancy with making it darker. Seems kinda superfluous.))

Zesty Zapcrackle

((I would say so. Next step is talking to people and if they're all asleep, no point in trying to get anything accomplished. Also let's assume after arriving back I extinguished the bracelet and ink bottles.))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom