Campaign Waterdeep: Dragon Heist (Chapter 1)

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
The bartender, efficiently managing multiple orders and patrons, pauses to answer Ben Zine's question. "Each serving's 5 copper," he replies, offering a quick but friendly nod in Ben Zine's direction.

Lok Ahl

Lok says with naive Innocence, "So Mister Bram has been telling me about Froom! He was just getting to the part where he was remembering the person accompanying our missing friend."

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
"I said I didn't know who he left with! I was deep in my cups, okay? Was practically seeing double. Almost looked like he was walking himself out, with how much the other rich lookin' fella looked like him."

Ben Zine

Senor ember
How deep in your cups? When I was a lad who was struggling to remembers nights gone by, I'd find myself recalling them as I reached the same depths again...

Zine also communicates to Cookie and Nootie with mind speaking powers that they look the same to the best of his ability

Nootie Plucker

Smart fella by day, fart smella by night
Nootie says quietly to Cookie as he gets up from his stool, "I'm gonna try my luck with that guy in the corner. Keep an eye out if yer stayin' here."
He nods to his other companions and saunters over to the slumped over figure. He gives him a friendly pat on the shoulder and moves toward an empty chair at the man's table.
"Hey feller! Pardon my intrusion, but do ya mind? Can I get ya a drink or summin'?"

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
"Looked like him? Like a brother?"

"As best as I could tell...all these rich types look the same to hard workin' folk."

How deep in your cups? When I was a lad who was struggling to remembers nights gone by, I'd find myself recalling them as I reached the same depths again...

"That's the best idea I've heard all day," Bram replies, as he takes a healthy gulp from his quickly emptying mug.

Nootie says quietly to Cookie as he gets up from his stool, "I'm gonna try my luck with that guy in the corner. Keep an eye out if yer stayin' here."
He nods to his other companions and saunters over to the slumped over figure. He gives him a friendly pat on the shoulder and moves toward an empty chair at the man's table.
"Hey feller! Pardon my intrusion, but do ya mind? Can I get ya a drink or summin'?"

The inebriated patron blinks slowly at Nootie, his expression shifting from confusion to a drunken grin as he notices how empty his mug currently feels. "Ah, well now, that's kind of you! Sure, sure, sit down, sit down!" he slurs, gesturing vaguely towards the opposite chair.

Nootie Plucker

Nootie orders the man a drink from the bar and sits down.
"Thanks buddy. You come around here often? Was wonderin' if you could help me out with somethin'. You know a guy by the name o' Floon? Loud, friendly fella. Bit of a dumbass? I was here with 'em the other night but lost sight of 'em. And while normally that'd be fine by me, he owes me a bit of change. You didn't happen to see anything did ya?"

Last edited:

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
"Thanks buddy. You come around here often? Was wonderin' if you could help me out with somethin'. You know a guy by the name o' Floon? Loud, friendly fella. Bit of a dumbass? I was here with 'em the other night but lost sight of 'em. And while normally that'd be fine by me, he owes me a bit of change. You didn't happen to see anything did ya?"

(( Persuasion check with advantage please ))

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant

"Ah, Floon, yes... Floon," the man nods, his memory jogged by the mention of the name. "Saw him here not too long ago. He was with Volo, that writer fellow, always asking questions about everything. They were chatting over there," he gestures vaguely towards a corner of the tavern, "having a good time."

The patron takes another sip of his beer, his eyes unfocused as he tries to recall the events of that night. "But Volo, he left early, and then Floon, he starts playing cards. Three-Dragon Ante, it was. With Renaer Neverember, no less. Imagine that, Renaer, playing cards with the likes of us."

The man squints, trying to piece together his fragmented memories. "Well, they left together, Floon and Renaer, late into the night. Seemed friendly enough. But there was something... odd. After they left, about five guys, rough types, followed them out. Didn't think much of it then, but now that you mention it, it does seem a bit curious, doesn't it?"

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
The patron, spurred by Nootie's question, makes a show of looking around the tavern, his gaze sweeping over the various patrons currently occupying the Skewered Dragon. The alcohol might have dulled his senses, but the seriousness of Nootie's inquiry seems to lend him a momentary clarity. He squints and turns, trying to match faces in the dim light to his fuzzy recollection of that night.

After a thorough scan of the room, he turns back to Nootie, shaking his head slowly. "Nah, don't see 'em. This lot here today's the usual crowd—dockworkers, a few travelers. Those fellas who followed 'em out, they ain't here. Not today, at least."

Nootie Plucker

"Alright, well thanks friend. I'll leave ya be. Enjoy yer drink" He stands up, tipping his hat to the man, and returns to the bar. He relays what he learned to Cookie, and tries to make eye contact with the two questioning Bram. "Cookie, you know anything about this Renaer fella? I aint too familiar with this town. Sounds like a noble of some sort?"

Cookie looks at Nootie wanting to answer him, but to do so would mean stopping her ritual cast of detect magic and starting all over again. She continues to mumble the incantation and wiggle her fingers just so, hoping she will be done casting this spell any time now.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Cookie looks at Nootie wanting to answer him, but to do so would mean stopping her ritual cast of detect magic and starting all over again. She continues to mumble the incantation and wiggle her fingers just so, hoping she will be done casting this spell any time now.

As she completes the ritual, Cookie's senses extend beyond the mundane, allowing her to perceive the magical auras that signify the presence of magic in objects or individuals. She opens her eyes, now attuned to the magical spectrum, and surveys the tavern's interior with keen interest.

However, as she scans the room, looking for the telltale glow of magical auras that Detect Magic would reveal, she finds the tavern devoid of any such signatures. The objects, patrons, and even the structure of the Skewered Dragon itself show no signs of being magical in nature. Everything within her field of vision appears entirely mundane, with no hidden enchantments or magical items to be found.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Nootie thinks real hard to see if he knows anything about Renaer. So hard in fact that he definitely passes his history check with flying colors

You are well aware of the name Neverember, particularly because of Dagult Neverember's significant and contentious role in Waterdeep's recent history. Dagult is the former Open Lord of Waterdeep, and a figure whose actions and policies have left a lasting impact on the city. You do not know the name Renaer, however.

Lok Ahl

Lok goes back to the table and fills Cookie in regarding what the dockworker said. "That fellow said the last person he saw with Floomy was someone who looked like him. Do you think Volo lied to us?"

The guy Nootie talked to, said Floon left with Neveremeber. That they were followed out by some guys that are not regulars here. I haven't been in this town long but we got lots of stories from people passing through our front garden. Let me think. Neverember....hmmm....

History check?

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Renaer Neverember is known primarily as the son of Dagult Neverember, the former Open Lord of Waterdeep and a figure of considerable influence and controversy within the city's political landscape. Dagult's tenure was marked by ambitious projects and policies but also by rumors of corruption and power struggles, which eventually led to his ousting from power. Following his departure from Waterdeep, Dagult Neverember took up a position of power in the city of Neverwinter, further complicating his legacy.

Renaer, in contrast to his father, has sought to distance himself from the political machinations and controversies associated with the Neverember name. Despite his noble lineage, Renaer has shown a preference for a more adventurous and less public life. He is known among certain circles as a capable swordsman and has been involved in various expeditions and adventures across the Sword Coast.

Unlike his father, Renaer has endeavored to maintain a low profile, often mingling with common folk and adventurers rather than the nobility of Waterdeep. His actions suggest a desire to be judged on his own merits rather than his family's reputation. However, his connection to the Neverember name still attracts attention and speculation regarding his intentions and affiliations.

Renaer's relationship with his father is complex, marked by a mixture of respect and a clear desire for independence. This dynamic has fueled rumors and gossip about potential rifts and reconciliations between the two, though Renaer rarely speaks publicly about his father or their relationship.

So I'm think Floon may have just been with the wrong person at the wrong time. Maybe he left with Renaer at the time some group was after Renaer. Renaer is from a rich family, could be a ransom type thing. I think we see if Renaer is missing too. If he's not, he might give us a lead on Floon, if he is...then I guess we are looking for 2 guys, but maybe his family has heard something.

Nootie Plucker

"Maybe Volo will have some information for us on the guy. If he likes adventure, he sounds like his type. Maybe they hang out at the same places.

... Er at the very least could tell us what these two look like. If Renaer and Floon look alike, maybe one of em was disguised as the other to... throw people off?

Lok Ahl

"Maybe Volo will have some information for us on the guy. If he likes adventure, he sounds like his type. Maybe they hang out at the same places.

... Er at the very least could tell us what these two look like. If Renaer and Floon look alike, maybe one of em was disguised as the other to... throw people off?
"Lok doesn't trust Volo. I wouldn't take everything he says as the truth."

Nootie Plucker

"I couldn't care less if he's telling the truth to be honest with ya. I don't need the money all that badly. But if he wants his friend back, he better be. Who else do we even have aside from random tavern drunks? At least with Volo we don't have to buy him drinks to make him talk"

Nootie! Did you ask that drunk guy what the 5 guys who followed them out looked like? These brigands around here seem to have tattoos to mark what gamg their in.

Cookie eyes go wide.

Do you guys think thise bodies we passed had to do with thise guys? Renaer knows how to use a sword he could have killed some trying to fight them off!

Nootie Plucker

"I guess I'm not opposed to just showin' up at the guy's house. Do you know where to find the place?

And ahh no I did not. Forgot all about that. Hold on"

Nootie awkwardly heads back to the drunk guy.
"Hey uhh, none of them fellers happened to have tattoos did they?"

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Nootie awkwardly heads back to the drunk guy.
"Hey uhh, none of them fellers happened to have tattoos did they?"

The patron, swaying slightly and lowering his voice, says, "Nah, they weren't flaunting any flashy tattoos like those Xanathar Guild goons love to. But, mark my words, they had this... this subtle thing about 'em. Saw one of 'em adjust his sleeve and there it was, clear as the day, a black winged snake. Couldn't mistake it. They're Zhentarim, for sure. Had that look about 'em, you know? The kind that says they're in deep, deep trouble but too cool to show it."

Ben Zine

Senor ember
Zine intimates the complex idea of a power struggle to his pals between the Zhentarim and Xanathar, while quite drunks, via his mind power.

Let's go look more on those fellas who've been killed on the way here?

Nootie Plucker

((So I went back through things to remember who the Zhentarim and such are. Do we know what happened with Yagra? It kinda looks like she was knocked unconscious, we all jumped in to save her, and she was never mentioned again lol. Hopefully our forgetfulness didn't lead to her death because she could be an option too.

Also, anything else you guys think I should ask this drunk dude about before I leave him be? I feel like we're probably good to move on, right?))

((I can't think of anything else to ask the drunk about unless you want to try and see what he knows of the Zhentarim. I'm just going to say Cookie some how heard him to help speed things up a bit))

Cookie upon hearing the word Zhentarim begins to searches her mind for any information about them. She looks almost like she is meditating in her effort to channel the knowledge she needs at this moment.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
((I can't think of anything else to ask the drunk about unless you want to try and see what he knows of the Zhentarim. I'm just going to say Cookie some how heard him to help speed things up a bit))

Cookie upon hearing the word Zhentarim begins to searches her mind for any information about them. She looks almost like she is meditating in her effort to channel the knowledge she needs at this moment.

The Zhentarim, also known as the Black Network, is a shadowy syndicate whose influence stretches across much of Faerûn. Originally founded as a mercenary group, the Zhentarim has evolved over the years into a powerful organization with its hands in various enterprises, both legal and illicit. Their operations include espionage, smuggling, trade, and the acquisition of magical items and secrets, all aimed at increasing their wealth and power.

Central to the Zhentarim's philosophy is the belief in personal power and influence as the keys to achieving one's goals. Members are encouraged to advance their status within the organization through cunning, resourcefulness, and strength. This has led to a highly competitive and often ruthless internal culture, with factions within the Zhentarim vying for power and influence.

It has long sought to gain political influence in Waterdeep, but the strength of the city's Masked Lords, nobility, and professional guilds makes that difficult.

Zhentarim members in the Dock Ward have been known to frequent a warehouse on Candle Lane.

Sometimes it's best to keep it simple! It's in the area, so if you were going to drag off people unnoticed you would probably not want to go far.

We should get out of here before Ben drinks so much he can't walk. I'll have to come back for more of this salmon another time.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Armed with the information gathered from the Skewered Dragon, the party decides to investigate Candle Lane, a location known for its dimly lit pathways and as a place where members of the Zhentarim are rumored to congregate, particularly in one of the warehouses. The potential connection to Floon's disappearance, given the Zhentarim's involvement, makes this lead too significant to ignore.

Candle Lane lives up to its reputation. Gloom envelops a narrow alley as dark as a dungeon — and as odorous as one, too. Nearly all the streetlamps have been smashed. The only light that pierces the darkness is a faint flickering from down the Lane, like a distant candle. The flickering flame casts long, dancing shadows, adding to the Lane's eerie atmosphere. The buildings lining the street are closely packed and run-down, bearing the marks of neglect and the passage of countless unseen transactions and encounters.

Back
Top Bottom