Campaign Waterdeep: Dragon Heist (Chapter 1)

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Cookie, drawing deep into her wealth of knowledge, recalls details about Xanathar. Xanathar isn't just a singular entity but a title passed down through generations to the leader of the Xanathar Thieves' Guild, a powerful criminal organization based in Waterdeep. What makes this title unique is that it has always been held by a Beholder, a creature of immense power and intelligence, paranoid and territorial by nature.

The Xanathar Guild is involved in various illicit activities ranging from smuggling, slavery, and racketeering to assassination and thievery. They are notorious for their ruthlessness and their vast network of spies and operatives across the city. The guild operates in the shadows, its members often cloaked in secrecy, and it's known for its strict hierarchy and the absolute anonymity of its leader. The current Xanathar is rumored to be even more cunning and dangerous than its predecessors, with a deep-seated paranoia that drives it to spy on its own members as much as, if not more than, its rivals.

Cookie hearing the word Xanathar explorers her brain to see if she knows this person.

Cookie's realization as to who these kenku work for makes her not feel completely terrible at having to hurt them, though she does wonder as to what drove them to this life choice. Unfortunately there is no time for her to ask these questions as they have already hurt her friends.

She follows the half-orc through the window. Impressed at how much easier it is for them to climb through the window than her, but she does her best to make it look just as effortless. Surveying the scene, she sees the half-orc up close with the nearest kenku making this a much harder shot, so she instead takes out her crossbow and fires at Kinku while using the crate next to the window as cover.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Cookie's realization as to who these kenku work for makes her not feel completely terrible at having to hurt them, though she does wonder as to what drove them to this life choice. Unfortunately there is no time for her to ask these questions as they have already hurt her friends.

She follows the half-orc through the window. Impressed at how much easier it is for them to climb through the window than her, but she does her best to make it look just as effortless. Surveying the scene, she sees the half-orc up close with the nearest kenku making this a much harder shot, so she instead takes out her crossbow and fires at Kinku while using the crate next to the window as cover.

With a steady hand, Cookie takes a moment to aim, focusing on her target amidst the frenetic movements of friend and foe alike. The warehouse, cluttered with crates and barrels, provides both obstacles and cover, adding complexity to the shot. She exhales, steadies her aim, and releases the bolt.

However, the dynamics of combat are unpredictable. Whether it's a slight miscalculation, a sudden movement from the target, or the inherent chaos of the situation, the bolt sails past the Kenku, missing its intended mark. It embeds itself harmlessly into the wooden wall of the warehouse...

1710172504996.png

(( @Local Hero ))

Lok Ahl

With a steady hand, Cookie takes a moment to aim, focusing on her target amidst the frenetic movements of friend and foe alike. The warehouse, cluttered with crates and barrels, provides both obstacles and cover, adding complexity to the shot. She exhales, steadies her aim, and releases the bolt.

However, the dynamics of combat are unpredictable. Whether it's a slight miscalculation, a sudden movement from the target, or the inherent chaos of the situation, the bolt sails past the Kenku, missing its intended mark. It embeds itself harmlessly into the wooden wall of the warehouse...

View attachment 11558

(( @Local Hero ))
Lok isn't the brightest, and he struggles to think of a sound solution.

"Kinku are like birds...birds don't like to lightning...lightning makes thunder..."

Lok hopes his rudimentary logic will work and casts Thunderclap

((I'm pretty sure this eminates from me, and I don't need to specifically target anyone. Also think I only need 1 d6, please let me know if I need anything else))

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Lok isn't the brightest, and he struggles to think of a sound solution.

"Kinku are like birds...birds don't like to lightning...lightning makes thunder..."

Lok hopes his rudimentary logic will work and casts Thunderclap

((I'm pretty sure this eminates from me, and I don't need to specifically target anyone. Also think I only need 1 d6, please let me know if I need anything else))

(( Just so you are aware, this will affect everyone within 100 feet of you. Including allies. ))

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Lok has an epiphany and realizes that birds also don't like earth quakes.

Lok gets within range to the pair of enemies on the right and casts Earth Tremor

(( Still need @Benzine to decide which type of saving throw his Hex is affecting. I also forgot to have him make a saving throw to maintain Concentration when he got hit but we'll just pretend he passed this time. ))

Lok focuses his arcane energy, directing it toward the ground beneath the feet of his avian adversaries, intent on using the terrain itself as a weapon against them.

As the spell is unleashed, the ground within a 10-foot radius around the Goliath begins to shake violently, cracking and heaving in a sudden, localized quake aimed at unbalancing and damaging the Kenku.

One of the Kenku (pictured above as Kenkoo), perhaps due to a moment of acute awareness or sheer luck, manages to anticipate the shaking ground, swiftly adjusting its stance and bracing itself against the tumultuous vibrations. This Kenku successfully navigates the chaos, remaining on its feet, largely unaffected by the spell's immediate effects. Its agility or perhaps instinctual connection to the situation at hand allows it to evade the spell's intended consequence.

The other Kenku (Kenku) is not so fortunate. Caught off guard by the sudden seismic activity, it struggles to maintain its balance amid the shifting earth. The tremor proves too much for this Kenku to withstand, and it falls to the ground, becoming prone. The force of the spell not only disrupts its stance but also inflicts bludgeoning damage as it's caught in the spell's full brunt, leaving it vulnerable to further attacks from Lok and his companions.

(( @The Flame ))

Nootie Plucker

Smart fella by day, fart smella by night
((So question. Am I able to move or at least see through these circular things here, or are they like big ass heavy barrels or something? I don't think I need to see them, but I don't want to attack these guys if I don't know they're there.

Also cones are really weird and I have a spell that does a 15 foot cone. If I were to move here would I be able to get both of these guys in it or nah? From what I could find, it looks like I would, but I wanna make sure before I waste a slot on one dude))

1710306563187.png

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
((So question. Am I able to move or at least see through these circular things here, or are they like big ass heavy barrels or something? I don't think I need to see them, but I don't want to attack these guys if I don't know they're there.

Also cones are really weird and I have a spell that does a 15 foot cone. If I were to move here would I be able to get both of these guys in it or nah? From what I could find, it looks like I would, but I wanna make sure before I waste a slot on one dude))

View attachment 11714

(( Yeah that's like, barrels and such so while it does provide partial cover, you can still see the enemies and target them. Also yeah that's exactly how I figure the cone works too. ))

Nootie Plucker

Nootie goes to his happy place and begins to strum his lute as he makes his way to the barrels, having noticed the commotion in that direction.
"Sooomewheeere over the rainbow...
Penguins flyyy
Aaand the dreams that you dream of
Dreams really do come true"

( Nootie gives Zine 1d6 Bardic Inspiration as his bonus action )
Nootie continues to play as he approaches his destination. He gets lost in the music, closing his eyes and seemingly in a trance.
"Sooomewhere over the rainbow
Penguins flyyy
Buuut yooou will never see it
Because you're going BLIND!"

His eyes jolt open and a flash of bright colorful light bursts from them.
( Nootie casts Color Spray, aimed at the two kenku behind the barrels and such )
1710395155845.png

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Nootie goes to his happy place and begins to strum his lute as he makes his way to the barrels, having noticed the commotion in that direction.
"Sooomewheeere over the rainbow...
Penguins flyyy
Aaand the dreams that you dream of
Dreams really do come true"

( Nootie gives Zine 1d6 Bardic Inspiration as his bonus action )
Nootie continues to play as he approaches his destination. He gets lost in the music, closing his eyes and seemingly in a trance.
"Sooomewhere over the rainbow
Penguins flyyy
Buuut yooou will never see it
Because you're going BLIND!"

His eyes jolt open and a flash of bright colorful light bursts from them.
( Nootie casts Color Spray, aimed at the two kenku behind the barrels and such )
View attachment 11791

Ben Zine is Inspired!

As the spell reaches its crescendo, Nootie's eyes become the conduit for the magic, emitting a brilliant, blinding cascade of sparkling, multicolored light directly towards the Kenku. This spell, drawing on the spectrum's mesmerizing hues, fans out in a wide spray designed to overwhelm the senses of those caught within its arc.

The effect of Color Spray is immediate and visually striking. The Kenku, already on edge from the tumultuous battle, find themselves suddenly engulfed in a blinding array of light. As the vibrant hues wash over them, the Kenku caught in the spray struggle to maintain their composure, their eyesight compromised by the magical assault. For a moment, the battlefield tilts in favor of Nootie and his allies, granting them a critical opportunity to exploit the disarray and press their advantage.

1710451897120.png

Initiative Order
Nootie
Ben Zine
Kenku
Half-Orc Barbarian
Cookie
Lok Ahl

(( @Benzine is next ))

Ben Zine

Senor ember
Zine starts line dancing with the music, taking one square step to his right, to send a eldritch blast due north at the easternmost Kenku. He then finishes his line dancing TO BE BEHIND THE BOXES

(( i have rolled for hex damage JUST IN CASE but i don't think that's the correct kenku, but i'm not clear on the movements soz)

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Zine starts line dancing with the music, taking one square step to his right, to send a eldritch blast due north at the easternmost Kenku. He then finishes his line dancing TO BE BEHIND THE BOXES

(( i have rolled for hex damage JUST IN CASE but i don't think that's the correct kenku, but i'm not clear on the movements soz)

(( It is the one labelled simply "Kenku" that you hexed, ftr ))

Empowered by the chaotic fray that surrounds him, Ben Zine channels his arcane energy, focusing it into the palm of his hand. The air crackles with the gathering power, a dark energy swirling and coalescing into a singular point of force. With a determined look and a flick of his wrist, he releases the pent-up energy, directing an Eldritch Blast towards one of the Kenku assailants.

The beam of dark, crackling energy streaks across the warehouse with unerring precision. It bridges the distance between the Warlock and his target in the blink of an eye. The Kenku, caught off guard by the sudden attack, has barely a moment to react before the blast makes its impact.

Upon contact, the energy explodes with a concussive force, striking the Kenku with a power that belies its ethereal nature. The force of the blast is enough to stagger the bird-like creature, sending it reeling. Feathers ruffle and scatter, a visual marker of the impact's severity, as the Kenku struggles to regain its footing and composure. In a moment of pain, the Kenku yells out, in a thin, nasally voice: "Follow the yellow signs in the sewers!"

(( Its getting late for me so I'm going to head to bed, and I'll post the enemy turn after work on the morrow ))

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Kenku Turn

"THIEVES!"

The warehouse, already echoing with the clamor of battle, momentarily focuses on the peculiar exchange between the Half-Orc barbarian and one of the Kenku attackers. The Kenku, utilizing its innate ability to mimic sounds and voices it has heard, replicates the Barbarian's battle cry with uncanny accuracy. The sound, a perfect echo of the Half-Orc's initial scream, fills the space, creating a surreal moment of repetition amidst the chaos.

The Kenku, driven by a blend of instinct and desperation, attempts to strike at the barbarian, hoping to land a blow with its shortsword, even though he is still reeling from the disorienting effects of Nootie's Color Spray. The barbarian watches as the Kenku, its movements uncertain and erratic due to the lingering spell effects, advances. The creature's attempt at an attack is poorly aimed and easily telegraphed, a shadow of its potential lethality, hindered by the magical barrage it had endured.

With a swift and practiced move, the barbarian sidesteps the clumsy thrust. The Kenku's blade slices through the air, missing its intended target by a wide margin.

~~~

Relying on the echoes of sounds within the warehouse and the vague outlines of shapes it can barely perceive, the other Kenku under the spellbinding effects of Nootie's Color Spray notches an arrow to its shortbow. With a shaky aim guided more by intuition than sight, it releases the bowstring, sending the arrow in what it hopes is the direction of its assailant, Nootie the Bard.

The arrow, however, betrays the Kenku's impaired state. It flies wide of the mark, its path erratic and unguided. It misses Nootie entirely, embedding itself harmlessly into one of the many wooden supports that line the warehouse walls.

~~~

In the tense atmosphere of the warehouse, the last two Kenku see an opportunity to take down Lok Ahl, who has been a significant threat with his spellcasting abilities. One helps the other back to his feet after being knocked down by the Earth Tremor, then they both advance with determination, shortswords at the ready, aiming to eliminate the sorcerer from the equation.

The first Kenku, perhaps overly eager to land a hit on Lok, swings its sword with all its might. However, the swing is poorly timed and even more poorly aimed, a critical failure that not only misses Lok Ahl but also leaves the Kenku in a vulnerable position. In its overextension, the Kenku stumbles, losing its balance and falling right back to the floor once more.

The second Kenku, learning from its companion's mistake, approaches with a bit more caution but with equal determination. It strikes with precision, its blade cutting through the air and finding its mark. Lok Ahl, focused on the first Kenku's spectacular failure, is caught off-guard. The sword lands a solid blow, the impact sharp and immediate. Pain flares up, a tangible reminder of the danger the Kenku represent, even as the battle swings back and forth with each passing moment.

Lok Ahl takes 6 piercing damage!

1710534922416.png

(( @Joseph Snapple ))

Joseph Snapple

You don't know how to treat the Crypt Keeper!
With an annoyed snort, the snarling half-orc plants her feet firm once more, the hand that she had loosened from her greataxe's haft as she avoided the Kenku's desperate lunge returning to it's rightful place. Stance resumed, she brings her considerable power to bear, leveraging her low-hanging axehead into a quick, upward slice at the creature's gut.

((If this happens to kill, please move me into engagement range with Kinku - edit - to its north))

Ah shit didnt realize an edit would fuck with the Dice.

Result to hit was 5+5

Damage was 9+ 5

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
With an annoyed snort, the snarling half-orc plants her feet firm once more, the hand that she had loosened from her greataxe's haft as she avoided the Kenku's desperate lunge returning to it's rightful place. Stance resumed, she brings her considerable power to bear, leveraging her low-hanging axehead into a quick, upward slice at the creature's gut.

((If this happens to kill, please move me into engagement range with Kinku - edit - to its north))

Ah shit didnt realize an edit would fuck with the Dice.

Result to hit was 5+5

Damage was 9+ 5

The Kenku, moving erratically and without any real sense of direction due to its blinded state, inadvertently sidesteps the attack. The axe slices through the air, missing its target by mere inches. Or centimeters, depending on where you're reading this.

(( @Christina ))

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Cookie plants her feet firmly and squares her shoulders and takes another shot at Kinku with her crossbow.
Crossbow at Kinku

The bolt flies straight and true. The Kenku, unable to see the incoming threat due to its impaired vision, has no chance to dodge or deflect. The bolt strikes the Kenku with a thud, its impact unmistakable even amidst the din of combat.

(( @Local Hero is next ))

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Lok steps forward, aiming to land a solid blow on one of the avian assailants.

However, combat is unpredictable, and even the best-laid plans can go awry in the heat of the moment. As Lok swings his quarterstaff with determination, his footing slips on the uneven, debris-littered floor of the warehouse. The misstep throws off his balance and timing, leading to a critical failure in his attack.

The quarterstaff, rather than striking the Kenku, swings wide, missing its target entirely. The momentum of the failed swing coupled with his compromised balance causes Lok Ahl to stumble forward, placing him in a potentially vulnerable position relative to his enemies. It's a humbling moment for Lok, one that highlights the inherent risks of melee combat, especially in a cluttered and unfamiliar environment.

(( @The Flame ))

Nootie Plucker

Nootie shakes his head as the Color Spray spell fades from his eyes, confused at what just happened. He notices the strange movements of the two kenku(s) in front of him and takes the opportunity to fire off a bolt from each of his crossbows. (One at each. Unless I have no line of sight at Kenneth, in which case I'll just boltdump both into Kinku)

Kenneth
1710644424468.png1710644461735.png

Kinku
1710644535896.png1710644564279.png

Advantage is a helluva drug

ufc forums GIF

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
(( If I'm not mistaken, the advantage would be over when your turn starts? Pretty sure Color Spray has a 1 turn duration but I'm not at the PC right now where I have everyone's sheets pulled up. ))

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Nootie shakes his head as the Color Spray spell fades from his eyes, confused at what just happened. He notices the strange movements of the two kenku(s) in front of him and takes the opportunity to fire off a bolt from each of his crossbows. (One at each. Unless I have no line of sight at Kenneth, in which case I'll just boltdump both into Kinku)

Kenneth
View attachment 11969View attachment 11970

Kinku
View attachment 11971View attachment 11972

Advantage is a helluva drug

ufc forums GIF

As he prepares to unleash his volley, the warehouse, a place marked by the grime and grit of battle, inexplicably transforms. From seemingly nowhere, a flock of doves bursts into the air behind him, their white feathers catching the scant light as they take flight and time seems to slow to a crawl. The scene, surreal in its contrast to the violence of their surroundings, casts Nootie in an almost otherworldly light, as if the very fabric of reality has bent to underscore the gravity of his action.

With a fluid motion that belies the tension of the moment, Nootie unleashes his bolts simultaneously, one from each hand-crossbow. The projectiles slice through the air, twin harbinger of fate for the Kenku caught in their path. The scene, reminiscent of a dramatic showdown from a bard's tale, unfolds with lethal precision.

The bolts find their marks with deadly accuracy, striking the Kenku before they can react or defend. The impact is swift and unforgiving, leaving no room for doubt or survival. The two Kenku crumple to the ground, their threats neutralized by Nootie's daring and skillful display.

The doves, their serene flight a stark juxtaposition to the lethal ballet below, add an element of grace to the scene, their presence a fleeting reminder of peace in a moment dominated by conflict. As they disappear into the shadows of the warehouse's rafters, the moment passes, leaving Nootie standing amidst the fallout of his actions, the dual hand crossbows smoking in his hands. Why are they smoking? Because its bad ass, that's why.

1710704827390.png

(( @Benzine ))

Ben Zine

Senor ember
Zine turns 90 degrees to face the west, and moon walks about two squares worth to the east, waving about his arms in an attempt to dance and seem cool. When Zine arrives at the square, he points again towards Kenkoo, and seductively casts eldritch blast on Kenkoo.

Zine then returns behind the boxes.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Zine turns 90 degrees to face the west, and moon walks about two squares worth to the east, waving about his arms in an attempt to dance and seem cool. When Zine arrives at the square, he points again towards Kenkoo, and seductively casts eldritch blast on Kenkoo.

Zine then returns behind the boxes.

Ben Zine unleashes an Eldritch Blast of unprecedented potency. The spell transforms into a beam of pure, dark energy that streaks across the space between them with unerring accuracy.

The impact is devastating. The Eldritch Blast hits the Kenku with such force that the creature is instantly enveloped in the spell's dark energy. For a brief moment, the Kenku's form is silhouetted against the glow of the arcane power, a figure caught in the grip of an unstoppable force. Then, in an instant, it evaporates—disintegrated by the overwhelming power of Ben Zine's attack. Only a few feathers, briefly suspended in the air where the Kenku once stood, mark the spot of its demise before fluttering down to the warehouse floor.

Kenku (singular) Turn

The last remaining Kenku, witnessing the formidable display of power from Ben Zine and the swift, lethal action taken by Nootie, finds itself isolated and facing the combined might of the adventurers. In a desperate bid to fend off what seems inevitable, the Kenku lunges at Lok Ahl, one of the spellcasters who has been instrumental in tilting the battle in their favor.

With a shortsword gripped tightly in its clawed hand, the Kenku swings at Lok Ahl, hoping to land a blow that might shift its dire circumstances. However, Lok, already on high alert from the ongoing combat and buoyed by the successes of his companions, is ready for the attack. He deftly sidesteps the clumsy swipe, the blade passing harmlessly by, failing to make contact.

1710792409966.png

(( @Joseph Snapple ))

Joseph Snapple

You don't know how to treat the Crypt Keeper!
Allowing herself a grunt of satisfaction at the erasure of one thieving bird, the half-orc's attention turns to the last survivor as it impotently swipes at the Goliath sorcerer. Eyes narrowing, she breaks into a measured eastward trot, a hand slipping to the one of the small axes affixed upon her hip as she moves. As she slides to a halt some thirty feet later, her right arm arcs upward before loosing the handaxe toward the bird's back.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
The axe spins through the air, a deadly projectile guided by intent and the desire to end the threat this Kenku poses. The weapon strikes true, embedding itself into the Kenku with a sickening thud that echoes through the warehouse. The force of the impact is significant, enough to severely injure the creature but, by some stroke of fortune or perhaps due to the resilience inherent in these avian adversaries, not enough to deliver a fatal blow.

The Kenku stumbles under the weight of the injury, pain flashing across its features as it grapples with the sudden, sharp agony.

1710878776255.png

(( @Christina ))

Cookie very gracefully makes her way over the boxes and towards the others as fast as her legs can carry her. ((To the square to the bottom right of the steps. Square F7 if the rows where letters and the columns where numbers.))

Cookie fires her crossbow at the last remaining Kenku.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
With the final Kenku severely injured and reeling from the Barbarian's hand-axe strike, the skirmish within the warehouse draws to its inevitable conclusion. Cookie, assessing the situation with a clear head and a steady hand, readies her crossbow once more. This time, her aim is true, her resolve unwavering. She understands the gravity of what must be done and the importance of ensuring the safety of her companions and herself.

The crossbow bolt is nocked, the string drawn back with precision. The Halfling Cleric takes a moment to aim, ensuring that her shot will be both effective and merciful. With a silent breath, she releases the bolt, sending it flying across the warehouse with lethal intent.

The bolt finds its mark with unerring accuracy, striking the injured Kenku. There's a moment of silence as the creature's form slumps to the ground, the finality of the shot evident in the stillness that follows. The last Kenku, a threat that had loomed over them in these tense minutes of battle, is no more.

The warehouse, once echoing with the sounds of combat, falls quiet, save for the ragged breaths of the party members as they come to terms with the encounter's end.

END OF COMBAT ENCOUNTER

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
In the aftermath of their hard-won victory, Lok Ahl feels a surge of triumphant energy coursing through him. Wanting to mark their success in a manner as bold and resonant as their battle, he decides to cast Thunderclap. The spell seems fitting for the moment—a declaration of their strength and unity in the face of adversity.

He steps forward, gathers the arcane energies required for the spell, and then releases them in a sudden, explosive sound that reverberates through the warehouse. The sound is deafening within the confines of the building, a sonic shockwave that washes over everyone and everything within.

However, just as the echoes of the Thunderclap begin to fade, the party's moment of celebration is interrupted by an unexpected noise. From behind the door at the back of the room, a distinct sound emerges—a creak, a shuffle, something that suggests movement. The noise is unmistakable, an indication that they are not alone in the warehouse and that the room beyond may hold more than just stored goods or forgotten relics.

But, more urgent than that even...who is this Half-Orc Barbarian who threw herself into the fray, looking to cut down every Kenku she saw?

Back
Top Bottom