[2023-24] NFL Thread - Offseason. Chicago Bears are on the clock.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Begrudgingly I admit that my absolute least favorite person in the history of the NFL called a pretty good game. He's still a piece of shit ref who shouldn't have a job though.

Usher was decent. No one will ever touch Prince but Usher was watchable and that's all I ask out of a halftime show anymore.

I won $50 in squares for halftime, so no matter what the game was a success for me. I totally understand the viewpoint of the Patriots run now that I'm on the outside looking in.

At least watching Mahomes work is fun, he's so freaking talented. Like Michael Jordan, there is a lot of talent around the league, but I've never seen someone so much further ahead than him. Brady had some limits in his game, Mahomes is just awesome. And they both have the killer instinct.

I won $50 in squares for halftime, so no matter what the game was a success for me. I totally understand the viewpoint of the Patriots run now that I'm on the outside looking in.

At least watching Mahomes work is fun, he's so freaking talented. Like Michael Jordan, there is a lot of talent around the league, but I've never seen someone so much further ahead than him. Brady had some limits in his game, Mahomes is just awesome. And they both have the killer instinct.
I dunno, I'm not too annoyed by this run. I was more upset by this specific game because my #2 team is the 49ers (being the youngest child I always had second pick at video games, so I was always the 49ers as a kid).

Overall I'm still fine with it.

I'm really not a rabid sports consumer (people I see acting like animals makes me not want to identify with these people) so I don't get too bothered either way. I love the spirit and competition no matter what. Now if I have no real rooting interest it defaults to - I am rooting for:

1. The team my friends want to win (except shortkut)
2. The team that has never been there
3. The team that has been there but not won
4. The team with the lesser annoying followers/fans

So by that logic - I was rooting for the Chiefs for BigDaddy and you other lot that root for them. I'm happy for you all.

I can't tell you how nice it is to have a completely reliable kicker. Whatever he is paid it should be double. I was actually kind of upset he didn't get interviewed in the little trophy area.
Yes, Butker is absolute nails. Probably one of the best seasons from a kicker in NFL history. Also, shout out to Tommy Townsend for his hold on the Super Bowl record breaking field goal. The snap was high and tight, and Townsend quickly yet smoothly reached up, caught it, and got it down just in time for Butker to kick it without missing a beat. Your heart skips a beat when you see a snap like that, but he handled it like it was no big deal.

And lol at Elway giving the trophy to the Chiefs in the Raiders stadium
I hadn't seen the video of that until today, and it truly was surreal. He has this awkward smile on his face that just says, "I hate this so much."

;____; what if Mahomes became our Ace, he can throw it's basically the same thing right

please pleeease give some of the magic to our other team, you don't need all of it now

I don't want the high to fall off a cliff now with April lol
He used to play baseball, and his dad was a Major League pitcher, so I'm sure he wouldn't be any worse than some of the guys the Royals have rolled out there the last few years. One of the perks of a Super Bowl run is that the break between football and baseball season is that much shorter.

Which is a much better OT rule, I believe. There’s still enough of a sense of urgency to push the players, but it’s far more balanced.
Yep, I think they may have finally found the most balanced way to do it.

As someone who holds a mild dislike for both teams, I honestly thought it was a very good game. But it felt more like a throwback game from before the NFL decided to make the game completely tilted towards offense. Felt like real football.
The watch experience is definitely different when your team is involved, so I didn't think too much about it in the moment, but looking back on it, it's crazy to think that it was only 10-3 at halftime. It was jarring when McDuffie got called for holding near the end of the game because there were so few penalties called throughout. Lots of good defense too. With as much as the game has been tilted to favor offense, it was refreshing watching the Chiefs defense all season, and this game was no different.

Seems like a decent change - albeit I would think you wouldn't want to be the first team to receive in overtime now.
Yeah, Shanahan has been getting shredded for taking the ball first. He said he did it so they could get the ball third (assuming it was still tied after each team's first possession). I don't think that outweighs the advantage of getting the ball second and knowing what you need to do (and can know you are in four down territory the whole drive if you are behind). At least two 49ers players basically said they didn't know the knew rule was a thing, and the Chiefs said they had talked about this potential scenario since training camp. The Chiefs said they were going to take the ball second and if it came down to both teams scoring a touchdown, they were going to go for two to win the game. With the new rule, you can never win the game on the first possession if you are on offense, but there is always a chance you can if you're on offense second (unless the first team goes for two after a touchdown, but that probably isn't likely).

This. Michael Jordan has been the name people have been bringing up a lot recently when talking about Mahomes. Someone mentioned the point of all the players whose great career accolades look just a little less bright because one player (Jordan/Mahomes) was just that much better. While games like this one get very tense, there is always a part of you that remembers you have Mahomes, and therefore a more than decent chance to pull through.

Reactions: TD
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood Look GIF by LASFAR

Just throwing some offseason articles this way:

Free Agents: https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/in...ts-ranking-top-50-players-available-offseason
Yates Mock Draft: https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/...ions-32-round-1-picks-predictions-field-yates

Expectation from Yates is that the top 3 QBs will be the top 3 selections in the draft, in order: Williams, Daniels, Maye. Then the super explosive Marvin Harrison Jr. being picked 4th and heading to the Cards.
That is the consensus, with really only Daniels vs. Maye going second. I KIND of hope Daniels falls to the Pats at 3. And with Dan Quinn leading the shit show that is the Commanders, I have a feeling Maye is more appealing to him.

And as someone with the #1 overall pick in my Dynasty draft, Harrison BETTER to to the Cards... Best option for him (and me). If the Patriots, Commanders or Bears screw me over I'm not gonna be happy.

Jimmy G is being suspended two games for PEDs (so that's how he stayed healthy) but the Raiders are expected to release him.

...we now have to contend with Reid, Payton, and Harbaugh.

Welcome To Hell Swerk GIF
At least you have Pierce as your coach and Crosby and Adams....

And that cop from Super Troopers as your QB.

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
At least you have Pierce as your coach and Crosby and Adams....

And that cop from Super Troopers as your QB.
Pierce while I'm not necessarily objecting to is nowhere near Reid, Payton, and Harbaugh.

Crosby can only do so much. Adams is good and all, but he's on the wrong side of 30 and I never wanted that trade to begin with.

...AOC is terrible so if we're gonna start him we may as well just accept we are tanking.

Pierce while I'm not necessarily objecting to is nowhere near Reid, Payton, and Harbaugh.

Crosby can only do so much. Adams is good and all, but he's on the wrong side of 30 and I never wanted that trade to begin with.

...AOC is terrible so if we're gonna start him we may as well just accept we are tanking.
Oh, I think you missed the fact my comment was DOUSED in sarcasm.

• This Is Fine
I don't mind Maye, and he may be fine as a player, but if I'm the Patriots, I'm hoping to hell the Commanders take Maye. He did play with Howell, so... I think Daniels is going to have the best career of the three, honestly. But it's looking increasingly likely that Washington takes Daniels at 2. As long as that doesn't prompt the Patriots to be stupid and take Harrison at three, I'm ok with it.

So ready for the draft, Giants are not in the best position to get a quarterback, cuz I think the top three are going to all drafted QB. But it'll be interesting if the Patriots don't draft a QB, Giants and Vikings will probably look to move up. It's a very no because I really have no idea what the Giants are going to do because it's really all based on what happens before them

So ready for the draft, Giants are not in the best position to get a quarterback, cuz I think the top three are going to all drafted QB. But it'll be interesting if the Patriots don't draft a QB, Giants and Vikings will probably look to move up. It's a very no because I really have no idea what the Giants are going to do because it's really all based on what happens before them
I would be shocked if the Patriots don't take a QB. The only way they don't is if they trade with the Vikings.

My personal favorite option would be for them to trade out with the Vikings at 3, get the 11 and 23 and a 3rd. Trade back in to the top five with the Chargers for 11 and a second next year, and take McCarthy at 5 and a WR like Thomas/Worthy at 23. That's the ideal scenario for them, in my opinion.

In the end (and in reality because this always happens with the hype), I think we see less trades and it goes:

1. Bears - Williams
  2. Wash - Daniels
  3. Pats - Maye
  4. Arizona - Harrison
  5. Vikings trade into 5 to take JJ
  6. Giants - Nabers
  7. Titans - Alt
  8. Falcons - Turner
  9. Bears - Odunze
  10. Jets - Bowers

After that you'd have the Chargers at 11 taking likely Fashanu. The Broncos at 12 I think do the stupid because they are the Broncos and take Penix in a panic. After that... who cares lol.

I would be shocked if the Patriots don't take a QB. The only way they don't is if they trade with the Vikings.

My personal favorite option would be for them to trade out with the Vikings at 3, get the 11 and 23 and a 3rd. Trade back in to the top five with the Chargers for 11 and a second next year, and take McCarthy at 5 and a WR like Thomas/Worthy at 23. That's the ideal scenario for them, in my opinion.

In the end (and in reality because this always happens with the hype), I think we see less trades and it goes:

1. Bears - Williams
  2. Wash - Daniels
  3. Pats - Maye
  4. Arizona - Harrison
  5. Vikings trade into 5 to take JJ
  6. Giants - Nabers
  7. Titans - Alt
  8. Falcons - Turner
  9. Bears - Odunze
  10. Jets - Bowers

After that you'd have the Chargers at 11 taking likely Fashanu. The Broncos at 12 I think do the stupid because they are the Broncos and take Penix in a panic. After that... who cares lol.

I think Chargers want one of the top 3 WRs, but may trade back for more picks so I can see both

I think Penix can be a really good QB, its just his injury history that keeps him from being a top 5 pick. So dont know if I'd call 12 stupid, but it would be a gamble due to his injury history.

I think Chargers want one of the top 3 WRs, but may trade back for more picks so I can see both

I think Penix can be a really good QB, its just his injury history that keeps him from being a top 5 pick. So dont know if I'd call 12 stupid, but it would be a gamble due to his injury history.
Penix and Nix are not first round talents, which was my only reason for saying it's stupid. Latest rumors have the Broncos trying to trade 12 and Surtain to Arizona for 4 to get JJ. I wouldn't do that, but I don't own an NFL team.

As for the Chargers, I'd have no issues with them taking Harrison if he falls to them (or Nabers, but Harrison affects me in dynasty and I'd love to have at LEAST 7 years of him tied to Justin Herbert). But the only way this happens is if the Patriots stay at 3, take a QB AND Arizona trades out from 4 for another QB needy team. It CAN happen. But I think Arizona should be looking to stay and take Harrison. They have 2 firsts as well, and there is plenty of back of the first CBs coming that they don't need Surtain.

• This is the Way
I agree on Nix, but I do think Penix is first round talent
Too old. That alone is a disqualifier for me as a first round pick (for him specifically). I'm not taking that chance on a 24.5 (at season start) year old with an extensive injury history. Not to mention, he's left handed which means an entire o-line philosophy shift.

I MIGHT be convinced to take him late the way the Ravens did Jackson at 32. "We don't need him to be a star, but he might become one and there is no pressure on his development." But not taking him at 12... with a ton of pressure.

On the flip side.... I think Bo Nix might be the second best overall QB in this draft (personally, I think Maye is the best overall). But not a first round talent and also too old (older than Penix even). BUT... Nix might be the most polished and NFL ready of the 6 QBs.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru

Amon Ra and Chase make sense. I assume the Bateman deal is team friendly since he's been caca

If the Patriots take JJ McCarthy at #3 tomorrow I might lose my mind. I don't get what everyone sees in this kid. But I keep hearing that they are interested in him.

Roll the dice on Drake Maye/Jayden Daniels or trade down. We've had a Michigan QB before and it didn't turn out well (for the rest of the NFL).

Back
Top Bottom