Campaign Stormwreck Isle; Curse of Compass Rose (1-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 3 - Curse of the Compass Rose
View attachment 357_Promontory.mp3

title.png

MAP:

THE STORY SO FAR:

THE QUEST:
  • The party seeks the wreck of the Compass Rose, a ship that went down decades ago and may be linked to the undead incursion.

THE LOCATION:

THE PARTY:
aimsorreh.png1000004899.jpg
moonsprout.png1000004901.jpg
short.png1000004905.jpg
nac.png1000004903.jpg
zesty.png1000004907.jpg

ITEM GLOSSARY:
ImageNameValue (per) copper.pngsilver.pnggold.pngWeight (per)Description
file-pVmgHgYEB9YKYx2GtAASY75F.png
Wind Spore Mushrooms
30 gold.png0.06 lbsA rare fungus with a unique magical property. When a creature squeezes a wind spore mushroom's cap, it releases a small cloud of spores. For 1 hour, the creature doesn't need to breathe, as the spores provide it with oxygen.
file-moYw6GogFv7wpuA90IyNwKTo.png
Obsidian Chunk
10 gold.png1 lbAn uncut opaque black gemstone.
file-D8FV3REG53vwt44CZPF5gFDU.png
Heart Cap Mushrooms
30 gold.png0.2 lbsThese mushrooms bear an unsettling resemblance to human hearts.
file-qdHIQqxCkWhZME6ymOpQj50s.png
Potion of Healing
50 gold.png0.5 lbsThis potion's red liquid glimmers when agitated. You regain 2d4+2 hit points when you drink this potion.
file-Wvp782vE4qJWR2QTy1tcpOXR.pngA Fine Lute
file-qUiTfpHVb3SLLXv10Ep2Xyya.pngBoots of ElvenkindWhile you wear these boots, your steps make no sound, regardless of the surface you are moving across. You also have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks that rely on moving silently.
file-EF5LK9mU1tyc9CrzMQNFhGQq.pngSpell Scroll of Command

THE STORY CONTINUES:
Having departed from Dragon's Rest for the second time, your band of adventurers slowly make their way down the mountain paths towards the shore where you first landed. The journey is uneventful and peaceful, a welcome contrast to the carnage the party has faced since arriving on the island. Songbirds flutter across the path ahead of you as they dart back and forth between bushes, hunting the insects they harbor. Your walk down to the water does not take more than a half hour however, so the ramble through nature is fleeting.

Returning to the beach where you had fought the zombies, the party find the scene just as you left it. The battered corpses of the drowned sailors lay immobile where they were slain, the putrid grey flesh not appealing to any scavengers and having been left untouched. Your group moves cautiously past the bodies, one by one each battling the anxiety that the monsters will spring up again and attack.

The five of you convene on the short wooden dock. There is an old fishing net dangling over the edge and trailing in the water, where it appears to be tangled within a clump of seaweed. Several short lengths of aging rope are knotted here and there around the thick posts, some having been cut free in haste rather than untied. A rowboat not dissimilar to the one you arrived in is tethered to the dock, and you see a pair of oars laying across the seats. The boat appears big enough for 4 medium sized passengers.

North of your position, you can see a long spur of sharp rocks jutting from the ocean waves, extending several miles out.​

INITIATIVE:
https://improvedinitiative.app/p/e88bk48y

Last edited:
  • Seen
Reactions: TD

Zesty Zapcrackle

Shitposting Development Manager
((Yeah... sure))

Zesty says something witty and casts Fire Bolt at the harpy while Ur'kokk moves off the wooden ship slightly and tries to fire a Force strike all up in her bidness

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
((Yeah... sure))

Zesty says something witty and casts Fire Bolt at the harpy while Ur'kokk moves off the wooden ship slightly and tries to fire a Force strike all up in her bidness

zesty-png.12023

Zesty Zapcrackle
@Jon
| You summon your fiery might and cast it out towards the fleeing Harpy.

The fireball slams into her right wing and sends the Harpy pinwheeling through the air towards the water.

You deal 5 fire damage to Harpy 1.

She levels out at the last moment and pulls out of the dive.

Ur'kokk moves to the Northwest, just off the ship, and fires.

1711582145114.png

The force blast connects and smashes the Harpy down into the surface of the waves just as she starts to pull up.

file-FNMB8p2L4cqKtsydKpf8otLi.png

Ur'kokk deals 3 points of force damage to the Harpy.

The monster crashes into the waves and impacts hard, snapping its wings with the crunch of hollow bones. It spirals through a wall of white spray and sinks beneath the waves.

A moment later, it reemerges from the water looking maimed and broken, but slowly begins flapping away from the ship toward shore.|

((@Nae'blis .))

Last edited:

Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd

Full-time time waster
It was a brief moment in Aims'Orreh's life, but in that moment was crammed a whole life's worth of visions flashing through his eyes. As Aims was frantically yelling "no, don't do it druid" and trying to reach out his hand to grab the ice knife that slipped out of the druids hand, it exploded upon hitting the deck in glorious razor sharp icicle explosion that both pierced and froze the half-orcs already bloodied body. As Aims was punctured like a pin cushion at the downtown tailors boutique and thrown into the air from the force of the explosions, many visions and memories emerged from near and far into his past.

The frequent visions of a dead asshole. The explosive near sphincter tearing shit. Glorious kills and wiffs on zombies. The last tankard of ale at the Wary Wolf's. His pledge to become stronger and find worth foes in the vastness on and beyond the Coast. The last mission he was on before leaving his platoon to come to the Coast. Many near death situations while with his former war buddies. Defeats, victories. Many unfortunate beatings and hazing in the military. The day he was abducted as a young half-orc and sold off as a meatshield for the same establishment. The rest though, fonder visions of a fairly cheerful memories with his brothers, sisters, and orc mother and human father. Going even as far as seeing an odd sight of seeing his old grandma as a wet nurse grabbing him to pull, but suddenly seeing the cold hard ground getting closer and closer.

As the visions abruptly ends, Aims lands on the deck on his back, in a state of shock. Or cold snap. There's a small pool of blood under him, his nipples frozen so hard they could cut diamonds, but he was breathing and alive. It's probably a blessing in disguise that he didn't fully realize the gravity of what happened and how his orcish blood and unwillingness to die saved his life. All he understands is the explosions and him losing consciousness for a couple seconds. The memories of the visions already being clouded and fading.

Still laying on his back on the ground, he groans as he's trying to tie together some brain cells and memories of what had just happened. Finally something clicks and he jolts to sit up.

By the Earth Mother... Hey, did you get the harpy druid? Is that bastard who took my ax dead?

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
Tha' bird cannae escape after wha' it did ta us!

Nac runs up to the railing of the ship and on the way fishing up one of the darts in his pack.

Here goes nothin'... he thinks.

Nac throws the dart with all his might towards the harpy in the distance

((With disadvantage since it's over 20 feet right?))

nac-png.12021

Nac McWeeble
@Nae'blis
|1711603154124.png

Your fingers pinch the dart firmly and you bring it back by your ear. Like you've done thousands of time in various taverns, you take a deep breath and cast your hand forward.

The small metal projectile glints as it twirls through the air, the feathered flights gently spiraling to hold the trajectory steady.

The thin spike at tip effortlessly slides into the base of the Harpy's skull and through the monster's spinal cord. The distant figure's limbs go stiff and it it again smashes into the surface of the water, limply skimming across the surface before slowing and falling into the depths of the ocean.

You deal 7 points of damage to the Harpy.

Harpy 1 has been defeated.
|

((Holy shit. Good job not dying (completely), and thanks for being patient while that went slowly.

Decide what you want to do regarding healing, if you're going to short/long rest, whatever.

Oh and the dart and axe stuck in her are gone by the way, unless you want to go swimming.))

Last edited:

Zesty Zapcrackle

((I vote we finally let Moonsprout out and make a long rest in the cabin this locking him right back up lol. Not sure how many short rest heals you all have left so that’s why long rest. Then we search the hold and continue on for answers to the compass rose mystery.))

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian

dm-png.12024

Dungeon Master
(Ben)
|1711629362062.png

You all cram into the crews quarters, picking from the molding dilapidated beds and trying to get comfortable atop rusted springs. Given the trials you've recently been through, however, you find yourself to not be particularly picky and, after barricading the door against your paranoia, fall asleep.

You awaken to darkness outside the portholes, finding it to be the middle of the night, around 1am.

The night brought no surprises, and the only sounds emanating from the shipwreck are the slosh of waves and the occasional seagull.|

((Everyone has been long-rested. You're all back at full HP, etc.

You still have some exploring in the lower deck, and the flooded hold.))

((If I turn into an aquatic creature, like a fish, am I able to breathe under water so long as it doesn't die? Or is it like the bird thing where I couldn't fly? I think it's that I can't move as quickly as they do in the water, but not sure on the "go my normal swimming pace without drowning" thing))

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
((If I turn into an aquatic creature, like a fish, am I able to breathe under water so long as it doesn't die? Or is it like the bird thing where I couldn't fly? I think it's that I can't move as quickly as they do in the water, but not sure on the "go my normal swimming pace without drowning" thing))
((Nah, you cannot become fish until 4th level.

1711633464137.png

Nothing that you turn into at this point can have an explicit swimming or flying speed.

At 4th you'll be able to become aquatic stuff, and at 8th you'll be able to become flying things.))

Zesty Zapcrackle

Zesty is the first awake after a rest. While the others are snoring away, he notices the dart trap Nac triggered earlier and immediately becomes curious of the mechanism involved. He wonders if this kind of mechanism could be used to perhaps mount a mechanism like this to his wrist to create a powerful wrist weapon that would rival his crossbow but be more mobile and leave his hands free. He investigates the entirety of the area and mechanism for anything hidden that could be set off again.

Zesty investigates the trap to see if there is anything hidden and also to see if he's inspired on how to use this to maybe create a powerful wrist mounted crossbow.

((Hope this is ok, @Ben - Wanted to make sure to take advantage of the long rest to maybe think of an invention, and the trap seems like a good inspiration for something cool like an AC wrist mounted crossbow. Let me know what check this would be. Also, no one's really checked in here because we got interrupted by the zombies and then the harpies, so I want to make sure to check the trap area specifically.))

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
Zesty is the first awake after a rest. While the others are snoring away, he notices the dart trap Nac triggered earlier and immediately becomes curious of the mechanism involved. He wonders if this kind of mechanism could be used to perhaps mount a mechanism like this to his wrist to create a powerful wrist weapon that would rival his crossbow but be more mobile and leave his hands free. He investigates the entirety of the area and mechanism for anything hidden that could be set off again.

Zesty investigates the trap to see if there is anything hidden and also to see if he's inspired on how to use this to maybe create a powerful wrist mounted crossbow.

((Hope this is ok, @Ben - Wanted to make sure to take advantage of the long rest to maybe think of an invention, and the trap seems like a good inspiration for something cool like an AC wrist mounted crossbow. Let me know what check this would be. Also, no one's really checked in here because we got interrupted by the zombies and then the harpies, so I want to make sure to check the trap area specifically.))
((Hmm... I guess gimme an INT check to see if you can work out how the trap mechanism works. I'll say if you succeed that's enough to give you inspiration for creating a dart-launcher.

Then you'll have to roll again to actually try to put something together at a later date, but I think I could come up with some feasible mechanic for letting you fire a dart as a bonus action or something.

And your party did check in the crews quarters. Short/Aims found the floorboard stash. Moonsprout checked all the beds I believe. There's nothing more to find in this immediate area. Aims did grab some of the items from the Captain's desk. You'd searched the galley and the mess hall, both being empty. You should focus on the lower deck and then the hold.))

Reactions: Jon

Zesty Zapcrackle

((Lol, I hope that's high enough... but I also just realized how broke I am compared to the rest of you. :link Even Moonsprout has more than double what I do. Doesn't pay to have a conscience in D&D lol))

Nac McWeeble

Incense & Iron
((We have a big gem worth 500gp for selling at a later date, so money's coming in! :D

Also, Nac didn't trigger no dart trap, Nac IS a dart trap. :cool2))

Nac wakes up, feeling well rested. He streches and checks his beard. Seems to be growing nicely.

Nac goes down to check the barrels and crates as he intended to do before being rudely interrupted by the harpies

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
((That'd be cool, here's hoping! It's not gonna be often *I* think of something in the area as inspiration for a new toy lol))

zesty-png.12023

Zesty Zapcrackle
@Jon
|You lift the floorboard carefully, staying clear of the line of fire, paranoid that it may go off again. You however find the trap inert and harmless without being reset.

The small contraption consists of a mess of springs around a rudimentary barrel in which the tiny dart had sat, which appears to have no rifling on the inner side but covered with trace amounts of a viscous green liquid. You discern that the dart had been coated in some form of poison formulated in such a way that it draws enough moisture from the air to prevent drying out, even after the decades for which this has sat.

A trigger mechanism is affixed to the underside of the floorboard, which when pulled upwards releases a latch holding taught a vertical spring. The spring is connected to a disc inside the barrel, which is conveyed along a track with great force. The disc sits at the top of the barrel now that the trap has spring and the device is unloaded. There is a small key serving as a spring tension adjustment, and there is a small pin disguised as a floor nail, which when moved engages a safety which locks the spring in place.

file-MCaZBqwywkOcCnMUtAl8oFQE.png

You have some idea of how to build this.

You make some notes as to the design and place the floorboard covering back in place.|

nac-png.12021

Nac McWeeble
@Nae'blis
|You return to the crows nest. Rummaging through the debris, you find various shiny baubles collected by the bird-lady. Amongst the bedding and gore, you find:
  • A small gold bracelet worth 25 gp
  • A single gold hoop earring worth 25 gp
  • Two small tiger eye gems worth 10 gp each
  • One bloodstone gem worth 50 gp. |

• Hugs

Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd

Full-time time waster
Aims wakes up and springs up with gusto. It's like nothing ever happened. The pin like icicles didn't even leave scars and even his nipples are back to their soft subtle selves.

Aww man. Nothing like a good sleep to get you back on your feet. Hahahaa! Oh. Wait. Where's my ax?! Heck, I think I left it up on the deck!

He runs out to the top to recover his instrument of maim. At the same time, he also remembers the bad dog and the dart trap from before. But what, he did grab the gold from then, as well as before that from the desk he search! His gold pouch suddenly seems exactly 250 gold heavier. Would've been bad if he forgot about sweet sweet monies.

• This is the Way
Reactions: Ben
OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
Aims wakes up and springs up with gusto. It's like nothing ever happened. The pin like icicles didn't even leave scars and even his nipples are back to their soft subtle selves.

Aww man. Nothing like a good sleep to get you back on your feet. Hahahaa! Oh. Wait. Where's my ax?! Heck, I think I left it up on the deck!

He runs out to the top to recover his instrument of maim. At the same time, he also remembers the bad dog and the dart trap from before. But what, he did grab the gold from then, as well as before that from the desk he search! His gold pouch suddenly seems exactly 250 gold heavier. Would've been bad if he forgot about sweet sweet monies.
((Oh good, I was wondering if you'd forget it. It would have been hilarious for me. :p ))

Zesty Zapcrackle

((Love the description! Kudos, @Ben))

After replacing the floorboard and having his copious notes on how to recreate the device, Zesty returns to the lower hold to investigate himself. His instincts take him to the hole Aims initially jumped down, seeing pretty quick the matching hole in the floor. What's below piques his interest more, as clearly something was above, heavy enough to have crashed through two floors.

Zesty investigates the hole to determine if he can see the bottom or swim to the bottom safely.

((@Ben - the intent here is to see if Zesty can swim down this hole and investigate below. I'm not sure what his swim abilities are like, but I'll use a mushroom if needed. But if there's enough space at the hole, i.e. not deep from here, I could come up for air as needed too.))

Nac McWeeble

Incense & Iron
Nac pockets the goodies from the crow's nest, and climbs down.

((I added the gems, but couldn't find the other two things. Do I need to make custom items for it? Also, I took the liberty of subtracting a dart from my inventory!))

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
((Before we get too much further... It is night time now that you finished your long-rest. I can assume you darkvision folks are just bumbling about in dim light, but for Moonsprout it's pitch black again. Might want to give him a torch, or come up with some other clever way to illuminate him (which I believe you have).))

((Love the description! Kudos, @Ben))

After replacing the floorboard and having his copious notes on how to recreate the device, Zesty returns to the lower hold to investigate himself. His instincts take him to the hole Aims initially jumped down, seeing pretty quick the matching hole in the floor. What's below piques his interest more, as clearly something was above, heavy enough to have crashed through two floors.

Zesty investigates the hole to determine if he can see the bottom or swim to the bottom safely.

((@Ben - the intent here is to see if Zesty can swim down this hole and investigate below. I'm not sure what his swim abilities are like, but I'll use a mushroom if needed. But if there's enough space at the hole, i.e. not deep from here, I could come up for air as needed too.))

zesty-png.12023

Zesty Zapcrackle
@Jon
|You inspect the hole in the floorboards beside the Captain's bed. The hole is roughly 4 foot in diameter, where the rotting wood has given way and collapsed.

The partner hole beneath the surface of the water, roughly 8 feet below, is slightly smaller and appears to be caused by an impact more than a structural collapse.

The hold beyond the hole is inky black. You cannot see to gauge the depth, but assume it to be comparable to the other 8 foot high ceilings.|

Nac goes down below to look at the barrels and crates

nac-png.12021

Nac McWeeble
@Nae'blis
| You find a number of the crates in the hold to have been stacked atop others, keeping them clear of the worst of the water damage the ship has sustained. They are all nailed solidly shut. |

Zesty Zapcrackle

((It was still described, but for what it's worth, I went to the hold where the zombie and ghoul were to check the hole. If we cast spells out of combat, do they expend spell slots? I could use faerie fire to illuminate an area.))

I have 3 wind spores should we need them.

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
((It was still described, but for what it's worth, I went to the hold where the zombie and ghoul were to check the hole. If we cast spells out of combat, do they expend spell slots? I could use faerie fire to illuminate an area.))

I have 3 wind spores should we need them.
((Ah, the "Short Order walking to the room across the deck and talking to you" threw me. But OK, you're in the hold.

Yes, casting spells outside of combat still consumes a spell slot, unless it's a cantrip of course. Entirely depends on whether you think you're going to need those again for anything else before you get to rest again. :shrug ))

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
((@Jon If I were you, I might take it as an opportunity to try your weird Magical Tinkering ability.

With it, you can make something emit light in a radius around it. And it would seem it does so indefinitely, until you cancel it.

You'd just need a specifically tiny non-magical object.

1711653883281.png))

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
((OK, so "tiny objects" are going to mean anything smaller than 2 1/2 feet by 2 1/2 feet, so quite a lot of stuff honestly. For example;
  • A small book or tome
  • A potion vial
  • A dagger or other small weapon
  • A piece of jewelry, like a ring, bracelet or amulet
  • A scroll or a small map
  • A coin or token
You've got various gems and stuff you could use, they'd certainly count.))

Zesty Zapcrackle

((Oh, thanks! I always check my spells, but that's not listed on my spells page so I ALWAYS miss it...

LOL! - Rewriting this on the fly thanks to Nae :) ))

Zesty takes the bracelet from Nac, retrieves his utility knife and his closed bottle of ink from his backpack and whispers an elvish incantation. The three objects suddenly begin emitting a bright light, enough to allow them to see if he's swimming. He places a wind spore in his pocket in case he needs it and hands another spore to Short and Nac as well as the ink bottle (to Short) and the bracelet (back to Nac).

I'll start down and take a look around. Feel free to join if you like. Use the spore if you need it and the bracelet and bottle should provide you some light, should you need it.

Zesty attempts to go under water and investigate.

((Not sure how long I can hold my breath for, but can I essentially say if things get dicey, I'll eat the spore?))

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
((Oh, thanks! I always check my spells, but that's not listed on my spells page so I ALWAYS miss it...

LOL! - Rewriting this on the fly thanks to Nae :) ))

Zesty takes the bracelet from Nac, retrieves his utility knife and his closed bottle of ink from his backpack and whispers an elvish incantation. The three objects suddenly begin emitting a bright light, enough to allow them to see if he's swimming. He places a wind spore in his pocket in case he needs it and hands another spore to Short and Nac as well as the ink bottle (to Short) and the bracelet (back to Nac).

I'll start down and take a look around. Feel free to join if you like. Use the spore if you need it and the bracelet and bottle should provide you some light, should you need it.

Zesty attempts to go under water and investigate.

((Not sure how long I can hold my breath for, but can I essentially say if things get dicey, I'll eat the spore?))

zesty-png.12023

Zesty Zapcrackle
@Jon
|1711656986984.png

You withdraw the three mundane items, as well as your thieve's tools from your pack. Working quickly atop one of the drier crates, you begin to calibrate the intrinsic magical energy inert within the item. With a combination of tracing Elvish runes onto the surface using the top of a screwdriver, to slamming the item repeatedly onto the crate yelling "WORK DAMN YOU", you perform your craft.

After a few minutes, three glowing items sit in your hands.

file-vIh4DdlC1eNToCR0ZBP7YJ2m.png

You distribute these to your lowmies ((that's like homies, but when they're small people)).

Double-checking that you have your windspore accessible, you hop into the hole and are enveloped by the cold rush of the ocean.

hold_1.png

You find that while no moonlight reaches the submerged hold, your glowing knife illuminates enough of an area to see clearly around you, and you can see most of the hold cast in dim shades of grey.

Floating downward, your feet touch upon something sooner than you had expected to meet the deck below. Kicking with your feet to pivot and look below you, you see an ornate iron chest, laying on its lid, rests directly beneath the holes on the upper decks.|

((So, underwater mechanics;

• Each foot of movement costs 1 extra foot (2 extra feet in difficult terrain) when you're climbing, swimming, or crawling.
  • Regarding holding your breath; a creature can hold its breath for a number of minutes equal to 1 + its Constitution modifier (minimum of 30 seconds).
  • When a creature runs out of breath or is choking, it can survive for a number of rounds equal to its Constitution modifier (minimum of 1 round). At the start of its next turn, it drops to 0 hit points and is dying, and it can't regain hit points or be stabilized until it can breathe again.
  • For example, a creature with a Constitution of 14 can hold its breath for 3 minutes. If it starts suffocating, it has 2 rounds to reach air before it drops to 0 hit points.
You'd be able to surface at the hole, or the top of the stairs, though. I don't particularly see you suffocating unless you do something dumb. Plus you've got the windspore, though I'd say you need to use that while out of the water to actually inhale the spores.))

• Agree
Short Order, taking the shiny fun object that was given to him, begins walking down the stairs to below the water

((not using the Spore yet - just planning on spending my normal hold your breath time to see what can be found out and then heading back up the stairs to breathe again))

Zesty Zapcrackle

Zesty sees what caused the hole in the captains quarters and the hold above clearly being this chest that toppled on its head. His first instinct is to see if it’s possible to flip the chest over though he suspects it weighs too much since it crashed through two floors. His hope is the weightlessness of the water may help with enough leverage. He places his knife between his teeth and attempts to flip the chest.

Zesty tries to flip the chest.

Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd

Full-time time waster
((OK, so "tiny objects" are going to mean anything smaller than 2 1/2 feet by 2 1/2 feet, so quite a lot of stuff honestly. For example;
  • A small book or tome
  • A potion vial
  • A dagger or other small weapon
  • A piece of jewelry, like a ring, bracelet or amulet
  • A scroll or a small map
  • A coin or token
You've got various gems and stuff you could use, they'd certainly count.))
((I was going to suggest the knob end of the dick dagger. Oh well.))

Aims walks over below deck where folks are deciding on their order of going under the surface. He groans and irks at the thought of going further than where he is now.

Have at it folks. Let me know what happens under there. Ill be around here and... ohh, maybe bust open some barrels! Hahaa!

Aims walks over to any barrels and crates that are shut closed starts prying them open with his ax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom