[2023-24] NFL Thread - Offseason. Chicago Bears are on the clock.

Cam

Slightly Insane
I could not believe Green Bay choked last night. Thjere was no way for them to lose that game... And then they did.

Congrats to the Lions. I hope they take care of the Niners next week.

Rick52

"..."
GW Elder
i have been asked to do this due to family and location history

somehow someway the chiefs won tonight
the bills season ends yet again with a wide right
the chiefs are one step away yet once more
looking for lombardi #4
lo this success breeds contempt and disdain
every call that goes their way feels like a stain
sick o' the chiefs many may say
even more so now, thanks to tay tay
dynasties are remembered fondly, so some claim
yet none can stomach one while it occurs, what a shame!
but these chiefs are not so strong
in fact their chances this year are long
for they must travel to baltimore
for them, the likely mvp: lamar, lies in store
the tin hats will cheer for violet and black
for they feel the chiefs and refs against them will stack
but if truly there is a rig job on the dime
surely it would be lamar's time?
many league staff would not be lyin
to prefer the raven over chief, niner or lion
so the chiefs will be underdogs
yet the public will cheer for the favorites in their blogs
such is the life of the modern chief fan
but better this than to be also-ran
they will take the infamy if it means the rings
after all, popularity does not decide the kings
in retrospect the patriots and their fans were not that bad???
of course they were! chiefs fans aren't on that level of sad!

Fire Queen

official GWF wolfmistress (sometimes) | she/they
GW Elder
every person who criticizes a kicker should be required to see if they can make the same kick under the same conditions

unrelated but i've got my ear to the ground regarding the coaching carousel. if the betting lines are to be believed (they usually are) it looks like it's belichick going to the falcons and harbaugh going to the chargers

Reactions: TD
The game got stupid long ago with all the new "rules".

Marvel Studios GIF by Disney+

I may be in the minority but I find Special Teams to be a very important yet underappreciated part of the game.
I think the way it USED to be played sure. But outside of kickers missing, punting is mostly irrelevant. Kickoffs are seldom happening. And both are wanted out of the league because injuries. So... remove it. Always go for two, always start at the 25, always go for it on 4th. Want more offense? Get rid of special teams.

No one in fantasy will care :D

If Fantasy Football is your concern, may as well do away with defense and offensive lines too.

Yes special teams once had a bigger impact, but so did everything. Many defenders can't even play freaking defense anymore.
Hey, i've adjusted my defense scoring in my league. They earn points like any other player and are valuable. If you still use kickers and standard defense scoring in fantasy, talk to your commish and beg them to change. It's SOOOO much more fun with another flex and a scoring defense.

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Hey, i've adjusted my defense scoring in my league. They earn points like any other player and are valuable. If you still use kickers and standard defense scoring in fantasy, talk to your commish and beg them to change. It's SOOOO much more fun with another flex and a scoring defense.
I used to run 3 dynasty leagues and all three had IDPs with balanced scoring.

My point was more or less - if you're gonna say special teams isn't as useful anymore, the same can be said for defense when breathing on someone results in a penalty.

I used to run 3 dynasty leagues and all three had IDPs with balanced scoring.

My point was more or less - if you're gonna say special teams isn't as useful anymore, the same can be said for defense when breathing on someone results in a penalty.
To me that's a little of a gross oversimplification, but I understand what you mean. It's not ALL about fantasy, but if you think the NFL doesn't consider fantasy with some of their decisions you'd be naive.

No punting, you go for fourth down and if you fail you fail.
Punting is an integral part of the sport and gaining the field advantage. One could argue that forcing teams to run a two point conversion is better than XP kicks, but forcing teams to go for it on 4th down is a bad idea. You gonna force a team go over it on 4th and 21 on their 1 yard line? I think not.

• Agree

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
To me that's a little of a gross oversimplification, but I understand what you mean. It's not ALL about fantasy, but if you think the NFL doesn't consider fantasy with some of their decisions you'd be naive.
Fantasy?

No, they don't.

However, gambling and bookies?
1000%. That sometimes involves Fantasy. It's also the only reason the NFL investigated the "Burrow Injury Report".

Punting is an integral part of the sport and gaining the field advantage. One could argue that forcing teams to run a two point conversion is better than XP kicks, but forcing teams to go for it on 4th down is a bad idea. You gonna force a team go over it on 4th and 21 on their 1 yard line? I think not.
Then if they've not yet crossed the 50, the other team takes over on their 25/30. It's not a hard thing to figure out.

Fantasy?

No, they don't.

However, gambling and bookies?
1000%. That sometimes involves Fantasy. It's also the only reason the NFL investigated the "Burrow Injury Report".
I promise you those are one in the same. Things like Draft Kings and Caesars or whatever other daily fantasy betting sites of the ilk generate a TON of income for the NFL because they are cut into the profits. If not directly than through the fact Draft Kings is often a sponsored advertiser. Fantasy IS gambling... so that community weighs in. It's why offense matters more in "player safety" to them than defense. When was the last time an RB, QB or WR was fined, suspended or even chastised for hitting a defender low or causing a defender to get a concussion?

• Disagree

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Fantasy is not gambling because there are many people that play free iterations as a hobby so you can't really say they are the same.

Fantasy is a part of gambling, sure, but parlays and more have always existed. It's just more mainstream now.

Fantasy is not gambling because there are many people that play free iterations as a hobby so you can't really say they are the same.

Fantasy is a part of gambling, sure, but parlays and more have always existed. It's just more mainstream now.
Honestly, I think we're saying the same thing in a different way. I agree with you that there are plenty of fantasy players to where it's a hobby. But it IS gambling, in the same vain that loot boxes are gambling in video games. Even if you're using currency provided by the game and not something you physically paid for, it's gambling in the strictest definition.

Same with fantasy. I'm not referring to gambling as an act of winning money necessarily. Just what the semantic definition of gambling is. If that helps.

...you could literally just be describing a game. Fantasy with no risk and no money put in is not gambling, it's a game.
Respectfully, I disagree.

You put time and effort into drafting a team of players you hope to do well. You play each week, hoping those players perform to bring you a win. If you survive and win it all, you get something. If not money, bragging rights. That IS a prize. Winning produces serotonin, does it not? Whether it's my league of record, paid dynasty or one of the ones I play for free, I'm thrilled when I win and angry when I lose. I get upset at the players or the choices I made, or the coaches made to hurt my players. I'm invested and upset when my players are hurt.

That entire emotional investment, to me, is what makes gambling gambling.

Gambling, at it's most vague of definitions, is the wagering of something of value (time, money, emotion; all of which I'd argue are valuable to me) on a random event (players performing in a football game). You don't have to agree. It's really fine. I play in both paid and free leagues every year. Always for fun, but I want to win.

Man.... I digress... lol

Then if they've not yet crossed the 50, the other team takes over on their 25/30. It's not a hard thing to figure out.
That's bad, too. If your defense stops the opposing team, you deserve a chance at good field position.

Punting is fantastic part of the game. The Iowa Hawkeyes won a majority of their games last season off of the back of their punter. There is literally no reason to get rid of it.

• Agree
I repeat, just nix all special teams. Make it Canadian Football League.
Honestly, the CFL has the best solution for punts. You have to give the punt returner 5 yards of space or else it's a penalty. It keeps punts in the game, and it slows down the speed of extremely high-risk plays.

The CFL doesn't have a great solution for kick returns, but it at least takes half the risk of special teams out of the games with punt returns.

Back
Top Bottom