Post your pictures

Here is the last picture of me and my friend together who passed away last week. For the last 10 years she lived on the other side of the country and she visited every few years. It was very memorable meeting, not now just because it was our last, but it was a surprise. My wife and I were going to have a lunch date and little did I know they had schemed a surprise, I dont get surprised, but it is one of the happiest moments of my life and I still remember it like it was yesterday because I was so confused when I saw her and she said "do you need a table, because I have room at this table"

IMG_20220625_134233.jpg

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Here is the last picture of me and my friend together who passed away last week. For the last 10 years she lived on the other side of the country and she visited every few years. It was very memorable meeting, not now just because it was our last, but it was a surprise. My wife and I were going to have a lunch date and little did I know they had schemed a surprise, I dont get surprised, but it is one of the happiest moments of my life and I still remember it like it was yesterday because I was so confused when I saw her and she said "do you need a table, because I have room at this table"

View attachment 12558
What a wonderful memory, and how happy you both look together. A memory to cherish, for sure ❤️

Ben

Stoned Guardian
Badministrator
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
GW Elder
I almost fucked up baaaad.

I drove my oldest back to his mom in MA tonight, which is about 160 miles each way. The tank on my Rav4 gets just around 320 miles when full, so I can generally get the whole way there and back and be running down on my last 12 miles or so when I hit the gas station near my house.

Well today, he and I went to an arcade up in Rotterdam about 30 miles away, and I filled up before going there. I didn't even think about it after dropping him off and starting on my way back, until I noticed my gas light come on while driving through the Berkshire mountains. 12 mile range left. Waze told me the next gas station was 10 miles away off some exit around Lee, with it closing soon (it was about 9:50 when I noticed.)

I added the stop and as I'm driving I'm watching the range on the car decreasing faster than the miles left on navigation... I roll up to the station with my tank reading "---", at 10:01pm. Pumps were shut off. I did another search for nearby stations and found one 0.6 miles away that was 24/7. Car luckily still started up. As I was heading to the one I'd told Waze to go to, I saw a closer station with the pump screens still on, and someone else parked at one. Pulled in there thinking I was saved, got out, put my card in and activated the pump, stuck the nozzle into the tank and... Nothing. No fuel, internal pumps shut off, they just didn't deactivate the POS system...

I couldn't tell if the other car stopped there was managing to get anything or not, so I asked the lady if she was also having trouble, which she was. Another dead station.

She said there was another station up around the corner, which would have been the one I first searched. Again, luckily, the car started back up and I was able to follow her the half-mile to the thankfully open and stocked station, managing to fill my tank.

IMG20240414220621.jpg
IMG20240414220615.jpg

So I almost got stuck walking in the mountains. Fun.

Also, this is a child pumping gas earlier in the day... Like, 10 or 11 years old.

IMG20240414180541.jpgIMG20240414180549.jpg

Maybe if I told my kids to go fill up my tank, I wouldn't have run out of gas. 🤔

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder

I drove my oldest back to his mom in MA tonight, which is about 160 miles each way. The tank on my Rav4 gets just around 320 miles when full, so I can generally get the whole way there and back and be running down on my last 12 miles or so when I hit the gas station near my house.

Well today, he and I went to an arcade up in Rotterdam about 30 miles away, and I filled up before going there. I didn't even think about it after dropping him off and starting on my way back, until I noticed my gas light come on while driving through the Berkshire mountains. 12 mile range left. Waze told me the next gas station was 10 miles away off some exit around Lee, with it closing soon (it was about 9:50 when I noticed.)

I added the stop and as I'm driving I'm watching the range on the car decreasing faster than the miles left on navigation... I roll up to the station with my tank reading "---", at 10:01pm. Pumps were shut off. I did another search for nearby stations and found one 0.6 miles away that was 24/7. Car luckily still started up. As I was heading to the one I'd told Waze to go to, I saw a closer station with the pump screens still on, and someone else parked at one. Pulled in there thinking I was saved, got out, put my card in and activated the pump, stuck the nozzle into the tank and... Nothing. No fuel, internal pumps shut off, they just didn't deactivate the POS system...

I couldn't tell if the other car stopped there was managing to get anything or not, so I asked the lady if she was also having trouble, which she was. Another dead station.

She said there was another station up around the corner, which would have been the one I first searched. Again, luckily, the car started back up and I was able to follow her the half-mile to the thankfully open and stocked station, managing to fill my tank.

View attachment 13503
View attachment 13504

Also, this is a child pumping gas earlier in the day... Like, 10 or 11 years old.

View attachment 13506View attachment 13505

Maybe if I told my kids to go fill up my tank, I wouldn't have run out of gas. 🤔
Eek, I always hate the moment when the range disappears. Scary stuff and it gets the hypermiling brain going. Glad you made it!

Definitely. Kids no longer get allowance, they get to save up to fill the tank.

• Hugs
Reactions: Ben

Ben

Stoned Guardian
Badministrator
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
GW Elder
Eek, I always hate the moment when the range disappears. Scary stuff and it gets the hypermiling brain going. Glad you made it!

Definitely. Kids no longer get allowance, they get to save up to fill the tank.
I know they put the "empty" gauge a little higher than actual empty, to account for idiots like me, but yeah... Anxiety get.

Edit: and honestly the first time I've ever hit that "---" low! Fair record, I guess.

View attachment 13503
View attachment 13504

View attachment 13506View attachment 13505

There’s a Cumberland station on route 7 in great barrington that I believe is 24/7

Ben

Stoned Guardian
Badministrator
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
GW Elder
There’s a Cumberland station on route 7 in great barrington that I believe is 24/7
Probably, and I was also just a little bit before the service plaza, but I didn't think I'd make it that much further. X's are the ones I tried, arrow is around where I hit "---", just before that exit.

1713180930571.png
1713180905807.png

🤷

Probably, and I was also just a little bit before the service plaza, but I didn't think I'd make it that much further. X's are the ones I tried, arrow is around where I hit "---", just before that exit.

View attachment 13510
View attachment 13509

🤷
you would have hit others that would have been open on route 7 before reaching great barrington

• Shrug
Reactions: Ben

Ben

Stoned Guardian
Badministrator
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
GW Elder
I was looking at a map of the area and misread Saugerties as Sugartitties.

...I've read too many things for my brain to handle today!
I'm sure I could make a Venn-diagram of this area to find the overlap between "Native American named towns", "European towns with 'new' stuck in front", and "Stupid white people names".

I actually assume most of the funny sounding ones I picked out here are in the first category, having some Native meaning, but "Kerhonkson" is firmly on the "stupid white people names" end.

1713203400046.png

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
The idea of habitually waiting until you only have 12 miles worth of gas left to fill up is making me anxious just thinking about it.

If you want your fuel pump to last as long as possible, don't let your tank fall below a quarter full. Fuel pumps use fuel to cool and lubricate themselves. If you get new vehicles every few years, you probably won't ever see the consequences, but if you're planning to keep your vehicle for a while, it will kill the pump eventually.

A quarter tank may seem higher than necessary, but it's because fuel sloshes around when you drive.

Ben

Stoned Guardian
Badministrator
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
GW Elder
The idea of habitually waiting until you only have 12 miles worth of gas left to fill up is making me anxious just thinking about it.

If you want your fuel pump to last as long as possible, don't let your tank fall below a quarter full. Fuel pumps use fuel to cool and lubricate themselves. If you get new vehicles every few years, you probably won't ever see the consequences, but if you're planning to keep your vehicle for a while, it will kill the pump eventually.

A quarter tank may seem higher than necessary, but it's because fuel sloshes around when you drive.
Pffft... The chances that both my cars are 10,000+ miles past due for an oil change is very high... I'm not the type of person to care about being on top of proper vehicle maintenance, ever. But they're both Toyotas, and those things are so durable that they facilitated an entire war.

I'd also not say it's habitual to let the tank hit empty. Most of the time when I'm not being ADHD as fuck I'll fill up before making the return leg of the journey. I was just eager to get home and spaced on the earlier amount I'd driven. :shrug

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Pffft... The chances that both my cars are 10,000+ miles past due for an oil change is very high... I'm not the type of person to care about being on top of proper vehicle maintenance, ever. But they're both Toyotas, and those things are so durable that they facilitated an entire war.
Ahahaha. That reminds me of when my dad gave me his old car, and it sounded pretty funny, so I asked him when he'd last had the oil changed.
Him: Before driving to Oregon.
Me: ... What? I don't understand. We live in Oregon.
Him: Yeah, it was before that.

That was years prior, and he'd been using it to commute an hour each way five days a week since then.

That same car once got driven for an hour with no coolant before it finally overheated. After letting it cool and refilling the coolant, it still ran completely fine.

So yeah, apparently some cars can take a lot of abuse and be fine.

Quagmire:
the witch lucy GIF

Back
Top Bottom