Campaign Waterdeep: Dragon Heist (Chapter 1)

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Starring:

@Christina as Cookie Sweetmead

@Local Hero as Lok Ahl

@The Flame as Nootie Plucker

And introducing @Benzine as Ben Zine

~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to Waterdeep, the Crown of the North, where a wondrous tale of urban adventure is about to unfold. Our story begins with the gathering of adventurers at the Yawning Portal Inn and Tavern. Volothamp Geddarm, the famous explorer and raconteur, has a quest for them — one that entangles the characters in a bitter conflict between two nefarious organizations. If the adventurers complete his quest, Volo rewards them handsomely. Yet a much greater prize lies hidden somewhere in the City of Splendors, waiting to be claimed.

~~~~~~~~~~

1705712022878.png

The Yawning Portal, a legendary establishment in the heart of the bustling city of Waterdeep, stands as both a testament to adventure and a gateway to the unknown. A massive, round building with a sturdy stone exterior, the inn's most iconic feature is a circular well, almost 40 feet in diameter, that dominates its main common room. This well, known as the "Yawning Portal," is a direct passage to the ancient and mysterious Undermountain, a sprawling dungeon complex that holds untold secrets and dangers.

The common room itself is a lively and chaotic space, always teeming with a diverse array of patrons. Wooden tables, worn by countless tankards and the marks of adventures past, are scattered across the uneven stone floor. The air is thick with the aroma of hearty stews, sizzling meats, and the distinct scent of ale.

A large stone hearth crackles with warmth at one end of the room, providing a cozy respite for those seeking solace from the perils of the outside world. Overhead, a series of balconies and walkways encircle the main floor, offering additional seating and vantage points for the curious or the watchful.

The Yawning Portal is a haven for adventurers, mercenaries, and fortune-seekers from every corner of the realms. The buzz of animated conversations mixes with the occasional burst of laughter or the solemn recounting of daring tales. A bard in the corner strums a lute, weaving melodies that echo through the establishment, adding a touch of whimsy to the adventurous atmosphere.

The Yawning Portal is more than just an inn; it is a crossroads of destinies, a place where the bold come to test their mettle, and where the allure of the unknown beckons from the depths below...

Your party, has convened here tonight for a night of food, wine, and tales as you gather to catch each other up on your recent escapades...

~~~~~~~~~~

{{The onset of the game is reserved for your characters to converse and give each other an idea of what's going on in your lives and what has brought you to Waterdeep this winter. We'll proceed with this phase until at least everyone has had a chance to contribute.}}

Cookie talking at 1.5x speed in an almost too sweet and too cheerful tone.
By the gods! I can't believe I'm here! The Yawning Portal! What do you guys think has made this place so renowned? The food? The drink? The music? The customer service? The well? There has to be a whole ocean under a well that size! I wonder what is down there. How deep does it go? Oh! Ben, have you tried your drink? Is it good? Mine is good, but it's not as sweet as I like.

Nootie Plucker

Smart fella by day, fart smella by night
Nootie smiles warmly and sips his drink as Cookie rambles on.

"I don't know. Seems to be a lot of important and powerful-looking people coming and going 'round these parts, though. I'll say the food and drink has been mighty nice so long as I've been here, but that well is somethin' else. Kinda gives me the creeps." He shoots a wary glance toward the massive hole.

Nootie Plucker

Nootie gives a concerned squint towards the goliath.

"Hey pardner, I don't know what's got ya down, but we're mostly small folk over here. Got plenty of room for a big fella like you. You want a drink or somethin'?"

Oh! You remind me of Guadak Thundervoice! Visited at our garden once. Had the deapest voice you ever heard when he sang. Shook all the windows! Poor guy had to sit on the ground though. We didn't have a chair big enough for him. I made him a whole roast pig and he ate it all too! It was the best fun.

Ben Zine

Senor ember
Zine looks forwards, nodding softly. He's desperate to join in but the effort of speaking is too much yet still.

Digging deep, and wishing to connect with those sitting at the table with him, Zine takes a big gulp of his drink.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
You continue to sit and converse (or attempt to, in some cases). Plates of food are brought to your table and summarily picked clean. Mugs are filled and refilled. The sounds of gamblers yelling and drunken adventurers singing bawdy songs nearly drown out the off-key strumming of a young bard three tables over.

Then all the noise is eclipsed by a shout: "Ya pig! Like killin' me mates, does ya?" Then a seven-foot-tall half-orc is hit by a wild, swinging punch from a male human whose shaved head is covered with eye-shaped tattoos. Four other humans stand behind him, ready to jump into the fray. The half-orc cracks her knuckles, roars, and leaps at the tattooed figure — but before you can see if blood is drawn, a crowd of spectators clusters around the brawl.

Well that's not good. Somebody could get hurt.

Cookie turns to scan the room to see if there is anybody who's job it is to break up fights.

I wonder if they have somebody stops the ruff housing?

Reactions: TD

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Well that's not good. Somebody could get hurt.

Cookie turns to scan the room to see if there is anybody who's job it is to break up fights.

I wonder if they have somebody stops the ruff housing?
As you look around the common room, you notice the bartender keeping a keen eye on the events unfolding, and you also notice that he is keeping one hand hidden behind the bar while the other mindlessly wipes away with a rag.

You see a couple other employees of the tavern watching to see how things play out, but you get the impression they aren't necessarily equipped to prevent violence so much as clean up after it.

No one seems especially anxious. This is the Yawning Portal after all, and its a busy night as more people than usual are using this spot as a way to get out of the cold. Probably just the first brawl of the night, really.
Lok Ahl shouts sarcastically:

"Lok Ahl not like unfair fights. Need help humans?"

Lok Ahl stands up to see over the crowd.
((Can you make an Insight check, please?))

Ben Zine

Senor ember
Zine hurriedly says to the group, while really trying not to seem rushed at all,

Do we need to get involved? These clown shows happen all the time. And I think we'd gain just as much experience while watching.

Last edited:

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
((At the bottom of the screen, below the text box there should be a Roll Dice button. When you click that, it will give you the option of what dice you want to roll))

By the looks of the people working here, they don't seem too bothered. I'm guessing this is normal for this tavern. Definitely not the type of tavern I want to own. If somebody is too hurt at the end of this, I'm good at healing.

Nootie Plucker

Nootie turns in his chair to face the ruckus, but doesn't move. Despite the anxiety welling up in him, he knows this isn't totally out of the ordinary, and just keeps a safe distance.

Looking at those involved, he tries to recall if he recognizes any of them

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
((14. How do I paste it all fancy like Christina?

Nvm, I figured it out. Not sure if I have a modifier but I'll roll the right way in the future))

When the group of humans look back at you, you realize that they don't seem to be looking to you for support, but instead seem to be deciding whether or not you're a threat...as if they expect the half-orc to possibly have backup. This brawl is likely part of the constant posturing and warring between the different factions in Waterdeep.

Nootie turns in his chair to face the ruckus, but doesn't move. Despite the anxiety welling up in him, he knows this isn't totally out of the ordinary, and just keeps a safe distance.

Looking at those involved, he tries to recall if he recognizes any of them

You don't recognize any of the prospective brawlers, though there's something about the tattoos covering the human's head that you just know could be important.

Lok Ahl

When the group of humans look back at you, you realize that they don't seem to be looking to you for support, but instead seem to be deciding whether or not you're a threat...as if they expect the half-orc to possibly have backup. This brawl is likely part of the constant posturing and warring between the different factions in Waterdeep.
"This fighting makes me sad..."

I cast minor illusion to make a guard appear

Nootie Plucker

((My bad, was in a rush earlier and never used the rolling thing before so I forgot my +0 etc.

I'm assuming we haven't actually met or talked to Volo at all yet and we're just a bunch of randos sitting near each other?))

Nootie addresses Zine.
"Hey, you're welcome to get involved if you like, but this aint my fight"

Upon seeing Lok Ahl cast a spell, Nootie backs away from his spot at the table to distance himself from whatever is about to transpire.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
"This fighting makes me sad..."

I cast minor illusion to make a guard appear
((Minor Illusion cannot create an image of a humanoid, but I think I can tweak things to make your idea work?))

Minor Illusion: You create a sound or an image of an object within range that lasts for the duration. The illusion also ends if you dismiss it as an action or cast this spell again.

If you create a sound, its volume can range from a whisper to a scream. It can be your voice, someone else's voice, a lion's roar, a beating of drums, or any other sound you choose. The sound continues unabated throughout the duration, or you can make discrete sounds at different times before the spell ends.

If you create an image of an object--such as a chair, muddy footprints, or a small chest--it must be no larger than a 5-foot cube. The image can't create sound, light, smell, or any other sensory effect. Physical interaction with the image reveals it to be an illusion, because things can pass through it.

It looks as though the gang of humans is about to jump the half-orc, but the suddenly there's a call from the crowd:

"Halt this at once! Make way for the City Watch!"

The mysterious appearance of the City Watch freezes them in their tracks. There's a bit of confusion, as typically you only see members of the Watch in the Yawning Portal if they're off duty, and they're rarely there on official business. And then they quickly realize they cannot see the Guard.

But the moment's hesitation is all the half-orc requires, as she absolutely levels the tattooed man with a roundhouse punch, sending him sprawling to the floor. His compatriots waste no time in counter-attacking, the four of them jumping on the furious female half-orc and raining down blows.

Ben Zine

Senor ember
Zine lets his eye flit to all the "authority" figures within the Yawning Portal that he's familiar with (but can't find that image VashGod shared before to ask us who we knew in the pub) to see how to react. Zine also makes sure he has room to get forward shall his assistance be needed.

That was smart, Lok. At least let her get a punch in before they jumped her 4 on 1. Anybody recognize these tatoo guys. They seem like the biggest bunch of jerks.

Cookie starts judging the distance and how long it would take her to get over there after they are done to be able to at least help the orc from dying.

{{Here, @Benzine.Post in thread 'Session 0 - Waterdeep: Dragon Heist' https://gwforums.com/threads/session-0-waterdeep-dragon-heist.1586/post-96821

also @VashTheStampede how far away are we from the fight? }}

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
((Its relatively close to your table. You could be there in a flash if you wanted. About 2-3 tables away. The layout of the room is rather haphazard.))

Ben Zine

Senor ember
Is that Yagra?

If I know that that is Yagra, I speak into Yagra's mind and say sarcastically/obviously/in a way that makes it obvious that it's cheeky Zine, "Yagra, is this your God. Do you need help?"

Last edited:

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Now that you give the situation your full attention, you do recognize the half-orc being assaulted as Yagra Strongfist, a regular to the Tavern who is a mercenary employed by the Zhentarim.

Ben Zine

Senor ember
I speak into Yagra's mind and say sarcastically/obviously/in a way that makes it obvious that it's cheeky Zine,
"Yagra, this is your God. Do you need help?"

Last edited:

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Why do I need insight to talk to someone mentally? That was party the required text of the post.
((With Awakened Mind, which is what I gather you're using, you can put thoughts in her head but she cannot respond and you cannot read her mind.))

You are able to tell by watching her as you plant your message that she refuses to admit that she needs help.

You are also able to tell, because you have eyes, that if she doesn't get help, she's going to lose this battle, and lose it quickly.

Ben Zine

Senor ember
((I'd kinda expect her just to yell out haha))

Alright, I'm getting involved. But just in case, I'm just gonna yell out Meloooooooon!

Zine rushes in to throw a fist, and his body, into the fray.

((Do you want us to roll in advanced or anything? Tell me how I can best serve you))

Nootie Plucker

1706073304939.png

((Might take a round or so before he does anything major depending on what happens, but I'll join the initiative to keep things simple.

My dumbass completely forgot about the NPCs from other thread, I was so lost :chuckle))

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
As Ben Zine shoves his chair back and leaps into the fray, the friends of the tattooed man lay one last round of blows down upon Yagra, who finally drops to the floor, unconscious.

1706219990666.png

Initiative Order
Cookie
Enemy Round
Lok
Zine/Nootie (you guys decide who goes first)

• Chef’s Kiss
When Cookie sees Ben's friend Yagra drop unconscious, she feels the need of expediency. Concussions are no joke after all. These tattooed jerk faces need to be taken care of. They seem too keen on hurting people and ruining the nice Tavern atmosphere. Racing foward to meet the Tough Guy and pulling out her Cookie Shield and Giant Meat Mallet Mace that begins to glow with a purple light as she swings it with the intent of somebody who has butchered enough things to know just where the weak parts are.

Moving up to Tough Guy and casting Inflict Wounds at level 1

Nootie Plucker

((I think it makes more sense to let Benzine go before me since he was actually heading into the fray, unless he has any objections.

Also I think Nootie probably would've been more off to the west or north side since I had him backing away from the table a bit during the Minor Illusion. I was kind of imagining him in one of the others' spots in my head originally tbh, but either way he was trying to avoid being close to the commotion.))

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
As Cookie swings her mallet, she whispers an incantation, and as the final word leaves her lips a surge of dark, necrotic energy erupts from the mace, striking the gang member with a force that seems to defy the cleric's small stature. The spell she is invoking is known for its brutal efficacy, and she wields it in the name of truth and justice.

The energy envelops him, seeping into his body like a malevolent shadow. His confident sneer twists into a grimace of unbearable pain as the spell's power courses through him, ravaging his flesh from within. The gang member's body convulses violently under the spell's influence, and then, as quickly as it began, his movements cease

The tavern, once filled with the raucous noise of its patrons, falls into a stunned silence.

The Halfling Cleric, her mace still glowing faintly with the remnants of divine energy, stands over the fallen gang member, her expression solemn.

The remaining hoods are stunned momentarily...then gather themselves.

"OH MY GOD, SHE KILLED KENNETH!"

"GET HER!!!"

Hoodlum Turn

The three human toughs work in unison, as this isn't their first donnybrook.

Almost in a flash, they collapse upon the cleric and deliver three blows in quick succession. First a ruffian swings to take Cookie's head off with one swift stroke of his mace, but she deftly ducks the swing, using her short stature to her advantage. Then, a goon stabs forth with his rapier, but Cookie deflects that blow with a sudden shift of her shield. But evading three attacks at once proves too great a challenge for the young cleric, as the final hooligan critically connects with an overhead strike with his hammer. The impact is brutal and sudden, the sound of it echoing through the now hushed tavern...

Cookie takes 7 bludgeoning damage

(( @Local Hero is up next ))

• Chef’s Kiss
Back
Top Bottom