[2023-24] NFL Thread - Offseason. Chicago Bears are on the clock.

If the Patriots take JJ McCarthy at #3 tomorrow I might lose my mind. I don't get what everyone sees in this kid. But I keep hearing that they are interested in him.

Roll the dice on Drake Maye/Jayden Daniels or trade down. We've had a Michigan QB before and it didn't turn out well (for the rest of the NFL).
I think they may be trying to create a buzz to get some idiot team to give them a tremendous haul for the 3.

If they don't, I think they're settled on Maye. He's my mock for the Patriots. In my latest I have JJ going 7 to the Minnesota with Minnesota unable to convince NE, Arizona or LA to trade out, so they settle on trading with Tennessee and still getting JJ.

I want Drake Maye. Drafts are always recency bias. Daniels was amazing this year, so he shot up. Maye was a little less than they thought he would be, but last year he was considered the consensus #1 pick. Everyone compares him to Herbert/Allen and I would be ecstatic for that. Rocket arm, decent running ability, good size, might be kind of stupid but his talent is off the charts.

Jerod Mayo is so unlike Belichick in that he actually talks to the media and he said that Brissett is expected to be their QB this year and if they draft a QB, they want him to sit because their team is not ready to plug a rookie in. I love that if it's not just smoke and mirrors.

I want Drake Maye. Drafts are always recency bias. Daniels was amazing this year, so he shot up. Maye was a little less than they thought he would be, but last year he was considered the consensus #1 pick. Everyone compares him to Herbert/Allen and I would be ecstatic for that. Rocket arm, decent running ability, good size, might be kind of stupid but his talent is off the charts.

Jerod Mayo is so unlike Belichick in that he actually talks to the media and he said that Brissett is expected to be their QB this year and if they draft a QB, they want him to sit because their team is not ready to plug a rookie in. I love that if it's not just smoke and mirrors.
I'm behind this 100%. I'm also behind Brissett as the bridge starter and if they are doing terrible this year (likely with the WR room), then give him (Maye) the last couple months with no pressure. I think that's the best case scenario and hope you have an Alex Smith/Pat Mahomes situation brewing out there.

Oh wow like every single draft I look at has the Raiders drafting Penix.

I don't know anything about him but keep seeing 24 with an injury history and that just seems like such a Raiders thing to do.

Can't be worse than Russell though.

Right?
He may get beat out of the starting job by Aidan O'Connell.

You tell me.

Fuck It Super Troopers GIF by Searchlight Pictures

• Haha
Reactions: TD
As long as JJ doesnt go to a team I hate, I hope he balls out. I see a lot of hate for him and I think a lot of it is based on stats. Teams are looking at him as a top 10 pick for a reason. It may be a bust, but he could work out and no one will really know for a few years
He would be best served as QB if a run first team. None of the teams he's linked to can or will play to his strength as a game manager.

He would be best served as QB if a run first team. None of the teams he's linked to can or will play to his strength as a game manager.
Most rookie quarterbacks probably would

GMs see enough upside in his physical stats and his tape to think he's worth the top 10 pick, similar to Josh Allen his stats were terrible given where he played, he wasn't even voted the best quarterback in his conference

I'm not saying he's going to be some amazing franchise quarterback, but I think he gets too much hate and I've seen enough NFL draft to see the next sure thing busting hard and gambles like Josh Allen workout to say I know anything

Most rookie quarterbacks probably would

GMs see enough upside in his physical stats and his tape to think he's worth the top 10 pick, similar to Josh Allen his stats were terrible given where he played, he wasn't even voted the best quarterback in his conference

I'm not saying he's going to be some amazing franchise quarterback, but I think he gets too much hate and I've seen enough NFL draft to see the next sure thing busting hard and gambles like Josh Allen workout to say I know anything
You're not wrong. But there is a huge difference in drafting outside your strength and philosophy.

Caleb Williams is actually going to a GOOD situation in Chicago. Imagine if Carolina DIDN'T make that trade last year.

Daniels? Washington isn't a good fit for him. He's going to struggle there. They don't have an agile o-line and they have Terry McLaurin and Jahan Dotson, they do NOT play to his strengths. He's Lamar Light and the Commanders are NOT the Ravens. The Patriots, Maye is the IDEAL candidate for them. But they NEED a receiver, so they NEED to take a top tier option in round two like McConkey if he falls. If not, they are screwed. That said, if he sits for a year, who gives a shit who Brissette is throwing to lol.

For JJ, the most common links are the Patriots, Giants, Vikings, Raiders and Broncos. NONE support his game manager, run first style. Closest is the Raiders, but sorry, TD, he's not falling there and I doubt they have the capital to get him.

• Sad
Reactions: TD
Back