• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Post your pictures

That's grape flavor.
It's lucky you can't smell pictures because I can assure you it seems like it's rotten egg flavour!

Do me a favor, and don’t fuck with the ostriches and emus. Those guys might try to square up with you.
Emus aren't too bad. It's their near cousin the Cassowary that is the real Australian danger.

I’ve heard it’s incredibly peaceful there as long as you avoid the party crowds. I’d love to take a trip there one day.
Indeed, it was very peaceful. I was there for a friend's birthday; there were eight of us in an air bnb house that was in a private cove with other houses of year round dwellers. No party crowds, thankfully. The weather was great too. The highs were in the 70s, and the water was still plenty warm.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Indeed, it was very peaceful. I was there for a friend's birthday; there were eight of us in an air bnb house that was in a private cove with other houses of year round dwellers. No party crowds, thankfully. The weather was great too. The highs were in the 70s, and the water was still plenty warm.

That’s pretty much exactly what we’re dealing with here in the Outer Banks now that the remnants from Debby have finally left the region.

IMG_8889.jpeg

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
I ain’t dealing with you. I’m over here making art.

View attachment 19212

…and being made fun of for it.

View attachment 19213
The way all these houses are built just seems really weird to me, like they're all super tall to see above the relatively low tree coverage, but it just makes it really clear where the neighbors are. I'm guessing that's near water, if I see a bridge in the background? That might make more sense why they'd want to be up higher, especially if considering flooding.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
The way all these houses are built just seems really weird to me, like they're all super tall to see above the relatively low tree coverage, but it just makes it really clear where the neighbors are. I'm guessing that's near water, if I see a bridge in the background? That might make more sense why they'd want to be up higher, especially if considering flooding.

I guess that’s just how they build all of the houses here on the barrier island. Most of the ground floors are carports or garages for the inevitable flooding from hurricanes. It’s definitely weird having to climb 3 flights of steps to reach a second floor bedroom or take an elevator in a house.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
I guess that’s just how they build all of the houses here on the barrier island. Most of the ground floors are carports or garages for the inevitable flooding from hurricanes. It’s definitely weird having to climb 3 flights of steps to reach a second floor bedroom or take an elevator in a house.
I think that's why it looked off to me, they're built like beach houses that expect flooding. I just don't think you're anywhere near the beach. But makes sense.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
Classic Film Johnny Rocco GIF by Warner Archive

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I'm not sure. Is it flooded?

Nah, the area in between is, though… or it’s regularly marshy like that, I dunno. NC12 was flooded in quite a few spots heading here, but the people we’re with told us about a barbecue truck in the same lot as that gas station they went to yesterday… and it was too much of a coincidence to not ask.

Nah, the area in between is, though… or it’s regularly marshy like that, I dunno. NC12 was flooded in quite a few spots heading here, but the people we’re with told us about a barbecue truck in the same lot as that gas station they went to yesterday… and it was too much of a coincidence to not ask.
I think it's a mix of Filipino and other Asian/Pacific BBQ cuisines.

Edit: I can see the meal I had in my head and want it now, but I have nothing here that I know of that serves that similar of food.

Edit 2: My phone didn't catch me not spelling Filipino correctly...

Last edited:

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I think it's a mix of Philippino and other Asian/Pacific BBQ cuisines.

That would be the one, they ended up getting some Korean chicken and some other barbecue from there. They had nothing but good things to say about the place, so, we might have to check it out since you’re the second confirmation.

I did zero research on this vacation, so we’re just winging it.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
How far are you willing to drive for food? Do you have any interest in aquariums? Do you intend to buy some random shit?

We made it to the NC aquarium over by the airport, if that’s the one you were referring to. The one in Baltimore is definitely larger, but I like the focus on local wildlife the NC one has.

We made it to the NC aquarium over by the airport, if that’s the one you were referring to. The one in Baltimore is definitely larger, but I like the focus on local wildlife the NC one has.
Yeah, that's the one. Also, worth checking out Jennette's Pier. It's a fishing pier with a small aquarium. Two bucks to walk the pier for the whole day. 14 to fish. Great way to get a full view of the beach from the ocean without getting a boat.

Also, definitely worth checking out the sand dunes at Jockey State Park. Love the sunset views.

In the other direction, there's a solid museum at the end of the road before the ferry.

There are lots of antique stores and some places sell handmade stuff. There's an interesting place that takes refuge and turns them into pieces of art.

Food suggestions:

FroYo that let's you build your own bowl.

Food Dudes Kitchen - Small hole in the wall restaurant that serves Caribbean style food and some seafood based entrees.

Tale of the Whale - High end seafood restaurant. Both times I went to the Outer Banks with my family, I took them here for my dinner night (others just make food for their day). Really popular among family members. They're not used to high end food because they're not the kind of people who would find fancy food worth paying for. They have a gift shop. They do not take reservations, but they do take call ins the day of if you have a large group (I had 14 this past May). They have a bar, but I don't know if they serve food. If you want to try out high end seafood, this is the place.

I can suggest more places, if you want. Most are going to be Nags Head and north. Traveling from Duck/Corona down to Waves and Hatteras takes a LOT of time and I had to be back to the house by 5PM every day in order to participate in the dinners. There are some solid burger joints, diners, and pizza by the slice places. Also, there's a Target in Nags Head (it'll be closer to you than the Walmart).

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Yeah, that's the one. Also, worth checking out Jennette's Pier. It's a fishing pier with a small aquarium. Two bucks to walk the pier for the whole day. 14 to fish. Great way to get a full view of the beach from the ocean without getting a boat.

Also, definitely worth checking out the sand dunes at Jockey State Park. Love the sunset views.

In the other direction, there's a solid museum at the end of the road before the ferry.

There are lots of antique stores and some places sell handmade stuff. There's an interesting place that takes refuge and turns them into pieces of art.

Food suggestions:

FroYo that let's you build your own bowl.

Food Dudes Kitchen - Small hole in the wall restaurant that serves Caribbean style food and some seafood based entrees.

Tale of the Whale - High end seafood restaurant. Both times I went to the Outer Banks with my family, I took them here for my dinner night (others just make food for their day). Really popular among family members. They're not used to high end food because they're not the kind of people who would find fancy food worth paying for. They have a gift shop. They do not take reservations, but they do take call ins the day of if you have a large group (I had 14 this past May). They have a bar, but I don't know if they serve food. If you want to try out high end seafood, this is the place.

I can suggest more places, if you want. Most are going to be Nags Head and north. Traveling from Duck/Corona down to Waves and Hatteras takes a LOT of time and I had to be back to the house by 5PM every day in order to participate in the dinners. There are some solid burger joints, diners, and pizza by the slice places. Also, there's a Target in Nags Head (it'll be closer to you than the Walmart).

Thanks for the suggestions, dude. I’m gonna see how many of these we can end up hitting, I wish I would have talked about this with you sooner since we leave Sunday morning. So far, you’re batting 1.000 on the food truck and the aquarium, she really enjoyed that today for her birthday.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Make sure you hit up a Circle K and then write a review about how inconvenient self-checkout registers are. It seems to be the in thing to do for tourists in OBX.

Man, I wish someone would have told me the official mascot of this town was a goddamn mosquito. Those things love me, and they’ve been the worst part of the trip since stuff like Deet and Off is useless for me.

a dip goblin

puppy haver
Sucks
10K Post Club
GW Elder
Here's the state of my bathroom at the moment

View attachment 20361

We're replacing all the sewer pipes underground so there's about 30 people here digging errthang up
Seems inefficient for a bathroom. Or any room for that matter.

Opposite of what we just had happen where we didn't have a ceiling in one of our rooms for a couple of months.

There’s your problem… that ain’t supposed to go there, and your electrical insulation looks older than Benjamin Franklin. Hopefully you were able to fish all of that old shit out when you replaced that receptacle.
oh, I ain't doing that shit... I don't even know how I'm supposed to fix the hole in order to put in the new light I bought for it 2 years ago....

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
oh, I ain't doing that shit... I don't even know how I'm supposed to fix the hole in order to put in the new light I bought for it 2 years ago....

You’re looking at a couple hour job, tops, including your hardware store run, assuming you don’t have Sheetrock, scrap 2x4, and all that bullshit laying around. You’re basically going to want square off that hole, tie in some scrap 2x4 to the studs for your new receptacle and fixture, secure the Sheetrock patch to the 2x4(s), mount the new receptacle, spackle, finish, and paint to match. The electrical is what concerns me, because I wouldn’t necessarily trust even powering a low voltage LED on that line as it appears now, unless that’s just old shit that you fished out when taking the old receptacle out and I’m not seeing the newer line. Do you know the last time your house was rewired?

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
probably 1950-whatever.

Sounds about right, judging by the type of insulation used on that wiring. I would definitely, at a minimum, see how much of that wiring you can see without opening up more of the ceiling. If you’re lucky, the stuff by the receptacle is worn from being curled up and handled over the years and you can clean it up before mounting the new light. If you’re not, you might want to start taking notes of electrical issues throughout your house and testing your voltage… because you’re not far off from having issues, if you haven’t already experienced some.

I have access to the crawl space/attic. The money and time it would cost to rewire the entire house when I'm likely going to be moving in the next year or so is not worth it. I haven't noticed any major issues, outside of a breaker tripping because you apparently can't operate a dishwasher and microwave at the same time on the same circuit.

did a little science test and went around the house and poked my outlets with a metal fork. Found a bunch of open grounds (old house and all) and a couple outlets with hot and neutral swapped for some reason. Swapped pairs are easy. I imagine the open grounds require line replacement. The ones I'm finding with swapped pairs have a white shielding. The opens are likely the old black ones.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I have access to the crawl space/attic. The money and time it would cost to rewire the entire house when I'm likely going to be moving in the next year or so is not worth it. I haven't noticed any major issues, outside of a breaker tripping because you apparently can't operate a dishwasher and microwave at the same time on the same circuit.

You should be good if you plan on moving soon. Don’t be surprised if your next place trips breakers, though. I’ve seen brand new constructions with kitchens entirely on a single 20 amp breaker, which is asking for a trip using appliances like those. Every electrician I know suggests splitting load between two breakers for a modern kitchen. Between dishwashers, Keurig machines, and air fryers, and then the shift to electric appliances over fossil fuels… we have more appliances in our kitchens than ever before. A lot of older homes can’t handle that shit.

You should be good if you plan on moving soon. Don’t be surprised if your next place trips breakers, though. I’ve seen brand new constructions with kitchens entirely on a single 20 amp breaker, which is asking for a trip using appliances like those. Every electrician I know suggests splitting load between two breakers for a modern kitchen. Between dishwashers, Keurig machines, and air fryers, and then the shift to electric appliances over fossil fuels… we have more appliances in our kitchens than ever before. A lot of older homes can’t handle that shit.
I put in a quote request. My entertainment system is using outlets with no ground and I believe the pairs are swapped at the circuit breaker. At the very very least I need the porch light set up. I tried replacing the light, but I had to splice the wires and heavily wrap it in electrical tape, it is not up to code. I can't set it to a timer either because of no fucking ground

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
You would have loved one of the houses when I lived in Singapore. Everytime there was a thunderstorm it would trip the main breaker.

Man, lemme tell you something… I have a lot of friends in trades, and we share a lot of videos around. The vast majority of the ones I see pertaining to electrical “work” come from Asian countries… and those dudes have not heard of a little thing called “safety”. The worst one I saw was a young guy reset a high voltage overhead line with rubber gloves you wouldn’t wash the underside of your car with.

I put in a quote request. My entertainment system is using outlets with no ground and I believe the pairs are swapped at the circuit breaker. At the very very least I need the porch light set up. I tried replacing the light, but I had to splice the wires and heavily wrap it in electrical tape, it is not up to code. I can't set it to a timer either because of no fucking ground

My biggest concern with calling in a company is they’re gonna try to sell you on rewiring the entire house. Yes, it’ll increase your resale value if the electrical is up to code, but, if you intend to sell as-is, the buyer’s intent is going to be to gut the place and run all new to begin with. Your goal should not exceed your problem area, the porch light to the main feed for that particular breaker. It sounds to me like you’re encountering the same problem a lot of owners of older homes encounter… a combination of electrical gremlins that manifested over time, and a whole bunch of hands in that panel over the course of decades.

My biggest concern with calling in a company is they’re gonna try to sell you on rewiring the entire house. Yes, it’ll increase your resale value if the electrical is up to code, but, if you intend to sell as-is, the buyer’s intent is going to be to gut the place and run all new to begin with. Your goal should not exceed your problem area, the porch light to the main feed for that particular breaker. It sounds to me like you’re encountering the same problem a lot of owners of older homes encounter… a combination of electrical gremlins that manifested over time, and a whole bunch of hands in that panel over the course of decades.
This house passed inspection when I moved in. The only electrical issues were some issue at the circuit breaker which was resolved. I do not want them replacing all the wiring, especially when the basement, kitchen, bathroom, and one outlet in the master bedroom don't need any work done.

Selling as-is will likely make it so I can't at least sell it for the price I bought it.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
This house passed inspection when I moved in. The only electrical issues were some issue at the circuit breaker which was resolved. I do not want them replacing all the wiring, especially when the basement, kitchen, bathroom, and one outlet in the master bedroom don't need any work done.

Selling as-is will likely make it so I can't at least sell it for the price I bought it.

Okay, so that makes me optimistic that the whole house’s wiring doesn’t look as bad as that picture. You shouldn’t get ripped off too badly by an electrician if that’s the case, then. It isn’t that bad running a fresh line to a panel.

Okay, so that makes me optimistic that the whole house’s wiring doesn’t look as bad as that picture. You shouldn’t get ripped off too badly by an electrician if that’s the case, then. It isn’t that bad running a fresh line to a panel.
I did some research. I might be able to get away with not grounding outlets by replacing outlets with GFCI outlets (the ones you typically see in bathrooms). My kitchen already has two by the sink (makes sense).

It supposedly doesn't protect my equipment from surges, but that's what surge protectors are for. I replace the outlets and put a label stating that there is no official ground.

If replacing wiring will require digging into the walls, I'm just going to go with GFCIs and have the electrician deal with the bullshit st my front door...

Back
Top Bottom