Campaign Waterdeep: Dragon Heist (Chapter 1)

Joseph Snapple

You don't know how to treat the Crypt Keeper!
As her battle-high fades, the half-orc takes small register of the approaching warlock and his aggressive questioning. Once more her eyes drift across the warehouse, an expression of seeming disappointment spreading across her face as she again accounts for the murdered Zhentarim splayed across the place. Her attention soon turns to the most recently-felled Kenku, and she wastes little time in striding toward it, answering the human's inquiry with only silence as she brushes past him to kneel at the fallen creature; her hands moving to retrieve her bloodies handaxe along with anything of note that may be on the bird's person.

Ben Zine

Senor ember
Zine's cheeks rise, a smile combined with pursed lips, as he looks towards Lok. Keeping the same face, and tilting his head to the right, he mind talks to Lok and says lol ok let's loot

While everybody else walks around and looks for stuff to take, Cookie begins examining the bodies. Checking them for tattoos to confirm they are all Zhentarim. Hoping none of them are Floon or Renaer.

So these Kenku worked for the Xanathar, which is a gang run by a fudgen Beholder. If these guys are Zhentarim that must mean these 2 gangs are beefing. What does this have to do with Floon and Renaer? Also anybody else worried about that sound from the back of the room? Maybe they were keeping Floon and Renaer in a closet back there?

Joseph Snapple

"Not worried about that," remarks the half-orc, the cleric's words apparently distracting her from her rifling. A hand raises and sweeps, pointing the retrieved and blooded hand-axe across the room. "More worried about those," she says, motioning toward the stairs, "and what might be waiting where they lead."

"And if I will find my kindling here after all."

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
While everybody else walks around and looks for stuff to take, Cookie begins examining the bodies. Checking them for tattoos to confirm they are all Zhentarim. Hoping none of them are Floon or Renaer.

(( I missed this earlier ))

Carefully navigating between the crates and barrels that dot the room, Cookie approaches the bodies, her eyes scanning for details that might shed light on the identities of these individuals and their affiliations. It doesn't take long for her to notice the distinct markings on some of the bodies—tattoos that serve as silent testaments to their allegiances in life.

On five of the bodies, she identifies the unmistakable symbol of the Zhentarim: the black winged snake. These tattoos, strategically placed and inked with precision, leave no doubt about the fallen individuals' connections to the notorious organization. The presence of Zhentarim members among the casualties suggests that they were involved in whatever conflict unfolded here prior to the party's arrival.

Among the other bodies, Cookie discovers a couple that bear the mark of the Xanathar Guild—the stylized eye surrounded by rays, emblematic of the beholder that leads this rival faction. The presence of these bodies, alongside those of the Zhentarim, paints a clear picture of a violent confrontation between the two factions, likely over control, territory, or resources within Waterdeep's shadowy underworld.

Good news. None of these people seem to be Floon. Bad news. We seemed to have stumbled into the middle of a gang war.

Cookie looks at the Half-orc.

I'm Cookie! I'm assuming you don't work for the Xanathar or Zhentarim? We are not trying to be involved in whatever this war is. We are just looking for a friend of a friend. A Mr. Floon.

Cookie pulls out her tinderbox and holds it out for the half-orc.

Here! Since you need something to start a fire with.

Joseph Snapple

As the cleric remarks on potential employers, the half-orc grimaces as if beset by chronic ache. Contrasting her earlier rage, a sense of distance begins to permeate her gaze.

"Wretheri," she remarks simply and dispassionately, "and no, I do not, as I assumed you did not when your friend attempted to collapse the building."

With cold regards to the offered tinderbox, she continues, albeit with a surprising sense of softness, "...and I thank you, but no. My purpose requires far more than that little box."

Cookie puts her tinderbox away.

Nice to meet you, Wretheri! Thank you for your help. You look like a good and agile fighter! So you need to start a really big fire? What are you burning down? I find small fires can turn into big fires easily with just some dry wood. Lots of dry wood around here with these crates. Did you hear that noise from the backroom over there? I'm worried to go find out what it is. I want it to be Floon but if its more kenku I have a couple of friends here that need a rest first. Those kenku are hard to have a conversation with. They just repeat things they have heard. I wonder if the dead guys in the street we passed were also Xanathar and Zhentarim? Seems like a really big issue between the two groups. Is that issue anything to do with the big fire you need to make? Are you cooking something big like a full pig? I can totally help you billed a spit for that. I season I full big roast with brown sugar, onion, garlic, cumin, paprika, chili powders, and some cayenne for a little heat. I make an amazing sweet and spicy sauce to serve with it too.

Nootie Plucker

Smart fella by day, fart smella by night
"Ehh I'm all fer a rest, but I aint sure if we have that kinda time or not. Whatever's down there probably heard the ruckus. I don't wanna leave Floon here alone, but this aint exactly the best place fer a picnic either."

((If you guys want a short rest, I'm down. Otherwise our cleric can heal us up and/or I could use my last slot on someone and go in crossbows only))

Joseph Snapple

"You say many things, halfling," notes the half-orc, "several of them delicious. But no, I am here solely for the Zhentarim. They are all that I require. This 'Floon' does not interest me, but may be useful, so let us see what else awaits us."

Back
Top Bottom